Any questions about BU Law?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:11 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:Hey Blindmelon, I'm also a New Englander (Bostonian in fact), and I'm wondering why you chose to apply to BU and not BC (assuming your profile is accurate). What did you see in BU that was missing from BC?


I got into both. They're both pretty equal in terms of prestige and placement, but BU had more of what I wanted. I preferred the location, I think the professors at BU rival a lot of top schools, and I preferred the feel/social life. I'm also 2 years out of school, and I think BC appeals to more people that are straight from undergrad because from what I hear its a little tighter, but BU just felt better for me at least.



Could you elaborate on that? What do you mean by tight? Would you say that BU has a more professional atmosphere or something along those lines?


I can't really comment too much as I don't go to BC, but from what I here BC has more of a campus and more of a college feel. I've made a ton of awesome friends at BU though, so its not like BU people are antisocial or anything. In fact, theres a ton of law school events and they're usually pretty fun.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:12 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:Hey Blindmelon, I'm also a New Englander (Bostonian in fact), and I'm wondering why you chose to apply to BU and not BC (assuming your profile is accurate). What did you see in BU that was missing from BC?


I got into both. They're both pretty equal in terms of prestige and placement, but BU had more of what I wanted. I preferred the location, I think the professors at BU rival a lot of top schools, and I preferred the feel/social life. I'm also 2 years out of school, and I think BC appeals to more people that are straight from undergrad because from what I hear its a little tighter, but BU just felt better for me at least.



Could you elaborate on that? What do you mean by tight? Would you say that BU has a more professional atmosphere or something along those lines?


I can't really comment too much as I don't go to BC, but from what I here BC has more of a campus and more of a college feel. I've made a ton of awesome friends at BU though, so its not like BU people are antisocial or anything. In fact, theres a ton of law school events and they're usually pretty fun.


That is a huge deal- I will be coming straight from Ohio State into law school so I am really big on the collegial atmosphere

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:14 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:As someone who hopes Tom Trump Supporter Brady gets his collarbone broken sometime in the next hour, will I feel very bitter in Boston?

Sorry, I already know the answer to that question. ;)

Just out of curiosity, how would one "work the connections"? As in, are you talking about standard protocol via programs and institutions or "off the record" getting to know professors and people and asking around?


You have to do it all in law school. The CDO does have a lot of lunches and advising sessions with alumni they set up which is easy networking and the alumni that come usually come because they really want to help. Every other week I'd say theres a sign up for 10 or so people to have lunch with sometimes a partner at a big firm or a DA or federal government employee, etc and they're usually really helpful and free food is always nice. I haven't really gotten to know my professors, but thats my own fault.

User avatar
OneKnight
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby OneKnight » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:16 pm

BU's on my list - I'm a ~4.0 LSAC/166 hoping for some money. Any idea whether ITE will cause some of BU's "generosity" to dry up?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:18 pm

OneKnight wrote:BU's on my list - I'm a ~4.0 LSAC/166 hoping for some money. Any idea whether ITE will cause some of BU's "generosity" to dry up?


Doubtful. Merit aid is hard to come by, but financial aid is plentiful. I think over 20% of the class gets half scholarships and like 5-10 gets full.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:50 pm

A little more BU puffing, last week someone in another section's computer crash and she didn't back up any of her notes/outlines. Within 2 days, people in her section were bombarding her with their notes an even some people gave up their outlines. Doesn't get any less cut-throat than this.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby ruleser » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:12 pm

Thanks for taking the time.

Do students live scattered all over the city, or is there one or a couple general areas they live in? Do they socialize together?

Are there good clinical ops, and academic 'centers' that students seem to like?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:48 pm

ruleser wrote:Thanks for taking the time.

Do students live scattered all over the city, or is there one or a couple general areas they live in? Do they socialize together?

Are there good clinical ops, and academic 'centers' that students seem to like?


Most people live within a 10 - 20 min T ride away from campus. Theres graduate student housing right on campus, but its super overpriced. I live within a few blocks of at least 5 people from my section, and everyone seems to congregate at the same bars. For the most part, everyone is really social.

You need to be a little more specific with the second one... I'm only a 1L, but I know that I'll be trying to get into the legislative drafting clinic where they pair you with state congressmen to work on bills/policy, etc. I'll probably also end up doing the DC semester program which is a semester and you get full credit. If you have specific interests in something (health, etc.) let me know and I'll ask around.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby ruleser » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Wow, that legislative drafting clinic sounds awesome, as does the dc one - is there a law and econ center?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:38 pm

ruleser wrote:Wow, that legislative drafting clinic sounds awesome, as does the dc one - is there a law and econ center?


Not that I know of. My classes do tend to have a much more econ. bend than I expected. My Civ Pro professor assigned his book which is all about economics and procedure... really interesting. My contracts professor is also in love with Posner and talks about efficiency/utility etc. My torts professor, however, stays about as far away from econ as possible.

http://web.bu.edu/law/prospective/jd/cl ... ation.html - if you're interested in IR, I hear good things about the Africa clinic.

Externship program: http://web.bu.edu/law/prospective/jd/clinics/sipp.html

I'll be hitting this up: Government Lawyering in Washington, D.C. - Students work in a government office in Washington. Examples include opportunities with the staff of a Congressional committee or subcommittee, in the legal office of an administrative agency, or with a federal board/commission.

Fuser
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Fuser » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks for the info Blindmelon. I know you are a 1L but do you happen to know if OCI this year was significantly smaller than last year? Also based on what you know or maybe have friends who are 2L's do a lot of people head to NYC after graduation?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Fuser wrote:Thanks for the info Blindmelon. I know you are a 1L but do you happen to know if OCI this year was significantly smaller than last year? Also based on what you know or maybe have friends who are 2L's do a lot of people head to NYC after graduation?


In general, about 25% I think go to NYC and in a good economy, BU does well for NYC-biglaw. I don't know many 2/3ls but word on the street is that things aren't great if you're looking to get into a NYC firm. People had tons of interviews at OCI this year, but I've only heard a few pieces of good news about callbacks/offers, etc. I know of a few who have biglaw jobs in Boston/NYC, but it definitely isn't what it used to be.

Also, tons of people I know are going here and dead set on working in NYC. A lot took BU or Fordham and most seem confident. I have no interest in NYC, so I haven't looked into it to much.

User avatar
Zannie1986
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Zannie1986 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:23 pm

how does all the logic that you 'learn' (slightly memorize?) from LSATs actually end up coming into play in law school? I mean, when you get to college it's not really like anyone expects you to know the 1000 most common vocab words found on the SAT, but freshmen throw them around to impress and look like tools; I was wondering if it is assumed you remember and apply LSAT learning to your studies or that logic rules sort of get thrown out the window and everyone is sort of back on a middleground/ same playing field where cases and concepts are introduced with logic. If the last time you took the LSATs/logic was like 2 years ago should you brush up?

User avatar
Zannie1986
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Zannie1986 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:23 pm

i know that wasn't specific to BU, but thanks anyway

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Zannie1986 wrote:how does all the logic that you 'learn' (slightly memorize?) from LSATs actually end up coming into play in law school? I mean, when you get to college it's not really like anyone expects you to know the 1000 most common vocab words found on the SAT, but freshmen throw them around to impress and look like tools; I was wondering if it is assumed you remember and apply LSAT learning to your studies or that logic rules sort of get thrown out the window and everyone is sort of back on a middleground/ same playing field where cases and concepts are introduced with logic. If the last time you took the LSATs/logic was like 2 years ago should you brush up?


No logic needed. Legal rules/analysis can give you a lot to juggle mentally, but I see 0 correlation between LSAT score and comprehension of the material. I was at the 25th perc. for BU's lsat when I got in and am very comfortable with the material. You don't need to prepare for LS, they prepare you well your first month.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Doritos » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions melon its very helpful.

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi! Not sure if you're still watching this thread but I went to BU for UG and am seriously considering going to BU for the JD/MA in international relations program (already accepted). I have a few questions:

1. When did you receive your scholarship info? Was it sent to you with your acceptance letter or did you get it later on? Can you up your money if you're grades are stellar?

2. Do you know anyone who's pursuing a dual-degree at BU? Do they like it?

3. Are you considering participating in a study abroad program? Know anyone who did? (I did one in UG and it was the most amazing time of my life - curious to know if BU's law programs are just as good.)

EDIT: one more question - I know BU undergrad doesn't rank. Does BU Law? Thanks!

Go Terriers!! :D

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Hi! Not sure if you're still watching this thread but I went to BU for UG and am seriously considering going to BU for the JD/MA in international relations program (already accepted). I have a few questions:

1. When did you receive your scholarship info? Was it sent to you with your acceptance letter or did you get it later on? Can you up your money if you're grades are stellar?

2. Do you know anyone who's pursuing a dual-degree at BU? Do they like it?

3. Are you considering participating in a study abroad program? Know anyone who did? (I did one in UG and it was the most amazing time of my life - curious to know if BU's law programs are just as good.)

EDIT: one more question - I know BU undergrad doesn't rank. Does BU Law? Thanks!

Go Terriers!! :D


BU does a merit/need based aid mix in January. Mine was mostly need-based I'm pretty sure, but I know of others who got schollys later in the cycle. I also know of at least one person to negotiated more money after getting grades back.
I only know of one person doing a dual degree program, and its at Tufts at the Fletcher school of diplomacy. She loves it, but it does add a ton to debt (I considered it, but I'm trying to leave with under 100k in loans). I know a few people who are trying to get into the IR school now, and I've heard good things.
BU supposedly has amazing study abroad opportunities... just look on the website. I did abroad in UG and have traveled around, so I'm not really interested, but I know a lot of people really loved it.

BU, as most law schools, does rank. For first years though, only the top 10% gets informed where they rank. It isn't until second year that they tell you if you're top 1%, 10%, or top 1/3. Outside of that, theres no real rankings.

zizou
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby zizou » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:Hi! Not sure if you're still watching this thread but I went to BU for UG and am seriously considering going to BU for the JD/MA in international relations program (already accepted). I have a few questions:

1. When did you receive your scholarship info? Was it sent to you with your acceptance letter or did you get it later on? Can you up your money if you're grades are stellar?

2. Do you know anyone who's pursuing a dual-degree at BU? Do they like it?

3. Are you considering participating in a study abroad program? Know anyone who did? (I did one in UG and it was the most amazing time of my life - curious to know if BU's law programs are just as good.)

EDIT: one more question - I know BU undergrad doesn't rank. Does BU Law? Thanks!

Go Terriers!! :D


BU does a merit/need based aid mix in January. Mine was mostly need-based I'm pretty sure, but I know of others who got schollys later in the cycle. I also know of at least one person to negotiated more money after getting grades back.
I only know of one person doing a dual degree program, and its at Tufts at the Fletcher school of diplomacy. She loves it, but it does add a ton to debt (I considered it, but I'm trying to leave with under 100k in loans). I know a few people who are trying to get into the IR school now, and I've heard good things.
BU supposedly has amazing study abroad opportunities... just look on the website. I did abroad in UG and have traveled around, so I'm not really interested, but I know a lot of people really loved it.

BU, as most law schools, does rank. For first years though, only the top 10% gets informed where they rank. It isn't until second year that they tell you if you're top 1%, 10%, or top 1/3. Outside of that, theres no real rankings.


My understanding, taken from the Academic Regulations, is that after 1L the school releases top 10% GPA cutoff and then informs the top 5 people in each section of their rank (3 sections of about 100 people, so ~top 5%) at the end of the year.

For 2L and 3L the school again releases the top 10% cutoff (for both that year and overall) and informs the top 15 students of their class rank.

If this actually is the case, it is pretty annoying. Especially for those people in the top 10% but not the top 5 (ie: number 6 could only represent themselves as top 10%) and for people who have good grades but are not in the top 10%.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby cherryalamode » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Hey,

Thank you so much for being on this forum.

BU is definitely EXTREMELY high up for me on my list, along with BC (which I shall decide for myself)...

From your experiences, when you decide on a concentration, do you choose all your classes and clinics and even externship opportunities based on that concentration? Or do you spread out a little? Do a little of several branches of law? My question definitely pertains to post 1L, of course...

Thank you so much!

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:37 pm

predetermined wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:Is the campus as bad as they say?


Its definitely not pretty, but its ridiculously easy to get to by public transport (literally right off the T). It is right next to the student union which has a ton of food options, the grad student cafeteria, the grad student pub, some decent cheap restaurants, and a bar with great trivia that a lot of law students head to at night.

As for the building itself, its an eyesore, but you quickly grow to love it. Everything you could possibly need is right there, and has tons of study rooms, social areas, lockers, and nooks and crannies so you can definitely find a good spot pretty quickly.

Its like having an ugly baby, you and your classmates can make fun of it, but when other people do you take it personally.

Is the building ugly on both the inside and outside? I was watching their floor-by-floor video and thought the interior looked fine.


Its just the outside... the inside is kept up nicely.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm

cherryalamode wrote:Hey,

Thank you so much for being on this forum.

BU is definitely EXTREMELY high up for me on my list, along with BC (which I shall decide for myself)...

From your experiences, when you decide on a concentration, do you choose all your classes and clinics and even externship opportunities based on that concentration? Or do you spread out a little? Do a little of several branches of law? My question definitely pertains to post 1L, of course...

Thank you so much!


I only know about 1L... also, I'm not going to concentrate in anything really. I'll just take what I find interesting. BU is pretty up there in IP/Health, so those people seem to know they want to specialize already. Also, each concentration has clinics attached to it (International/Health, etc).. there are zillions of clinics, just check out the site.

User avatar
Steven Perry
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:46 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Steven Perry » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm planning on going directly to law school out of undergrad, and I'm also relatively young for my graduating class. I saw that you said BC tends to venture more towards the traditional college atmosphere, but BU is near the top of my list because of what I've heard about the quality of professors, and BU's health law. Do you think coming straight out of undergrad will hurt me that much?

Also, what are the costs of housing, food, and basic living materials like?

And how technology friendly is the campus/tower?

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:46 pm

Steven Perry wrote:I'm planning on going directly to law school out of undergrad, and I'm also relatively young for my graduating class. I saw that you said BC tends to venture more towards the traditional college atmosphere, but BU is near the top of my list because of what I've heard about the quality of professors, and BU's health law. Do you think coming straight out of undergrad will hurt me that much?

Also, what are the costs of housing, food, and basic living materials like?

And how technology friendly is the campus/tower?


Nope. The definite majority of students are straight out of UG. Theres enough socials, etc. that you won't have to worry about there not being enough UGy type things.

Technology-wise I bet its the same as every school. Wireless and plugs wherever you go.

Um... COL really varies by person. I know of people who pay WAY too much and live in gorgeous apartments (even if you're parents are paying for LS, don't waste your money on 1100 a month of rent).

I pay 650$ a month, heat and hot water included, for a room in a 3 bedroom 1 bath right across from a T stop. Its right near a very student area with tons of bars/restaurants so going out is never a problem. Its takes me about 20 mins to get to school. If you want to live on your own, it'll be about 900$ a month for a studio. Transportation is 60$ a month unlimited public transportation. I spend about 20$ on beer/pizza a week, and about 30$ on groceries. I know people that spend a lot more than that, and somehow, a lot less.

Does that answer your Q?

User avatar
Steven Perry
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:46 am

Re: Any questions about BU Law?

Postby Steven Perry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Pretty well actually, though I did think of another one.

When you looked for housing where did you start? I have some family that live about an hour outside the city so I have a decent base to start form, but I would have no idea when the best time to start shopping around is.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests