Chicago 1L Taking Questions!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chicago-gunner123

Re: Chicago 1L Taking Questions!

Postby chicago-gunner123 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:05 pm

KiltedKicker wrote:If this thread is being revived, I'd love to ask a couple of questions...

I'm interested in working in corporate tech/entrepreneurial law in the Bay Area post-grad (obviously that isn't specific, that's just my general interest going in). I'm curious how Chicago will place for those types of jobs compared to schools like Cal, NYU, Columbia, and Michigan?

I can't compare Chicago to the other schools, but I can say anecdotally that a lot of people from my class (current 2L) will be working in the Bay-Area and did not have problem getting callbacks/offers there during OCI. A lot of Bay-area firms come to OCI. It definitely helps to have ties, but as long as you have a coherent story, every/any geographic area should be open to you.

KiltedKicker wrote:How hard is it to get into clinics? I've heard difficult. If I really want to get into the Entrepreneurial clinic, is it possible I'd never be able to do that?

The clinics are not hard to get into at all, this is not something I would be worried about. All you have to do is enroll in them. If you want to do a clinic over the summer, the corporate lab is the most competitive to get into, but the rest are much less so. And as I said, to join a clinic during the school year you just have to enroll.

skers

Re: Chicago 1L Taking Questions!

Postby skers » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:50 pm

KiltedKicker wrote:If this thread is being revived, I'd love to ask a couple of questions...

I'm interested in working in corporate tech/entrepreneurial law in the Bay Area post-grad (obviously that isn't specific, that's just my general interest going in). I'm curious how Chicago will place for those types of jobs compared to schools like Cal, NYU, Columbia, and Michigan?

How hard is it to get into clinics? I've heard difficult. If I really want to get into the Entrepreneurial clinic, is it possible I'd never be able to do that?

Would Chicago's prestige give me an advantage over Cal in getting a clerkship on the west coast?

I wouldn't make school decisions based on clerkships unless we are talking Yale/Harvard/Stanford v another option and even then, clerking is still going to come down to doing really well in law school. Also, seems weird to ask about clerking if you want to do VC work, so that's probably another good reason not to be basing decisions there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”