Chicago 1L Taking Questions! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RussianGirl

New

Re: Chicago 1L Taking Questions!

Post by RussianGirl » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:08 pm

freeflowfox wrote:I just want to do public interest, I don't want to be forced by debt to do big law.
uhhhh.... dude, I love my school, but our LRAP... uhhh

NYU's lrap is sweet. But only do that if you're sure you wanna do PI cause living in Manhattan will double your debt :)

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:53 am

freeflowfox wrote:I just want to do public interest, I don't want to be forced by debt to do big law.
Speaking as someone who wants to do public interest but took out full loans...

Chicago's LRAP is not that great, but when you factor in the new federal loan repayment assistance (there's a thread somewhere about the specific terms of it), and the fact that cost of living here is wayyyyy lower than the NY schools, it is feasible to do public interest. You won't be living it up like your biglaw friends, but you won't be eating ramen every night either.

freeflowfox

New

Post by freeflowfox » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:36 am

Unfortunately i'm canadian... and are not eligible for US gov't debt forgiveness.

and it's funny you mention that, because for 90% of the past four months I've been eating Ramen for lunch... can't afford anything else.

marburger06

New

Post by marburger06 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:07 pm

freeflowfox wrote:Unfortunately i'm canadian... and are not eligible for US gov't debt forgiveness.

and it's funny you mention that, because for 90% of the past four months I've been eating Ramen for lunch... can't afford anything else.
Yikes, in that case, go wherever gives you the best scholly, or prepare for biglaw...

UChicagoStudent

New

Post by UChicagoStudent » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Recieved a Personal Message from someone, thought it might be helpful to include it on this page.
Hi,

I'm really sorry to bother you, but in the below post you said that you were admitted in the first round of decisions (in early December) for Chicago. I'm assuming you applied RD because you had to pick between schools?

I'm applying RD to Chicago now, and my status changed to under review with the first batch of RD applicants on 11/25. I have pretty unlikely stats for admittance (3.49/172) and was wondering whether you knew the following:

1. Were there people who went under review at the same time as your application but didn't receive a decision until much later (especially for people with mediocre stats)?

2. For the phone calls for admitted people, did they leave voice mails if they couldn't contact you? I'm not allowed to carry my phone into work, which absolutely drives me nuts.

I've looked at LSN, and I'm pretty much on the border between the green and the yellow/red, but I'm excited that Chicago is even looking at me!
In regards to your first question, yes, there were many people who went under review the same time as me (I think they take some people in batches) I applied w/in 1 month of the opening deadline - and I recived admission in early January. I think there were many other people who went under review at the same time. I think that they sent out the phone calls all on a day or two, and then the next few weeks after that, they would end up putting people on the waitlist sporadically (It has been almost a year, so I'm not 100% sure I remember this correctly).

I am not sure if they leave voicemails, but I would assume that they would if you got in. The area code was a 773 one, so if you see that pop up on your caller ID - PICK UP!!

That being said, Chicago did have a record number of applicants so far this year, with higher quality than last year (I heard this from the Dean of Admissions personally). There is a stronger focus on GPA as well, with a 3.76/171 being the median last year, that is sure to rise as well, so a 3.49 might be tough to float to the adcomms.

Keep an eye on these message boards and you will probably get a good sense of when people are gettign calls. Don't freak out if you get waitlisted, I do know a lot of people who got in off the waitlist.

Best of Luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:04 pm

Last year they did some RD acceptances before Christmas (I applied in September). I got an email, and they called my work phone and left a voice mail. They never did call my cell phone, though. If there's good news, they will find a way to get it to you, don't worry.

Good luck!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Does Chicago provide a travel stipend to visit during ASW? I'm kind of poor, and want to know if I'll be out a lot of dough if I end up getting in.

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:22 pm

would it be strange socially (or stigmatized) to live in regents with two chicago undergrad students? one of my best friends will be a senior at chicago next year, and i figure it might be fun to live with him and his current roommate. i'm also thinking it might be a nice break from seeing the same people every day at school, especially considering how small the school is, but being in regents still allows me the benefits of living in the same building as a bunch of other 1Ls

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:01 pm

Kretzy wrote:Does Chicago provide a travel stipend to visit during ASW? I'm kind of poor, and want to know if I'll be out a lot of dough if I end up getting in.
last year it was $200, offered to everyone. My plane ticket ended up costing ~$300, so I paid $100 out of pocket. Not a bad deal, considering free housing, meals, and booze. Treatment-wise, it was the best ASW, hands down. Big selling point for Chicago in my book.
gotmilk? wrote:would it be strange socially (or stigmatized) to live in regents with two chicago undergrad students?
Dude. You are an adult, and you should do what makes you happy. If people judge you because you live with an undergrad, they probably suck. Direct answer: no one cares.

Also, I am too lazy to write my lengthy thoughts on choosing a law school or the environment at U of C, but if anyone has any specific questions, feel free to chat me on AIM. S/n is Private Mellish.

P.S. Because I know you are going to ask, it's from Saving Private Ryan. Mellish was the Jewish private. Representin'

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:43 pm

gotmilk? wrote:would it be strange socially (or stigmatized) to live in regents with two chicago undergrad students?
Dude. You are an adult, and you should do what makes you happy. If people judge you because you live with an undergrad, they probably suck. Direct answer: no one cares. [/quote]

thanks for being straight up. people that actually know me would tell you that i do not and have never cared about what other people think of me socially... don't know what i was thinking there. thanks for calling me out/being straight up and making me realize that i was being silly; i needed that.

can't wait to come to chicago!

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:15 am

RussianGirl wrote: last year it was $200, offered to everyone. '
wasn't gonna go, but this definitely changes things.

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:14 am

echoi wrote:
RussianGirl wrote: last year it was $200, offered to everyone. '
wasn't gonna go, but this definitely changes things.
+1 most definitely.

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:05 am

lol, gotmilk?, sorry, I didn't mean to "call you out." It's normal to worry about adjusting to a new environment, so your question totally has merit. I was simply answering your question, but I think it came off a little more forward than I meant it. Anyway, I just think that at this stage of life you should put your own comfort and well-being above what other people think of you socially, but you seem to understand this anyway. In any case, you will be fine. Don't worry so much... you are going to love U of C, and people are going to love you. Just enjoy your life and do what makes you happy in your free time - that's the only way to keep your sanity during 1L anyway.

Come to ASW. It will be awesome.

Welcome to THE Law School 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:09 pm

I've read that Chicago's legal education has an economic slant, or somehow revolves around economic theory? I'm probably phrasing that all wrong, but is it true? If yes, how so?

Also, how do you find having quarters instead of semesters?

UChicagoStudent

New

Post by UChicagoStudent » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:15 am

DanInALionsDen wrote:I've read that Chicago's legal education has an economic slant, or somehow revolves around economic theory? I'm probably phrasing that all wrong, but is it true? If yes, how so?

Also, how do you find having quarters instead of semesters?
Quarters are alright. I think that it gives us a great chance to essentially screw up our first quarter of exams (the first quarter only counts for ~12% of our overall 1L grade), and still do well - essentially serving as a trial period. This is because there are only 2 exams at the end of 1L semster (CivPro I and Elements) and these are weighted half as much as contracts, torts, and other 2 semester classes. The problem is that people put so much effort into these 2 exams, and the exam curve led us to over-study for these exams - essentially putting as much emphasis into 2 lesser weighted exams as other schools did into 4/5 exam. In that sense, the quarter system can lead to a more rigorous system, although you can (all-but) fail the first quarter exams and still do great your 1L year.

Economic Slant - the first quarter, classes didn't seem that heavily focused on economics. 2nd quarter changed a lot of that. I'm not sure how it compares to other schools, but there is a 'bottom line economic approach' that is taught in the theory. Yes, Chicago is THE home of Law & Economics, and that will be taught. However, I don't think it will adversely affect your grade if you are as incompetent as I am in economics (as tests seem to focus on Black Letter Law and Legal reasoning/argument/analysis). There is a bit of an economic slant, but a majority of the students have no formal economic training at all, so you'll be fine if you don't have a strong economic background.

lsnate

New

Post by lsnate » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Does anyone have numbers for 2009 fall OCI? Like number of firms, number of offers, % of class with offer etc.? I don't know if the school publishes these figures, but if anyone has their own estimations that would also be helpful.

Thanks

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:43 pm

How receptive is Chicago in negotiating with scholarships? Anyone have luck with this last year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UChicagoStudent

New

Post by UChicagoStudent » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:44 am

lsnate wrote:Does anyone have numbers for 2009 fall OCI? Like number of firms, number of offers, % of class with offer etc.? I don't know if the school publishes these figures, but if anyone has their own estimations that would also be helpful.

Thanks
Not yet, and I'm not sure where I can get those (I'm very curious myself). Word on the street is that most 2L's (>75%) have something lined up for summer. I know that some people are choosing to do PI out of choice, not necessity (likely they have some scholarship moey or rich parents), some are clerking, and a majority are heading to work firm internships. After talking to some 2L's a while ago, many people agree that although OCI was bad, it really wasn't as bad as people were expecting. I know that our small class size along with being the most prestigious school in the midwest helps out a lot. Before the recession, I think that if you wanted a market paying job out of Chicago, you got one. Top half of the class could get a V30 relatively easily. This year, I think that the rule would be top half can get a market paying job [relatively] easily, and I'd estimate 66-75% of 2L's had jobs before the quarter ended ~4 weeks ago (I haven't heard much about jobs after that). I do know that employers (~V50-V100) have mentioned that they would like to get more UChicago grads coming through, but have had trouble opening those doors - i.e: there are few or no alumni at a firm and they don't do OCI here for various reasons.

My Feelings: if you are a relatively normal person with good interview skills or work experience outside of the bottom 10% of the class, you will get a market paycheck when you graduate, although you may be living somewhere where you were not expecting, outside of major markets.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:42 am

RussianGirl wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Does Chicago provide a travel stipend to visit during ASW? I'm kind of poor, and want to know if I'll be out a lot of dough if I end up getting in.
last year it was $200, offered to everyone. My plane ticket ended up costing ~$300, so I paid $100 out of pocket. Not a bad deal, considering free housing, meals, and booze. Treatment-wise, it was the best ASW, hands down. Big selling point for Chicago in my book.
Sorry if this is a totally idiotic question, but does that $200 require a plane ticket confirmation, or do they buy the ticket for you (I had a school do this for UG admissions to make sure I wasn't visiting other schools too), or do they just dole it out, etc.?

I ask because I'm abroad and it would be really expensive to come home to visit schools, but I feel like I'd need to see Chicago in person to get a sense of whether or not fun really goes to die there... :)

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:55 am

parker09 wrote:
RussianGirl wrote:
Sorry if this is a totally idiotic question, but does that $200 require a plane ticket confirmation, or do they buy the ticket for you (I had a school do this for UG admissions to make sure I wasn't visiting other schools too), or do they just dole it out, etc.?

I ask because I'm abroad and it would be really expensive to come home to visit schools, but I feel like I'd need to see Chicago in person to get a sense of whether or not fun really goes to die there... :)
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure I read in another UChicago thread that they require you to show a receipt for the ticket for which they'll refund you $200 some time after ASW.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:58 am

pehaigllleises wrote: Chicago doles out scholarships automatically, no forms to fill out. I heard back in mid-February about that. I heard back in March or so from Columbia, there were forms first.
Just to confirm, does this mean scholarships are sent out separate from the acceptance package?
echoi wrote: Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure I read in another UChicago thread that they require you to show a receipt for the ticket for which they'll refund you $200 some time after ASW.
Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:54 am

Parker09, yes and yes.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:23 am

jumping in due to acceptance yesterday-

can anyone speak to the gay scene in chicago? how about at the law school specifically? I have heard chicago is slightly more conservative than other comparable law schools- wondering if this translates into any hostility towards the GLBT population (if there is one??).

Also, for those who choose just to rent some random apartment in the area, what are the advantages / disadvantages to not living in the Regents Park complex?

bottomshelf

New

Post by bottomshelf » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:31 am

Also, re: $200 travel reimbursement, I think it's only offered for scheduled events (ASW or the one-day events). If you visit outside of that schedule, I don't think they'll reimburse you.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:41 am

tintin wrote:jumping in due to acceptance yesterday-

can anyone speak to the gay scene in chicago? how about at the law school specifically? I have heard chicago is slightly more conservative than other comparable law schools- wondering if this translates into any hostility towards the GLBT population (if there is one??).

Also, for those who choose just to rent some random apartment in the area, what are the advantages / disadvantages to not living in the Regents Park complex?
Try contacting these people with your questions: http://outlaw.uchicago.edu/

Chicago isn't necessarily more conservative, it's more of a place where there is NO open hostility to conservatives. Most people bend libertarian or liberal. I went to NYU for undergrad and worried about being tarred and feathered for being on the conservative side. If you speak your mind at NYU [undergrad! hopefully the law students have some maturity], you get shouted down. You speak your mind at Chicago and people will pick apart your arguments over lunch.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”