Any questions about BC Law?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
matty

Any questions about BC Law?

Postby matty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 am

TLS was a huge help when I was applying to schools, but the one thing that bugged me was the lack of personal info/accounts about BC Law. It is consistently one of the top 10 most applied-to law schools iirc, but it just doesn't seem to have that big a presence on TLS. Well...I've come back in hopes of doing my part to rectify that. I used to be a regular poster on here, but don't really stop by all that much anymore (don't worry..it's not really because I'm too busy -- 1L isn't the death sentence everyone makes it out to be). Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to post them here and I'll be sure to try my best to answer them when I can. I'll try to set my preferences to alert me when this thread is updated, but feel free to just shoot me a PM when you add a question and I'll come by and check out what you posted. Anyway, hope I can help out and give something back to this community that was such an asset when I was applying.

Cupidity

Re: Any questions about BC Law?

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:01 am

Can you actually just pontificate about BC. There are no first hand accounts out there. Just seriously...start telling me everything.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:09 am

Your stats? Other people's stats that you might know about?

Are they a GPA school or an LSAT school?

Cost of living in the area, specifically house rentals?

What kind of workload?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:11 am

Do you have a digital camera, could you smuggle some photos of the inside of classrooms and the library. Thats a big thing for me that no school ever does adequately.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:22 am

Tell me about your social life.

kilo

Postby kilo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:40 pm

How are the students? Laid back?
How is the diversity of the school?
How does the market look for BC grads? Do most people stay in MA or move along the East coast or what?
How are scholarships and what is COL like?

Matypete

Postby Matypete » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Girls?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:53 pm

I just decided I am applying to BC and I am very curious about this school since everyone seems to love it sooo much (my little brother is applying early decision for undergrad)

Also can you chance me?

3.3/163 GPA urm (mexican american) strong upward trend/great compelling story that will be talked about in personal statement.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:05 pm

I'm curious to know, folks who live in the city, how do they get to campus and it is a pain on the green line?

If I get in, I'd most likely be living in Cambridge because of my SO, it'd be nice to know if public transportation would be workable or if I'd need to keep my car.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:08 pm

scribelaw wrote:I'm curious to know, folks who live in the city, how do they get to campus and it is a pain on the green line?

If I get in, I'd most likely be living in Cambridge because of my SO, it'd be nice to know if public transportation would be workable or if I'd need to keep my car.

This thread is just a long list of ?'s....OP come back soon or you will have alot of work cut out for you....unless any other BC 1ls care to chime in

daniel5215

Postby daniel5215 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Tell me about your social life.

+1, and how can you manage your relationship and school

matty

Postby matty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:24 am

alright...sorry I didn't reply sooner

kalvano wrote:Your stats? Other people's stats that you might know about?

Are they a GPA school or an LSAT school?

Cost of living in the area, specifically house rentals?

What kind of workload?

My stats are 166, 4.0, and here is a link to LSN's acceptance graph from last cycle:
http://bc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/?whichCycle=0910
Remember, that's going to be skewed a little high from voluntary response bias. I know people who got in with LSATS in the 162-164 range. The cost of living is pretty rough. My rent is $650, and that's a lot less than most of the other people I know. My advice is to start looking early and to live with roommates. I've had a very good experience living with two other 1Ls. Having a car can also be very expensive, as you have to register your car, get massachusetts insurance, get a parking permit, get a parking spot at some apartments, etc...all of which costs money. There are a lot of upfront costs, but the advantage is that you can find housing away form campus that is less expensive. That being said, it is possible to do Boston without a car...I do, and it saves me a ton of money. It is pretty inconvenient, but I live close enough to the BC shuttle that I can at least get to and from school with relative ease.

Finally, the workload: not too bad, though it does somewhat depend on your section and professors (my roommates are in different sections and they seem to have it a little worse). It's a lot of reading, and it takes a while at first, but you learn how to read cases and pick out the salient information and it becomes a little easier. One thing I'd recommend is that you really utilize the time you have off during the day...you might have 30 minutes or an hour between classes a couple times a day, and it really cuts down on your after school work if you use that time to get ahead. I'd say I usually go to class, read during breaks, and then do 2-4 hours of work after school generally. The only times I've actually felt overwhelmed are when major legal writing papers are due (two or three times during the semester) and exams (I'm assuming).
Pearalegal wrote:Tell me about your social life.

There is real collegial atmosphere at BC and people seem to get along really well. There are a ton of clubs and activities to get involved with, and a lot of these clubs arrange activities for the weekends. Hiking trips, ski trips, intramural sports, etc. If you're more into the drinking culture, there is plenty of that to be found in LS too. A lot of people from class usually go out to the bars on Thursday nights, and the law school arranges a monthly bar review that is always very well attended and a lot of fun. People that say LS does not afford any opportunity for a social life are doing it wrong--I'm always very well prepared for class and still find plenty of time to go out.
kilo wrote:How are the students? Laid back?
How is the diversity of the school?
How does the market look for BC grads? Do most people stay in MA or move along the East coast or what?
How are scholarships and what is COL like?

The students? Here's a story that should demonstrate the atmosphere at BC: The second or third week of school, I missed torts. Our section has a email listserv, so I sent out a request asking for notes. I checked my email 2 hours later and probably had about 30 replies w/ notes attached. I actually had to send out another email telling people to stop sending me notes. That's how collegial it is here, and what's more: There is not a single gunner in our section. One professor actually had to break his policy against cold calling because our section is so anti-gunnerish that people weren't raising their hands enough.

Diversity seems to be a strong point at BC. The different associations (i.e. asian pacific law student assoc) have a big presence on campus. I will admit that african americans seem to be somewhat underrepresented in the student body.

Job prospects are the one thing I really can't speak to--we really aren't far enough into that dimension of LS yet. Before the big economic fiasco, BC was putting something like 45% of its graduates into big law. Essentially, you could be at the median at BC and still have a decent shot at big law, which is fantastic placement for a school of BC's rank. Haven't seen the latest stats yet, but I'm sure they're pretty fucked (but no more fucked than any other school of similar rank). That being said, it's not like the gears have stopped turning...there are still plenty of interviews on campus, 2ls and 3 ls are still walking around in suits all the time, and theie morale even seems to be very good. Most people do tend to stay on the East Coast, and really New England in particular. It's not really as easy to get to NYC out of BC as some people might have you believe. But if you want to stay in the area, a BC degree carries a lot of weight

BC seems to use a very holistic approach when it comes to scholarships. They're going to look at your numbers, but they're also going to make a very strong consideration of your financial condition. BC was exceedingly generous to me -- I got 90k with on gpa requirement, and my numbers weren't great and I wasn't really in any bad financial condition. Also, NEGOTIATE. BC will allow you to negotiate for more money if you can show that you have good offers from other schools.
Matypete wrote:Girls?

*begrudgingly answers* I've heard some 2Ls complain that there aren't any good looking girls in their class, but then say that our class has a bunch of them. I mean...its law school at boston college, not communications major at Florida, so its not like its overrun with gorgeous women. Still, I'd say in my section of about 90 people, there are probably 10 girls who run the gamut from pretty good looking to smoking hot, and from what I've heard that is a damn good ratio for LS.

scribelaw wrote:I'm curious to know, folks who live in the city, how do they get to campus and it is a pain on the green line?

Most people live in the cleveland circle/brighton/allston area and drive to school. You can take the green line in, but it is very inconvenient: the b line--which has the BC stop--is really slow and even then it only takes you to the undergrad. From there, you have to catch a shuttle to the LS. Life in Boston is a lot easier with a car, but it can definitely be done without one if you're willing to put up with a lot of walking and waiting for buses and the like (as I am). That being said, I really don't think you could swing it in Cambridge without a car. The only T line there is the red, and you can only switch to the green line downtown. I'm not kidding when I say it would probably take you an hour and half to get to school that way, if not more. I'm running through th bus routes I know too in my head and can't think of one that would work well. If you're gonna do BC without a car, its really almost essential that you live within walking distance of the B line or a BC shuttle stop.
chicoalto0649 wrote:I just decided I am applying to BC and I am very curious about this school since everyone seems to love it sooo much (my little brother is applying early decision for undergrad)

Also can you chance me?

3.3/163 GPA urm (mexican american) strong upward trend/great compelling story that will be talked about in personal statement.

with the urm status I'd say you have a very respectable shot at BC.

FINAL THOUGHTS
So far, I'm very happy with my decision to attend BC. There are a couple things that bug me--for example, I don't really like how the law school is separated from the main undergrad campus, and I wish the area around BC had more of a "city" feel. It's close to the city, but it definitely feels pretty removed and actually getting into the city on the public transportation can be a time-consuming hassle. But I really like the school itself for two main reasons: (1) What they emphasize. Legal writing is a huge emphasis here. It's a two-semester course. You will probably hate it. I do. Its a pain in the ass, and the teachers really kick your ass in grading in that class. But by the end, I think I'll have a huge advantage over students form other schools who didn't have such rigorous training in legal writing. My professor in the class says she still gets calls from former students who get job offers after summer over students from Harvard because--for all their brilliance--they can't write a legal memo as well as her former students (I don't want to give the impression that's the norm, but you see what I'm saying). (2) The professors. I have two classes where not a day goes by without the whole class bursting into laughter multiple times. So the professors (mine, at least) are not only brilliant, they're also fun and engaging. (3) free food. Clubs always have free food. I'm pretty sure if you joined enough clubs/lecture series, you could eat a free lunch almost everyday at the LS.

daniel5215

Postby daniel5215 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:48 am

wow, that was basically everything. Thanks OP! I have two questions, 1) how is the Lambda there? is BC gay-supportive? 2) how far is LS campus to UG campus? within walking distance? i heard that UG freshmen live in Newton campus

matty

Postby matty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:21 am

daniel5215 wrote:wow, that was basically everything. Thanks OP! I have two questions, 1) how is the Lambda there? is BC gay-supportive? 2) how far is LS campus to UG campus? within walking distance? i heard that UG freshmen live in Newton campus

BC is exceedingly gay-supportive. There was some controversy earlier this year because one of our professors appeared in an anti-gay marriage ad in Maine. In response, there was a student-led initiative called the faces campaign, in which students posted their pictures around the school declaring "I support equal marriage rights." The faculty also circulated a petition declaring their dedication to supporting equal rights. The Lambdas have a big presence and routinely schedule speaking events, and even hold bar nights sometimes. I really see no reason why any student would need to have any qualms about being openly gay at BC.

The undergrad to the law school campus is not walkable (unless you consider 25-30 minutes walkable). However, shuttles run every 5-10 minutes all day long and late into the night, so getting between the two isn't a problem. And yes...freshman do live at the newton campus, but for the most part you only see them in the cafeteria or on the shuttle.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:48 am

Are there houses available for rent, or is it all apartments?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:42 pm

matty wrote:
daniel5215 wrote:wow, that was basically everything. Thanks OP! I have two questions, 1) how is the Lambda there? is BC gay-supportive? 2) how far is LS campus to UG campus? within walking distance? i heard that UG freshmen live in Newton campus

BC is exceedingly gay-supportive. There was some controversy earlier this year because one of our professors appeared in an anti-gay marriage ad in Maine. In response, there was a student-led initiative called the faces campaign, in which students posted their pictures around the school declaring "I support equal marriage rights." The faculty also circulated a petition declaring their dedication to supporting equal rights. The Lambdas have a big presence and routinely schedule speaking events, and even hold bar nights sometimes. I really see no reason why any student would need to have any qualms about being openly gay at BC.

The undergrad to the law school campus is not walkable (unless you consider 25-30 minutes walkable). However, shuttles run every 5-10 minutes all day long and late into the night, so getting between the two isn't a problem. And yes...freshman do live at the newton campus, but for the most part you only see them in the cafeteria or on the shuttle.

Nothing wrong with Freshmen cuties in my book :wink:

luckylady

Postby luckylady » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:16 pm

I have a question! can you tell me if there are a good number of older students (35+) at BC, and students with families? I plan on applying next year and wonder if I'll stick out as the old lady. Thank you!

matty

Postby matty » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:58 am

kalvano wrote:Are there houses available for rent, or is it all apartments?

Yes, there are. Some can be found around Newton and Newton Center, and there are a bunch of houses on streets that run down adjacent to Commonwealth near the undergrad (i.e. Lake St., Foster, etc). In fact, if you split with roommates, houses can be cheaper than the arm and a leg you pay to be in a building on Commonwealth. If you have a car, you can also look for cheaper houses for rent out in surrounding areas like Watertown.
luckylady wrote:I have a question! can you tell me if there are a good number of older students (35+) at BC, and students with families? I plan on applying next year and wonder if I'll stick out as the old lady. Thank you!

You'll probably stick out. BC tends to be skewed a little young, I believe. Average age at matriculation is around 24 I think, but it mostly spans straight-outta-undergrad 22s to the 25-27 crowd. There are a few people older than that in 1L, but not many and I still don't think they're 35+. Don't mean to discourage you, though. I don't necessarily think its a bad thing.

Mulliganstew

Postby Mulliganstew » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:56 am

How can you live in Boston as a Cardinals fan?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:52 pm

matty wrote:

Yes, there are. Some can be found around Newton and Newton Center, and there are a bunch of houses on streets that run down adjacent to Commonwealth near the undergrad (i.e. Lake St., Foster, etc). In fact, if you split with roommates, houses can be cheaper than the arm and a leg you pay to be in a building on Commonwealth. If you have a car, you can also look for cheaper houses for rent out in surrounding areas like Watertown.

I come with a built-in roommate, called a wife.

One more follow-up, how big are these houses and do they have a bit of a backyard?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:36 pm

kalvano wrote:
matty wrote:

One more follow-up, how big are these houses and do they have a bit of a backyard?

I can field some of these. Pretty much everything around BC Law is situated on postage stamp lots. The further away you go the more you get.

Also, +1 for all said in re 1L year at BCLS

MannekenPis

Postby MannekenPis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:04 am

kalvano wrote:

These houses he is speaking of are not BC housing. BC only rents out grad apartments at ridiculously high rates (almost a grand for a 1BR).

You can easily find a house to rent via craigslist. If you have a car, renting a half of a duplex or a floor of a house in Newton, Waltham, Watertown or Brighton would be your safest bet.

MannekenPis

Postby MannekenPis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:08 am

luckylady wrote:I have a question! can you tell me if there are a good number of older students (35+) at BC, and students with families? I plan on applying next year and wonder if I'll stick out as the old lady. Thank you!

Sorry to say, but I can only think of a few 30+ students in the 1L class. That being said, they don't seem to have any trouble fitting in at all. We do have a club (Older Wiser Law Students) for the OWLS in the class.

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:58 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:How can you live in Boston as a Cardinals fan?

Fact: Boston fans typically won't hate on you unless you're a NY fan.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:26 pm

what do you think BC has over BU, from your experience?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”