SMU 1L, Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
handsum

Re: SMU 1L, Taking Questions

Postby handsum » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:39 pm

It's been a couple months since anyone has posted, but I figured this was still active enough to post. Does anyone have any details/info regarding the intellectual property specialization at SMU? I'm very interested in SMU, yet, at #15, I know UT is a better place to study IP Law. I've searched SMU's site for more information on their IP route; I even found this student org page; however, it was lasted updated in 2002 (or so from what I can tell).

http://people.smu.edu/lawipo/

SMU takes the cake on Dallas placement, which I'm very interested in. I just want to make sure they're going to be able to offer me an IP-based degree that is competitive against one from UT in the Dallas area.

What I currently believe is the risk is doing below average--someone's got to get the C, right? :) Then I (we) might be limited in opportunities. UT would likely take me wherever I want to go even with average performance during school. Granted, all of this really depends on the individual to an extent.

Does any of this ring true? Feel free to educate me in the ways of SMU vs UT in Dallas (or Texas for that matter). Really interested in IP details if any of you 1Ls/2Ls have any comments on this? THANKS!

Ranran1116

Postby Ranran1116 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:49 pm

what do u think of the oxford summer program? does it worth it to spend $5000 to study there?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:29 pm

handsum wrote:It's been a couple months since anyone has posted, but I figured this was still active enough to post. Does anyone have any details/info regarding the intellectual property specialization at SMU? I'm very interested in SMU, yet, at #15, I know UT is a better place to study IP Law. I've searched SMU's site for more information on their IP route; I even found this student org page; however, it was lasted updated in 2002 (or so from what I can tell).

SMU takes the cake on Dallas placement, which I'm very interested in. I just want to make sure they're going to be able to offer me an IP-based degree that is competitive against one from UT in the Dallas area.

What I currently believe is the risk is doing below average--someone's got to get the C, right? :) Then I (we) might be limited in opportunities. UT would likely take me wherever I want to go even with average performance during school. Granted, all of this really depends on the individual to an extent.

Does any of this ring true? Feel free to educate me in the ways of SMU vs UT in Dallas (or Texas for that matter). Really interested in IP details if any of you 1Ls/2Ls have any comments on this? THANKS!

Are you in at UT?

If so, go there. It will place at least as well, if not better, in Dallas.

handsum

Postby handsum » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:45 pm

I didn't apply for this cycle, but I'm planning on it for the next one.

I'm sure UT would be better, however, I'd like to hear or read more about SMU's IP program. Anyone have some insight regarding SMU's IP program (due to the lack thereof online)?

Thanks!

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:58 am

Ranran1116 wrote:what do u think of the oxford summer program? does it worth it to spend $5000 to study there?

Great question. I am also very interested in hearing about this program.

handsum

Postby handsum » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 am

SpencerPratt wrote:
Ranran1116 wrote:what do u think of the oxford summer program? does it worth it to spend $5000 to study there?

Great question. I am also very interested in hearing about this program.

Just to point out, this is more than $5000 (it's $7681).
http://www.law.smu.edu/Academics/International-Programs/Oxford-Summer-Program/Costs.aspx

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:23 pm

handsum wrote:It's been a couple months since anyone has posted, but I figured this was still active enough to post. Does anyone have any details/info regarding the intellectual property specialization at SMU? I'm very interested in SMU, yet, at #15, I know UT is a better place to study IP Law. I've searched SMU's site for more information on their IP route; I even found this student org page; however, it was lasted updated in 2002 (or so from what I can tell).

I've never heard of an official IP program, just IP courses you can elect to take. I've certainly seen several IP opportunities pop-up through hot jobs though.

handsum

Postby handsum » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:15 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:

I've never heard of an official IP program, just IP courses you can elect to take. I've certainly seen several IP opportunities pop-up through hot jobs though.

Yeah, 'program' wasn't the best choice of words. I was more concerned with the classes available, related student organizations, and number of SMU graduates that enter the IP-field.

iahurricane

Postby iahurricane » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:39 pm

handsum wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:

Yeah, 'program' wasn't the best choice of words. I was more concerned with the classes available, related student organizations, and number of SMU graduates that enter the IP-field.

Handsum did you go to Iowa State? Are you from Ames?

handsum

Postby handsum » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:00 pm

iahurricane wrote:Handsum did you go to Iowa State? Are you from Ames?

Yeah, I went to Iowa State. I'm not from Ames, but I am from Iowa (southeast). You?

iahurricane

Postby iahurricane » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:22 pm

handsum wrote:
iahurricane wrote:Handsum did you go to Iowa State? Are you from Ames?

Yeah, I went to Iowa State. I'm not from Ames, but I am from Iowa (southeast). You?

I grew up in Ames but didn't go there for college.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”