Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:53 pm

angelcjn wrote:I see no one has posted on this thread in awhile, so I hope you are still around to take questions. I am considering transferring to UF for my 2L year. My only reservation is that there seem to be few internship/externship opportunities available in Gainesville. While I have no doubt that UF is the best law school in Florida (and I attended there for undergrad), I am concerned about this one area. It seems like all of the judicial clerkships would be in Tallahassee and Orlando. If you are trying to do an internship and take classes at the same time, what do UF law students do? Thank you!

If you're worried about this, UF has a pretty comprehensive externship program and there are various opportunities in the Gainesville area. This is the link for summer programs, but you can find more if you're interested on the website: --LinkRemoved--.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby trialjunky » Fri May 21, 2010 9:41 am

What's the general cost of apts around the area?

Are there specific areas that are dominated by undergrads that LS student should avoid when it comes to housing?

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby GATORTIM » Fri May 21, 2010 2:23 pm

trialjunky wrote:Are there specific areas that are dominated by undergrads that LS student should avoid when it comes to housing?


419a NW 14th street....represent

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:26 pm

trialjunky wrote:What's the general cost of apts around the area?

Are there specific areas that are dominated by undergrads that LS student should avoid when it comes to housing?

Apartments are pretty cheap around the area, you can find a pretty nice place for ~550/month. I don't know anything about UG dominated areas, but I know a ton of students live in the Camelot apartments, since that is the closest complex to the law school. Although I think those run about 650/month.

halfwaygone
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby halfwaygone » Sat May 22, 2010 4:20 pm

So, I didn't go to UF for undergraduate, even though I stayed in state for Bright Futures, because while it's a good school, it's in the swamp. Gainesville just seemed so boring. (I also hate Miami, though. And Tallahassee doesn't strike me as any better, though I've never been.) But LS there would be so much cheaper, and just fine to practice in Orlando, where I already know practicing lawyers. Also: family and friends in CF. I miss them, being abroad. Moving away forever seems... so final. So, it's tempting to go to UF.

But, honestly, how awful is the social scene. I'd be friendless there, and I'd be 26. Not exactly going to be hanging with the undergraduates, as the age difference is too great. There's no job market there and no other 20-somethings outside of whatever graduate school/law school students there are, right?

User avatar
AJaKe
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby AJaKe » Sat May 22, 2010 8:32 pm

.
Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby trialjunky » Sun May 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks, I just got in so I dont have access to everything yet. I'm going up on Friday to find a place and put a deposit down before they're all snatched up.

Classygal87
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby Classygal87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Any UF students still taking questions out there? I am particularly interested in your class schedule. How you like the academic facilities? And How g-ville is?

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Classygal87 wrote:Any UF students still taking questions out there? I am particularly interested in your class schedule. How you like the academic facilities? And How g-ville is?

What in particular are you interested in class scheduling? For 1L the schedule is set for you, beyond you choose your own classes. the current schedule for 1Ls is available here (just look at one of the sections): Fallspring.

The academic facilities are all relatively new, the library is pretty nice, you can find a quiet place to study any time you need it. The classes are all technologically savvy with projectors, have nice, comfortable chairs, etc. The model classroom on campus is a little nicer than most standardized classrooms, but it's a pretty good sample: --ImageRemoved--

Gainesville is fun; it's a college town, lots of bars and things to do, a good downtown section with a variety of options. You don't have to go to the same two or three bars every time you go out (which was definitely not the case with my undergrad). Outside the school itself Gainesville is pretty rural, but everything you need is concentrated around UF. The law school is isolated from the general campus so it's a little more peaceful, which I think is a plus. There are a lot of apartment communities pretty close to the law school that are calm and nice to live in. UF is also nice in that you have free student access to RTS which is a bus system that can bring you almost anywhere you could possibly want to go in Gainesville.

Those are pretty general questions, if you want to know anything more specific I'll do my best.

Classygal87
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby Classygal87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:31 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Classygal87 wrote:Any UF students still taking questions out there? I am particularly interested in your class schedule. How you like the academic facilities? And How g-ville is?

What in particular are you interested in class scheduling? For 1L the schedule is set for you, beyond you choose your own classes. the current schedule for 1Ls is available here (just look at one of the sections): Fallspring.

The academic facilities are all relatively new, the library is pretty nice, you can find a quiet place to study any time you need it. The classes are all technologically savvy with projectors, have nice, comfortable chairs, etc. The model classroom on campus is a little nicer than most standardized classrooms, but it's a pretty good sample: --ImageRemoved--

Gainesville is fun; it's a college town, lots of bars and things to do, a good downtown section with a variety of options. You don't have to go to the same two or three bars every time you go out (which was definitely not the case with my undergrad). Outside the school itself Gainesville is pretty rural, but everything you need is concentrated around UF. The law school is isolated from the general campus so it's a little more peaceful, which I think is a plus. There are a lot of apartment communities pretty close to the law school that are calm and nice to live in. UF is also nice in that you have free student access to RTS which is a bus system that can bring you almost anywhere you could possibly want to go in Gainesville.

Those are pretty general questions, if you want to know anything more specific I'll do my best.


Thanks for the schedule link that was extremely helpfull. Specifically good names of places to look to live around the law schools - I dont mind paying more for a nice place to live. Also how is the interaction with the faculty? And if you dont mind me asking what made you choose UF?
Thanks for all your help. It is really appreciated. Right now I am leaning towards attending UF next year and have already been accepted.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Classygal87 wrote:Thanks for the schedule link that was extremely helpfull. Specifically good names of places to look to live around the law schools - I dont mind paying more for a nice place to live. Also how is the interaction with the faculty? And if you dont mind me asking what made you choose UF?
Thanks for all your help. It is really appreciated. Right now I am leaning towards attending UF next year and have already been accepted.

The faculty are great, for the most part, and many a really willing to help. They not only want to help you succeed in school but also to get the job you want and will do what they can to help you (at least, in my experience).

I chose UF because I want to work/live in Florida and UF is the best school in the state, it's also a relatively good deal if you're in state. It was the only school I applied to in Florida, for me it was not a really difficult decision.

As for apartments, this is really the best resource at your disposal: http://www.gainesville-rent.com/. Cazabella and Camelot are pretty nice, relatively low priced, and attract many law students.

User avatar
Ragnar
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby Ragnar » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:29 pm

I'm a 1L in my second semester at UF. I love it. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have that don't pertain to your chances of getting in. My year was the most competitive incoming class at the time, and I can only guess the class of 2014 will be even better.

Gainesville is a great town. You'll find people who complain about it, but I've found that there are some people who just aren't going to be happy anywhere. If you're really interested in state gov't or politics, FSU might be better for you so you can be actively involved in that industry. Otherwise, UF is the best choice.

Feel free to PM too.

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 am

Does anyone know how difficult is it to gain residency for 2L/3L coming in from out-of-state? Any tips or advice for navigating the process? As an incoming 1L, is there a particular month I'd need to have an apartment by to stand a solid chance at making a successful residency claim?

vdbl1901
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:07 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby vdbl1901 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:04 pm

I am pretty much 99% sure that I will be attending U of F after attending the 2/25/11 ASD. I am also an out of state student that is pretty much set on working in Florida after graduation. At the the admitted students day event I was told to move to Florida no later than July (I am looking for sublets or leases for May). Also I was told to look at the Florida Bar and start to secure required documents/disclosure from your current state as soon as possible. You need to file a change of domicile as soon as you move to Florida as well your vehicle registration, drivers license and voters registration etc. Just to be safe I also plan on changing my passport to my Florida address and securing summer employment in order to have a W2 from the state of Florida.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby trialjunky » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:14 am

Current 1L taking questions!

Classygal87
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby Classygal87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:16 pm

What did you spend on books and supplements the first semester? and the second semester? Trying to budget out for each. I would defintely rather overestimate a little and be pleasently suprised lol

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12540
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby jessuf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:38 am

.
Last edited by jessuf on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:08 pm

n
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:16 pm

The living expenses are really worrying me; it feels like ~$12,000 isn't enough. I'm a simple guy, just like to work out, watch sports, and go to bars. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Also, are there apartments with 9 month leases?

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:20 pm

nb
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:29 pm

That'll put the debt at 100k...that's a tough one to swallow.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:40 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:42 pm

mistergoft wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:That'll put the debt at 100k...that's a tough one to swallow.

If you don't want to live strictly off of loans, you can try to get a job at the library or doing some other easy administrative position. People that work at the library typically study the majority of the time they're working, it's a pretty cushy job.


Sorry for sounding completely ignorant with all these questions...

You can seriously get jobs at the library or with administrative positions? I thought that was impossible. I know you aren't supposed to work during your first year, but even just 10 hours a week or so would go such a long way; besides, I don't think that I could be *that* productive for an entire semester studying anymore than 8-6

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:49 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

greg737
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Univ of Florida 1L taking Questions.

Postby greg737 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 pm

How about the actually classroom stuff? How would the current students there rate the teachers? There wasn't much in the Florida admit material I received about their academic philosphy or anything.

Is there pro bono work involved? Some of the law schools I'm looking at actually have you interview real clients as you would when you were a lawyer and write briefs/present arguments to judges and get feedback. Do those things happen at UF?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests