FIU (Florida International) 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Naked Dude

Silver

Re: FIU (Florida International) 1L taking questions

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:13 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
howlery wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
gdane wrote:Dont go to FIU law if you dont speak spanish. The Miami stereotypes are all correct. The student population is overwhelmingly hispanic (cuban mainly) and the city that surrounds it (Sweetwater) is probably one of the most highly populated cuban cities in Miami. So when you go to any of the local supermarkets, restaurants or shops, chances are you'll find someone that cant speak english very well.

I'm currently a Political Science undergrad and I lived on campus my first year so I'm very familiar with the demographics. I'm also hispanic, but I found it very irritating that people speak spanish first and english second.

The gym is cool though, Im there all the time. The only good thing about Miami is the nightlife, but to get downtown it takes about 20 minutes, to get to Coconut Grove it takes about 25 minutes and South Beach is about 30 minutes away. Approximately.

The most "American" place you can live would probably be Coconut Grove or Pinecrest. Those two places are pretty far from FIU though. The commute would be terrible since you'd probably have to take the 826, which between the constant construction and the moronic drivers (another negative about Miami) is a mission.

Hmm... I think that's all I have to say.
TITCR
I'm also a political science undergrad and would have to disagree, if only slightly. I've never encountered someone who spoke Spanish before English or anything like that. The population is overwhelmingly Latin, yes, but it is not Little Cuba/Spain/etc. A majority of the people I know/encounter speak English quite well. I actually live in Miami (not on campus) and would advise you to stay away from the Grove/Pinecrest unless you weren't really worried about money. Living near White people (I assume that is what is meant by an "American" area) isn't really worth the extra cash/commute, especially when you're entering a market thats pretty crummy right now.

Also parking sucks for everyone. The President has plans to add 20k more students without adding parking spaces to keep up (or hiring more professors, from what faculty tell me--though I can't speak for the LS). That Miami accent has annoyed me since I moved down here from up North, can't stand it :o !
I'm pretty sure they won't add too much to the LS, since they're walking a tight rope with the ABA as it is.(LOL, j/k)

Anyways:
Yeah, they do plan to increase the student body by a lot more. Sucks, but I'm not paying for school. I'll take that over going to UM and getting out owing 160k to the gov.

For FIU, the safest bet is the engineering college imo. Not as cool as Poli. Sci., but it doesn't have a shitton of people like Poli. Sci. has.. oh - and companies actually go OCI for engineering.
I thought the Accounting program was legit too?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Naked Dude wrote:I thought the Accounting program was legit too?
What I heard from several accounting students is:
They kill your GPA.

Otherwise, yeah.. it's great from what I hear.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:20 pm

I guess I'll also add that their nursing program is pretty cheap, too.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 pm

The accounting program is solid, from what I've heard. All my buddies that got through it ended up with pretty good jerbs

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”