Davis 1Ls taking questions/donations

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
econtutornv

Re: Davis 1Ls taking questions/donations

Postby econtutornv » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:44 am

LvingLegend wrote:
econtutornv wrote:
LvingLegend wrote:After reading the TLS profile on UC Davis it seems its a waste to go w/o a graduate degree. Is this true?

???

What about the TLS profile made it seem like it would be a waste to go w/o a graduate degree? I certainly hope this isn't true as the vast majority (90%+) of my 1L section is screwed if this is the case!

"In general, it has been said that the career resources at the law school are average and campus recruiting is standard; however, those with just a BA tend to have to work a bit harder to catch the same opportunities as those that already have another advanced degree."

Grain of salt as I haven't been through OCI, but I think that that's pretty standard at any school not named Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. Thankfully from day one the school has been telling us not to rely on OCI (probably good advice to anyone ITE)

Postby 20160810 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Headybrah wrote:let me preface this by saying I don't know nothing about from which I speak

Anyways, Im very interested in Davis but I have a few quick questions

1. Why doesn't Davis have a stronger Enviro law program, I haven't really examined the professors yet but I know they are a leading Agriculture research university I would assume they would have a strong enviro law program especially because Ca is so far ahead in terms of state environmental regulations. Your thoughts? Why don't they rank in the enviro law rankings?

2. How is Davis? Im in Santa Cruz now and thinking Davis might be a bit small and isolated, which is fine I kind of need that for my academics - is there enough to do outside school though?

3. How is the student body you like your classmates? Competitive?

4. Whats the deal with the new building?

thanks much - thinking of a trip up sometime soon

Sorry I've been so lax on this thread. Law school and all. Plus I forgot I made it. Anyhow, I'm back. Thanks to the other Davis guys who've picked up the slack in the meantime.

1. Take specialty rankings with a big grain of salt is the conventional wisdom around TLS. If you looked only at those, they would have you going to Vermont over UCD, which is pretty much a horrible call if you want to practice in CA (and maybe a horrible call no matter what, unless you're looking for Burlington Biglaw--which I'm fairly sure just involves contract disputes about coats/syrup). Davis has a strong enough environmental focus. I know a number of people involved in our Environmental Law Society and the environmental journal and they do a lot of networking events with people doing environmental work, especially regulatory stuff in Sacramento.

2. For being a small town, Davis is a blast. There's plenty to do here, but Sacramento is a pretty big city and is only 10 minutes away. Pretty much anything you might need can be found here.

3. That's the beauty of Davis. People take pride in keeping King Hall a chill place. People in your section will share outlines/notes, and there is a supportive atmosphere. Unlike a lot of law schools, especially certain similarly-ranked ones down in the Bay Area, people here realize that a big point of law school is networking. You're going to be working with the people in your class (or at least a lot of them) for the next 30 years, and that's at least as important as who gets the high score on the next contracts quiz. People here understand that, and it makes the student body great. I made a lot of friends within the first few weeks and can't imagine myself elsewhere. Having talked to various friends, the only ones who describe a LESS competitive atmosphere than King Hall are the ones at HYS--which makes sense, because those guys could basically get Cs and still do fine employment-wise.

4. The new building is ugly (though slightly less so than the old building, which is really ugly). It is also taking a long time to build, but should be done this spring. Not much to say there other than that it will probably be nice inside, but outside they opted to continue the Cold-War-bunker-style that characterizes the rest of King Hall's architecture.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:46 pm

DoctorNick189 wrote:Splitter-friendly? 2.99/176.

How imperative is it to have a car on campus?

I'm sure you're in, but I also think you have a decent shot at a T14 with that 176 and I'd have a hard time recommending UCD over a T14 school as much as I do love it here.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:49 pm

hellogoodbye1 wrote:I also had similar questions:

1. How is the Davis? What is there to do around campus?
2. How is Davis with merit scholarships? I have a 3.82/163. Do you think I would have a chance for any money?
3. Ditto to the car question, and is there good public transportation?

Thanks so much!

1. A blast. I love the town. It has a classic "college town" feel, and the activities around campus mainly amount to the same things you'd do at any law school: Going out with friends, getting food, bars, concerts, etc. More "big city" type activites are probably going to require you to go to SF or Sacramento.

2. Not the best. I had better numbers than you (almost identical GPA, 165 LSAT) and didn't get much of anything at all. It's a major weak point of the school. Private schools just have a lot more cash on hand for that sort of thing, as a rule.

3. There is great public transit, and I know many, many people who only use bikes and the bus. That said, I have a car and prefer it. The parking pass is only ~$200/semester and makes your life a lot handier if you leave anything at school, need to dash in to print something, etc. Then again, I live kinda far from campus.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:36 pm

swheat wrote:Question for SBL: will you consider your choice a bad one when Hastings passes Davis in next year's USNWR?

I like how UC Davis now lists its ADMITTED students' medians and not its MATRICULATING medians. Could it have something to do with Hastings 3.6/164 median in the class of 2012?? Hmm :lol:

The numbers for Davis and Hastings are never terribly different. For the past 10 years they've flipped almost every year in the rankings, and it never matters terribly much (although, for the record, Davis has averaged a better ranking during that time). The point is, you might be right that you'll switch next year (and of course you might not be), but there USNews difference between Davis and Hastings is just too small to matter.

Both schools send the same percentage of graduates into biglaw, clerkships, etc. and both schools feed to the same markets (mainly SF/SJ, some LA, some Sacramento). Choosing between the two based on ranking would be (in my humble opinion) beyond foolish. The choice should be made based on where you feel like you're going to have a better 3 years. For folks like me, that makes Davis an easy pick, but I understand that's not the case for everyone.

I'd say that no matter where UCH and UCD are in next year's USNews, the difference between them won't be significant. The only good way to make the choice is to visit both, talk to students, and just get a feel for the different experiences.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Question for Davis people with SOs that work. What area does your SO work in? Sacramento?

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:03 pm

What is the best sushi place in Davis... gogo!

angela

Postby angela » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:13 am

thanks for answering questions.
Do you know how easy it is to land internships, how is the grading, how big are the classes usually, and are the teachers approachable?
Thanks!

Postby 20160810 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:11 am

angela wrote:thanks for answering questions.
Do you know how easy it is to land internships, how is the grading, how big are the classes usually, and are the teachers approachable?
Thanks!

1. Internships... I can't begin to answer this question. Do you mean something nonpaying working for a judge or nonprofit after 1L? Pretty easy if you get started early and have your shit together.

2. Grading is law school. It's going to be a little bit arbitrary no matter what, but you can obviously maximize your odds of success by being prepared and practicing test taking strategies. Generally the breakdown goes 20% A/A-, 60% B+/B/B-, 20% Cs or worse.

3. 1L your LRW and crim classes will be about 30 people, the rest will be about 70 people. Professors are incredibly approachable. They are almost all really nice people who will help you with the material and (even better) help you get jobs.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:19 pm

What are your recommendations for Apartment Complexes? I have been reading the DavisWiki and every apartment has so many bad comments it makes me sad. If you guys have/heard any personal recommendations I'd love to here them.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”