Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby fingersxd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Any 2 or 3L's in here willing to share their outlines? I've pretty much finished mine, but want to put it side-by-side with some others to fill in any gaps, clarify points, etc. and unfortunately the VBA bank is pretty dated (e.g, I think 08 is most recent for Civ Pro - Fitzpatrick)

Any advice re: specific tests/recurring themes/strategies, etc. for Professors Rubin, George and Fitzpatrick would also be welcome.

PM me.

User avatar
ktg808
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby ktg808 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Any advice on the following profs?

Property: Vandenbergh
Crim Law: Maroney
Torts: Cheng
Con Law: Mikos



Thanks!

hobojarpen
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby hobojarpen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:13 am

Just got a healthy scholarship offer from Vandy today, so it's right there with Cornell and UVA as one of my top choices! Here are my questions - looking forward to the responses! Thanks!

1) What are the pros and cons of having a small class size and yet a high student-to-faculty ratio?
2) How does Vanderbilt fare in CA and NY in general?
3) I was wondering if you could speak of the overall diversity of the Vanderbilt student body.
4) For me, in terms of housing, affordable pricing and proximity to the school (I’m not sure whether I’ll have my own car) trumps quality. With that said, where would you recommend I live during my 1L year?
5) How is the public transportation system and getting around the Nashville area? From my basic research, it seems like I'd be better off having my own car.
6) Any other thoughts?

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby Hannibal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:51 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Just got a healthy scholarship offer from Vandy today, so it's right there with Cornell and UVA as one of my top choices! Here are my questions - looking forward to the responses! Thanks!

1) What are the pros and cons of having a small class size and yet a high student-to-faculty ratio?
2) How does Vanderbilt fare in CA and NY in general?
3) I was wondering if you could speak of the overall diversity of the Vanderbilt student body.
4) For me, in terms of housing, affordable pricing and proximity to the school (I’m not sure whether I’ll have my own car) trumps quality. With that said, where would you recommend I live during my 1L year?
5) How is the public transportation system and getting around the Nashville area? From my basic research, it seems like I'd be better off having my own car.
6) Any other thoughts?


1. Personally I like the small class size because you can pretty much get to know everyone if you want, but I imagine that any drama you might have would be amplified since it's harder to avoid people.

2. This is a 1L perspective so I haven't done the real job search, but when I talk to lawyers I know from the Bay Area and NY, they respect Vanderbilt pretty highly. Outside of Biglaw, the job search is very individualized and it's on you to network and prove your non-grade competence. I'd be surprised if the difference between Vanderbilt and schools in its range is significant.

3. I mean, it's pretty diverse, though maybe not as much as schools in big metro areas. I don't really think about it because everyone kind of hangs with everyone.

4+5. The public transportation system sucks. It exists but I highly recommend having a car. I would say a bike but Nashville drivers will murder you if you do it in the rain. Nashville is a great city when you have a car though. There are some good, affordable places to live in Midtown and Hillsboro Village that will probably save you money compared to living at 20th and Grand (right next to the LS), even with a car. A ton of law students live at The Grove, which is very good housing in a very safe neighborhood a 10-15 minute drive from the school, but it's a little pricey.

User avatar
drylo
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby drylo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:41 am

hobojarpen wrote:4) For me, in terms of housing, affordable pricing and proximity to the school (I’m not sure whether I’ll have my own car) trumps quality. With that said, where would you recommend I live during my 1L year?


Sounds like you're talking about the Barbizon...

User avatar
ktg808
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby ktg808 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:31 pm

drylo wrote:
hobojarpen wrote:4) For me, in terms of housing, affordable pricing and proximity to the school (I’m not sure whether I’ll have my own car) trumps quality. With that said, where would you recommend I live during my 1L year?


Sounds like you're talking about the Barbizon...


Or Americana. Barbizon units are pretty small. I have a couple of friends who live at the Lee Apartments as well.

Schang1
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby Schang1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:29 am

Hello!

Ill be attending vanderbilt in the fall and would love to hear from current students attending the school.

1. I am currently deciding where to live and I've looked into these five places: twenty and grand, bristol on broadway, rhythm, icon in the gulch and bell midtown. Have any of you lived or are living in one of these places? My main concern is noise level & proximity to the school.

2. Have any of you lived or are living with a roommate? I am currently trying to figure out whether I should look for a 1L roommate or a different grad student. I'm sure there are pros and cons to living with another 1L during your first year. Any experiences to share or word of advice?

Thanks in advance! :)

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Schang1 wrote:Hello!

Ill be attending vanderbilt in the fall and would love to hear from current students attending the school.

1. I am currently deciding where to live and I've looked into these five places: twenty and grand, bristol on broadway, rhythm, icon in the gulch and bell midtown. Have any of you lived or are living in one of these places? My main concern is noise level & proximity to the school.

2. Have any of you lived or are living with a roommate? I am currently trying to figure out whether I should look for a 1L roommate or a different grad student. I'm sure there are pros and cons to living with another 1L during your first year. Any experiences to share or word of advice?

Thanks in advance! :)


I live at the Bristol and love it. It's pretty expensive, but I split a 1 bedroom with my girlfriend so I'm not paying a ridiculous amount of money. If you can do something like that, the location can't be beat. It takes me about 7 minutes to walk to school and it's a 5 minute cab ride downtown. You have a Hilton Garden Inn on one side of the building and an Embassy Suites on the other, so cabs are always available. The management is good and responsive. Because the building is more expensive, you don't really deal with loud undergrads throwing parties. The crowd is mostly professional. The apartments are nice, mine has hardwood floors, granite counters, etc.

User avatar
salsahips
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby salsahips » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:48 am

tag

vinoveritas
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby vinoveritas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:31 am

For someone interested in Biglaw but no specific geographic region, which one out of Vandy, Duke, Georgetown, and UT gives the best chance? Obviously Duke is the highest ranked, but I'm wondering if Vandy's city location gives it an edge on Durham? Any thoughts appreciated, I'm sure plenty of current Vandy students were picking between similar schools at one time. Also assume TN ties, but no strong desire to practice in TN. Thanks!

vinoveritas
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby vinoveritas » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

Bump. Based on where I am PTing, Vandy and UT-Austin are my top realistic choices right now.

User avatar
princeR
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby princeR » Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 pm

169/3.54, am I in or WL?

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby SilverE2 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:03 pm

princeR wrote:169/3.54, am I in or WL?


Had almost identical stats last year. Was WL/in. If things have gotten easier this cycle, then you're likely in.

User avatar
princeR
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby princeR » Mon May 07, 2012 9:10 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
princeR wrote:169/3.54, am I in or WL?


Had almost identical stats last year. Was WL/in. If things have gotten easier this cycle, then you're likely in.

Guessing that one extra LSAT point would make a huge difference.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: estefanchanning, LAW1995 and 3 guests