Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
spaceman82
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby spaceman82 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 am

jenesaislaw wrote:Nevertheless, your important point remains. There are very few jobs like these available, but persistence and Vandy's connections will put you in a better position than almost any other school. Also salient is your point about making sure you will be happy doing something else, or at least understand your risks and evaluate whether they are worth it to you.


I'm not trying to be argumentative here but am instead genuinely curious: Do you think Vandy is doing a better job of placing people in that type of work than some/most schools in the T14?

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:19 am

spaceman82 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:Nevertheless, your important point remains. There are very few jobs like these available, but persistence and Vandy's connections will put you in a better position than almost any other school. Also salient is your point about making sure you will be happy doing something else, or at least understand your risks and evaluate whether they are worth it to you.


I'm not trying to be argumentative here but am instead genuinely curious: Do you think Vandy is doing a better job of placing people in that type of work than some/most schools in the T14?


It is really, really hard to tell now with how schools share their graduates employment outcomes (a real shocker that I would say that!). Gun to my head, I first say that I hate the T14 distinction because it puts HYS into the same category as GULC and Cornell when those two schools are way, way closer to Vandy/UT/UCLA than any of the very elite schools. Second I say I'm not sure. I really believe that if it's what you want to do and you work your ass off to make the right connections in this school, take the right summer jobs, and actively seek areas of the world in need of lawyers and understand why they need lawyers and how you fit into that picture, that you will be in a good position to achieve your career objectives.

This is probably the same at most of the traditionally high-ranked schools, but I've seen it happen here consistently. My roommate, for instance, has had two incredible opportunities abroad doing human rights work (1L summer and 2L spring). I see it most for summer jobs, but the connections you make doing those jobs and the resume/story you build by doing those jobs are very valuable. My roomy is going to a V5 firm instead, but she has enough respect with the right people that she could have done something really cool abroad post-graduation too.

In the end, "doing a better job placing" goes to outcomes rather than opportunities, which is why I've relied on anecdotes and intuition more than statistics. My statements are probably not a reason to choose Vanderbilt over Columbia, but it may be a reason to choose Vanderbilt over Washington & Lee. (Career objectives should always trump rank, though they might correlate nicely for some people.)

rad law wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote: Likewise there is another member of the Class of 2010 in South America doing environmental justice work (not human rights, but somewhat related).


Haha we all know it's observationalist


:shock:

mitz1489
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby mitz1489 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:42 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
spaceman82 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:Nevertheless, your important point remains. There are very few jobs like these available, but persistence and Vandy's connections will put you in a better position than almost any other school. Also salient is your point about making sure you will be happy doing something else, or at least understand your risks and evaluate whether they are worth it to you.


I'm not trying to be argumentative here but am instead genuinely curious: Do you think Vandy is doing a better job of placing people in that type of work than some/most schools in the T14?


It is really, really hard to tell now with how schools share their graduates employment outcomes (a real shocker that I would say that!). Gun to my head, I first say that I hate the T14 distinction because it puts HYS into the same category as GULC and Cornell when those two schools are way, way closer to Vandy/UT/UCLA than any of the very elite schools. Second I say I'm not sure. I really believe that if it's what you want to do and you work your ass off to make the right connections in this school, take the right summer jobs, and actively seek areas of the world in need of lawyers and understand why they need lawyers and how you fit into that picture, that you will be in a good position to achieve your career objectives.

This is probably the same at most of the traditionally high-ranked schools, but I've seen it happen here consistently. My roommate, for instance, has had two incredible opportunities abroad doing human rights work (1L summer and 2L spring). I see it most for summer jobs, but the connections you make doing those jobs and the resume/story you build by doing those jobs are very valuable. My roomy is going to a V5 firm instead, but she has enough respect with the right people that she could have done something really cool abroad post-graduation too.

In the end, "doing a better job placing" goes to outcomes rather than opportunities, which is why I've relied on anecdotes and intuition more than statistics. My statements are probably not a reason to choose Vanderbilt over Columbia, but it may be a reason to choose Vanderbilt over Washington & Lee. (Career objectives should always trump rank, though they might correlate nicely for some people.)

rad law wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote: Likewise there is another member of the Class of 2010 in South America doing environmental justice work (not human rights, but somewhat related).


Haha we all know it's observationalist


:shock:


Thanks so much for the rather encouraging advice. I do realize its pretty difficult to get a job in this field, which is why I intend to work my ass off :)...so you dont think its a reason to choose Vanderbilt over Columbia, but would you deem it a reason to choose Vanderbilt over GW?

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 pm

I honestly don't know enough about GW. The two schools are so different, though. Size, culturally. The decision about which law school to attend is difficult to boil down too far...

User avatar
awilson11
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby awilson11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Do you guys know anything about the Scarritt Bennett Center? I am thinking of staying there for a visit to keep costs down...

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Have you already been admitted? The school sets admits up with current students during the two admitted students weekends.

User avatar
awilson11
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 am

jenesaislaw wrote:Have you already been admitted? The school sets admits up with current students during the two admitted students weekends.

Yes, I have been admitted, but I can't make either of them so I am looking at other dates to come

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 am

Maybe just ask admissions if they can set you up with a host?

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby theturkeyisfat » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:52 am

stratocophic wrote:
atresia wrote:I have a question concerning on-campus interviews/tours. I'm an undergraduate at Vanderbilt with numbers that make me a good candidate for admission (3.9/169). I've completed an alumni interview, but I'm worried that I could be denied admission if I don't meet with the dean or take a tour... or something. I imagine that Vandy tries to keep the number of Vandy UG admits low for school diversity.

How should I approach this? Ask to meet with the admissions dean? Should I just walk in the law school and talk casually with someone? Thank you in advance!
I went to Vandy for UG, it's not necessary (I know people who got in w/o an appointment) despite the big talk about how it "shows a lack of interest if you aren't willing to walk across campus." I did make an appointment and visited (i.e. made the 1/2 mile trip) before I applied, in December-ish IIRC. If you're worried, just contact the admissions office and set a time to dress snazzily and ask one of the officers some random questions you have.


it would be silly of them for knocking you for not remembering you visiting because to do that, they would kinda need to assume that if you visited, they would remember you. i went to ut for undergrad and visited the law school and talked to the admissions office and career services people my junior year, but i would be shocked if they remembered me when they reviewed my application

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:49 pm

<-- 1L procrastinating heavily on LW brief and will take questions over the next couple of hours.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:25 pm

why did you choose vandy? and is it everything you hoped for/learned about before you went there?

finally, what laptops work well with Vandy?

edit: Thank you for taking questions!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:34 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:why did you choose vandy? and is it everything you hoped for/learned about before you went there?

finally, what laptops work well with Vandy?

edit: Thank you for taking questions!!!!!!!!!!


I am fully aware that these are condescending and frivolous questions but I will answer anyway because I am bored.

Chose Vandy because I love Nashville and they gave me a bunch of $$.

Is it everything I hoped for? Yes, it is still ranked in the Top 20 and I still have my scholarship money. The girls are pretty. Had a class taught by Justice Breyer (I suppose the HYS kids may snicker at this).

What laptop? Really?

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby crossingforHYS » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:05 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:why did you choose vandy? and is it everything you hoped for/learned about before you went there?

finally, what laptops work well with Vandy?

edit: Thank you for taking questions!!!!!!!!!!


I am fully aware that these are condescending and frivolous questions but I will answer anyway because I am bored.

Chose Vandy because I love Nashville and they gave me a bunch of $$.

Is it everything I hoped for? Yes, it is still ranked in the Top 20 and I still have my scholarship money. The girls are pretty. Had a class taught by Justice Breyer (I suppose the HYS kids may snicker at this).

What laptop? Really?


I did not mean them in a condescending way at all! I am actually in the process of choosing between Vandy, WUSTL and Illinois...and knowing why people choose the school, and if they are still thrilled with their descision is important to me. I have asked 1L's about this and some at Vandy have been happy, others haven't. This perspective is important to me b/c it gives me a glimpse into the school and what I can expect.

I love the school so far and want to go there, but mobility (back to Cali is one of the only things stopping me) so knowing why people chose it and how they still feel about it is important to see if maybe others had the same feelings as me and maybe theres switched or didnt. Currently, I am just hoping that Vandy is just like admissions portrays it.

Laptop...yes really. Mine died, and I learned that Vandy supports macs and Dells so I am in the middle of buying one. I was wondering if Apple is compatible with Vandy as they say it is...


actual question: I want to live in Barbizon but I have heard bad things about it from the forums....I was wondering what your opinion is on it? I just liked it b/c the rooms are furnished and its one less thing to think about it but are other places better?

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
I did not mean them in a condescending way at all! I am actually in the process of choosing between Vandy, WUSTL and Illinois...and knowing why people choose the school, and if they are still thrilled with their descision is important to me. I have asked 1L's about this and some at Vandy have been happy, others haven't. This perspective is important to me b/c it gives me a glimpse into the school and what I can expect.

ha.. well I apologize then. I am very happy with my decision. Vandy is great, the faculty for the most part is great, and the students are genuinely non-competitive which I hear is not the norm at other schools. The fact that they dont rank students really helps quell the competitive edge (even though they DO rank us if employers ask). If you knew what to expect from the job market/law school coming in then you are probably happy at Vandy. If you expected OCS to drop a job in your lap no matter what your grades are then you would be disappointed. My opinion (with no $ info) is Vandy over WUSTL and Illinois - I got in to both with full tuition scholly and have yet to regret my decision. You can't beat Nashville/Vandy campus when compared to most of the Top 20 (imo).

I love the school so far and want to go there, but mobility (back to Cali is one of the only things stopping me) so knowing why people chose it and how they still feel about it is important to see if maybe others had the same feelings as me and maybe theres switched or didnt. Currently, I am just hoping that Vandy is just like admissions portrays it.

no school is exactly as admissions portrays it but Vandy comes close. Admissions never lied about anything (other thant he obvious lack of reliable employment stats but that is not really their dept and that is universal to all schools.) We place well in Cali (your admissions box should have this info in it) so this shouldn't stop you. Though the question presents itself as to why you want to go to school in the midwest/southeast if you want to be in Cali (firms/judges/other employers will ask you this so you should ahve an answer)

Laptop...yes really. Mine died, and I learned that Vandy supports macs and Dells so I am in the middle of buying one. I was wondering if Apple is compatible with Vandy as they say it is...

Vandy uses the standard Exam4 software which is compatible with (almost) every PC/mac. I say almost because I don't know for a fact that it will work on EVERY computer but it certainly isn't exclusive to Dell/Mac. Now the software itself absolutely sucks.. you are basically taking an exam in a shittier version of Microsoft Notepad. However, many/most schools use this software so it isnt an exclusively Vandy problem.

actual question: I want to live in Barbizon but I have heard bad things about it from the forums....I was wondering what your opinion is on it? I just liked it b/c the rooms are furnished and its one less thing to think about it but are other places better?

People generally dont seem happy about living in the Barbizon. Common complaints are: the rent being pretty high for the area, the apts are small and pretty old, the nonrefundable deposit, the asbestos in the ceiling (which is not really that big a deal) and the dorm room like aesthetic . That said, it is the most conveniently located option (literally 100 yds or so from the school), does come fully furnished, and allows for a school-year length lease. If you cant visit to pick an apartment you probably wouldn't be foolish to get a place there. I also recommend checking out the Americana, Twenty and Grand (a bit expensive) or the Bristol on Broadway (also expensive). They are all located within walking distance and have nice apartments.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby crossingforHYS » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Thank you!!!! That was extremely helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm

This may be the wrong thread for this, but does anyone know of a couch I could crash on for the ASW on April 8? I'm having serious trouble with my bank right now and won't be able to get a hotel. If not, I could sleep in the airport.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:05 pm

lisjjen wrote:This may be the wrong thread for this, but does anyone know of a couch I could crash on for the ASW on April 8? I'm having serious trouble with my bank right now and won't be able to get a hotel. If not, I could sleep in the airport.


call the admissions office. theyll set you up with a host.

User avatar
andyllop
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby andyllop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:56 pm

andyllop wrote:I have recently accepted Vandy's offer of admission for the 11-12 LLM Program. I will be travelling along with my wife. How's life for the LLM students ? Where do they live ? Is it hard getting used to Nashville ?

Thanks,


Seriously anyone ? Some advice ?

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:21 am

andyllop wrote:
andyllop wrote:I have recently accepted Vandy's offer of admission for the 11-12 LLM Program. I will be travelling along with my wife. How's life for the LLM students ? Where do they live ? Is it hard getting used to Nashville ?

Thanks,


Seriously anyone ? Some advice ?


I am not an LLM but I can you they aer pretty much the same as any other law student as far as lifestyle. Some of my best friends are LLMS. They live in the same buildings, same area, and dont seem to have any trouble getting used to Nashville. I couldn't imagine trying to learn the law with English as a second language but other than that they are doing just fine. If you have any specific questions pm me.

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby observationalist » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am

pleasetryagain wrote:
andyllop wrote:
andyllop wrote:I have recently accepted Vandy's offer of admission for the 11-12 LLM Program. I will be travelling along with my wife. How's life for the LLM students ? Where do they live ? Is it hard getting used to Nashville ?

Thanks,


Seriously anyone ? Some advice ?


I am not an LLM but I can you they aer pretty much the same as any other law student as far as lifestyle. Some of my best friends are LLMS. They live in the same buildings, same area, and dont seem to have any trouble getting used to Nashville. I couldn't imagine trying to learn the law with English as a second language but other than that they are doing just fine. If you have any specific questions pm me.


Agreed. It's pretty easy for LLM students to integrate into the culture, particularly if you're willing to go to Bar Review on Thursday nights. I was friends with a number of LLMs at Vandy... actually ended up visiting one in India after she finished up her LLM, and I'm still in contact with one from Nicaragua and another who's back in Brazil at the moment.

You also end up taking all your classes with JD students (except I believe legal writing). Taking classes with JDs helps you integrate a lot, especially if you elect to take courses with smaller class sizes (where there's more actual discussion between students). I met a few LLMs in a small-section Corps class but the rest we met out at the bars on Thursday nights.

Most of the LLMs I knew got stuck in the Barbizon Apartments, which is pricy, somewhat rundown, and two blocks from the law school. I think the school pushes Barbizon on LLMs because they assume most of you won't have cars, but you can definitely find better housing options that are still within walking distance, and for less money. The Barb does have a nice deck and a lounge where we used to hang out before or after heading to the bars, so it's a nice spot to get to know the other LLMs.

As far as acclimating to Nashville goes, it depends. Where are you from? I've seen a few LLMs get bored of the city and start wishing they were studying someplace larger, like NY or DC. They made up for it by traveling around the country a lot. That said, Nashville is a great city in terms of nightlife, especially if you like live music.

User avatar
andyllop
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby andyllop » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for your answers. I'm from Chile and I´ll be travelling along with my wife. Didn't like Barbizon, rather pay more for the Grove or Bristol Apts.

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby observationalist » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:30 pm

andyllop wrote:Thanks for your answers. I'm from Chile and I´ll be travelling along with my wife. Didn't like Barbizon, rather pay more for the Grove or Bristol Apts.


Oh interesting. I'm in Chile right now, along with mi polola.... we both earned our JDs last year and are here doing public interest work. If you don't mind me asking, where did you go for university? I know a bunch of recent UDP grads through mi polola's work, and I've been working with their environmental law and policy program on a grant application.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any more questions about the school (or if you happen to be in Santiago and want to meet up for a drink at some point).

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:34 pm

andyllop wrote:Thanks for your answers. I'm from Chile and I´ll be travelling along with my wife. Didn't like Barbizon, rather pay more for the Grove or Bristol Apts.


Since you are going to be living with your wife the grove is an excellent choice. No one I know living there has any complaints and it really is a beautiful property with many amenities. Also consider the Americana - not as nice but not as expensive either.

User avatar
cholza00
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby cholza00 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Out of curiosity, if either you have the personal experience or know someone who does.... does Vandy ever give out need based aid? or is all aid merit scholarship?

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:37 pm

cholza00 wrote:Out of curiosity, if either you have the personal experience or know someone who does.... does Vandy ever give out need based aid? or is all aid merit scholarship?


I don't know of anyone that got need based aid. That doesn't mean it is impossible... just not likely. They are so generous with schollys and give enough COL that they dont really have to give need based.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: superpatton and 8 guests