Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BunkMoreland

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby BunkMoreland » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:59 am

of those, I only had Stack (for Civ Pro) and he was very lovable, although his rate of speech approaches the speed of light at times, so it got hard to follow. I also heard he was tougher in Reg State than in Civ Pro, so watch out

blueberrymuffin

Postby blueberrymuffin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:19 am

Seymore is a new hire, so I don't think anyone would know much about his teaching style yet.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:03 pm

I also have Bressman for Regulatory State, and Farahany for Torts. Does anyone have any insight on John Haley for Contracts?

edit: I see that professor Haley is a new addition. Perhaps I should ask this question in a WUSTL thread.
Last edited by Rawlsian on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gogators

Postby gogators » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:24 pm

SHERRY: She is a very well respected professor in the legal field. Can be tough in class but she will call on students in rows so you generally know when you're going to be called on. Word of warning on professors who do this: DON'T sit at the end of a row because otherwise you'll never know when your row will be called on next. Also, the exam was tough but fair. I would highly recommend reading Freer (Hornbook) as she closely follows this except for a few places.

FARAHANY: I think the previous assessments for this were pretty spot on. Although I will say that her final exam was a bit of a class joke. It was a bunch of multiple choice questions and then one exam answer which was 700 words MAX. Basically most students just thought she was being incredibly lazy and would have rather had a more objectionable testing format than a multiple choice and small essay where there is no was to distinguish yourself. My recommendation, GET TO KNOW WHAT SHE PERSONALLY LIKES as the people who knew her best seemed to do the best.

GEORGE: My section lost the chance to have her as she fell and broke her leg walking into class the very first day and missed the entire semester.

BRESSMAN: Have heard good things. I have Rubin and I would have traded him for anyone so congrats.

SEYMORE: Yes this is a new hire. He teaches patent law and torts. I have heard awesome things about him and have a friend who met him recently. Apparently he's very funny and fair. I have him for patent law so I'll be in the same boat (minus about 100 other students though).

sp63

Postby sp63 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Are you guys purchasing your books now (going off what is listed on the Textbook store website) or are you going to wait until later? Especially for those who seem to be in my section, have you found any noteworthy deals on casebooks?

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:14 pm

I haven't found any deals on Amazon, half, or bookbyte for my section's books. I'm in B, though, so maybe A will luck out a little bit better. The problem is that the books with the hefty price tags aren't available on Amazon, so I could save maybe $10 using Amazon for the lower priced books but its not really worth the effort.

WhatToDooo

Postby WhatToDooo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Can someone tell me about the profs for section B, B2 torts. No access to the intranet yet as got off waitlist. Thanks! --sounds like maybe the A section has the better profs?

sp63

Postby sp63 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm in Section B, though B1 for Torts and LRW. But if everything stays the same, you will likely have Sherry for Civ Pro and Stack for Reg State. Sherry has gotten some good reviews on this thread (tough but fair), as has Stack, although one TLSer said that Stack is a harder prof when teaching Reg State. Hope this helps!

sp63

Postby sp63 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Are there any supplements or favorite hornbooks for Regulatory State that anyone would recommend?

Thanks!

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:17 pm

No, because our profs wrote the book and the class is only offered at like 2-3 schools. You can look on CALI.org at Admin Law later in the semester, it's SORTA similar.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:21 am

Just read through this post. What a great help. I hope you all can answer some more questions later during this cycle.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Any Vanderbilt students up to answer a some questions for a curious 0L? I'm just about to book my ticket for an ASD and was curious about a few things.

Thx

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:42 pm

lisjjen wrote:Any Vanderbilt students up to answer a some questions for a curious 0L? I'm just about to book my ticket for an ASD and was curious about a few things.

Thx

I'll be around for a little bit.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm down as well.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:00 am

Oh wow, I completely spaced on this thread. Thanks for taking a little bit of time to help out.

Right now, the point of comparison is UT. I've heard that Austin is actually really progressive with a great indie scene (although I just found out Jack White is in Nashville now) and good food. To tell you the truth, that's the main thing. I feel like Vandy is a little bit better of an academic institution, but I'm a little wary of the environment.

What kind of food do they have in Nashville, is it a bike friendly city, is it warm, what kind of music and does that include jazz, what's the political climate like? I'm black so is there still prejudice, and if I got drunk on a Saturday night and cracked an off color union joke in a bar, would I be a headline?

akili

Postby akili » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:18 am

This is me tagging this post which is awesome and very informative!

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:41 pm

lisjjen wrote:Oh wow, I completely spaced on this thread. Thanks for taking a little bit of time to help out.

Right now, the point of comparison is UT. I've heard that Austin is actually really progressive with a great indie scene (although I just found out Jack White is in Nashville now) and good food. To tell you the truth, that's the main thing. I feel like Vandy is a little bit better of an academic institution, but I'm a little wary of the environment.

What kind of food do they have in Nashville, is it a bike friendly city, is it warm, what kind of music and does that include jazz, what's the political climate like? I'm black so is there still prejudice, and if I got drunk on a Saturday night and cracked an off color union joke in a bar, would I be a headline?

Disclaimer: I'm a 1L, so my experience with Nashville is limited to about 7 months.
1. What kind of food do they have?
You'll be able to find just about anything--except I still haven't found a great Thai restaurant--Golden Thai is alright, but I'm still looking. Around the campus you have a lot bars with typical pub fare; franchises (Mellow Mushroom, Panera, San Antonio Taco Company); a decent brew house with solid brick oven pizzas; a kosher deli, and several others. There are probably about 30 restaurants within a mile of the law school--some better than others (your obiter dictum should be helpful). Nashville does have some great places to go for (breakfast) brunch: Ellendales, Jackson's Bistro, Loveless Cafe, Pancake Pantry, etc.

2. Is it a bike friendly city?
No. I sometimes ride my bike to school, and it's always an adventure. There are few bike lanes, lots of traffic, and the drivers don't use turn signals.

3. Is it warm?
Yes, and during the mid-spring to mid-fall (it all feels like summer) it is also ridiculously humid. If you're from the South, then it's probably no big deal; but I've had to (try to) acclimate, and I was never comfortable in September unless I was in a pool.

4. What kind of music, and does that include jazz?
You can find just about anything, it's usually free, and most of the bands are really polished. I haven't found a jazz bar (cellar, joint, whatever) yet, but I'd love go if I did. B.B.King's sometimes has jazz bands, and there is often jam sessions in the basement with blues and jazz. Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar often has great sets with bands that range from jazz to blues to funk.

5. What's the political climate like?
Nashville is a blue dot in a red state. As far as the law school goes, I think it's pretty evenly split.

6. Is there still prejudice?
I'm white, so my perspective may not be as helpful. I haven't noticed any blatant racism or homophobia; but as with most things, you could probably find it if you tried. Of course, that could be said of anywhere.

7. The civil war.
Well, some (confused perhaps?) still call it 'the war between the states' or the 'war of northern aggression.' Everybody's got an opinion. It's all in fun though: I doubt you'll be persecuted as a Yankee, carpet bagger, or scalawag if you make a union reference. One of my friends dressed up as a union soldier for Halloween.

akili

Postby akili » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Does anyone know about the dog-friendliness of apartments near the law school and/or Nashville as a whole? Are there off-leash dog parks anywhere? Good boarding/daycare places?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Rawlsian wrote:7. The civil war.
Well, some (confused perhaps?) still call it 'the war between the states' or the 'war of northern aggression.' Everybody's got an opinion. It's all in fun though: I doubt you'll be persecuted as a Yankee, carpet bagger, or scalawag if you make a union reference. One of my friends dressed up as a union soldier for Halloween.

I made this as a joke and my friends LOVE it. The thing is, I'm not even from a union state. The Civil War doesn't factor in where I'm at at all. My god, we weren't even a state in 1864! Would this thing offend or anger people in Vandy or the surrounding region?

--ImageRemoved--

neeko

Postby neeko » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:19 am

Tagged

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:39 am

lisjjen wrote:

I made this as a joke and my friends LOVE it. The thing is, I'm not even from a union state. The Civil War doesn't factor in where I'm at at all. My god, we weren't even a state in 1864! Would this thing offend or anger people in Vandy or the surrounding region?

--ImageRemoved--

Tennessee sort of borders Georgia...so yes lol

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:53 am

ksimon2007 wrote:
Tennessee sort of borders Georgia...so yes lol

Well, I'm still touring. Maybe Nashville is cool enough to make up for my misplaced sense of humor.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:15 am

I don't think Nashville is any different from your typical progressive city; all of our local politicians have been Democratic for as long as I can remember. Of course, you'll see more conservatards/Tea Partiers because it is a centralized city and pulls in visitors from all around (which, mind you, are DEEPLY conservative). But I don't think Vandy has any more than the usual ratio of mostly liberal/some conservative students.

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:30 am

Bringing up the Civil War and bringing up Sherman are two different things. Most southerners are over the Civil War... not many of us are over Sherman.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:36 am

lisjjen wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

I go to Vandy. I am offended. Seriously.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”