Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:25 pm

drylo wrote:
rad law wrote:
drylo wrote:As for Tampa/Miami... If I counted right, I think there are four firms either based in Tampa or with offices in Tampa and two in Miami. There are just over 100 different interview schedules right now, although some firms have multiple interview schedules.


Any ideas which ones?


Which Florida firms? Adams & Reese; Hogan Lovells; Carlton Fields; Foley & Lardner; Hill, Ward & Henderson; Hunton & Williams... I definitely counted wrong the first time because some (most) of those have offices in Tampa and Miami. Also Lowndes Drosdick Doster Kantor & Reed in Orlando.


Glad to hear about Carlton Fields, Foley, and Hill Ward (who canceled last year IIRC). No H&K, and Phelps Dunbar, however. H&K especially is disappointing.

sp63
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby sp63 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:07 am

Could you speak to the utility of LEEWS on your 1L exams? Seems like people in lower T1 schools swear by it, but the opinion is more mixed in the T14 and even T20 schools, so I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks again for taking questions!

VandyTakingQuestions
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby VandyTakingQuestions » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:53 pm

sp63 wrote:Could you speak to the utility of LEEWS on your 1L exams? Seems like people in lower T1 schools swear by it, but the opinion is more mixed in the T14 and even T20 schools, so I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks again for taking questions!


I think some sort of law school exam taking prep is invaluable, I found LEEWs and Delanys to be very helpful. Most professors don't tell you what they want on an exam besides "I'm interested in analysis, not just the answer" and other semi-obvious advice. There are some things I wouldn't have done unless I used these, such as analyzing every colorable claim even if it is fatally flawed and discussing what would happen if the case doesn't go the way you'd think. Discussing all possible outcomes is especially important because that way you might have to discuss subject matter you wouldn't have discussed otherwise. E.g., if you think a claim wouldn't survive summary judgment and stop there then you won't be able to analyze would happen if the case did go to trial and the losing party motioned for a new trial or judgment notwithstanding the verdict.

Rawlsian
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby Rawlsian » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks for answering our questions. The school requested that we send in a picture for our student I.D. cards and seating chart. Will this be the same picture that the school uses for it's facebook? Should I wear a suit? Or would it be more appropriate to wear a button up or polo?

blueberrymuffin
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby blueberrymuffin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:54 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I took a pic with and without the jacket and am kind of sitting on it right now. Although I think the one with the jacket looks better. :P They did say "professional" about 50 million times in the correspondences. The class of 2012 seems to be wearing whatever in their Facebook photos, while all the other classes are in suits. And yeah, the photos will also be used for the Facebook. You can see the other classes' photos by logging onto the intranet off the VULS website and clicking on the Facebook link.

sp63
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby sp63 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:35 am

From what I could tell from looking at the c/o 2012 Facebook, your picture in your 1L year doesn't matter as much. I bet they either told students to get new photos taken for the 2L and 3L Facebooks or they changed the guidelines after the c/o 2011 started, because I feel like they would have told us specifically to wear business formal if there was a need for it.

I'm a girl, so this obviously doesn't apply to the guys, but I just wore a nice cardigan in my picture. I think provided you are somewhere around business casual, you will be fine.

blueberrymuffin
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby blueberrymuffin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:36 am

sp63 wrote:From what I could tell from looking at the c/o 2012 Facebook, your picture in your 1L year doesn't matter as much. I bet they either told students to get new photos taken for the 2L and 3L Facebooks or they changed the guidelines after the c/o 2011 started, because I feel like they would have told us specifically to wear business formal if there was a need for it.

I'm a girl, so this obviously doesn't apply to the guys, but I just wore a nice cardigan in my picture. I think provided you are somewhere around business casual, you will be fine.


I agree that a suit is not required or it would have been explicitly requested. Just a matter of what range of formality is acceptable. Really, the Facebook, ID, and seating chart are not going to be publicly circulated, so I don't think it matters too much in the end if you wear a suit or sweater.

VandyTakingQuestions
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby VandyTakingQuestions » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:52 pm

The photo you submit online is just for the seating chart and your online profiles. They'll have a photographer come in for the facebook during the first couple weeks. Photo for the ID is separate too.

blueberrymuffin
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby blueberrymuffin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:25 pm

VandyTakingQuestions wrote:The photo you submit online is just for the seating chart and your online profiles. They'll have a photographer come in for the facebook during the first couple weeks. Photo for the ID is separate too.


We were told in E-mail correspondences that it would also be used for the Facebook photos and the student ID cards, so I'm guessing they changed it this year. Maybe to free up some time during orientation (and lose the cost of the photographer). The student ID cards are supposed to be ready for us to pick up when we arrive in Nashville since we submit the photos in advance.

VandyTakingQuestions
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby VandyTakingQuestions » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:14 am

blueberrymuffin wrote:
VandyTakingQuestions wrote:The photo you submit online is just for the seating chart and your online profiles. They'll have a photographer come in for the facebook during the first couple weeks. Photo for the ID is separate too.


We were told in E-mail correspondences that it would also be used for the Facebook photos and the student ID cards, so I'm guessing they changed it this year. Maybe to free up some time during orientation (and lose the cost of the photographer). The student ID cards are supposed to be ready for us to pick up when we arrive in Nashville since we submit the photos in advance.


Yeah, that is way more convenient then what we did last year.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:05 am

Does Vandy allow you to purchase books on your student account before your loans come in? Or does loan disbursement usually come after "life of the law" rather than actual classes which would give one plenty of time to buy books?

VandyTakingQuestions
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby VandyTakingQuestions » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:Does Vandy allow you to purchase books on your student account before your loans come in? Or does loan disbursement usually come after "life of the law" rather than actual classes which would give one plenty of time to buy books?


I'm not sure, I paid for books out of pocket before disbursement came in. I'm sure there is a way though. If it's a problem I'd call the school, the administration usually will bend over backwards to help with most problems. Maybe another student can field this one.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:03 am

pleasetryagain wrote:Does Vandy allow you to purchase books on your student account before your loans come in? Or does loan disbursement usually come after "life of the law" rather than actual classes which would give one plenty of time to buy books?


Yep, you can do this.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:49 am

jenesaislaw wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:Does Vandy allow you to purchase books on your student account before your loans come in? Or does loan disbursement usually come after "life of the law" rather than actual classes which would give one plenty of time to buy books?


Yep, you can do this.


can you comment on when disbursements come? is it after "life of the law" starts, or after real classes start?

sdv
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby sdv » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:57 am

pleasetryagain wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:Does Vandy allow you to purchase books on your student account before your loans come in? Or does loan disbursement usually come after "life of the law" rather than actual classes which would give one plenty of time to buy books?


Yep, you can do this.


can you comment on when disbursements come? is it after "life of the law" starts, or after real classes start?


We got an email (or was it a letter?) saying the money is available on August 20th and the refund checks will be available beginning August 25th.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby BunkMoreland » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:56 pm

for reference, that's the Wednesday after real classes start for all students. For some reason they don't do direct deposit so they'll have it available in the office that day at the law school. Believe me, I'm hounding for some new furniture so I'm keeping up to date with it lol.

sp63
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby sp63 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 am

I bought my parking permit for campus today (the first day the parking office supposedly made them available) and noticed that the permit will be delivered to my mailing address approximately 3 weeks after my purchase date, not to mention that it is effective as of September 2010 (not middle of August when Orientation starts). Is this really how long it takes? Just wondering because Orientation starts in 2 weeks, so I'll need somewhere to park if this is the case.

Thanks!

blueberrymuffin
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby blueberrymuffin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:30 am

sp63 wrote:I bought my parking permit for campus today (the first day the parking office supposedly made them available) and noticed that the permit will be delivered to my mailing address approximately 3 weeks after my purchase date, not to mention that it is effective as of September 2010 (not middle of August when Orientation starts). Is this really how long it takes? Just wondering because Orientation starts in 2 weeks, so I'll need somewhere to park if this is the case.

Thanks!


I asked them about this and was told it would not be a problem. Later that day I got an automated E-mail saying that my permit had already been mailed and would be effective as soon as it's received. In the meantime, you can display your receipt on the dash. You've prob already received this E-mail since writing your post. :)

sp63
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby sp63 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks! I didn't actually get that email, so that's really good to know.

Another question... I checked OAK/Blackboard/YES and found my course schedule posted. I have Sherry for Civ Pro, Prince/Hazelwood for LRW, Stack for Reg State, and Seymore for Torts. Does anyone have any insights about these professors?

If it matters, I have George and Farahany for Life of the Law. Thanks!
Last edited by sp63 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby Grizz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:21 pm

sp63 wrote:So I checked OAK/Blackboard/YES and found my course schedule posted. I have Sherry for Civ Pro, Prince/Hazelwood for LRW, Stack for Reg State, and Seymore for Torts. Does anyone have any insights about these professors?

If it matters, I have George and Farahany for Life of the Law. Thanks!


How?

sp63
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby sp63 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:24 pm

rad law wrote:
sp63 wrote:So I checked OAK/Blackboard/YES and found my course schedule posted. I have Sherry for Civ Pro, Prince/Hazelwood for LRW, Stack for Reg State, and Seymore for Torts. Does anyone have any insights about these professors?

If it matters, I have George and Farahany for Life of the Law. Thanks!


How?


If you log into the Vandy intranet and click on calendars/schedules (second tab on the top left), your schedule should pop up.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby Grizz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:25 pm

sp63 wrote:So I checked OAK/Blackboard/YES and found my course schedule posted. I have Sherry for Civ Pro, Prince/Hazelwood for LRW, Stack for Reg State, and Seymore for Torts. Does anyone have any insights about these professors?

If it matters, I have George and Farahany for Life of the Law. Thanks!


NM found it.

LAW 606-01 Contracts (A1) George, Tracey
LAW 614-02 Legal Writing I (A2 Res) Jordan, Stephen T
LAW 614-02 Legal Writing I (A2) Alsup, Roger
LAW 605-03 Life of the Law (3) ^ George, Tracey/Farahany, Nita
LAW 610-01 Regulatory State (A) Bressman, Lisa
LAW 621-01 Torts (A) Farahany, Nita

blueberrymuffin
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby blueberrymuffin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:35 pm

sp63 wrote:Thanks! I didn't actually get that email, so that's really good to know.

Another question... I checked OAK/Blackboard/YES and found my course schedule posted. I have Sherry for Civ Pro, Prince/Hazelwood for LRW, Stack for Reg State, and Seymore for Torts. Does anyone have any insights about these professors?

If it matters, I have George and Farahany for Life of the Law. Thanks!


Sounds like I'm in your section, except Prince/Davis for legal writing and different Life of the Law.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby BunkMoreland » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:26 pm

LAW 606-01 Contracts (A1) George, Tracey
everyone's collective favorite prof. She is really amazing, helps you if you fuck up on Socratic, calls on you in rows so you know when you're about to be called on, has cool contests with dorky prizes all the time, uses Powerpoint and puts em up on Oak, dresses well and is very cute. Exam is tough, but very fair. I think she and the Dean are life partners, as a bit of gossip for you.

LAW 605-03 Life of the Law (3) ^ George, Tracey/Farahany, Nita
see above/below

LAW 610-01 Regulatory State (A) Bressman, Lisa
She's a genius at this subject, and could probably talk about it for days on end without realizing she was boring other people. I think the mood of the class with her was that she was insane at first, but by the end of the semester as we got to see the worth of the course, she became pretty chill. She's a little aspie, though.

LAW 621-01 Torts (A) Farahany, Nita

She really operates on a different level than the rest of us, just got appointed to some thing for Obama having to do with neuroscience and the law, major HOTTIE, she goes a little fast in class and no powerpoint or anything, and she's sarcastic as hell, but the exam was pretty easy. Plus she's always at Blackacre and stuff like that, very easy to talk to outside of class.


I hope this helps, and good luck.

djgoldbe
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby djgoldbe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:32 am

blueberrymuffin wrote:
sp63 wrote:Thanks! I didn't actually get that email, so that's really good to know.

Another question... I checked OAK/Blackboard/YES and found my course schedule posted. I have Sherry for Civ Pro, Prince/Hazelwood for LRW, Stack for Reg State, and Seymore for Torts. Does anyone have any insights about these professors?

If it matters, I have George and Farahany for Life of the Law. Thanks!


Sounds like I'm in your section, except Prince/Davis for legal writing and different Life of the Law.


I'm in this section as well. Bunk/gator/anyone else have any insight into these professors?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests