Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gogators

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Postby gogators » Wed May 26, 2010 5:48 pm

djgoldbe wrote:
sp63 wrote:Thanks for taking questions!

Where do you park if you are driving to campus? Is it close to the Law School?

Also, is Vanderbilt a Mac friendly school with respect to exam writing software? If you had to estimate, what is the breakdown between Mac and PC users?

I'm not a current student but I'm pretty sure the exams require windows so at the very least you'll need to have bootcamp/a windows OS set up.

No this is incorrect. The exam software is supported, at least now, on Macs. That being said, there actually was a glitch in the Spring semester for people using macs. During one of my finals, everyone with a mac who kept the document statistics windows open (basically word count, etc.) had their computer slowdown and so when you typed it would trail far behind. They fixed it and its not a problem anymore. However, since about half the class used Macs...they were frustrated lol.

btw....SCREW APPLE

djgoldbe

Postby djgoldbe » Thu May 27, 2010 1:58 am

ah ok, my bad.

blueberrymuffin

Postby blueberrymuffin » Thu May 27, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi- I'm currently considering a large unit just west of Belle Meade (north of Percy Warner Park), but I'm concerned about the commute. I read in this thread that the commute to Bellevue is about 20-25 min? Is that.... in rush hour before morning classes? Or a leisurely drive in no traffic? I can handle 20 min... my last commute to school was 15 min drive plus a bus ride... but I don't want to go over 30 min. Otherwise I'm pretty excited about the unit if I can snag it in time...

thanks for the help-

gogators

Postby gogators » Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 pm

blueberrymuffin wrote:Hi- I'm currently considering a large unit just west of Belle Meade (north of Percy Warner Park), but I'm concerned about the commute. I read in this thread that the commute to Bellevue is about 20-25 min? Is that.... in rush hour before morning classes? Or a leisurely drive in no traffic? I can handle 20 min... my last commute to school was 15 min drive plus a bus ride... but I don't want to go over 30 min. Otherwise I'm pretty excited about the unit if I can snag it in time...

thanks for the help-

I can only related what I've heard from others. I think the you're looking at 30 mins ish. Traffic on 21st in the morning can kinda suck (along with West End). That being said, hopefully someone else with experience can let you know. Ask the question on the facebook group.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu May 27, 2010 11:14 pm

gogators wrote:
blueberrymuffin wrote:Hi- I'm currently considering a large unit just west of Belle Meade (north of Percy Warner Park), but I'm concerned about the commute. I read in this thread that the commute to Bellevue is about 20-25 min? Is that.... in rush hour before morning classes? Or a leisurely drive in no traffic? I can handle 20 min... my last commute to school was 15 min drive plus a bus ride... but I don't want to go over 30 min. Otherwise I'm pretty excited about the unit if I can snag it in time...

thanks for the help-

I can only related what I've heard from others. I think the you're looking at 30 mins ish. Traffic on 21st in the morning can kinda suck (along with West End). That being said, hopefully someone else with experience can let you know. Ask the question on the facebook group.

That commute will be a little bit of a pain if you leave during rush hour in the afternoon. The morning can be a little more sporadic with traffic, but not a significant improvement. I lived in Belle Meade while taking a summer class during UG - getting up West End to the interstate (to the west of campus, of course; getting to the interstate on the east side is exponentially worse near rush hour and you are not going to be moving once you get on) was tortuous from 4PM on (as was the alternate route of just staying on West End), and from that point you're looking at around 20 minutes (IIRC) to get to Belle Meade (I got off the highway near the big semi-abandoned mall in that area, can't remember its name) with the highway traffic. 21st just isn't worth taking to Belle Meade, IMO. Basically 1 lane and Green Hills Mall absolutely kills the traffic flow. I'd guesstimate more along the lines of 30-35 minutes when it's busy, 20 seems reasonable for off-peak hours. That said, don't let the traffic dissuade you. The drive will likely only require a few more minutes than your arbitrary cutoff :wink: Belle Meade apartments are going to be larger and cheaper than the stuff around campus - I'd pull the trigger.

Edited for syntax, clarity, reasoning, etc. etc.

blueberrymuffin

Postby blueberrymuffin » Fri May 28, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks for the info! Sounds pretty promising.

drylo

Postby drylo » Sat May 29, 2010 9:59 pm

thanks for the help-

I don't live in Bellevue, but I live close... Depending on where exactly it is, I would say you can probably take back roads and get there in less than 30... probably less than 25... but that depends where exactly it is.

Edit: in the morning commute, that is.

sdv

Postby sdv » Sun May 30, 2010 9:44 am

thanks for the help-

I'm living in Bellevue next year - it took me exactly 12 minutes from the law school parking lot to the apartment complex, with very light traffic (Sunday afternoon). Obviously traffic will add to that, but I'm surprised at all the postings claiming there's no way to get there in less than 20. I definitely respect everyone else's opinion, having been there longer, but no traffic equalled under 15 minutes for me.

chrisgirl

Postby chrisgirl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:58 am

What about low GPA's but a high LSAT? Do they look at the LSAT or the GPA more?

gogators

Postby gogators » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:38 pm

chrisgirl wrote:What about low GPA's but a high LSAT? Do they look at the LSAT or the GPA more?

Dependant on the situation. I know people who came in with a 4.0 and low 160's and those with 172 and low 3.0's. Personally, I think that Vandy prefers the higher GPA unless you have a reason like engineering or something. But this is a matter of opinion.

Pierre521

Postby Pierre521 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 am

Any advice on computers? I'm looking to buy a PC. Do you know of any specific model that is popular with Vandy students? Thanks

gogators

Postby gogators » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:44 am

Pierre521 wrote:Any advice on computers? I'm looking to buy a PC. Do you know of any specific model that is popular with Vandy students? Thanks

Nothing really stands out. I would say absolutely don't get a netbook. And, don't think like someone else I saw that you could use an iPad. Other than that, just make sure you have microsoft onenote and thats about it.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:46 am

gogators wrote:
Pierre521 wrote:Any advice on computers? I'm looking to buy a PC. Do you know of any specific model that is popular with Vandy students? Thanks

Nothing really stands out. I would say absolutely don't get a netbook. And, don't think like someone else I saw that you could use an iPad. Other than that, just make sure you have microsoft onenote and thats about it.

Really? I thought a netbok would be very handy to bring in classes instead of hauling a laptop. Why not a netbook?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:57 am

First of all, I'd like to say I really appreciate yall answering questions; it's been helpful. I just wanted to know if there was an agreed-upon collection of supplements that everyone buys. Thank you very much in advance.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:57 am

How is Vandy's Atlanta placement?

gogators

Postby gogators » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:12 pm

krj02004 wrote:
gogators wrote:

Really? I thought a netbok would be very handy to bring in classes instead of hauling a laptop. Why not a netbook?

I know a couple of people who have them, and they seemed to hate it. While yes we do use our laptops all day long, its really not a big deal to have a regular sized laptop because when you sit down in class or the library, you're there for awhile. its not like you're running around all day long and need something lighter. Without a weight issue, you're basically typing A LOT on a very small keyboard for hours everyday for at least 9 months. Think about that for a bit. Plus just for myself, having a netbook with Windows XP instead of the new windows 7 would be a waste of my time.

gogators

Postby gogators » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:19 pm

rad law wrote:First of all, I'd like to say I really appreciate yall answering questions; it's been helpful. I just wanted to know if there was an agreed-upon collection of supplements that everyone buys. Thank you very much in advance.

Well at least in the first semester a lot of people bought every supplement they could seemingly find. That got reduced substantially in the second semester. I tended to use supplements a lot so here's my list:

-Civ Pro: Civ Pro by Freer (this is a hornbook but its GOLD, especially if you have Sherry)
-Contracts: Just stick with the E&E, but its going to really depend on your professor. Mine was big into the UCC and Restatement while others are not
-Torts: E&E's I found a little simplistic for this simplistic class so just borrow some of the hornbooks in the library when you need to
Legal Writing: Just Memos (its a book, and its got great examples for the first semester of legal writing)
Con law: Everyone raves about Cherminsky, and I used it a little during the semester, but I found the classes far more useful
Crim law: Dressler's Understanding Series (this is another GOLD mine book, you must have this)
Property: E&E should be fine

gogators

Postby gogators » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:21 pm

jms1987 wrote:How is Vandy's Atlanta placement?

As far as I know Georgia is the second highest location for alums, and Vandy places extremely well there. In fact I've been told by some that it's even better than Emory as many law firms there seem to not like the school. (Take this with a grain though)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:19 pm

gogators wrote:In fact I've been told by some that it's even better than Emory

A bunch of Emory kids actually told me that Vanderbilt > Emory in ATL. I hope they're right.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:08 pm

gogators wrote:
rad law wrote:First of all, I'd like to say I really appreciate yall answering questions; it's been helpful. I just wanted to know if there was an agreed-upon collection of supplements that everyone buys. Thank you very much in advance.

Well at least in the first semester a lot of people bought every supplement they could seemingly find. That got reduced substantially in the second semester. I tended to use supplements a lot so here's my list:

-Civ Pro: Civ Pro by Freer (this is a hornbook but its GOLD, especially if you have Sherry)
-Contracts: Just stick with the E&E, but its going to really depend on your professor. Mine was big into the UCC and Restatement while others are not
-Torts: E&E's I found a little simplistic for this simplistic class so just borrow some of the hornbooks in the library when you need to
Legal Writing: Just Memos (its a book, and its got great examples for the first semester of legal writing)
Con law: Everyone raves about Cherminsky, and I used it a little during the semester, but I found the classes far more useful
Crim law: Dressler's Understanding Series (this is another GOLD mine book, you must have this)

I kind of have no idea what you are talking about and it scares me :(. Are these materials in addition to the requird textbooks? Do they tell you this or are yo just supposed to know?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:32 pm

gogators wrote:

Thanks, gogators.

gogators

Postby gogators » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:34 pm

krj02004 wrote:
gogators wrote:

I kind of have no idea what you are talking about and it scares me :(. Are these materials in addition to the requird textbooks? Do they tell you this or are yo just supposed to know?

No they don't tell you about the supplements, (except for Sherry I think), so people kind of just learn by trial. I would suggest that you start with these and the branch out after you have a better idea. Bottom line though, supplemental knowledge will not really raise your grades, so just use them if you don't understand a core concept talked about in class or the casebook.

Pierre521

Postby Pierre521 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:02 pm

What should we expect from The Life of the Law, the 1 credit course during orientation? Will there be an exam in this class?

gogators

Postby gogators » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Pierre521 wrote:What should we expect from The Life of the Law, the 1 credit course during orientation? Will there be an exam in this class?

Life of the Law is an interesting class. When you're going through the class, things seem daunting. You have actual class, where two professors will throw around legal terminology and call on people. However, its incredibly more laid back than real class and looking back it was a great experience. I know from talking with friends at other law schools that they felt like they were simply thrown into the frying pan on the first day of class. Myself and my classmates however felt almost like quasi veterans of the legal learning process.

That being said, yes there is an exam at the end of it but its not really graded. All they require is a GOOD FAITH EFFORT (this won't be the last time you hear this phrase) and everything is multiple choice (if I remember correctly). In the end, enjoy the experience and use it to get to know your classmates as you take the class with your section.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks "gogators" for all the information you've given... I decided that I won't be attending Vandy in the fall. I will be heading to Iowa instread.

Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”