Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Magnolia

Silver

Re: Vanderbilt 1L Taking Questions

Post by Magnolia » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:26 pm

What are the options for cable and internet providers in Nashville?

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Magnolia wrote:What are the options for cable and internet providers in Nashville?
Realistically, only Comcast (which is unbelievably horrible, they have a monopoly, and they know it). AT&T is slowly coming into certain parts of town, and there is always satelite, but even though Comcast is crazy expensive, these services are even more when you don't sign a 3 year deal. As much as I hate to say it, Comcast is the only player in town.

P.S. Word of advice, schedule your appt. to hook up your cable ASAP. If you wait till august you literally won't have cable of internet for at least 2 weeks after moving in.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:33 pm

The accounting professor is Kevin Crumbo. We nicknamed him BFD because he thinks he's a big fucking deal and talks about it all the time. I hated that exam. The final didn't test accounting at all. I was teaching people accounting the night before with ease. They didn't get it at all and yet got the same grade (B+). Pisses me off still. It just didn't do anything to distinguish who knew what was going on, and who didn't.

I actually like Comcast cable. I think their cable service is great, and On Demand services are the best. I'm now using Time Warner in NC and I can't stand it. So bad. Comcast's interest was so bad, though, that we canceled it and went with AT&T. It cost plenty more ($50/month) but was worth it...that's how bad Comcast internet was (at the Grove, can't speak to elsewhere).

Here's some advice for dealing with these companies. Complain. Threaten to cancel. Complain more. Don't give up complaining. They will give you stuff for free. They will give you deals. There is a lot of room to play if you're not afraid to be aggressive.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:17 pm

ktg808 wrote:
fingersxd wrote:Do any 1L's still have their copy of "What Every Law Student Really Needs to Know: An Introduction to the Study of Law" that I can get on the cheap?
+1
As much as I'd like Professor George to get the royalty, the first of you two to PM me gets mine for free.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:19 pm

gogators wrote: P.S. Word of advice, schedule your appt. to hook up your cable ASAP. If you wait till august you literally won't have cable of internet for at least 2 weeks after moving in.
Can't stress this enough. Do it as soon as you have an apartment or you'll be stuck without cable/internet and have to worry about meeting/waiting on the cable guy all day during your first few days of classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cmckid

New

Post by cmckid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:03 am

jenesaislaw wrote:The accounting professor is Kevin Crumbo. We nicknamed him BFD because he thinks he's a big fucking deal and talks about it all the time. I hated that exam. The final didn't test accounting at all. I was teaching people accounting the night before with ease. They didn't get it at all and yet got the same grade (B+). Pisses me off still. It just didn't do anything to distinguish who knew what was going on, and who didn't.

I actually like Comcast cable. I think their cable service is great, and On Demand services are the best. I'm now using Time Warner in NC and I can't stand it. So bad. Comcast's interest was so bad, though, that we canceled it and went with AT&T. It cost plenty more ($50/month) but was worth it...that's how bad Comcast internet was (at the Grove, can't speak to elsewhere).

Here's some advice for dealing with these companies. Complain. Threaten to cancel. Complain more. Don't give up complaining. They will give you stuff for free. They will give you deals. There is a lot of room to play if you're not afraid to be aggressive.
You really disliked his class that much? Or was it just because of the group project?

lsapplicant07

New

Post by lsapplicant07 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:11 pm

*deleted
Last edited by lsapplicant07 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:51 am

lsapplicant07 wrote:I am starting at Vandy in a few weeks and we have to pick a place to live (I have a wife and daughter). I realize we are on the late side of things but it couldn't be helped.

Ideally, we were hoping to get a house just east of campus near Taco Mamacita but there doesn't seem to be any left.

It looks like there are houses for rent in the Sylvan Heights area - do you know of students who live there or are there any other areas you would recommend? We are looking to spend in the neighborhood of $1,300 but would love to spend less if we can and just save the extra money.

Any advice welcome. Thanks a lot!
I used to live in the Taco Mamacita area in music row. It is hard to find apartments for $1300 in that area let alone houses - and yes.. a lot are gone now. I live in Sylvan Heights now and I love it. You should be able to get a house in that price range - it wont be a palace mind you but it wont be a dump either. There should be some availability - my friend just rented a house in the neighborhood. look between 35th and 46th back into the named streets i.e. Dakota, Nebraska, etc. This is really short notice and I wuld anticipate havng to sign for Sep 1 at this point. PM me if you have questions.

Run and Tell That

New

Post by Run and Tell That » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Anyone here taken Prof. Swain? I'm def not trying to start a debate and am pretty middle-of-the-road politically, but this is kinda out there http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110 ... od|mostcom

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Never heard of her. She sounds dumb though.

Run and Tell That

New

Post by Run and Tell That » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks Bunk- Obviously she could be a great professor for all I know, but I'm glad that she doesn't seem to be an influential faculty member.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Run and Tell That wrote:Thanks Bunk- Obviously she could be a great professor for all I know, but I'm glad that she doesn't seem to be an influential faculty member.
Professor Swain is one of the most "famous" professors at Vandy. And by famous I mean she is quoted in newspapers and appears on Fox News (and others) fairly regularly. She is a very nice woman and interesting to speak to but definitely on the "out there" list when it comes to this whole "religion is the answer to every single political/legal problem" thing.

Run and Tell That

New

Post by Run and Tell That » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Professor Swain is one of the most "famous" professors at Vandy. And by famous I mean she is quoted in newspapers and appears on Fox News (and others) fairly regularly. She is a very nice woman and interesting to speak to but definitely on the "out there" list when it comes to this whole "religion is the answer to every single political/legal problem" thing.
Well, I guess it's always good to interact with people who have different viewpoints. Thanks for the info!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:36 am

Sorry if this has been covered, but what's the process for getting on journals? Also, any recommendations on parking passes?

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:43 am

Hannibal wrote:Sorry if this has been covered, but what's the process for getting on journals? Also, any recommendations on parking passes?
write on competition starts immediately following the last final spring semester. you have roughly two weeks to finish a student note, editing quiz and bluebook exercise. you rank the journals that you're interested in. each journal gets 32 new members each year. 16 for law review are automatic with grades although you won't know ahead of time if you're one of the 16. don't remember if the 16 rule also applies to the other journals. after the 16, people are put in journals based on rank and scores for the write on competition. if you make it you get a phone call and asked to accept.

note-on competition isn't really a competition. its more of a "you can submit a note by the same deadline as our journal members and if we like it we might offer you a spot." the meeting is held in the fall of you're 2L year with the deadline roughly in march. many people attend the meeting but never bother to finish a note and turn it in. even fewer actually get on by note-on. roughly one person per year might make it onto any of the journals via note on. whether your note gets published depends on the journal. law review = no. transnational = yes. jetlaw = maybe.

ELPAR (enviromental law policy and review). this isn't exactly a journal, and its also the only one that you can do in CONJUNCTION with the other journals. you don't really write from what I understand, you just edit pieces coming in and select which pieces to be published. professor vandenburgh runs it and the people in it are very dedicated. the write on competition is at the same time as the regular write on competition, but i do know at least one person who both wrote on to ELPAR and law review.

hope that helps.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:13 pm

LR = 16 write on spots, 16 grade on spots, but everyone who wants to get on law review must participate in the competition regardless of grades. You need a good faith effort even of you have one of those top GPAs

Trans and JET = 32 spots per journal, both write on scores and grades count, though I could not find the metric

ELPAR = Basically what gogarors said. I think they take like 8. Writing comp for ELPAR was a week or so after journal comp, but housing find out journal results until the ELPAR deadline has passed.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:49 am

Any rising 2L's still have any of their 1L books they'd be willing to sell? If so, shoot me a PM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jazzmastersc

New

Post by jazzmastersc » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:23 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:Does Vandy allow you to purchase books on your student account before your loans come in? Or does loan disbursement usually come after "life of the law" rather than actual classes which would give one plenty of time to buy books?
Yep, you can do this.
Does anyone know how to charge purchases to a student account on the bookstore website? I only see options for a credit card or gift card. Thanks.

jazzmastersc

New

Post by jazzmastersc » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Sorry to double-post, but the bookstore manager informed me that online orders must be charged to a credit card. When students pick up their books, they may refund credit card purchases to their student accounts.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:45 pm

jazzmastersc wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:Does Vandy allow you to purchase books on your student account before your loans come in? Or does loan disbursement usually come after "life of the law" rather than actual classes which would give one plenty of time to buy books?
Yep, you can do this.
Does anyone know how to charge purchases to a student account on the bookstore website? I only see options for a credit card or gift card. Thanks.

You have to go to card services in person (at the Sarrat Student Center) and fill out a form. They swipe your card and put the funds are on it. OR you go to the students accounts website and do it form there: https://services.jsatech.com/login.php? ... dit&cid=16& . Though I dont know if you are allowed to do this frm the site as an incoming 1L.

The only way I know how to use the card is to be physically present in the store. I believe you can preorder the books online then pick them up though Im not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Can any current Vandy 2Ls or 3Ls speak to the effectiveness of LEEWS? I keep going back and forth on whether or not to do it, and I had decided not to but now (10 days before orientation) I'm once again having doubts, and this is pretty much the time to do it if I want to go for it. I saw someone else asked the question last summer, but not much of an answer was given. Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:37 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Can any current Vandy 2Ls or 3Ls speak to the effectiveness of LEEWS? I keep going back and forth on whether or not to do it, and I had decided not to but now (10 days before orientation) I'm once again having doubts, and this is pretty much the time to do it if I want to go for it. I saw someone else asked the question last summer, but not much of an answer was given. Thanks!
Bumping this, I need to know whether or not to LEEWS it up fairly soon....

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 pm

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Any 2L's still have their books and/or supplements from 1L that they are looking to sell?

Especially interested in supplements for K's and Civ Pro at this point.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:16 pm

3Ls: What, if any, supplements would you recommend for Corporations (specifically Blair's class)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”