Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paratactical

Platinum

Re: Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions...

Post by paratactical » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earthlawyer

New

Post by earthlawyer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Congrats on scholly - that is AMAZING.

I want that. Do you know of anyone else who got full plus stipend? Are they all children's literacy group starters? Because if so, I'm SOL I think.

What's the competition like at BLS?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:19 pm

paratactical wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I feel like i should keep a copy of my resume at the ready to paste into threads... Why is it that I'm the only one who gets a credential check every 8 days or so? :lol:

TTT-Grad.

Passed NY and CT Bar July 08.

Midlaw NYC area. 75 Attys or so in my firm.

Practice area: Commercial litigation, products liability, toxic tort, civil rights, general litigation and construction defects.

Will OS and/or Paratactical (coolest girls on TLS) please verify the authenticity of my circum vitae?
This information is completely credited, though he left out the fact that he also has a damn smokin' lady.
I like her better than any of the accomplishments noted above, but didn't want to brag.. Thanks para ;) You aren't so bad yourself ya know ;)

i don't know how you deflect all those biglaw pervs that must hastle you unendingly ;)

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:37 pm

paratactical wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
I like her better than any of the accomplishments noted above, but didn't want to brag.. Thanks para ;) You aren't so bad yourself ya know ;)

i don't know how you deflect all those biglaw pervs that must hastle you unendingly ;)
<3 The only one who did was really dirty about it and when I mentioned him making me and others really uncomfortable to another attorney I had a good relationship with, he abruptly found another position elsewhere.

Thats gross.... Good for you. There is no room for that in the workplace..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:53 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
paratactical wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

<3 The only one who did was really dirty about it and when I mentioned him making me and others really uncomfortable to another attorney I had a good relationship with, he abruptly found another position elsewhere.

Thats gross.... Good for you. There is no room for that in the workplace..
Para, darling, well done. I have also been harassed in the workplace. It's really, really common.

I also certify that RM is as he says, and he's been very kind and helpful. Just the fact that he comes back here at all...

AP: yes, you have me there. I'm a passionate person, here and offline. :lol:

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
dreman510 wrote:
Always Credited wrote:OP, with numbers to warrant a full scholly+stipend from BLS (which I would also be rather tempted to take, if offered) which schools did you turn down?

I know this is kind of personal, but I hope you don't mind.
Cardozo with significant scholly, Miami with significant scholly, and GMU with a bit. I did not pursue Emory, Fordham or BU waitlists, and I think I wouldve gotten into one, as I already had the scholarship I wanted.
I will say op... BLS with a full ride is something that I would not turn down. Congrats on that.. You will come to learn that what I am saying is true, but that frankly, its not a bad thing.. There are the elite law schools and the regular law schools and then there are the real fringe shit shops.. As long as you go to a good LS, work hard, keep debt down (not a problem for you), and really put in the time, a nice middle class life is there for the taking.
Thanks-I understand the challenges facing me...
Last edited by dreman510 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:11 pm

earthlawyer wrote:Congrats on scholly - that is AMAZING.

I want that. Do you know of anyone else who got full plus stipend? Are they all children's literacy group starters? Because if so, I'm SOL I think.

What's the competition like at BLS?
I know other people who got the same scholly that I did. As with any non T-14, the competition is tough. I have not seen any real competitiveness yet, aside from the usual gunners. People are nice and share notes...

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Bump now that I have gotten grades and have a 1L summer job...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:13 pm

dreman510 wrote:Bump now that I have gotten grades and have a 1L summer job...
How did each work out for you?

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:38 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
dreman510 wrote:Bump now that I have gotten grades and have a 1L summer job...
How did each work out for you?
Both worked out well...
in terms of the grades, I will make a plug for Arrow's article, Success in Law School, and Jaycutlercombover's blog as the reasons for my success

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Wanna talk a little about the position you got? how you got it, how others in your class did in terms of securing work...etcetc

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:42 pm

itsfine wrote:Wanna talk a little about the position you got? how you got it, how others in your class did in terms of securing work...etcetc
The position i have is a federal judge internship-but I got it through my own actions, by just mailing cover letters and resumes early on. I know that some of my classmates have secured jobs- and a bunch have interviews coming up with DA's and US attorney's offices in NYC. A lot of people are interning for state judges.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bludvl_prelaw

New

Post by bludvl_prelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Two questions:

1. How easy is it to get housing in Feil? Do you get to say that you want to live there as opposed to the other residences?

2. 3.39/166, biology major from Duke. Chances at a scholarship? (I've already been accepted.)

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 pm

bludvl_prelaw wrote:Two questions:

1. How easy is it to get housing in Feil? Do you get to say that you want to live there as opposed to the other residences?

2. 3.39/166, biology major from Duke. Chances at a scholarship? (I've already been accepted.)
Congrats on the acceptance!
1. I believe you can request where you want to live, although im not 100% sure, since I live off campus. However, every 1L I know that wanted housing in Feil got it. Im sure you can request anyway, especially as a negotiating tool.
2. I would say they will offer you around $35K off the bat, if not full
Good luck-and feel free to ask any more questions

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:00 pm

since you mentioned scholarships just now, I know cardozo offers stipends to qualified candidates, but I havent seen much talk about brooklyn offering them. Do you know off hand if they give full rides plus stipends (cardozo's is 5k)??

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:02 pm

itsfine wrote:since you mentioned scholarships just now, I know cardozo offers stipends to qualified candidates, but I havent seen much talk about brooklyn offering them. Do you know off hand if they give full rides plus stipends (cardozo's is 5k)??
yes-i have a full+stipend, i believe bls gives up to 10K.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bludvl_prelaw

New

Post by bludvl_prelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:29 pm

dreman510 wrote:

1. I believe you can request where you want to live, although im not 100% sure, since I live off campus. However, every 1L I know that wanted housing in Feil got it. Im sure you can request anyway, especially as a negotiating tool.
Stupid question: you mean 35K per year, right?

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:32 pm

bludvl_prelaw wrote:
dreman510 wrote:

Stupid question: you mean 35K per year, right?
ill take this one....
yeah he def. meant that.

ligirl

New

Post by ligirl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Just got in today.. if you don't live on campus, what areas would you recommend looking for apartments? Also my stats are 162/3.75 any scholly?

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:48 am

ligirl wrote:Just got in today.. if you don't live on campus, what areas would you recommend looking for apartments? Also my stats are 162/3.75 any scholly?
You will prob get some scholly-it depends on some of your softs.
In terms of people that live off campus, I know some people live in Park Slope/Cobble Hill/Prospect Park Area. There are others who live in the Village or Lower East Side. Even if you want to live on the Upper West Side-its about 25 minutes away.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschool10124

New

Post by lawschool10124 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 am

Found out I got in last week, but no word on scholly yet...

How far of a gap was there for you, between your acceptance letter and your scholly letter? Do I have to wait until post-FAFSA submission?

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:13 pm

lawschool10124 wrote:Found out I got in last week, but no word on scholly yet...

How far of a gap was there for you, between your acceptance letter and your scholly letter? Do I have to wait until post-FAFSA submission?
It has nothing to do with FAFSA-I believe they send scholly info to everyone in mid-March

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:22 pm

How hard is it to keep scholarships at BLS/are there requirements for yours? Have you heard about anyone losing theirs?

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:27 pm

wakefield wrote:How hard is it to keep scholarships at BLS/are there requirements for yours? Have you heard about anyone losing theirs?
Most people have a top-40% requirement, which can be quite difficult, as some people say that they stack people with scholarships all in the same section. However, I havent found that to be the case, since I know plenty people with scholly in other sections. Nonetheless, its impossible to predict your grades.
I have heard of people losing their grades, but thats in any school...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”