Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
paratactical

Re: Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions...

Postby paratactical » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earthlawyer

Postby earthlawyer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Congrats on scholly - that is AMAZING.

I want that. Do you know of anyone else who got full plus stipend? Are they all children's literacy group starters? Because if so, I'm SOL I think.

What's the competition like at BLS?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:19 pm

paratactical wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I feel like i should keep a copy of my resume at the ready to paste into threads... Why is it that I'm the only one who gets a credential check every 8 days or so? :lol:

TTT-Grad.

Passed NY and CT Bar July 08.

Midlaw NYC area. 75 Attys or so in my firm.

Practice area: Commercial litigation, products liability, toxic tort, civil rights, general litigation and construction defects.

Will OS and/or Paratactical (coolest girls on TLS) please verify the authenticity of my circum vitae?

This information is completely credited, though he left out the fact that he also has a damn smokin' lady.

I like her better than any of the accomplishments noted above, but didn't want to brag.. Thanks para ;) You aren't so bad yourself ya know ;)

i don't know how you deflect all those biglaw pervs that must hastle you unendingly ;)

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:37 pm

paratactical wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
I like her better than any of the accomplishments noted above, but didn't want to brag.. Thanks para ;) You aren't so bad yourself ya know ;)

i don't know how you deflect all those biglaw pervs that must hastle you unendingly ;)

<3 The only one who did was really dirty about it and when I mentioned him making me and others really uncomfortable to another attorney I had a good relationship with, he abruptly found another position elsewhere.

Thats gross.... Good for you. There is no room for that in the workplace..

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:53 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
paratactical wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

<3 The only one who did was really dirty about it and when I mentioned him making me and others really uncomfortable to another attorney I had a good relationship with, he abruptly found another position elsewhere.

Thats gross.... Good for you. There is no room for that in the workplace..

Para, darling, well done. I have also been harassed in the workplace. It's really, really common.

I also certify that RM is as he says, and he's been very kind and helpful. Just the fact that he comes back here at all...

AP: yes, you have me there. I'm a passionate person, here and offline. :lol:

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
dreman510 wrote:
Always Credited wrote:OP, with numbers to warrant a full scholly+stipend from BLS (which I would also be rather tempted to take, if offered) which schools did you turn down?

I know this is kind of personal, but I hope you don't mind.

Cardozo with significant scholly, Miami with significant scholly, and GMU with a bit. I did not pursue Emory, Fordham or BU waitlists, and I think I wouldve gotten into one, as I already had the scholarship I wanted.

I will say op... BLS with a full ride is something that I would not turn down. Congrats on that.. You will come to learn that what I am saying is true, but that frankly, its not a bad thing.. There are the elite law schools and the regular law schools and then there are the real fringe shit shops.. As long as you go to a good LS, work hard, keep debt down (not a problem for you), and really put in the time, a nice middle class life is there for the taking.

Thanks-I understand the challenges facing me...
Last edited by dreman510 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:11 pm

earthlawyer wrote:Congrats on scholly - that is AMAZING.

I want that. Do you know of anyone else who got full plus stipend? Are they all children's literacy group starters? Because if so, I'm SOL I think.

What's the competition like at BLS?

I know other people who got the same scholly that I did. As with any non T-14, the competition is tough. I have not seen any real competitiveness yet, aside from the usual gunners. People are nice and share notes...

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Bump now that I have gotten grades and have a 1L summer job...

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:13 pm

dreman510 wrote:Bump now that I have gotten grades and have a 1L summer job...

How did each work out for you?

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:38 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
dreman510 wrote:Bump now that I have gotten grades and have a 1L summer job...

How did each work out for you?

Both worked out well...
in terms of the grades, I will make a plug for Arrow's article, Success in Law School, and Jaycutlercombover's blog as the reasons for my success

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Wanna talk a little about the position you got? how you got it, how others in your class did in terms of securing work...etcetc

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:42 pm

itsfine wrote:Wanna talk a little about the position you got? how you got it, how others in your class did in terms of securing work...etcetc

The position i have is a federal judge internship-but I got it through my own actions, by just mailing cover letters and resumes early on. I know that some of my classmates have secured jobs- and a bunch have interviews coming up with DA's and US attorney's offices in NYC. A lot of people are interning for state judges.

bludvl_prelaw

Postby bludvl_prelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Two questions:

1. How easy is it to get housing in Feil? Do you get to say that you want to live there as opposed to the other residences?

2. 3.39/166, biology major from Duke. Chances at a scholarship? (I've already been accepted.)

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 pm

bludvl_prelaw wrote:Two questions:

1. How easy is it to get housing in Feil? Do you get to say that you want to live there as opposed to the other residences?

2. 3.39/166, biology major from Duke. Chances at a scholarship? (I've already been accepted.)

Congrats on the acceptance!
1. I believe you can request where you want to live, although im not 100% sure, since I live off campus. However, every 1L I know that wanted housing in Feil got it. Im sure you can request anyway, especially as a negotiating tool.
2. I would say they will offer you around $35K off the bat, if not full
Good luck-and feel free to ask any more questions

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:00 pm

since you mentioned scholarships just now, I know cardozo offers stipends to qualified candidates, but I havent seen much talk about brooklyn offering them. Do you know off hand if they give full rides plus stipends (cardozo's is 5k)??

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:02 pm

itsfine wrote:since you mentioned scholarships just now, I know cardozo offers stipends to qualified candidates, but I havent seen much talk about brooklyn offering them. Do you know off hand if they give full rides plus stipends (cardozo's is 5k)??

yes-i have a full+stipend, i believe bls gives up to 10K.

bludvl_prelaw

Postby bludvl_prelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:29 pm

dreman510 wrote:

1. I believe you can request where you want to live, although im not 100% sure, since I live off campus. However, every 1L I know that wanted housing in Feil got it. Im sure you can request anyway, especially as a negotiating tool.

Stupid question: you mean 35K per year, right?

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:32 pm

bludvl_prelaw wrote:
dreman510 wrote:

Stupid question: you mean 35K per year, right?

ill take this one....
yeah he def. meant that.

ligirl

Postby ligirl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Just got in today.. if you don't live on campus, what areas would you recommend looking for apartments? Also my stats are 162/3.75 any scholly?

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:48 am

ligirl wrote:Just got in today.. if you don't live on campus, what areas would you recommend looking for apartments? Also my stats are 162/3.75 any scholly?

You will prob get some scholly-it depends on some of your softs.
In terms of people that live off campus, I know some people live in Park Slope/Cobble Hill/Prospect Park Area. There are others who live in the Village or Lower East Side. Even if you want to live on the Upper West Side-its about 25 minutes away.

lawschool10124

Postby lawschool10124 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 am

Found out I got in last week, but no word on scholly yet...

How far of a gap was there for you, between your acceptance letter and your scholly letter? Do I have to wait until post-FAFSA submission?

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:13 pm

lawschool10124 wrote:Found out I got in last week, but no word on scholly yet...

How far of a gap was there for you, between your acceptance letter and your scholly letter? Do I have to wait until post-FAFSA submission?

It has nothing to do with FAFSA-I believe they send scholly info to everyone in mid-March

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:22 pm

How hard is it to keep scholarships at BLS/are there requirements for yours? Have you heard about anyone losing theirs?

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:27 pm

wakefield wrote:How hard is it to keep scholarships at BLS/are there requirements for yours? Have you heard about anyone losing theirs?

Most people have a top-40% requirement, which can be quite difficult, as some people say that they stack people with scholarships all in the same section. However, I havent found that to be the case, since I know plenty people with scholly in other sections. Nonetheless, its impossible to predict your grades.
I have heard of people losing their grades, but thats in any school...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”