Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dreman510

Re: Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions...

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Guys, please dont turn this thread into another debate about the cons of a below T30 school. This thread is for people with genuine questions about BLS...

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:42 pm

chewdak wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Sorry friend.. I'll give you the wig above Touro and maybe even pace.. But the hof is right there with ya.

Since OS enjoys this anyway.... Here are the rankings in the real world:

HYS>T6>T10>T14>T20 (and Fordham GW, etc)>All other ABA Approved Law schools>Katherine Gibbs paralegal certificate>McDonald's Manager>Cooley>McDonald's associate>Non-ABA Approved LS>Graduate from NY Area Non T6LS with anythin less than half scholarship.

Thats it.

Do you have a more detailed ranking list?

OP, congratulations on winning a great scholarship.

Thanks!

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:44 pm

dreman510 wrote:Guys, please dont turn this thread into another debate about the cons of a below T30 school. This thread is for people with genuine questions about BLS...

Ok:

1) How does the negative school image, i.e. distortion of USNWR Rankings and employment data affect students, if at all?

2) How are the job prospects for the lower 85% of the class?

3) Would you attend BLS without a significant scholarship?

4) Have you yet found summer employment?

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:46 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
dreman510 wrote:Guys, please dont turn this thread into another debate about the cons of a below T30 school. This thread is for people with genuine questions about BLS...

Ok:

1) How does the negative school image, i.e. distortion of USNWR Rankings and employment data affect students, if at all?
No one is significantly bothered by it, nor are the employers that I spoke to.

Above the median (30-45%), I know people working at the DA, and at mid and small size firms.

Define significant

I have not begun to look, I am a 1L.

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Right on.
As far as the 1L education, what are the cons and pros of going to the BLS vs elsewhere?

hank44

Postby hank44 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:48 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

Ok:

This will come off as combatative, although that isn't my intention...

Where do you/will you go to law school? Why did you pick that school? Do you REALLY think your job prospects will be so much greater than the OP, or anyone that goes to BLS?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:49 pm

chewdak wrote:

Right on.
As far as the 1L education, what are the cons and pros of going to the BLS vs elsewhere?

con of BLS vs elsewhere in the top 30?

:lol:

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:52 pm

chewdak wrote:

Right on.

In general, or vs similarly ranked schools?

hank44

Postby hank44 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:53 pm

paratactical wrote:
hank44 wrote:
This will come off as combatative, although that isn't my intention...

Where do you/will you go to law school? Why did you pick that school? Do you REALLY think your job prospects will be so much greater than the OP, or anyone that goes to BLS?

You must be new here.

If by that you mean I must not have gotten "reasonableman's" complete scholastic history...then yes, lol. I just think its fair to establish who is saying this stuff when, even in jest, the commments are meant to tease and insult the OP because hes at BLS

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:54 pm

hank44 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Sorry friend.. I'll give you the wig above Touro and maybe even pace.. But the hof is right there with ya.

Since OS enjoys this anyway.... Here are the rankings in the real world:

HYS>T6>T10>T14>T20 (and Fordham GW, etc)>All other ABA Approved Law schools>Katherine Gibbs paralegal certificate>McDonald's Manager>Cooley>McDonald's associate>Non-ABA Approved LS>Graduate from NY Area Non T6LS with anythin less than half scholarship.

Thats it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Mayor McCheese was guilty of sending inflated numbers to USNews?

Brooklyn is the master at cooking the books.. Rankings, graduate earnings, employment rates... you name it..

Its absurd to compare tuoro with BLS, St Johns, even Hofstra. You don't have to be a lawyer, or even a law school applicant, to have an accurate picture of what schools are more reputable than others. Anyone in New York City and the surrounding areas knows that these schools are better than Tuoro, and more, better than the average law schoo. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to support this, but I won't site all the examples I've seen where people graduate from these schools and get find jobs, some making close to or over 100k and others securing more than respectable clerkships, ADA posts, or other public jobs. Putting down any school outside the top 30 is not only a waste of time (because people will keep attending other schools, keep getting decent and good jobs, and keep telling people about their school/job that followed). Its one thing to warn people of the debt theyll take on for a less than amazing school, but if someone is bright enough to attend, and wants to attend, they should go.

I bet it at least helps your cause... :lol:

hank44

Postby hank44 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:56 pm

Thats it.[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Mayor McCheese was guilty of sending inflated numbers to USNews?[/quote]

Brooklyn is the master at cooking the books.. Rankings, graduate earnings, employment rates... you name it..[/quote]

Its absurd to compare tuoro with BLS, St Johns, even Hofstra. You don't have to be a lawyer, or even a law school applicant, to have an accurate picture of what schools are more reputable than others. Anyone in New York City and the surrounding areas knows that these schools are better than Tuoro, and more, better than the average law schoo. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to support this, but I won't site all the examples I've seen where people graduate from these schools and get find jobs, some making close to or over 100k and others securing more than respectable clerkships, ADA posts, or other public jobs. Putting down any school outside the top 30 is not only a waste of time (because people will keep attending other schools, keep getting decent and good jobs, and keep telling people about their school/job that followed). Its one thing to warn people of the debt theyll take on for a less than amazing school, but if someone is bright enough to attend, and wants to attend, they should go.[/quote]

I bet it at least helps your cause... :lol:[/quote]

no

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Also, off-topic, you clearly have excellent interpersonal skills.
If someone keeps pestering you without any apparent reason, what do you do?

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:05 pm

dreman510 wrote:
chewdak wrote:

Right on.

Similar and above.

I am wondering how important having recognized faculty is for your 1L education.
I read that BLS and Cardozo both have well regarded professors. So disregarding the prestige, what would you learn at the NYU have that you could not get at the BLS?

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:08 pm

chewdak wrote:
dreman510 wrote:
chewdak wrote:

Right on.

Similar and above.

I am wondering how important having recognized faculty is for your 1L education.
I read that BLS and Cardozo both have well regarded professors. So disregarding the prestige, what would you learn at the NYU have that you could not get at the BLS?

I dont think the education is really that different. Most law schools have distinguished professors, and most of them graduated from HYS. The 1L education is similar in just about every school, except some allow an elective or two during the first year...

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:09 pm

Guys, please respect the OP, and the intent of this thread. I promised to keep an eye on it, but I have to study, sleep, and eat at some point during the day.

We all know the realities of attending a NYC T2. That horse is deader than my LSAT score. OP has a full scholarship plus stipend, and he made (IMO) a defensible choice in taking it.

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:11 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Guys, please respect the OP, and the intent of this thread. I promised to keep an eye on it, but I have to study, sleep, and eat at some point during the day.

We all know the realities of attending a NYC T2. That horse is deader than my LSAT score. OP has a full scholarship plus stipend, and he made (IMO) a defensible choice in taking it.

Thank you Opera. As I said, I have no delusions about BLS, I am just trying to provide feedback to those interested, as I received a lot of amazing advice from TLS last year...

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:26 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Guys, please respect the OP, and the intent of this thread. I promised to keep an eye on it, but I have to study, sleep, and eat at some point during the day.

lulz.....people take their e-selves so seriously.......

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:37 pm

dreman510 wrote:I dont think the education is really that different. Most law schools have distinguished professors, and most of them graduated from HYS. The 1L education is similar in just about every school, except some allow an elective or two during the first year...

Thank you. I wish I had more of a choice regarding schools.
I got a waiver from Cardozo and liked what I read about it online.
What about significantly below?
(Here in Minnesota, where I will likely stay, it's either #20ish UMN or schools around ##130-150. One of them, William Mitchell seems well regarded locally.
I spoke to some UMN Law alums who hated their school experience but taught at WM and thought it was a fine school.)
So, if learning and ideas are important for one, how would the educational experience and opportunities compare between your school and some 100 and below ranked school you might know about?

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:41 pm

chewdak wrote:
dreman510 wrote:I dont think the education is really that different. Most law schools have distinguished professors, and most of them graduated from HYS. The 1L education is similar in just about every school, except some allow an elective or two during the first year...

Thank you. I wish I had more of a choice regarding schools.
I got a waiver from Cardozo and liked what I read about it online.
What about significantly below?
(Here in Minnesota, where I will likely stay, it's either #20ish UMN or schools around ##130-150. One of them, William Mitchell seems well regarded locally.
I spoke to some UMN Law alums who hated their school experience but taught at WM and thought it was a fine school.)
So, if learning and ideas are important for one, how would the educational experience and opportunities compare between your school and some 100 and below ranked school you might know about?

Well, if you are deciding between BLS and T2/3/4 schools in Minnesota, its all about where you want to work. BLS is a regional, and WM certainly is. You would need to speak to people who went to WM and the like, but I believe the education would be pretty similar.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:48 pm

OP, with numbers to warrant a full scholly+stipend from BLS (which I would also be rather tempted to take, if offered) which schools did you turn down?

I know this is kind of personal, but I hope you don't mind.

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Always Credited wrote:OP, with numbers to warrant a full scholly+stipend from BLS (which I would also be rather tempted to take, if offered) which schools did you turn down?

Cardozo with significant scholly, Miami with significant scholly, and GMU with a bit. I did not pursue Emory, Fordham or BU waitlists, and I think I wouldve gotten into one, as I already had the scholarship I wanted.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:04 pm

I feel like i should keep a copy of my resume at the ready to paste into threads... Why is it that I'm the only one who gets a credential check every 8 days or so? :lol:

TTT-Grad.

Passed NY and CT Bar July 08.

Midlaw NYC area. 75 Attys or so in my firm.

Practice area: Commercial litigation, products liability, toxic tort, civil rights, general litigation and construction defects.

Will OS and/or Paratactical (coolest girls on TLS) please verify the authenticity of my circum vitae?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:10 pm

dreman510 wrote:
Always Credited wrote:OP, with numbers to warrant a full scholly+stipend from BLS (which I would also be rather tempted to take, if offered) which schools did you turn down?

Cardozo with significant scholly, Miami with significant scholly, and GMU with a bit. I did not pursue Emory, Fordham or BU waitlists, and I think I wouldve gotten into one, as I already had the scholarship I wanted.

I will say op... BLS with a full ride is something that I would not turn down. Congrats on that.. You will come to learn that what I am saying is true, but that frankly, its not a bad thing.. There are the elite law schools and the regular law schools and then there are the real fringe shit shops.. As long as you go to a good LS, work hard, keep debt down (not a problem for you), and really put in the time, a nice middle class life is there for the taking.

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:13 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I feel like i should keep a copy of my resume at the ready to paste into threads... Why is it that I'm the only one who gets a credential check every 8 days or so? :lol:

TTT-Grad.

Passed NY and CT Bar July 08.

Midlaw NYC area. 75 Attys or so in my firm.

Practice area: Commercial litigation, products liability, toxic tort, civil rights, general litigation and construction defects.

Will OS and/or Paratactical (coolest girls on TLS) please verify the authenticity of my circum vitae?

What is your theory of justice?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”