Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bmwhype2

New

Re: Brooklyn 1L Taking Questions...

Post by bmwhype2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 am

nealric wrote:
So how many firms are on the BLS OCI list this year?
NALP shows about 30.
Where do you find that info on the NALP website? I clicked around and couldnt find it.

nevermind. found it.
Last edited by bmwhype2 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:15 am

Stringer6 wrote:guys, he's on the penthouse level!
lol

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 am

MrKappus wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:guys, he's on the penthouse level!
lol
I'm not sure which one of you two is cooler!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:02 am

I find it strange that a handful of ultra-active posters on a few forums seem to reserve such special ire for Brooklyn Law School. Comparing it to other similarly situated schools, I can't see what's particularly bad about BLS as opposed to Cardozo, Hofstra, NYLS, St. John's etc. In fact, having spoken with students from schools like NYLS and St. Johns and compared notes, BLS tends to have far more employers at OCI, and if you look at biglaw websites, you'll find far greater numbers from BLS than from any of these other schools including the higher-ranked Cardozo. I'd imagine the same is true of the state judiciary.

I don't see anything more deceptive or wrong about BLS's career stat manipulation than any other school's -- it seems to be done exactly the same way. I don't see anything particularly bad about its career services either -- every law student I've ever met has told me their career services office was worthless.

All that said, I wouldn't advise anyone to go in this economy without a hefty scholarship - there's too significant a risk of graduating unemployed or with a job that pays too low to handle your debt load. There's nothing particularly bad about BLS as a school, but it will never be able to adequately compete with Fordham, NYU and Columbia (and Harvard and Yale) for a shrinking NY job pool.

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:54 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:45 am

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Omg this is riveting. a clash of titans. Entirely serious. No sarcasm. I eagerly await the future.

But RM do you really think youre such a snowflake no one else can scrap? Obviously 98 percent can't but graduating ug in the recession class of 10 and having to scrap for my current position I'd now flatter myself to say I can scrap. Maybe not as well as you but still.
Absolutely not. I'm no special snowflake at all. I think that most people don't want to scrap. Its not pretty and when push comes to shove, most won't do it. Moreover, along with scraping, any success from a lower ranked school required a good deal of luck. This is something that cannot be counted on.

Further, much of what I did to assure myself having a career in the law occurred several years before I went to LS. Had I not started building contacts within the legal community years before attending LS (while in college), I would be in just as bad of shape as most of the other 2008 TTT grads I know. I'm not saying that most people can't scrap, I'm saying that most won't.

Lastly, BLS is sort of symbolic, because the school's administration embodies what is wrong with the TTT LS machine. Its one of the worst offenders, but that isn't to say that other LSs aren't equally culpable. Hofstra is a disaster of a LS. I did my bar study there. I've never met more ill prepared students in my life. Nor did I think I would find more kids with no jobs to look forward to after the bar exam than I would at my own TTT, but Hofstra managed to have more kids without jobs than even my disgraceful TTT. NYLS and SJU also deserve special negative attention, believe me. Its not just BLS.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:44 am

brooklyn is not TTT.

as far as i know, brooklyn, cardozo, and st. johns are peers.

hofstra and nyls are considered to be in a "lower" category.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Stringer6 wrote:brooklyn is not TTT.

as far as i know, brooklyn, cardozo, and st. johns are peers.

hofstra and nyls are considered to be in a "lower" category.

And what you know is based on what exactly?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:59 pm

tier 2 law schools are 50-100 in US News ranking. by that definition, brooklyn is not a "Third Tier Toilet."

what i know is based on reading and conversations that i've had with lawyers and people in law school.

how's the penthouse level?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
tier 2 law schools are 50-100 in US News ranking. by that definition, brooklyn is not a "Third Tier Toilet."

what i know is based on reading and conversations that i've had with lawyers and people in law school.

how's the penthouse level?

Eh. Not great today.. Its a shitty day so the view isn't great..

So you're basing that on the USNEWS and conversations with people "in the law school." Good stuff..

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:13 pm

So you're basing that on the USNEWS and conversations with people "in the law school." Good stuff..

give it a second read.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Stringer6 wrote:

give it a second read.

My friend, I wish you all the luck in the world.

MadJester509

New

Post by MadJester509 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 pm

I have seen many people comparing BLS, Cardozo, St. Johns and Hofstra... On what basis are you making these comparisons? Maybe I am quite confused but I always thought they followed
Cardozo --> BLS --> STJ -- Hofstra quite clearly with quite significant jumps between each school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deakon10

New

Post by deakon10 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:43 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:because he is pathetic?
I'm sorry if I regard BLS as the worst value in the nation for its grads as compared to any other school and believe the place should be shut down. I had no idea that makes me "pathetic."
Worst value in the nation compared to any other school? lol. You're saying there are T3 or T4 schools that don't have less value? The fact my cousin graduated from BLS and made 140k after two years, I find that hard to believe.

You are not helping anyone by repeatedly putting down BLS... your opinion has obviously been clearly said. Now you are just being a troll. This thread is clearly for people who are interested in BLS and want to ask the OP questions. I think by now everyone realizes that graduating from BLS in nyc isn't going to be as great as graduating Fordham or T14. But I would hardly call BLS (esp with scholly) a "place to be shut down". You just have to work harder and get a top 20/30% rank.

deakon10

New

Post by deakon10 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:45 pm

To the questions of st johns vs. hofstra vs. bls vs. vs. cordozo... I don't think any of these are *significantly* better than the other in terms of anything. It should come down to your personal preference, and who gives you more money. If money comes equal, then think about place, OCI lists, and what you would prefer in terms of prestige. But in NYC, Fordham/nyu/columbia reign supreme (along with T14), and then comes everything else (including regional schools like BLS, SJU and Hofstra)

Hypo, Esq.

New

Post by Hypo, Esq. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:45 am

you are not getting anywhere in the top 20-30% from BLS unless you are on journal/mootcourt/ clerkship, etc. Trust me. I've been there. Not to mention the career center.

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Can any current Brooklyn students or recent alumni PM me? I have some specific questions I'd like to ask in private. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AssociateX

New

Post by AssociateX » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:02 am

I'm here if anyone has questions..

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:13 pm

AssociateX wrote:I'm here if anyone has questions..
I'm going to start at BLS in the fall. I am considering purchasing a bike to get around. Do a lot of students bike to and from places?

AssociateX

New

Post by AssociateX » Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 am

jjlaw wrote:
I'm going to start at BLS in the fall. I am considering purchasing a bike to get around. Do a lot of students bike to and from places?
Not really, I dont consider that area of Brooklyn (downtown) to be very bike friendly.

Besides what do you want a bike for? The subway and your 2 legs get you where you want to go 90% of the time anyway. :D

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sun May 01, 2011 1:54 am

AssociateX wrote:
jjlaw wrote:
Not really, I dont consider that area of Brooklyn (downtown) to be very bike friendly.

Besides what do you want a bike for? The subway and your 2 legs get you where you want to go 90% of the time anyway. :D
True... The 4 and 5 and the 2 and 3 run right thru there... No need for anything else...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 pm

AssociateX wrote:
jjlaw wrote:

Thanks! I used to live in Park Slope, and I just always admired people who could ride their bikes to different neighborhoods. But I guess I probably won't have much time to go outside of Brooklyn Heights once classes start.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon May 02, 2011 10:34 pm

jjlaw wrote:
AssociateX wrote:
jjlaw wrote:

Thanks! I used to live in Park Slope, and I just always admired people who could ride their bikes to different neighborhoods. But I guess I probably won't have much time to go outside of Brooklyn Heights once classes start.
Yes, because if you don't finish in the top 6% of the class, you're likely to earning 45k as a plaintiff's personal injury lawyer... So if I were you, i'd just move into the library (not that arbitrary grading isn't likely to derail your best efforts anyway).

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 pm

RM...honestly dude, what are you still doing in this thread? they got your point already, troll else where

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon May 02, 2011 11:20 pm

HyeMart wrote:RM...honestly dude, what are you still doing in this thread? they got your point already, troll else where
Nah... I like it here...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”