Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kings84_wr

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Yeah Ive heard Evidence is pretty intense, I may wait a bit to take it. What are your thoughts on Scott? Im interested in taking Crim Pro too, but I havnt heard much about him.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Scott had a few problems in our Crim Law class: he would kind of ramble when he asked a question to the point you had no idea what he just asked you, there were no practice exams really since he was new (not his fault obviously), and his curriculum was a bit odd compared to the rest of the Crim Law professors.

Would I take him again? Probably. He was a nice enough person and he did cold call which is nice to keep you awake in class. I also heard he was really quick on replying to emails even at the most bizarre hours. For what it's worth, he's heavy into policy. Not as heavy as, say, Susan Williams is in Property, but he definitely focuses on it.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:50 pm

When did you guys learn your schedule for the fall? Also, I think I saw one of you post that you get to choose which prof you have for a particular 1L class - which class is it and who do you recommend? Thanks!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Halibut6 wrote:When did you guys learn your schedule for the fall? Also, I think I saw one of you post that you get to choose which prof you have for a particular 1L class - which class is it and who do you recommend? Thanks!
We got to choose our Torts professor in 1L fall and Property in 1L spring. For Torts, none of the professors have a huge lead over the others, but I've heard good things about Brown. Gjerdingen is a nice guy, but he's not the best choice unless you absolutely love lecture and not being cold called. His final also is closed book FWIW.

Edit: The fall schedule of classes was posted last night. Now, we're all playing fantasy baseball with our schedules and hoping for the best when they call us down to register.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:When did you guys learn your schedule for the fall? Also, I think I saw one of you post that you get to choose which prof you have for a particular 1L class - which class is it and who do you recommend? Thanks!
We got to choose our Torts professor in 1L fall and Property in 1L spring. For Torts, none of the professors have a huge lead over the others, but I've heard good things about Brown. Gjerdingen is a nice guy, but he's not the best choice unless you absolutely love lecture and not being cold called. His final also is closed book FWIW.

Edit: The fall schedule of classes was posted last night. Now, we're all playing fantasy baseball with our schedules and hoping for the best when they call us down to register.
Not having been in law school before, I obviously don't know for sure, but I think one of my comparative strengths is my memory, so I think having closed-book exams would probably benefit me with a curve. IDK though. Thanks for the response!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 pm

What about property, then? Any leading contenders there?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Last year it was Torts for fall and Property for spring.

If its Torts again, I know nothing about Madeira he didn't teach last eyar.

Gjerdy has been mixed, my friends that took him loved him, he doesn't really cold call and I hear he is interesting. However as seen a few pages back there is some negative veiw of him as well.

Heidt is pretty intense. I will say I learned a lot from the guy, but he also required a lot of work in comparison to other classes. He also cold calls pretty good. He is good at preparing for the exam and teaching torts. I like the guy overall though.

Brown is an interesting one. I don't know much about him but from what I heard their torts class was totally different then the other two. They didn't cover Intentional torts and a few other pretty major areas. They focused a lot on policy and the government and took a more broad view of torts in general. I don't know a whole lot more on him, but I did have a few disgruntled friends in his class. He also cold calls.

We just got the schedule yesterday and Im not sure when we sign up since I failed to go to the meetings lol, but I assume its coming soon.

If any of you 0l's are super gunnery and wanna see the possible schedules its available at
http://apps.law.indiana.edu/degrees/cou ... 10fall.pdf

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
Mulliganstew wrote:

Not having been in law school before, I obviously don't know for sure, but I think one of my comparative strengths is my memory, so I think having closed-book exams would probably benefit me with a curve. IDK though. Thanks for the response!
Heidt is closed book and very good for memory cuz there is tons of stuff on the exam. I think memory was a major part of my success so far to be honest

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 pm

kings84_wr wrote:If any of you 0l's are super gunnery and wanna see the possible schedules its available at
I don't think I would call myself "super gunnery,'' but I've already looked at it extensively. That's actually what prompted my questions here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:If any of you 0l's are super gunnery and wanna see the possible schedules its available at
I don't think I would call myself "super gunnery,'' but I've already looked at it extensively. That's actually what prompted my questions here.
Haha I was just kidding for sure, I definitely read through different prof's syllabus before i knew my class schedule.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 pm

I already created my preferred schedule (rounded to the nearest 15-minute interval).

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I already created my preferred schedule (rounded to the nearest 15-minute interval).

Ha! Soon-to-be-gunner!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I already created my preferred schedule (rounded to the nearest 15-minute interval).

That's nice. You'll probably end up with LRW at 8:45 in the morning like I did.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:46 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:

That's nice. You'll probably end up with LRW at 8:45 in the morning like I did.
They don't have it that early next semester. 9:50 is the first LRW section.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:53 pm

I had it at 10:50 last semester :) those were the good days

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:20 am

Ugh. Of course they'd take away the torture of LRW at 8:45 AFTER I have it for a year straight.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:38 am

It's hell every time you have it. I don't care when on the clock it occurs.

...the shrieking...

Oh yeah, town hall meeting with Robel today, Parrish is gone! I think he was the only LRW teacher I heard a damn good thing about. He got himself a non-LRW job at some law school I have never heard of. Apparently, any non-LRW job is worth it.

I also have no idea what I am taking next year. I want to take evidence, civproII, and trial advocacy, and I really want to see if that awesome new IP teacher teaches the "survey" on IP. I have little interest in IP, at least in comparison to all these engineers, but I would like to get a survey of IP without ridiculous competition.

I think in property we hit like... 4 cases that dealt with IP. My lord did we get into some weird stuff... something explaining how some special cell was made, or something, something, something. They gave the dude the patent, that's about all I remember.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 am

Spoonmanners wrote:It's hell every time you have it. I don't care when on the clock it occurs.

...the shrieking...

Oh yeah, town hall meeting with Robel today, Parrish is gone! I think he was the only LRW teacher I heard a damn good thing about. He got himself a non-LRW job at some law school I have never heard of. Apparently, any non-LRW job is worth it.

I also have no idea what I am taking next year. I want to take evidence, civproII, and trial advocacy, and I really want to see if that awesome new IP teacher teaches the "survey" on IP. I have little interest in IP, at least in comparison to all these engineers, but I would like to get a survey of IP without ridiculous competition.

I think in property we hit like... 4 cases that dealt with IP. My lord did we get into some weird stuff... something explaining how some special cell was made, or something, something, something. They gave the dude the patent, that's about all I remember.
we covered that case in torts and Krishnan property lol Gotta love the UC Regents taking ownership of someones gene line

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 am

On second thought, it looks like Professor Bethel is coming back next spring for Evidence! I'm definitely holding out for that. Sadly, I'll have to find something to take the place of evidence now.

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:On second thought, it looks like Professor Bethel is coming back next spring for Evidence! I'm definitely holding out for that. Sadly, I'll have to find something to take the place of evidence now.
Epic!

I'm so absolutely there too. Love Bethel so much.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:36 pm

What's so sweet about Bethel?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Halibut6 wrote:What's so sweet about Bethel?
See all of my quotes from law school in the thread of the same name. The man is a storyteller and an amazing professor on top of it.

Yellowcard

New

Post by Yellowcard » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:04 pm

1. Does Indiana do rolling admissions?
2. If Indiana does not do rolling admissions, does anyone know when the next batch of acceptances/rejections/wait lists is coming?

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Yellowcard wrote:1. Does Indiana do rolling admissions?
2. If Indiana does not do rolling admissions, does anyone know when the next batch of acceptances/rejections/wait lists is coming?
1. I am pretty sure they do. They don't have an actual application deadline.
2. No idea. I got my acceptance last year around early to mid March I think. The deadline to accept was April 1st or something like that. I would assume another wave of decisions will come after that. Even if they do not do rolling admissions, they need to make sure they don't give out too much scholarship money and offers and such, not knowing the percentage who will accept.

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:What's so sweet about Bethel?
See all of my quotes from law school in the thread of the same name. The man is a storyteller and an amazing professor on top of it.
I'm not seeing him in my tentative spring 2011 schedule. Where'd you see this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”