Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Spoonmanners

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:19 pm

superflush wrote:
1. Yes, I know.
2. Well, I'd still want some information, and at least an open dialogue.

I think that particularly for Indiana, some of us are trying to get a good grasp of the reach that the school has. Most students go out-of-state (from their #s), but from what was being said earlier, it looks like that has been beaten down a bit. I definitely want to have a good understanding of what the current situation is.

Sorry. Wasn't trying to sound like a prick, but I've heard some ridiculous stuff from some 0L's, who clearly haven't bothered to look into the situation.

For 3L's, not a lot that is good. Our employment statistics were very poor last time I heard them. There is still plenty of time, but most places have been laying off employees, not hiring them.

From what I can tell, most below the top 1/3rd are having issues getting employment, but hopefully some firms start hiring.

The good thing about getting students from out of state is that a lot of them will move back, which increases where the grads go. I think it's a newer thing, but obviously, Indiana is the most popular destination. Their numbers from a few years ago were more impressive than I thought they would be, and had a good number across the country. Hard to say how those numbers have been changing or will end up once the market picks back up.

Indy isn't bad. I could live with it, but it's not "Plan A" by any means. Places are cheap, there is no traffic, and I'm sure the competition for jobs isn't too bad. I'd recommend checking it out if you can. It's like a big town or a small city, or whatever they say.

Transfer apps, assuming you don't do an ED, can go out when you get your grades. Turn around is quick (a few weeks). You need LOR's for most of them, which seems like it would be awkward (especially if you don't transfer). There are no waitlists, or getting dinged, or any garbage like that. I think it is appealing just to see what your options are.

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:Their numbers from a few years ago were more impressive than I thought they would be, and had a good number across the country. Hard to say how those numbers have been changing or will end up once the market picks back up.

Indy isn't bad. I could live with it, but it's not "Plan A" by any means. Places are cheap, there is no traffic, and I'm sure the competition for jobs isn't too bad. I'd recommend checking it out if you can. It's like a big town or a small city, or whatever they say.

Transfer apps, assuming you don't do an ED, can go out when you get your grades. Turn around is quick (a few weeks). You need LOR's for most of them, which seems like it would be awkward (especially if you don't transfer). There are no waitlists, or getting dinged, or any garbage like that. I think it is appealing just to see what your options are.

This is specifically what I would like to get a handle on. If 60% of the class used to go out-of-state, I'd like to know how many are going out-of-state in this down market.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:29 pm

Yeah as far as transfer app's, definitely don't go in planning on transferring (its obvious you aren't but for anyone else reading). IF you are really interested, there is a thread by PK that gives tons of info.

That being said, transfer employment stats are extremely hard to gage.

I feel like a traitor considering transferring haha, I do love IU, and everyone here is awesome.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:30 pm

superflush wrote:
This is specifically what I would like to get a handle on. If 60% of the class used to go out-of-state, I'd like to know how many are going out-of-state in this down market.

Unfortunately the numbers just arent really available now. I know the chicago OCI numbers this year were really bad, I think they were mentioned back a few pages, but that is hte most competitive midwestern market.

I would bet most the class still does go out of state, just based on the fact that most of us are from out of state.

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:53 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
superflush wrote:

Unfortunately the numbers just arent really available now. I know the chicago OCI numbers this year were really bad, I think they were mentioned back a few pages, but that is hte most competitive midwestern market.

I would bet most the class still does go out of state, just based on the fact that most of us are from out of state.

I thought I read on here that the Chicago event was cancelled this year. .. is that the Chicago off-campus interviewing that you're referring to?

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:58 pm

superflush wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:
superflush wrote:

I thought I read on here that the Chicago event was cancelled this year. .. is that the Chicago off-campus interviewing that you're referring to?

I think two firms showed up from chicago at OCI, i could be wrong and it could be none at all. that would be worse then I even thought.

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:10 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I think two firms showed up from chicago at OCI, i could be wrong and it could be none at all. that would be worse then I even thought.

Don't they also usually have 3 off-campus interview sessions: Chicago, DC, & Louisville?

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I think two firms showed up from chicago at OCI, i could be wrong and it could be none at all. that would be worse then I even thought.

That's what I heard from a 3L trying to get to Chicago. Major cities have really just cut back on OCI, and we got nothing.

I wish firms/law schools wouldn't stop being such prestige whores so we could actually find out what's going on. Firms won't admit they are cutting back, and schools won't admit there is no one showing up.

I guess we won't know for sure how it goes until next year.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Do you guys have any choices in class/section selection in 1L? Or is it like some schools where you just get basically randomly selected to be in certain sections?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:48 pm

You are allowed to choose your Torts professor in the Fall and your Property professor in the Spring.

Unjust Enrichment

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:59 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Do you guys have any choices in class/section selection in 1L? Or is it like some schools where you just get basically randomly selected to be in certain sections?

At least for our class, IU doesn't really have sections. Whoever you're in LRW with, you'll be in all classes with them, but there's a bunch of mixing up among the students also. You don't get the same large group from class to class.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:43 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Do you guys have any choices in class/section selection in 1L? Or is it like some schools where you just get basically randomly selected to be in certain sections?

At least for our class, IU doesn't really have sections. Whoever you're in LRW with, you'll be in all classes with them, but there's a bunch of mixing up among the students also. You don't get the same large group from class to class.

My LRW class is really split up this semester, whereas last semester we all had the same classes. Its nice not having sections and getting more diversity in classmates.

Also as Bankhead said Property and torts were picked, however last year they got to pick Con law, so it can vary from year to year.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:55 pm

and now there is officially no 3.2 scholly requirement for us 1l's either.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:

This isn't true.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:07 pm

So there's no choosing which classes you are in? As in, if I wanted Fridays off or didn't want class til 10, I would have no say in that?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Halibut6 wrote:So there's no choosing which classes you are in? As in, if I wanted Fridays off or didn't want class til 10, I would have no say in that?

No say whatsoever. Not in the first year.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:46 pm

I really don't htink there are a whole lot of law schools that let you pick. and thanksfully my earliest class is at 10 this semester and most days its 11.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Bankhead wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:So there's no choosing which classes you are in? As in, if I wanted Fridays off or didn't want class til 10, I would have no say in that?

Is there kind of a default schedule ?? (timeframe-wise)

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:18 pm

superflush wrote:
Bankhead wrote:

Is there kind of a default schedule ?? (timeframe-wise)

I can give you my schedule from last semester and now, I dont think they make up the schedule exactly until next summer but in general its something like this:

Contracts T-W-Th-F 1:15-2:10 (4 units)
Torts M-T-W-Th 3:25-4:20 (4 units)
Crim Law M-T-W 10:50- 11:45 (3 units)
CIv Pro M-T- W 9:05- 10:20 (4 units)
LRW Th-Fr 10:50- 11:45 ( or however the hell long goodman would go on for) (2 units)

Con Law T-W-Th-F 10:55-11:50 (4 units)
Property T-W- TH 2:20- 3:45 (4 units)
Legal Prof 12:55- 2:10 (4 units)
LRW Th-Fr 9:50-10:45 (2 units)

Mulliganstew

Postby Mulliganstew » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:39 am

kings84_wr wrote:and now there is officially no 3.2 scholly requirement for us 1l's either.

While I cleared the 3.2 hurdle with room to spare, getting this email made my day.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:30 am

Another opportunity for interaction between students is created by IU Law’s practice of splitting first-year students into five or seven person groups that are mentored by 2Ls and 3Ls. This practice provides both academic and peer support for students, and helps to ease the burden of the doubtlessly rigorous 1L workload.

This is from the IU article on TLS. Can someone talk about your experience with this?

Mulliganstew

Postby Mulliganstew » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:41 am

Halibut6 wrote:
Another opportunity for interaction between students is created by IU Law’s practice of splitting first-year students into five or seven person groups that are mentored by 2Ls and 3Ls. This practice provides both academic and peer support for students, and helps to ease the burden of the doubtlessly rigorous 1L workload.

This is from the IU article on TLS. Can someone talk about your experience with this?

That would be our practice groups. It's been EXTREMELY helpful as you almost immediately have a support group from the very first day. The first semester, they're there to be just a social support base, but you'll be doing multiple projects with your practice group in Legal Professions in spring semester.

While, admittedly, it really depends on who is in your practice group, the concept has worked out really well so far for me. It's probably my single favorite thing about IUB so far.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:32 pm

While I've enjoyed the practice group model, some of my friends have not. It really depends on who your practice group leader is and who is in your practice group. Some practice groups I've heard have absolutely no social chemistry or ability to work together productively.

Also of controversy is the fact that in one of your classes (Legal Profession) much of your grade depends on group projects. Therefore, you might end up with a lesser GPA and class rank just because your randomly assigned practice group happens to be a bunch of slackers...

Mulliganstew

Postby Mulliganstew » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Keep in mind, you also get to vote on how many points individual work effort is worth in those projects.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:10 am

Hopefully a current student can weigh in for me. I'm trying to decide which hotel to stay at during Spring Law Day. It seems that the Courtyard (by Marriott) is both relatively close and on the Bloomington-Indy shuttle line. Is there another place that I should consider before booking there?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”