Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Boshkoff is now up as well

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby scionb4 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:05 am

What is the lowest admitted LSAT score you've heard about?

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:27 am

kings84_wr wrote:Boshkoff is now up as well


Come on! Even Boshkoff, who I will ballpark his age at around 320, managed to finish grading before Ochoa?

I'm still short half my grades.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:33 am

scionb4 wrote:What is the lowest admitted LSAT score you've heard about?


I don't know what the lowest is, but I talked to a few people who were in the mid 150's (maybe even low 150's) but they had substantial GPA's. I think IU has been more GPA driven, so that would be the biggest thing. I find that funny considering how poor my GPA was.

I would also like to point out that applications are up significantly, so I don't know if this will still be true, but it seems like they like to take those with great GPA's (3.8+) and have been willing to eat a poor LSAT grade.

This also only constitutes like 3 people. LSAT and GPA rarely come up in conversation, and really only came up first semester when talking about applications (how was your cycle, where'd you look, etc.)

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:14 am

Spoonmanners wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Boshkoff is now up as well


Come on! Even Boshkoff, who I will ballpark his age at around 320, managed to finish grading before Ochoa?

I'm still short half my grades.


Did you get the email that said all the grades but Ochoa will bein by Saturday?
I feel bad for you guys haha.

and Boshkoff is old enough to have been a student fellow at Harvard when Justice Scalia was in law school.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:25 am

kings84_wr wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Boshkoff is now up as well


Come on! Even Boshkoff, who I will ballpark his age at around 320, managed to finish grading before Ochoa?

I'm still short half my grades.


Did you get the email that said all the grades but Ochoa will bein by Saturday?
I feel bad for you guys haha.

and Boshkoff is old enough to have been a student fellow at Harvard when Justice Scalia was in law school.


Yes, I did get that email telling me it will take almost two months to get my grade.

Boshkoff is old enough that he babysat Rehnquist's grandparents to supplement his social security income.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:39 am

I kinda just don't want Hoffs grade to get posted now. Im fine with my gpa as it is, and I have a feeling he is going to screw me over. I dont really remember the test at all, except for the tiger woods theme in it.

That seriously sucks though for you guys, I can't believe it takes that long.

and good luck to everyone in Hoffs classes

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 am

kings84_wr wrote:I kinda just don't want Hoffs grade to get posted now. Im fine with my gpa as it is, and I have a feeling he is going to screw me over. I dont really remember the test at all, except for the tiger woods theme in it.

That seriously sucks though for you guys, I can't believe it takes that long.

and good luck to everyone in Hoffs classes


GET FUCKED! Crim law had a Tiger Woods theme too? Panther? Was this one on steroids too?

If he was, he must have been real lazy. That was pretty much the Crimpro test, with the addition of a pretty good policy question.

In crimpro: Panthers wife beat him up, had drugs in the car, etc. then police followed him inside after Panther went inside. All and all, and I was extremely happy with how Hoffman's test ended up. I would enjoy the grade now, but I don't expect it until Saturday, as Fromm said.

And with Ochoa... I don't know. I like how that test turned out, but you never know. I really just want the grade. The wait is like the LSAT. I was willing to just take a low 160's and apply with that because I had no idea what I got. Luckily it didn't come to that, but the wait is so long I just can't care anymore. My money is on a B+.

User avatar
Unjust Enrichment
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:26 am

Spoonmanners wrote:GET FUCKED! Crim law had a Tiger Woods theme too? Panther? Was this one on steroids too?

If he was, he must have been real lazy. That was pretty much the Crimpro test, with the addition of a pretty good policy question.

In crimpro: Panthers wife beat him up, had drugs in the car, etc. then police followed him inside after Panther went inside. All and all, and I was extremely happy with how Hoffman's test ended up. I would enjoy the grade now, but I don't expect it until Saturday, as Fromm said.


Only one of the fact patterns had Tiger Woods (Forest Panther) in it...we were supposed to be assessing a stalking charge against someone who was potentially guilty of stalking him.

I took both of Hoffmann's exams and thought it covered the material well, and wasn't really lazy.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby danquayle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:00 am

This probably dates me too precisely for my likes, but my Contracts exam had a Borat theme...

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:Only one of the fact patterns had Tiger Woods (Forest Panther) in it...we were supposed to be assessing a stalking charge against someone who was potentially guilty of stalking him.

I took both of Hoffmann's exams and thought it covered the material well, and wasn't really lazy.


OK, that makes more sense. I know he had three classes at once, so I didn't know if he cut some corners.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Damn Hoffman is up.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:16 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Damn Hoffman is up.


Hope everyone likes their crimlaw grades.

According to two emails, the school is "hopeful" Ochoa and Hoffman's crimpro will go up early-ish next week.

I can hardly wait for half my grades... :?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Yeah i saw that, THat sucks for you guys. I dont get what can be taking so long

I ended up getting a B+ in HOffman, which is what I figured was gonna happen, but it took my gpa from awesome land to really good land, so i probably shouldnt complain.

The class distribution of grades is available in the other email the sent out, and really interesting.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Damn Hoffman is up.


Hope everyone likes their crimlaw grades.

According to two emails, the school is "hopeful" Ochoa and Hoffman's crimpro will go up early-ish next week.

I can hardly wait for half my grades... :?


Well I can understand the wait for Hoff. The guy taught 3 classes last semester. Not sure what the problem is with Och.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Good luck to those that are still waiting. It feels good to finally have some closure.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:55 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Yeah i saw that, THat sucks for you guys. I dont get what can be taking so long

I ended up getting a B+ in HOffman, which is what I figured was gonna happen, but it took my gpa from awesome land to really good land, so i probably shouldnt complain.

The class distribution of grades is available in the other email the sent out, and really interesting.


Any failures?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:54 pm

The lowest grade any of my profs have given out is a C+ and even then bohskoff (and likely hoff but his is not available yet) did not give anything lower then a B-.


Does anyone know if IU gives out book awards or top grade awards or anything. I know thats kind of a pretentious question, but I havnt really heard anything about it around.

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Mulliganstew » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Does anyone know if IU gives out completely mediocre awards? :lol:

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:Does anyone know if IU gives out completely mediocre awards? :lol:


haha i knew i was gonna come off pretty pretentious with that question.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Anyone ever heard of this place? I'm taking a look at it when I am in Bloomington. It's on Kirkwood a few blocks west of the LS. Anything you could tell me about the building or the area would be helpful.

http://www.deerparkmgmt.com/uptown_rent ... ents.shtml

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Anyone ever heard of this place? I'm taking a look at it when I am in Bloomington. It's on Kirkwood a few blocks west of the LS. Anything you could tell me about the building or the area would be helpful.

http://www.deerparkmgmt.com/uptown_rent ... ents.shtml


I thought about looking at it, but had someone tell me some negative things about it. I can't quite remember exactly, but something like the place is kinda small/old/expensive and the management isn't great (or something like that).

Actually, I think all the Deepark places are kind of overpriced. I think it wouldn't hurt to look at it, but there are better places.

Oh, and just check out some apartment ratings and google searches:

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/Indiana/bloomington-/deer-park-management.htm

They all kind of sum up what someone told me...

User avatar
Unjust Enrichment
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:58 pm

kings84_wr wrote:The lowest grade any of my profs have given out is a C+ and even then bohskoff (and likely hoff but his is not available yet) did not give anything lower then a B-.


Does anyone know if IU gives out book awards or top grade awards or anything. I know thats kind of a pretentious question, but I havnt really heard anything about it around.


Yeah, pretty sure each class has one of these. I know who got it for the summer start class (obviously am sworn to secrecy on who), so I would presume that every class does it.

There's also been a Scribe Award mentioned for LRW. Me and my low pass are likely not in the running.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Yeah I know a few people with high passes, and my Memo grade was not even close to hteir score, So im thinking I have no shot at the scribe award either. I think I must have just barely squeaked by with a P.

In the end it all shows up as a P for all of us anyways.

OG Loc
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby OG Loc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm looking at IU (15K/yr) and Minnesota (18K), wondering what anyone who might have considered both thinks of the two...without visiting either yet, I'm leaning towards Minnesota b/c they are actually in the city they feed into and pretty much dominate (easy networking opportunities and that), besides being ranked a little higher and being a little cheaper. But I did seriously look into attending IU last year before deferring my admissions, and it looked like a very nice blend of academics, quality of life, and job prospects. Any thoughts would be appreciated...




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests