Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 am

danquayle wrote:The problem is that IU is a good 1+ to the Indy airport, and the Indy itself is not a massive hub. It's probably easiest just to get to Chicago because you can just drive. It's about 4 hours, which is not a nice drive, but certainly doable for weekend trips.

You're going to have to fly with the other two, and given that I'd reckon its slightly easier to get into NY because there will be more flights headed that way. But either way, I don't think you could do the weekend trip thing with either. You're probably looking at a half to full day travel.

It will be especially hard if you plan on going the other way, from NY or Philly to Bloomington. Then you'd have to not only get ground transportation on the way there, but you'd probably need to a rental as well. There are shuttles, but I wouldn't rely on those.


This is pretty much right on. You can make it to the airport in an hour as long as you drive aggressively and you have a good route.
Chicago is a straight 4 hour drive that is pretty easy.
For NY and Philly: you'll have more flight options for NYC (airlines and airports), but it won't be cheaper or shorter than Philly. For Philly, its pretty much just US Air flight, but it is never too expensive. Your total time in transit may actually be better for PHL depending on how far you would live in NYC from JFK, LGA, or EWR.

If you are the one coming in to Bloomington, then that would mean that someone would have to pick you up from the airport (whereas if you were in Chicago, you could presumably drive directly to Bloomington). There is a shuttle, but it takes way too long and doesn't run often enough.
That pain when it comes to the airport would make me favor Chicago.
It is one thing for someone who goes to school here to drive to the airport (it only adds an hour to the trip, and airport security is always very quick, so I don't mind the tradeoff). But for people coming in to Bloomington, it will be tougher.

iowalum wrote:Future 1L here - I am looking for the best gym that's close to campus, I want to be able to work out between/after/before classes without having to drive anywhere. Suggestions?


The HPER is a 10 minute walk and is not what I would call "the best gym." The SRSC is a 25 minute walk (or 5 minute drive) and is the better of the 2 IU gyms.
There is definitely a private gym on College Ave, but that wouldn't be a quicker walk than the HPER.
I drive to the SRSC and just accept it as one the few places that I drive to in this town.

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iowalum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Anyone selling E&E's or 1L books? (will be doing Summer Start torts)

K Rock
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby K Rock » Thu May 03, 2012 12:25 pm

.
Last edited by K Rock on Mon May 07, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aquasalad
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby aquasalad » Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 pm

iowalum wrote:Future 1L here - I am looking for the best gym that's close to campus, I want to be able to work out between/after/before classes without having to drive anywhere. Suggestions?


The HPER is a 10 minute walk from the law school, has male/female locker rooms. Lifting/cardio in the basement. That's where I go.

User avatar
cedarseoul
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby cedarseoul » Mon May 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Here's a quick question...I'm wondering which cell phone provider is best in Bloomington? Verizon? AT&T? Is 4G data service accessible in Bloomington? I've been out of the country for awhile, so I don't know what's "standard" in the American Midwest...

Also: earlier in this thread, I read something about the IU bookstore selling affordable copies of Windows. I didn't see Windows listed in the online inventory, but I don't know whether they post everything they sell. Does anyone know whether I can obtain a cheap copy of Windows at one of the bookstores, or whether I should just order it online? (I'll be bringing my Macbook to law school.)

I suppose I could just e-mail the bookstore. But maybe someone here has insight?

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Mon May 07, 2012 10:31 pm

cedarseoul wrote:Here's a quick question...I'm wondering which cell phone provider is best in Bloomington? Verizon? AT&T? Is 4G data service accessible in Bloomington? I've been out of the country for awhile, so I don't know what's "standard" in the American Midwest...

Also: earlier in this thread, I read something about the IU bookstore selling affordable copies of Windows. I didn't see Windows listed in the online inventory, but I don't know whether they post everything they sell. Does anyone know whether I can obtain a cheap copy of Windows at one of the bookstores, or whether I should just order it online? (I'll be bringing my Macbook to law school.)

I suppose I could just e-mail the bookstore. But maybe someone here has insight?


Verizon has had LTE for a while now, and it works quite nicely.
AT&T has apparently just launched their LTE network in Bloomington: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/3/292275 ... ge-station
I don't know what Sprint has in Bloomington
T-Mobile obviously just has HSPA+

You can get the Windows copies at the tech part of the bookstore in the basement of the Union. You don't need Windows to run Examsoft, so I don't know why you would buy it.

c-monster
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby c-monster » Tue May 08, 2012 2:56 pm

cedarseoul wrote:Here's a quick question...I'm wondering which cell phone provider is best in Bloomington? Verizon? AT&T? Is 4G data service accessible in Bloomington? I've been out of the country for awhile, so I don't know what's "standard" in the American Midwest...

Also: earlier in this thread, I read something about the IU bookstore selling affordable copies of Windows. I didn't see Windows listed in the online inventory, but I don't know whether they post everything they sell. Does anyone know whether I can obtain a cheap copy of Windows at one of the bookstores, or whether I should just order it online? (I'll be bringing my Macbook to law school.)

I suppose I could just e-mail the bookstore. But maybe someone here has insight?


I personally user virgin mobile. $35 a month will get you unlimited text and 3G internet, and 300 mins a month talk time. Can upgrade to unlimited for a bit more. The catch is you have to buy their phone. For me (didn't care about 4G), it was by far the best deal.

JamesChapman23
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby JamesChapman23 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:21 pm

You would think 0Ls would have more substantive questions beyond cell phones and gyms. Like the school's 30 percent 3L employment rate or the 2L OCI slaughter.

Burne182
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Burne182 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:29 am

I just got in from WL status today and couldn't be more excited. As a second look acceptance, though, I'm not expecting any aid from the school. I would be turning down a full ride to the University of Louisville but I believe it's worth it.

Any thoughts?

c-monster
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby c-monster » Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am

Burne182 wrote:I just got in from WL status today and couldn't be more excited. As a second look acceptance, though, I'm not expecting any aid from the school. I would be turning down a full ride to the University of Louisville but I believe it's worth it.

Any thoughts?


I think it depends where you want to work and what you want to do. If you KNOW you want to work in Louisville, you might really consider that full ride. Sometimes a second-tier school like that can be really well connected in the local market, and people there won't care that you didn't go to a better school. Something to at least consider. On the other hand, if you're not sure where you want to work, or if you really, really wanna work in biglaw, you might consider the jump to IU.

Just my two cents. Maybe call an attorney in the Louisville area and ask what they think, too. Hope that helps.

JamesChapman23
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby JamesChapman23 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:24 am

Burne182 wrote:I just got in from WL status today and couldn't be more excited. As a second look acceptance, though, I'm not expecting any aid from the school. I would be turning down a full ride to the University of Louisville but I believe it's worth it.

Any thoughts?


The employment situation at the schools is probably about the same. There is no "BigLaw" at IU. You are nuts to turn down the full ride.

K Rock
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby K Rock » Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 am

JamesChapman23 wrote:You would think 0Ls would have more substantive questions beyond cell phones and gyms. Like the school's 30 percent 3L employment rate or the 2L OCI slaughter.


Can you clarify what you mean by OCI slaughter?

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iowalum » Wed May 09, 2012 6:34 pm

JamesChapman23 wrote:You would think 0Ls would have more substantive questions beyond cell phones and gyms. Like the school's 30 percent 3L employment rate or the 2L OCI slaughter.


Are you really bored enough at Fordham that you need to interrupt another school's thread? You really think we didn't do any research before we applied?

JamesChapman23
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby JamesChapman23 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:19 pm

I go to IU- merely giving advice to people that think the school is a real T30 (hint: its not). Louisville is a peer school employment wise.

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iowalum » Wed May 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Why do you go to IU then?

JamesChapman23
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby JamesChapman23 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Made a mistake. Only saving grace is I don't pay to go here.

mohuohu
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby mohuohu » Wed May 09, 2012 7:38 pm

For what it's worth, I got callbacks from firms as a 1L and secured a summer position on the West Coast despite having no prior ties there. IU has served me very well. It's a wonderful place with a great atmosphere and good academics. I have no complaints beyond some minor annoyances.

All this talk about IU being some kind of job dystopia are greatly exaggerated.

JamesChapman23
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby JamesChapman23 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:44 pm

mohuohu wrote:For what it's worth, I got callbacks from firms as a 1L and secured a summer position on the West Coast despite having no prior ties there. IU has served me very well. It's a wonderful place with a great atmosphere and good academics. I have no complaints beyond some minor annoyances.

All this talk about IU being some kind of job dystopia are greatly exaggerated.


Even at TTTs, things aren't so bad if you are Top 5-10%. I knew people at Pacific (a real TTT) that got jobs in that range. It doesn't change the fact that Indiana isn't in anyway a T30.

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iowalum » Wed May 09, 2012 8:42 pm

JamesChapman23 wrote:Made a mistake. Only saving grace is I don't pay to go here.


You sound like fun.

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 am

JamesChapman23 wrote:
Burne182 wrote:I just got in from WL status today and couldn't be more excited. As a second look acceptance, though, I'm not expecting any aid from the school. I would be turning down a full ride to the University of Louisville but I believe it's worth it.

Any thoughts?


The employment situation at the schools is probably about the same. There is no "BigLaw" at IU. You are nuts to turn down the full ride.


Rising 3L here. I have a Biglaw job and I'm happy to take questions from 0Ls or 1Ls about the job search. Or, I can put you in touch with a number of my classmates who also have Biglaw jobs.

c-monster
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby c-monster » Thu May 10, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm a rising 2L and my experience at IU has been excellent. I am not looking for a biglaw job, so I can't speak to that. But I have been overwhelmingly impressed by the caliber of the faculty and student body. I especially like the fact that people treat each other nicely here. That goes a long way.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Verity » Thu May 10, 2012 3:48 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
JamesChapman23 wrote:
Burne182 wrote:I just got in from WL status today and couldn't be more excited. As a second look acceptance, though, I'm not expecting any aid from the school. I would be turning down a full ride to the University of Louisville but I believe it's worth it.

Any thoughts?


The employment situation at the schools is probably about the same. There is no "BigLaw" at IU. You are nuts to turn down the full ride.


Rising 3L here. I have a Biglaw job and I'm happy to take questions from 0Ls or 1Ls about the job search. Or, I can put you in touch with a number of my classmates who also have Biglaw jobs.



Where did you fall in your class after 1L? Did you get the job through OCI? What city?

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu May 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Verity wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
JamesChapman23 wrote:
Burne182 wrote:I just got in from WL status today and couldn't be more excited. As a second look acceptance, though, I'm not expecting any aid from the school. I would be turning down a full ride to the University of Louisville but I believe it's worth it.

Any thoughts?


The employment situation at the schools is probably about the same. There is no "BigLaw" at IU. You are nuts to turn down the full ride.


Rising 3L here. I have a Biglaw job and I'm happy to take questions from 0Ls or 1Ls about the job search. Or, I can put you in touch with a number of my classmates who also have Biglaw jobs.



Where did you fall in your class after 1L? Did you get the job through OCI? What city?


At the end of 1L I was near the top of the class. I didn't get my job through OCI, and I'd rather not offer the city.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Verity » Thu May 10, 2012 4:34 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:At the end of 1L I was near the top of the class. I didn't get my job through OCI, and I'd rather not offer the city.


What does "near the top of the class" mean? Is the city one of NY/Chi/DC? Did you have some sort of connection? What was your job search strategy?

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu May 10, 2012 4:50 pm

Verity wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:At the end of 1L I was near the top of the class. I didn't get my job through OCI, and I'd rather not offer the city.


What does "near the top of the class" mean? Is the city one of NY/Chi/DC? Did you have some sort of connection? What was your job search strategy?


I don't want to come across as a jack-ass, but I'd rather answer by private message because this information would almost certainly compromise my anonymity.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests