Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gail

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Post by Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 pm

So, with the UIUC scandal, I wonder.

Do you predict Indiana will take a bigger piece of the Chicago pie?

At the same price,

IUB > UIUC?

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Gail wrote:So, with the UIUC scandal, I wonder.

Do you predict Indiana will take a bigger piece of the Chicago pie?

At the same price,

IUB > UIUC?
If there is any effect, I'd be willing to bet that it's small. Many firms really don't seem to be that concerned with the ratings game.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm

I've heard mixed things. I could see why firms could be mad, but then again, I could see why firms wouldn't care.

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Firms won't care about UIUC's forthcoming USNews drop. It has been a solid law school for decades and is the state school for one of the most important states in the union.

If you have strong Chicago ties and go to Indiana, you will be in the same position you would be had you gone to Illinois. Illinois can astroturf Chicago ties for someone but it isn't going to bump you up if you had them already.

aquasalad

Bronze

Post by aquasalad » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:57 pm

c-monster wrote:
Gail wrote:Unless you can get into the T-14, you're not increasing your chances by much at BigLaw by going elsewhere.

120k scholarship >>>> 2% better chance at BigLaw.

IUB seems like a great school. If I get in, I'd be happy to attend, and take my chances with the large amount of career options I could have without that big 200k loan debt hanging on my head like an albatross (sp?).
I agree. It depends on what you want to do, and money is a big concern. That being said, the only reason I'm at IU is because of $120k. I only applied because they waived my fee. Not to say it's a bad school. From my experience, it's a very good school. But I'm from Texas and I just never thought about it. There are a lot of people in the same boat I am.
I'm from Texas, and I'm here at IUB for the exact same reasons stated. The 1L class is a pack of high lsat/gpa strays from all over the place, its kind of cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aquasalad

Bronze

Post by aquasalad » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 am

Does anyone have Kings84's Boshkoff K outline?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:28 am

Sorry Ive been in Vail, I emailed you the outline

obsquared

New

Post by obsquared » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 pm

I don't know if this question has already been asked but how difficult is it to establish residency in Indiana after the first year? Thanks.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:12 pm

When are grades posted?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:16 pm

obsquared wrote:I don't know if this question has already been asked but how difficult is it to establish residency in Indiana after the first year? Thanks.
Borderline impossible

Verity wrote:When are grades posted?
Depends on the professor and type of test (multiple choice exams tend to be faster). Normally most are out by the last week of January but some come in earlier.

rbkl

New

Post by rbkl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Did you go to either the UK or OSU game? :wink:

Cicero, Fin. III 16

New

Post by Cicero, Fin. III 16 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:46 pm

A serious question for Indiana students: where do grads work? (Please take the question in the spirit in which I ask; I know there are some here who try to belittle schools, etc., but not me.)

Perhaps you could give a class breakdown? For e.x., top 10% have biglaw chances(?), top 25% have..., top 1/3..., top 1/2, etc.

Do a lot of people find work with Indiana city governments?

How many people go to Chicago (for any sort of meaningful work)?

Thanks!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Cicero, Fin. III 16 wrote:A serious question ...
Thanks!
I think it is something like this, but these are probably "good market" stats:

500+ Big Law (Chicago/DC): 6.75%
250 - 500 Big Law (Indy/Chicago): 5.19%
101-250 Firms: 6.64%
Article III Clerkships: 5.8%
51-100 Firm: 3.79%
25-50 firm: 4.44%
11-25 firm: 5.81%
2-10 firm: 10.42%
Business/Corporate: 12.63%
Other Clerkships: 3.25%
Academic: 4.15%
Government: 14.85%
Solo: 1.23%
Public Interest: 3.95%
Unknown Size Firm: 7.4%
Unemployed: 3.8%

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Does anyone going to IU commute from Columbus or somewhere equally far away (35ish miles)? I'm trying to decide if I need to get an apartment in Bloomington to stay in during the week or if its reasonable to commute every day - my boyfriend and I live together in Columbus and he won't be able to move closer until next year, so I may have to split time. Anyone have a similar experience?

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:03 pm

iowalum wrote:Does anyone going to IU commute from Columbus or somewhere equally far away (35ish miles)? I'm trying to decide if I need to get an apartment in Bloomington to stay in during the week or if its reasonable to commute every day - my boyfriend and I live together in Columbus and he won't be able to move closer until next year, so I may have to split time. Anyone have a similar experience?
If you don't mind driving about an hour each way, it is possible to commute. There are definitely some people who do it. And Bloomington is small enough that rush hour won't slow you down much.

That being said, you will have long days and relatively early mornings (expect classes starting around 8:25 your first two semesters).

I personally find it easier to study in the library than at home, so I'm here pretty late sometimes. Also, you will have to either pay for a parking permit at the stadium and take a shuttle to the law school, or pay more money (maybe $250, I'm not sure) for a spot in the parking garage (close to the law school).

Hope that helps.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:57 am

iowalum wrote:Does anyone going to IU commute from Columbus or somewhere equally far away (35ish miles)? I'm trying to decide if I need to get an apartment in Bloomington to stay in during the week or if its reasonable to commute every day - my boyfriend and I live together in Columbus and he won't be able to move closer until next year, so I may have to split time. Anyone have a similar experience?
I doubt there are people who commute from Columbus (although there could be).
There are definitely people who commute from the south side of Indy though.

You should really take this into consideration though:
c-monster wrote: That being said, you will have long days and relatively early mornings (expect classes starting around 8:25 your first two semesters).

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Has anybody taken Broughman, and what is your opinion of him?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cedarseoul

New

Post by cedarseoul » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Anyone know when the 1L network activation will take place? Some others schools I applied to (and subsequently turned down) activated my e-mail address and online financial aid account as early as December. I guess there's no real urgency...just want to make sure I haven't missed anything important (I'm out of the country, and my parents don't always save my mail).

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:24 pm

cedarseoul wrote:Anyone know when the 1L network activation will take place? Some others schools I applied to (and subsequently turned down) activated my e-mail address and online financial aid account as early as December. I guess there's no real urgency...just want to make sure I haven't missed anything important (I'm out of the country, and my parents don't always save my mail).
I'm sure you didn't miss anything. It takes a little while. You'll be lucky if you get your schedule the day before class starts.

LogicalBaozi

New

Post by LogicalBaozi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Hiya! Not going to apply to IUB, but my SO is going there for her graduate studies.

So, one consideration is closeness to her. How easy is it for students at IUB to get to Chicago? New York? Penn?

Thanks!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 am

LogicalBaozi wrote:Hiya! Not going to apply to IUB, but my SO is going there for her graduate studies.

So, one consideration is closeness to her. How easy is it for students at IUB to get to Chicago? New York? Penn?

Thanks!
The problem is that IU is a good 1+ to the Indy airport, and the Indy itself is not a massive hub. It's probably easiest just to get to Chicago because you can just drive. It's about 4 hours, which is not a nice drive, but certainly doable for weekend trips.

You're going to have to fly with the other two, and given that I'd reckon its slightly easier to get into NY because there will be more flights headed that way. But either way, I don't think you could do the weekend trip thing with either. You're probably looking at a half to full day travel.

It will be especially hard if you plan on going the other way, from NY or Philly to Bloomington. Then you'd have to not only get ground transportation on the way there, but you'd probably need to a rental as well. There are shuttles, but I wouldn't rely on those.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Future 1L here - I am looking for the best gym that's close to campus, I want to be able to work out between/after/before classes without having to drive anywhere. Suggestions?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 pm

iowalum wrote:Future 1L here - I am looking for the best gym that's close to campus, I want to be able to work out between/after/before classes without having to drive anywhere. Suggestions?
That's going tough. I don't think there are any gyms near the law school itself. I don't recall there being a gym downtown. The campus gyms are both a healthy walk. But they are free.

LogicalBaozi

New

Post by LogicalBaozi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:48 pm

danquayle wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:Hiya! Not going to apply to IUB, but my SO is going there for her graduate studies.

Thanks!
The problem is that IU is a good 1+ to the Indy airport, and the Indy itself is not a massive hub. It's probably easiest just to get to Chicago because you can just drive. It's about 4 hours, which is not a nice drive, but certainly doable for weekend trips.

You're going to have to fly with the other two, and given that I'd reckon its slightly easier to get into NY because there will be more flights headed that way. But either way, I don't think you could do the weekend trip thing with either. You're probably looking at a half to full day travel.

It will be especially hard if you plan on going the other way, from NY or Philly to Bloomington. Then you'd have to not only get ground transportation on the way there, but you'd probably need to a rental as well. There are shuttles, but I wouldn't rely on those.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:45 pm

danquayle wrote:
iowalum wrote:Future 1L here - I am looking for the best gym that's close to campus, I want to be able to work out between/after/before classes without having to drive anywhere. Suggestions?
That's going tough. I don't think there are any gyms near the law school itself. I don't recall there being a gym downtown. The campus gyms are both a healthy walk. But they are free.
Hm. What do people do for workouts? I know there won't be a lot of free time but I think it will keep me sane. Am I limited to nights and weekends?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”