Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 pm

So, with the UIUC scandal, I wonder.

Do you predict Indiana will take a bigger piece of the Chicago pie?


At the same price,

IUB > UIUC?

c-monster
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby c-monster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Gail wrote:So, with the UIUC scandal, I wonder.

Do you predict Indiana will take a bigger piece of the Chicago pie?


At the same price,

IUB > UIUC?


If there is any effect, I'd be willing to bet that it's small. Many firms really don't seem to be that concerned with the ratings game.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm

I've heard mixed things. I could see why firms could be mad, but then again, I could see why firms wouldn't care.

downstream
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby downstream » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Firms won't care about UIUC's forthcoming USNews drop. It has been a solid law school for decades and is the state school for one of the most important states in the union.

If you have strong Chicago ties and go to Indiana, you will be in the same position you would be had you gone to Illinois. Illinois can astroturf Chicago ties for someone but it isn't going to bump you up if you had them already.

User avatar
aquasalad
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby aquasalad » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:57 pm

c-monster wrote:
Gail wrote:Unless you can get into the T-14, you're not increasing your chances by much at BigLaw by going elsewhere.


120k scholarship >>>> 2% better chance at BigLaw.

IUB seems like a great school. If I get in, I'd be happy to attend, and take my chances with the large amount of career options I could have without that big 200k loan debt hanging on my head like an albatross (sp?).


I agree. It depends on what you want to do, and money is a big concern. That being said, the only reason I'm at IU is because of $120k. I only applied because they waived my fee. Not to say it's a bad school. From my experience, it's a very good school. But I'm from Texas and I just never thought about it. There are a lot of people in the same boat I am.


I'm from Texas, and I'm here at IUB for the exact same reasons stated. The 1L class is a pack of high lsat/gpa strays from all over the place, its kind of cool.

User avatar
aquasalad
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby aquasalad » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 am

Does anyone have Kings84's Boshkoff K outline?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:28 am

Sorry Ive been in Vail, I emailed you the outline

obsquared
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby obsquared » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 pm

I don't know if this question has already been asked but how difficult is it to establish residency in Indiana after the first year? Thanks.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Verity » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:12 pm

When are grades posted?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:16 pm

obsquared wrote:I don't know if this question has already been asked but how difficult is it to establish residency in Indiana after the first year? Thanks.


Borderline impossible


Verity wrote:When are grades posted?


Depends on the professor and type of test (multiple choice exams tend to be faster). Normally most are out by the last week of January but some come in earlier.

rbkl
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby rbkl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Did you go to either the UK or OSU game? :wink:

User avatar
Cicero, Fin. III 16
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:30 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Cicero, Fin. III 16 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:46 pm

A serious question for Indiana students: where do grads work? (Please take the question in the spirit in which I ask; I know there are some here who try to belittle schools, etc., but not me.)

Perhaps you could give a class breakdown? For e.x., top 10% have biglaw chances(?), top 25% have..., top 1/3..., top 1/2, etc.

Do a lot of people find work with Indiana city governments?

How many people go to Chicago (for any sort of meaningful work)?

Thanks!

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Cicero, Fin. III 16 wrote:A serious question ...
Thanks!


I think it is something like this, but these are probably "good market" stats:

500+ Big Law (Chicago/DC): 6.75%
250 - 500 Big Law (Indy/Chicago): 5.19%
101-250 Firms: 6.64%
Article III Clerkships: 5.8%
51-100 Firm: 3.79%
25-50 firm: 4.44%
11-25 firm: 5.81%
2-10 firm: 10.42%
Business/Corporate: 12.63%
Other Clerkships: 3.25%
Academic: 4.15%
Government: 14.85%
Solo: 1.23%
Public Interest: 3.95%
Unknown Size Firm: 7.4%
Unemployed: 3.8%

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iowalum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Does anyone going to IU commute from Columbus or somewhere equally far away (35ish miles)? I'm trying to decide if I need to get an apartment in Bloomington to stay in during the week or if its reasonable to commute every day - my boyfriend and I live together in Columbus and he won't be able to move closer until next year, so I may have to split time. Anyone have a similar experience?

c-monster
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby c-monster » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:03 pm

iowalum wrote:Does anyone going to IU commute from Columbus or somewhere equally far away (35ish miles)? I'm trying to decide if I need to get an apartment in Bloomington to stay in during the week or if its reasonable to commute every day - my boyfriend and I live together in Columbus and he won't be able to move closer until next year, so I may have to split time. Anyone have a similar experience?


If you don't mind driving about an hour each way, it is possible to commute. There are definitely some people who do it. And Bloomington is small enough that rush hour won't slow you down much.

That being said, you will have long days and relatively early mornings (expect classes starting around 8:25 your first two semesters).

I personally find it easier to study in the library than at home, so I'm here pretty late sometimes. Also, you will have to either pay for a parking permit at the stadium and take a shuttle to the law school, or pay more money (maybe $250, I'm not sure) for a spot in the parking garage (close to the law school).

Hope that helps.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:57 am

iowalum wrote:Does anyone going to IU commute from Columbus or somewhere equally far away (35ish miles)? I'm trying to decide if I need to get an apartment in Bloomington to stay in during the week or if its reasonable to commute every day - my boyfriend and I live together in Columbus and he won't be able to move closer until next year, so I may have to split time. Anyone have a similar experience?


I doubt there are people who commute from Columbus (although there could be).
There are definitely people who commute from the south side of Indy though.

You should really take this into consideration though:

c-monster wrote:That being said, you will have long days and relatively early mornings (expect classes starting around 8:25 your first two semesters).

c-monster
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby c-monster » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Has anybody taken Broughman, and what is your opinion of him?

User avatar
cedarseoul
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby cedarseoul » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Anyone know when the 1L network activation will take place? Some others schools I applied to (and subsequently turned down) activated my e-mail address and online financial aid account as early as December. I guess there's no real urgency...just want to make sure I haven't missed anything important (I'm out of the country, and my parents don't always save my mail).

c-monster
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby c-monster » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:24 pm

cedarseoul wrote:Anyone know when the 1L network activation will take place? Some others schools I applied to (and subsequently turned down) activated my e-mail address and online financial aid account as early as December. I guess there's no real urgency...just want to make sure I haven't missed anything important (I'm out of the country, and my parents don't always save my mail).


I'm sure you didn't miss anything. It takes a little while. You'll be lucky if you get your schedule the day before class starts.

User avatar
LogicalBaozi
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby LogicalBaozi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Hiya! Not going to apply to IUB, but my SO is going there for her graduate studies.

So, one consideration is closeness to her. How easy is it for students at IUB to get to Chicago? New York? Penn?

Thanks!

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby danquayle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 am

LogicalBaozi wrote:Hiya! Not going to apply to IUB, but my SO is going there for her graduate studies.

So, one consideration is closeness to her. How easy is it for students at IUB to get to Chicago? New York? Penn?

Thanks!


The problem is that IU is a good 1+ to the Indy airport, and the Indy itself is not a massive hub. It's probably easiest just to get to Chicago because you can just drive. It's about 4 hours, which is not a nice drive, but certainly doable for weekend trips.

You're going to have to fly with the other two, and given that I'd reckon its slightly easier to get into NY because there will be more flights headed that way. But either way, I don't think you could do the weekend trip thing with either. You're probably looking at a half to full day travel.

It will be especially hard if you plan on going the other way, from NY or Philly to Bloomington. Then you'd have to not only get ground transportation on the way there, but you'd probably need to a rental as well. There are shuttles, but I wouldn't rely on those.

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iowalum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Future 1L here - I am looking for the best gym that's close to campus, I want to be able to work out between/after/before classes without having to drive anywhere. Suggestions?

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby danquayle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 pm

iowalum wrote:Future 1L here - I am looking for the best gym that's close to campus, I want to be able to work out between/after/before classes without having to drive anywhere. Suggestions?


That's going tough. I don't think there are any gyms near the law school itself. I don't recall there being a gym downtown. The campus gyms are both a healthy walk. But they are free.

User avatar
LogicalBaozi
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:44 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby LogicalBaozi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:48 pm

danquayle wrote:
LogicalBaozi wrote:Hiya! Not going to apply to IUB, but my SO is going there for her graduate studies.

So, one consideration is closeness to her. How easy is it for students at IUB to get to Chicago? New York? Penn?

Thanks!


The problem is that IU is a good 1+ to the Indy airport, and the Indy itself is not a massive hub. It's probably easiest just to get to Chicago because you can just drive. It's about 4 hours, which is not a nice drive, but certainly doable for weekend trips.

You're going to have to fly with the other two, and given that I'd reckon its slightly easier to get into NY because there will be more flights headed that way. But either way, I don't think you could do the weekend trip thing with either. You're probably looking at a half to full day travel.

It will be especially hard if you plan on going the other way, from NY or Philly to Bloomington. Then you'd have to not only get ground transportation on the way there, but you'd probably need to a rental as well. There are shuttles, but I wouldn't rely on those.


Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iowalum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:45 pm

danquayle wrote:
iowalum wrote:Future 1L here - I am looking for the best gym that's close to campus, I want to be able to work out between/after/before classes without having to drive anywhere. Suggestions?


That's going tough. I don't think there are any gyms near the law school itself. I don't recall there being a gym downtown. The campus gyms are both a healthy walk. But they are free.


Hm. What do people do for workouts? I know there won't be a lot of free time but I think it will keep me sane. Am I limited to nights and weekends?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mrro, Swansby, tomwatts and 10 guests