Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
brokenwindows

New

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Post by brokenwindows » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:05 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:If you end up commuting to Indy, you would probably be better off in living in between there and Btown. I cant imagine commuting that everyday. My husband works on the north side of Indy currently. We split the difference and live on the outskirts of Greenwood leaving me with a 40 minute commute. Not the best case scenario as a 1L but I can't imagine asking him to commute from Bloomington.
I am SO making my husband read your reply! :lol: Thanks Rooks!

manhattandoll8

New

Post by manhattandoll8 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:41 pm

brokenwindows wrote:Bummer. :? Hopefully I can secure a job in Bloomington........eesh!
I went to IU for my undergrad- it never took me more thatn 45 min to get to indy but it wasn't necessarily rush hour either

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Anyone have experience with Renwick City Flats? How are they? On the map they look like their right by the LS.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 pm

manhattandoll8 wrote:
brokenwindows wrote:Bummer. :? Hopefully I can secure a job in Bloomington........eesh!
I went to IU for my undergrad- it never took me more thatn 45 min to get to indy but it wasn't necessarily rush hour either
One of the adjunct professors (Robert Meitus) drives to Indianapolis every day from his house just outside of Bloomington. It's possible, though I wouldn't want to do it.

brokenwindows

New

Post by brokenwindows » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:23 pm

I've been doing a drive like that for 4 years now and I was hoping this move would mean that I might be able to get a job in the town I live, but I'm thinking I'm going to be putting more miles on the car for another few years. Ugh! We had to secure a place to live.....in Bloomington and the deposits have been paid as of today so here's to hoping :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tlabrum3

New

Post by tlabrum3 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:55 pm

My wife and I will be heading to Bloomington to check out apartments next month. We're looking for a 2 bedroom. Being close to the law school isn't too important to me as long as it is an easy commute (i.e. close to bus stop, etc.). I'd like to stay in a nicer apartment and am willing to pay for that (within reason). Any one have suggestions as to any specific complexes or areas that we should start our search? Thanks in advance.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hope11

New

Post by hope11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:20 pm

ok so this is freaking me OUT! I never received an e-mail directly from IU saying they received my application or what have you - LSDAS notified me of transmission though. Then I received a packet from IU with a view book and financial information (prospective not an acceptance package). I've not heard from them ever since! Do they notify through e-mail or what is going on!?!?!

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:19 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:When can summer starters expect to get their grade back? September? Or January? (or other)
I did Summer Start; definitely recommend it. you'll have your grades back by mid-September, so it's nice to have one grade under your belt before you even head into December finals.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:34 pm

superflush wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Anyways last year the theory was if you did not have Steele you did not really learn anything. Not sure if its changed at all.
I think I subscribe to this theory.
I would have to agree. I have Steele and he's fantastic. Can't speak definitively for other people, but I've heard from students with other LP professors that their class is pretty much a joke. It's pretty much Steele or bust. On a positive note, though, he teaches 2 out of the 4 LP classes, so you have about 50/50 odds at getting him...

brokenwindows

New

Post by brokenwindows » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:58 am

tlabrum3 wrote:My wife and I will be heading to Bloomington to check out apartments next month. We're looking for a 2 bedroom. Being close to the law school isn't too important to me as long as it is an easy commute (i.e. close to bus stop, etc.). I'd like to stay in a nicer apartment and am willing to pay for that (within reason). Any one have suggestions as to any specific complexes or areas that we should start our search? Thanks in advance.
Another TLS member recommended some apts to us. I can send you the information if you want it. Just PM me.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:11 am

crazyblink653 wrote:
superflush wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Anyways last year the theory was if you did not have Steele you did not really learn anything. Not sure if its changed at all.
I think I subscribe to this theory.
I would have to agree. I have Steele and he's fantastic. Can't speak definitively for other people, but I've heard from students with other LP professors that their class is pretty much a joke. It's pretty much Steele or bust. On a positive note, though, he teaches 2 out of the 4 LP classes, so you have about 50/50 odds at getting him...
any word if they are bringing him back next year? Gotta love that the guy commutes from SV every week to teach class.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:07 am

Can 1L's choose not to have early classes? Do we have any flexibility with our schedule?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Verity wrote:Can 1L's choose not to have early classes? Do we have any flexibility with our schedule?
None whatsoever. Then as a 2L/3L you can do whatever you want.

I actually like that there's no flexibility. I was forced to have some free time between classes and it forced me to get a lot of work done in the library during those times. So I appreciated it.

The whole same-schedule thing definitely makes 1L more high-schoolish, that's for sure.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:35 pm

LogosEther wrote:
Verity wrote:Can 1L's choose not to have early classes? Do we have any flexibility with our schedule?

I actually like that there's no flexibility. I was forced to have some free time between classes and it forced me to get a lot of work done in the library during those times. So I appreciated it.

The whole same-schedule thing definitely makes 1L more high-schoolish, that's for sure.
Does everyone end up with early classes? What's the earliest?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:28 am

Verity wrote:Does everyone end up with early classes? What's the earliest?
http://apps.law.indiana.edu/degrees/cou ... 11fall.pdf

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:13 am

Verity wrote:
LogosEther wrote:

Does everyone end up with early classes? What's the earliest?
So first semester some people had 8:45's and some had 8:25's. I don't think anyone had anything earlier/later as their first class of the day.

This semester I don't have anything before 10:55. Some people don't have class on Monday, but some of those people also start at 8:25. So it's a bit more mixed up this semester, but you still don't get to choose.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:01 pm

And, if you look at the schedule, you'll see that every 1L will have 8:25 classes M-W in the fall.

gatorhoosier

New

Post by gatorhoosier » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:21 pm

During the first semester, most 1L's have a similar schedule.
I am in the group that has the first class of the day each day for both semesters. It sucks.
When I hear people talking about not having class on Monday and not having a first class until 10:55 I want to break something.

But, to answer the question, you don't get to choose as a 1L. You probably will get to choose one prof each semester. We got to choose our Torts prof in fall and ConLaw prof in Spring.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:06 pm

superflush wrote:And, if you look at the schedule, you'll see that every 1L will have 8:25 classes M-W in the fall.
bummer

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:23 pm

Verity wrote:
superflush wrote:And, if you look at the schedule, you'll see that every 1L will have 8:25 classes M-W in the fall.
bummer
8:25 will be far from your biggest worry in the fall.

But yeah, that is really egregious. I often wonder what in the hell IU-B is thinking. It seems they keep going earlier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
Verity wrote:
bummer

But yeah, that is really egregious. I often wonder what in the hell IU-B is thinking. It seems they keep going earlier.
What will be my biggest worry?

I'm anticipating a response vis-a-vis grading. Since we'll be moving on to that topic, what's the grading system like? Do they tell you what percentile you're in?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Verity wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:
Verity wrote:
bummer

What will be my biggest worry?

I'm anticipating a response vis-a-vis grading. Since we'll be moving on to that topic, what's the grading system like? Do they tell you what percentile you're in?
They tell you after the spring semester. It goes in percentiles from 1%, 2%, 3%, 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25% 30% 33% 40% 50%. Normally a 3.35-3.4 or so is median, a 3.5-3.55 top quarter and somewhere between a 3.6-3.7 is top ten.

Its a B+ curve. Actually a very high curve, (higher then UCLA). The actual curve requires the profs to keep the class average between 3.2 and 3.3 (except for seminars and legal professions). Some do this by giving heavy B+ classes, others do a more strict curve. I had one prof first year give no A-'s. I had another give 75% of the class at least a B+ or better. some gave out as low as a C, while one gave nothing lower then a B. So there is some variance in the grading but it tends to be pretty straightforward.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:27 pm

kings84_wr wrote:They tell you after the spring semester. It goes in percentiles from 1%, 2%, 3%, 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25% 30% 33% 40% 50%. Normally a 3.35-3.4 or so is median, a 3.5-3.55 top quarter and somewhere between a 3.6-3.7 is top ten.

Its a B+ curve. Actually a very high curve, (higher then UCLA). The actual curve requires the profs to keep the class average between 3.2 and 3.3 (except for seminars and legal professions). Some do this by giving heavy B+ classes, others do a more strict curve. I had one prof first year give no A-'s. I had another give 75% of the class at least a B+ or better. some gave out as low as a C, while one gave nothing lower then a B. So there is some variance in the grading but it tends to be pretty straightforward.

Is the final grade entirely a result of the exam? Does class participation have any place in it?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Verity wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:They tell you after the spring semester. It goes in percentiles from 1%, 2%, 3%, 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25% 30% 33% 40% 50%. Normally a 3.35-3.4 or so is median, a 3.5-3.55 top quarter and somewhere between a 3.6-3.7 is top ten.

Is the final grade entirely a result of the exam? Does class participation have any place in it?

Depends on the prof. I know for a fact that my Contracts exam the prof turned in without even looking at the names, so there no bumps. However other profs do give a bump. Legal professions is the bizarre class, its like 50% grade 25% presentation and some part participation, and ends up being curved at around 3.5.

I think as long as the profs stay within the 3.2-3.3 class average they are ok to bump.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”