Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LogosEther
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby LogosEther » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Splitter pride, right here.

I would check out the restaurants on 4th street, for one. I spend a lot of time there.

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby RMstratosphere » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Seriously???, you mad bro?

thmgoodw
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby thmgoodw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:46 pm

seriously???? wrote:Wow, are you trying to convince me to goto IUB?


Why would I do that? I am not a member of IUB's admissions committee. What I am is an alum who was simply sharing my experience (and which as part of working out here involved interviewing potential new hires on a continual basis). In virtually any city in the country you have to convince them that you really want to work there. That is the nature of the beast. The only exception to that in my experience is NYC, and that is because to most NYC folks they believe that everyone would be stupid to want to live/work anywhere else.

I feel sorry for whatever law school you decide to attend.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:19 am

23!!! (again)

Did we discuss our essentially meaningless jump up to 23? I know it doesn't matter, but it does make me happy. I know when we moved up some people felt we were never worth a top 25 spot, and we would be some 1 year wonder. Now we are back at the same spot, tied with the same schools (and UC Davis... congrats to them on one hell of a showing).

kublaikahn
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kublaikahn » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:57 am

.
Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:18 am

kublaikahn wrote:I am thinking about taking the money at IUB. I know this doesn't apply to most, but can anyone talk about neighborhoods, crime, and schools for young kids? I have two.


1. Money always sounds good.
2. Neighborhoods are good. You will be a bit farther from the law school, but there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in Bloomington.
3. One of my prior, non-Bloomington residences would occasionally end up with dead bodies. Instead of 3+ locks on a door in a row, Bloomington has 1. I don't think I have really heard of anyone being a victim of a crime in this town. Bloomington has been one of those places that I leave my laptop in the library, and have not had or heard of any problems like that.
4. I don't have kids, but I've heard the only good schools are Christian schools. Not sure if I buy that. A number of teachers send their kids to the better local schools, and... well, I don't know how to finish the sentence, I just know they do. I'll try and check with some of the law school students who send their kids to the local schools, and see what they have to say.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:26 am

seriously???? wrote:again, great choice for a midwest school. But if others are looking towards another region, more money towards a strong regional school may payoff in the long run, or a similar scholarship to a lesser ranked school in the region you want to work in may also be a good choice.


This is the reality of law school admission right now. In fact some people will even argue that T-14's fall into this category now (at least for median students). I don't think anyone really can recommend going to IU for anything but the midwest. There are some variables, such as type of law (Public Interest and government are different for employment then big law), but IU is a regional school. Hell UCLA is a regional school. Thats why USNWR is ridiculous.

For example if UC Davis was giving out full rides like IU, it would not be a good idea to go to Davis in order to get a big law job in Chicago.

Anyways thats the best point serously???? made, the Cooley and weak splitter stuff (I'm proud of my 3.0/166) was ridiculous.

On to more applicable thoughts for the thread:

How is the legal profession class going this year? I know Prof. Henderson is like the guy for research on law firms during the recession and thinks that the class can really help hiring. Prof. Steele seemed to think the class was a huge deal for future hiring in big law, and while I don't see it, the dude was a hiring partner at a Vault 100 firm.

pcvmeli
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby pcvmeli » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:49 am

Hi! I am really interested in Public Interest/Government work, I also hope to do the JD/MPA dual degree. Can you give me any insight to how well students do looking for summer work and post graduate work in this field? I don't have any preference on where I want to work. I am from Ohio, but have lived in the south for awhile. I don't feel any pull to any particular city.

LogosEther
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby LogosEther » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 am

kings84_wr wrote:How is the legal profession class going this year? I know Prof. Henderson is like the guy for research on law firms during the recession and thinks that the class can really help hiring. Prof. Steele seemed to think the class was a huge deal for future hiring in big law, and while I don't see it, the dude was a hiring partner at a Vault 100 firm.


It's tough to say. I like it overall, others don't. I think that some days are pretty useless, while other days are really good. I like Steele. My favorite parts of the class are just when he goes on a tangent and talks about some aspect of lawyering that most people don't already know.

I also admit that on interviews, I have found myself referencing this class. I never plan on it, but if anyone ever asks me about the education at IU, it's the only 1L class that other schools don't necessarily have, so I bring it up. Actually, whether you like Henderson or not, there is one thing that all law partners say when I speak to them: "law school doesn't prepare your basic lawyers skills." So if you just preemptively say that the LP class is intended to counteract that fact, it'll go down as a "plus" in their books, for sure.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:44 pm

LogosEther wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:How is the legal profession class going this year? I know Prof. Henderson is like the guy for research on law firms during the recession and thinks that the class can really help hiring. Prof. Steele seemed to think the class was a huge deal for future hiring in big law, and while I don't see it, the dude was a hiring partner at a Vault 100 firm.


It's tough to say. I like it overall, others don't. I think that some days are pretty useless, while other days are really good. I like Steele. My favorite parts of the class are just when he goes on a tangent and talks about some aspect of lawyering that most people don't already know.

I also admit that on interviews, I have found myself referencing this class. I never plan on it, but if anyone ever asks me about the education at IU, it's the only 1L class that other schools don't necessarily have, so I bring it up. Actually, whether you like Henderson or not, there is one thing that all law partners say when I speak to them: "law school doesn't prepare your basic lawyers skills." So if you just preemptively say that the LP class is intended to counteract that fact, it'll go down as a "plus" in their books, for sure.


Steele is Money. Has he told his Tucker Max stories this year? I recommend getting your pga to go to lunch with him, he is even better in small group settings and has lots of really good advice for interviews and law firms.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:42 pm

pcvmeli wrote:Hi! I am really interested in Public Interest/Government work, I also hope to do the JD/MPA dual degree. Can you give me any insight to how well students do looking for summer work and post graduate work in this field? I don't have any preference on where I want to work. I am from Ohio, but have lived in the south for awhile. I don't feel any pull to any particular city.


Not sure if I know of anyone doing an MPA. There's a good number of students in the SPEA program. I don't think anyone has much trouble getting government positions.

gatorhoosier
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby gatorhoosier » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Kings,
I don't know if LP helps much, but OCPD and Henderson sure are pushing us pretty hard to mention it in interviews.
Henderson also pimps his project mgmt class pretty hard.

April 8 is LRW freedom day in 2011. It will be glorious!

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby seriously???? » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 pm

i'm trying to stay off this page, but allow me to elaborate on a few things.
first,the reason I feel contempt towards IUB was my sitdown meeting with the asst dean of admissions. How the hell could she possibly look me in the eye and say that Indy is not the schools major market, and that Indy is a main market along with CHI, DC, NYC? How can she call DC, CHI, and NYC main markets, when prolly only a handful are in CHI, and two a piece are in NYC and DC? I took the time to visit and sitdown with her, and she flat out lied to my face, assuming that I was an idiot and that I would believe her. I am not a JD graduate who wound up working in an admissions office like her.

The splitter reference I made was not really important. All I was saying is that if IUB had significant proof that their reputation was similar to others in the T30-T20 range, they probably could have gone after a 169 median with all of their money, instead of a 166.

And finally, the Cooley example I made does make sense. I think it is a tad foolish to visit a school that one is already committed to for a first time during ASW. It's like getting married to a girl and the only time you have seen her was when she was all dolled up and you were together in the VIP lounge sipping bottles. You should goto the school before they put on the extravaganza known as ASW, and see what she looks like tired and without makeup.
During the IUB ASW, like others, you will be impressed with the successful alum flying in, but even a school like Cooley has badass alum that one would be equally impressed with.

and to the lawyer who I insulted...sorry. But how the hell do you expect someone who has never been to or lived in Philly to easily get biglaw there coming from Indiana? Say you like the Ryan Howard Subway commercials and Rocky is your favorite movie?

thmgoodw
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby thmgoodw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:18 pm

seriously???? wrote:
and to the lawyer who I insulted...sorry. But how the hell do you expect someone who has never been to or lived in Philly to easily get biglaw there coming from Indiana? Say you like the Ryan Howard Subway commercials and Rocky is your favorite movie?


As I noted, the fact is with any city (outside of NYC), you have to prove an interest in that locale. That is a fact of life. It doesn't matter whether that is Indy, Chicago, Dallas or Philadelphia. IMHO, if someone has never been to a city, then they shouldn't be applying to work there. If i'm a hiring partner for a biglaw firm in Chicago and you say you've never been to chicago before, why the hell should I hire you?

That being said, make up a family connection. Say that your aunt and uncle retired there several years ago and you visit them several times a year and would like to be by your family. That will get you past a "why do you want to live in XXX" 95% of the time. Personally, I told them that my fiance got a job out there and it got me offers at both Dechert and Morgan Lewis (lateraling in from Chicago) [note: that was a fact, but an unverified fact that will always be accepted at face value]

kublaikahn
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kublaikahn » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:07 pm

.
Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rk90
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby rk90 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:41 am

Does anyone here have any experience with / thoughts on the Campus Walk Apartments?

User avatar
aquasalad
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby aquasalad » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 am

seriously???? wrote:first,the reason I feel contempt towards IUB


pls stfu

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 am

seriously???? wrote:i'm trying to stay off this page, but allow me to elaborate on a few things.
first,the reason I feel contempt towards IUB was my sitdown meeting with the asst dean of admissions. How the hell could she possibly look me in the eye and say that Indy is not the schools major market, and that Indy is a main market along with CHI, DC, NYC? How can she call DC, CHI, and NYC main markets, when prolly only a handful are in CHI, and two a piece are in NYC and DC? I took the time to visit and sitdown with her, and she flat out lied to my face, assuming that I was an idiot and that I would believe her. I am not a JD graduate who wound up working in an admissions office like her.

The splitter reference I made was not really important. All I was saying is that if IUB had significant proof that their reputation was similar to others in the T30-T20 range, they probably could have gone after a 169 median with all of their money, instead of a 166.

And finally, the Cooley example I made does make sense. I think it is a tad foolish to visit a school that one is already committed to for a first time during ASW. It's like getting married to a girl and the only time you have seen her was when she was all dolled up and you were together in the VIP lounge sipping bottles. You should goto the school before they put on the extravaganza known as ASW, and see what she looks like tired and without makeup.
During the IUB ASW, like others, you will be impressed with the successful alum flying in, but even a school like Cooley has badass alum that one would be equally impressed with.

and to the lawyer who I insulted...sorry. But how the hell do you expect someone who has never been to or lived in Philly to easily get biglaw there coming from Indiana? Say you like the Ryan Howard Subway commercials and Rocky is your favorite movie?



Haha, seriously (????) dude, I was willing to give you a chance. But you just come off a spoiled, vindictive douche without any grasp on the realities of life in this post. HOW DARE THEY MISLEAD ME! HOW DARE THEY PAINT A PRETTY PICTURE FOR ME!!!

If you really have this much difficulty discerning hot air from concrete fact you're going to have a tough time as a lawyer. And if you get this angry and spiteful when people do indeed try to glad hand you, you're going to go postal on someone. You're going to be a lawyer. Get used to this kind of stuff. Why do you think law schools are all so clever and evasive in framing issues? They're run by lawyers.

Every law school games the system. Every lawyer games the system. That's kind of the job description. Don't hate the player. Especially if you want to be one.

columbia86
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby columbia86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 am

danquayle wrote:Every law school games the system. Every lawyer games the system. That's kind of the job description. Don't hate the player. Especially if you want to be one.


+1

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby seriously???? » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 pm

danquayle wrote:
seriously???? wrote:i'm trying to stay off this page, but allow me to elaborate on a few things.
first,the reason I feel contempt towards IUB was my sitdown meeting with the asst dean of admissions. How the hell could she possibly look me in the eye and say that Indy is not the schools major market, and that Indy is a main market along with CHI, DC, NYC? How can she call DC, CHI, and NYC main markets, when prolly only a handful are in CHI, and two a piece are in NYC and DC? I took the time to visit and sitdown with her, and she flat out lied to my face, assuming that I was an idiot and that I would believe her. I am not a JD graduate who wound up working in an admissions office like her.

The splitter reference I made was not really important. All I was saying is that if IUB had significant proof that their reputation was similar to others in the T30-T20 range, they probably could have gone after a 169 median with all of their money, instead of a 166.

And finally, the Cooley example I made does make sense. I think it is a tad foolish to visit a school that one is already committed to for a first time during ASW. It's like getting married to a girl and the only time you have seen her was when she was all dolled up and you were together in the VIP lounge sipping bottles. You should goto the school before they put on the extravaganza known as ASW, and see what she looks like tired and without makeup.
During the IUB ASW, like others, you will be impressed with the successful alum flying in, but even a school like Cooley has badass alum that one would be equally impressed with.

and to the lawyer who I insulted...sorry. But how the hell do you expect someone who has never been to or lived in Philly to easily get biglaw there coming from Indiana? Say you like the Ryan Howard Subway commercials and Rocky is your favorite movie?



Haha, seriously (????) dude, I was willing to give you a chance. But you just come off a spoiled, vindictive douche without any grasp on the realities of life in this post. HOW DARE THEY MISLEAD ME! HOW DARE THEY PAINT A PRETTY PICTURE FOR ME!!!

If you really have this much difficulty discerning hot air from concrete fact you're going to have a tough time as a lawyer. And if you get this angry and spiteful when people do indeed try to glad hand you, you're going to go postal on someone. You're going to be a lawyer. Get used to this kind of stuff. Why do you think law schools are all so clever and evasive in framing issues? They're run by lawyers.

Every law school games the system. Every lawyer games the system. That's kind of the job description. Don't hate the player. Especially if you want to be one.


alright, this is my last post here. i had zero difficulty discerning the lies of the admission staff. it wasn't gaming the system, it was a blatant lie, big difference. and again, the point was not clever, so I am not hating the player, i am hating the hack. and youre right, most lawyers game the system, many lie in a convincing fashion, but law school is supposed to be theoretically pure, wherein the practice is where the morality gets confusing. i saw the bs and I got out, but if they are able to convince even one young person who takes their word for fact, then that is a horrible thing. sure, you could say that the person deserves to get played, because they couldn't figure it out, but I still find it fucked up, and I do believe that lawsuits will come and be successful.

and vindictive...maybe...isn't that a joy of being a lawyer, fucking over people who first tried to fuck you over? and maybe I will go verbally postal...again, isn't that one aspect of being an attorney. maybe attorneys think that taking things personally is a bad trait, but I feel the passion will strike the hearts of the jury, which is all that matters
spoiled...doubtful...never would have considered living in Bum Fuck Indiana if I could afford elsewhere...
douche...prolly...i have been posting on this site way too much, which is certainly douchey.

so nobody reply to this post, let's just leave it as is, and I'm out...

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Ugh, thank GOODNESS that is over. Buzz Killington will surely not be missed. Can we get back on topic now?

User avatar
AboveTheLawSchool
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:25 pm

So Poolside apartments: yay or nay?

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:35 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:So Poolside apartments: yay or nay?


They're close and heavily populated by law students. They're pretty nice as well and in a relatively quiet, non-ugrad dominated area.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:45 am

kehoema2 wrote:Generally speaking, are the apartments that you have experience with unfurnished?


Yes. Although there are a few that are furnished.

beidoun wrote:I know IU-B just increased their tuition, is this a regularly occurring increase? Should we expect an increase every year in tuition?


You should expect every school to raise their tuition, unless they specifically advertise otherwise on their website.

kings84_wr wrote:How is the legal profession class going this year? I know Prof. Henderson is like the guy for research on law firms during the recession and thinks that the class can really help hiring. Prof. Steele seemed to think the class was a huge deal for future hiring in big law, and while I don't see it, the dude was a hiring partner at a Vault 100 firm.


It's probably going better for those who have Steele.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:14 am

Seriously???? reminds me a lot of one particular 1L last year . . . . He may be a little too blunt and express his emotions, but he is right on a lot of things.

Anyways last year the theory was if you did not have Steele you did not really learn anything. Not sure if its changed at all.

I don't think the class helped land any callbacks or jobs, but it at least was something to distinguish myself from other applicants. And the SA i did end up getting, the hiring partner seemed really impressed with the class.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest