Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kings84_wr

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:16 pm

danquayle wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gummy19vp

versus

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gmwrestling

and

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/DCSLC

These three profiles should tell you all you need to know about what Indiana is trying to do this year.

It looks like they're trying to push at a 166 median. That'll be hard to pull off.
It would be a huge step for IU if they can get the 166 Median, since law school apps are down this year. With Illinois, Notre dame, WUSTL, and UMN at 167, it would be good to close the gap.

I think its possible though, people are very concerned about debt in this economy, and IU is taking advantage of it. With a fairly small class size for a public school, i think even 10 or 20 more 166's could easily move them into the 166 median range. Its nice to see them being very very aggressive.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:01 pm

kings84_wr wrote:

versus

and

These three profiles should tell you all you need to know about what Indiana is trying to do this year.

It looks like they're trying to push at a 166 median. That'll be hard to pull off.
It would be a huge step for IU if they can get the 166 Median, since law school apps are down this year. With Illinois, Notre dame, WUSTL, and UMN at 167, it would be good to close the gap.

I think its possible though, people are very concerned about debt in this economy, and IU is taking advantage of it. With a fairly small class size for a public school, i think even 10 or 20 more 166's could easily move them into the 166 median range. Its nice to see them being very very aggressive.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kradke

Definitely looks like a full ride to anyone with 166 or above. Seen a lot of 165 waitlists, which is something unheard of for IU. Even saw a 3.99/163 Waitlist at IU. If they were really taking a holistic approach, that would have been an autoadmit. It has been in years past, in fact.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:06 pm

danquayle wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:

versus

and

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kradke

Definitely looks like a full ride to anyone with 166 or above. Seen a lot of 165 waitlists, which is something unheard of for IU. Even saw a 3.99/163 Waitlist at IU. If they were really taking a holistic approach, that would have been an autoadmit. It has been in years past, in fact.

http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

Wow. That's insane. Anything about a 166 is an admit. I agree with the approach, but damn. I wonder who got in IU's head. They've always been splitter friendly, but it's madness this year. Last year's "line" was 164, but even then there was nuance with some 164+ waitlisted and some 164- admitted. This year... wow...

Maybe IU's been listening to me. ;)

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm

I dont know what has changed from last year to this year, but whatever it is it has worked out in my favor. My numbers alone would render me ineligible for admission to most T30 schools, and if I were admitted a scholarship would normally have been out of the question, but they have been very generous and I am seriously considering taking them up on their offer.

Im excited about meeting potential classmates who, like me, may not have even considered IUB had it not been for the scholarship.

RooksWS6

New

Post by RooksWS6 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:07 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I dont know what has changed from last year to this year, but whatever it is it has worked out in my favor. My numbers alone would render me ineligible for admission to most T30 schools, and if I were admitted a scholarship would normally have been out of the question, but they have been very generous and I am seriously considering taking them up on their offer.

Im excited about meeting potential classmates who, like me, may not have even considered IUB had it not been for the scholarship.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nadiaaa5860

New

Post by nadiaaa5860 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Any 1Ls get a stipend to visit last year? Where'd they put you guys? I'm hoping its someplace close to campus.

RooksWS6

New

Post by RooksWS6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:00 pm

I received an email inviting me to come to the final round of the Moot Court competition this Friday evening. I'm considering going, but just not sure it would be worth taking the time to drive down. Any thoughts from current students??

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:16 pm

nadiaaa5860 wrote:Any 1Ls get a stipend to visit last year? Where'd they put you guys? I'm hoping its someplace close to campus.
Yes, but you have to whine about it, but they have flown people out. Not sure where they stayed, I think it was on campus.
I received an email inviting me to come to the final round of the Moot Court competition this Friday evening. I'm considering going, but just not sure it would be worth taking the time to drive down. Any thoughts from current students??
Hmm, I think it should be fairly interesting, but I wouldn't necessarily drive a huge distance just to watch it. You could catch a class early in the morning, check out the town, watch the finals, then see Kirkwood on a Friday night.

I plan on going, but I've been saying that about a lot of the arguments.

chihuahua12

Bronze

Post by chihuahua12 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:00 am

nadiaaa5860 wrote:Any 1Ls get a stipend to visit last year? Where'd they put you guys? I'm hoping its someplace close to campus.
They sent out an e-mail about reimbursing for visiting. Not sure if everyone gets it though... you should send an e-mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nadiaaa5860

New

Post by nadiaaa5860 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:48 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:
They sent out an e-mail about reimbursing for visiting. Not sure if everyone gets it though... you should send an e-mail.
Yup, got the email, just wondering if I choose the free room..where exactly that will be because if its not on campus, I'm contemplating booking my own someplace closer.

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 pm

does anyone have a sense of how the indy market is doing?
i am already surprised how it does not have many biglaw firms, so does it have a significant amount of medium sized firms and specialty boutiques? what has me worried is that i compared the biglaw placements between 08, and 09, and the 09 placements are half of the 08 placements (15% vs 7.5%?). Now I know not a lot of us are biglaw or bust, but if biglaw does the most hiring, and they cut their hiring in half, what does that say about the rest of the market that does not hire as often? I wish someone could corroborate on my statistics, because I know a lot of markets took a hit, but a fifty percent decrease has to be up there as one of the markets or schools that took the biggest hits.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:18 pm

nadiaaa5860 wrote:
chihuahua12 wrote:
Yup, got the email, just wondering if I choose the free room..where exactly that will be because if its not on campus, I'm contemplating booking my own someplace closer.
The free room is at the Hilton Garden Inn. I went ahead and took it because Im too cheap to pay.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:The free room is at the Hilton Garden Inn. I went ahead and took it because Im too cheap to pay.
That's not too far. I think last year they had people at a cheaper hotel that was farther away.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:08 pm

superflush wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:The free room is at the Hilton Garden Inn. I went ahead and took it because Im too cheap to pay.
That's not too far. I think last year they had people at a cheaper hotel that was farther away.
That's not that bad of a walk at all. Not at all. And it's one of the nicest hotels in the city, in fairly close proximity to downtown bloomington.

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:14 pm

seriously???? wrote:does anyone have a sense of how the indy market is doing?
i am already surprised how it does not have many biglaw firms, so does it have a significant amount of medium sized firms and specialty boutiques? what has me worried is that i compared the biglaw placements between 08, and 09, and the 09 placements are half of the 08 placements (15% vs 7.5%?). Now I know not a lot of us are biglaw or bust, but if biglaw does the most hiring, and they cut their hiring in half, what does that say about the rest of the market that does not hire as often? I wish someone could corroborate on my statistics, because I know a lot of markets took a hit, but a fifty percent decrease has to be up there as one of the markets or schools that took the biggest hits.
1L perspective: I don't really know the specific stats. What I do know is that the firms I'm familiar with in Indy have kept decently healthy summer associate classes, which is a good indicator of their health and hiring. This is mostly clear when comparing Indy to Chi, taking into account proportionality because of size (of the cities and the separate firms). This does not mean that it's easy to get these positions. But they definitely do exist, even for 1L summers.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:01 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

Kinda disappointing IU is not in the top 50 again. I think a lot of this has to do with there only being 3 NLJ 250 firms in Indy who hire about 6-10 Summer associates each (from ND, IU, IU-Indy etc.) So if IU is around 10% (which hopefully they are since we don't even get the number from that chart) that would mean about 20-22 SA's at the three firms above plus any Chicago, DC, or other Midwest NLJ 250 firm ( I don't remember how many of these were at OCI).

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:11 am

the school that got 50 was 10.5%, so it wouldn't be wrong to assume that it is under ten percent. IUB def has alumni in DC, but the idea of DC biglaw might be overemphasized. I'm thinking that only 2 students from last years class placed there, but people think it is more because these kids are featured on the website.
but still, IUB is going to move up on the rankings again this year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:24 am

seriously???? wrote:the school that got 50 was 10.5%, so it wouldn't be wrong to assume that it is under ten percent. IUB def has alumni in DC, but the idea of DC biglaw might be overemphasized. I'm thinking that only 2 students from last years class placed there, but people think it is more because these kids are featured on the website.
but still, IUB is going to move up on the rankings again this year?
Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I saw that IUB wasnt in the top 50. It's also sad to hear that they basically dont do anything beyond Chicago, but I guess thats the nature of a regional school. I wish their alumni connects in DC translated into more jobs for IU grads, but since every man and their mother wants to practice law in the District I guess that would be hard to do.

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:30 am

i wasn't surprised that they were not in the top 50, because they weren't the year before. But I certainly was hoping that they were in the top 50, especially since the numbers dropped everywhere overall. Again, that's why I have been asking the whole time how they are ranked so high in the USNWR rankings, and I hope to get a good answer when I visit.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:35 am

Yeah it was 2 in DC, but when 20 people make up 10% of the class, 2 is a full percentage point. I actually think more got DC big law then Chicago (that i know of, im sure there may be more). Hell only one DC Big law firm came to OCI that i know of (i guess two if you count Jones day since they interview for all offices).

My only point was that there are really only 3 indy firms in the NLJ 250, and most of IU's OCI hiring is Indy firms, so it kinda makes sense that they don't do as well in these stats.

Albeit they still should be at least on pace with Ohio state, Wisconsin and Iowa. Its still no excuse but it makes sense that they do so poorly, in comparison with lower ranked schools that feed into bigger markets with lots of NLJ 250.

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:47 am

lord, I hope IU places better in Chi than DC. The problem with the indy market is that IU-Indy isn't regarded as a TTT compared to IUB, they probably place just as well. Not to mention that Indiana is a small state so I can only imagine that ND does pretty damn well too. WUSTL even places in Indy, but I can assure you, IUB does not place in St. Louis biglaw. Now I am finally wishing I did better in UG.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:10 am

So do you mean NO ONE got a job in Chicago?
I am relatively sure I'm going to wind up at IU but those statistics are not comforting. :( I like the idea of Bloomington and I LOVE the 120k but that's scary.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:12 am

for what its worth i was referring to Big law in chicago, and the numbers are not great at all, like anecdotally very very few people get big law in chicago from IU right now.

Im sure more end up working in chicago

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:55 am

I looked up last years OCI firms that were in the NLJ 250 and it was around 13 or 14 (with a couple IP firms). Actually higher then I expected. That does not include resume collects.

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Do you think its necessary to have a car in bloomington if I plan to live relatively close to the law school?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”