Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Bankhead wrote:^ Your friends likely had high GPAs though, right?


Not sure - my admissions-related rants usually berate the LSAT exclusively.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:It did seem to be huge on LSN and everything, but I have several friends who had 160- scores. I think the cutoff might not have been as extreme as LSN would have you believe.

Although, if they are wise, they will try to raise admissions numbers this year.


Bankhead wrote:^ Your friends likely had high GPAs though, right? That poster said she had sub median numbers, which I took to mean she had both LSAT and GPA below the median, which is never a good combo. Even assuming admission, there is also something to be said about getting a large scholarship at a school where the median starting salary isn't that high. This can be achieved most easily by getting a high LSAT.


exactly, the only people with sub-160 are people with really high GPAs (or URMs)

agentcom
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:59 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby agentcom » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:53 pm

superflush wrote:exactly, the only people with sub-160 are people with really high GPAs (or URMs)


iambeautiful did say that s/he wrote a DS. Maybe a URM.

@iambeautiful: What are your scores? If you're in no-chance land then there's not much you can do. If you're just lower than average, write a really good PS, do better on your LSATs, write an addendum explaining your low GPA, blow an adcomm. I don't really know if there's some unique advice on how to get into IU that doesn't apply to every other law school.

The good news is you're on the right site. There's a wealth of information available on these forums. Submit your PS/DS for review. Look for recommendations on study methods for the LSAT. Check out the lawschoolpredictor thread. Really, just about every part of the process has been covered, and if you're here you're probably ahead of over half the applicants to whatever schools you end up applying to.

Oh and APPLY EARLY! (always)

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iowalum » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:50 pm

I applied ED at IU-B in October and I am visiting next Monday and Tuesday. I'll be doing the tour, admissions/financial aid meetings, and Civ Pro class on Tuesday.

Anything I definitely have to see? Questions to ask? Good restaurants on campus?

Thanks!

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:03 am

iowalum wrote:I applied ED at IU-B in October and I am visiting next Monday and Tuesday. I'll be doing the tour, admissions/financial aid meetings, and Civ Pro class on Tuesday.

Anything I definitely have to see? Questions to ask? Good restaurants on campus?

Thanks!


If you're going to CivPro with Orenstein, I'll see you there.

There really aren't any good restaurants "on-campus," but there are some pretty good places near the law school. There are several Asian restaurants with good reps right down 4th Street a couple blocks west of the law school. If you've got a while to burn and want a good burger, Nick's English Hut is where to go, on Kirkwood, about three blocks west and one block north of the law school.

Good questions to ask would be anything and everything you're curious about. When I went on my official visit, I didn't know I would be chatting with an admissions rep for any length of time, so I was a little unprepared. Just come with a few relevant questions in mind.

If you're into sports, IU has a home basketball game on Tuesday night. Games at Assembly Hall are pretty sweet.

Anyway, Civ Pro is a good class for prospective students to go to. All of the professors are very likable by all accounts, and the classes are probably the easiest to follow if you haven't been in there all year.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:If you're going to CivPro with Orenstein, I'll see you there.


We don't even have class on Tuesday, right.

Vincent Vega wrote:There really aren't any good restaurants "on-campus," but there are some pretty good places near the law school. There are several Asian restaurants with good reps right down 4th Street a couple blocks west of the law school. If you've got a while to burn and want a good burger, Nick's English Hut is where to go, on Kirkwood, about three blocks west and one block north of the law school.


+1. All the places to eat are off-campus, and they're closer than any possible place you could eat on-campus. The law school is right on the SW edge of campus, and there are a bunch of decent places to eat just off the edge.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 pm

superflush wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:If you're going to CivPro with Orenstein, I'll see you there.


We don't even have class on Tuesday, right.



Right - I didn't even pay attention to the day mentioned.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby danquayle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:54 am

Vincent Vega wrote:
iowalum wrote:I applied ED at IU-B in October and I am visiting next Monday and Tuesday. I'll be doing the tour, admissions/financial aid meetings, and Civ Pro class on Tuesday.

Anything I definitely have to see? Questions to ask? Good restaurants on campus?

Thanks!


If you're going to CivPro with Orenstein, I'll see you there.

There really aren't any good restaurants "on-campus," but there are some pretty good places near the law school. There are several Asian restaurants with good reps right down 4th Street a couple blocks west of the law school. If you've got a while to burn and want a good burger, Nick's English Hut is where to go, on Kirkwood, about three blocks west and one block north of the law school.

Good questions to ask would be anything and everything you're curious about. When I went on my official visit, I didn't know I would be chatting with an admissions rep for any length of time, so I was a little unprepared. Just come with a few relevant questions in mind.

If you're into sports, IU has a home basketball game on Tuesday night. Games at Assembly Hall are pretty sweet.

Anyway, Civ Pro is a good class for prospective students to go to. All of the professors are very likable by all accounts, and the classes are probably the easiest to follow if you haven't been in there all year.


Bloomington has absolutely fabulous restaurants. Just walk
Down 4th. Got any requests? Mother bears is the best pizza I've evr had.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
Although, if they are wise, they will try to raise admissions numbers this year.


I've said and expected that two years in a row. It hasn't happened. I don't know why or what the theory is, but IU has ignored improving their LSAT range and focused on GPA.

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby lalalawya » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Does IUB offer scholarships to current students? (i.e students in top 10% receive 4,500 a year or something of the sort)

Thank you!

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:08 pm

lalalawya wrote:Does IUB offer scholarships to current students? (i.e students in top 10% receive 4,500 a year or something of the sort)

Thank you!


It's on an individual basis. It can, and does, happen.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:32 am

Spoonmanners wrote:I've said and expected that two years in a row. It hasn't happened. I don't know why or what the theory is, but IU has ignored improving their LSAT range and focused on GPA.


I don't think they ignored it. I think that, at a certain point, they realized that they wouldn't be able to raise the LSAT, so they just bumped the GPA.

agentcom
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:59 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby agentcom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:29 pm

superflush wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:I've said and expected that two years in a row. It hasn't happened. I don't know why or what the theory is, but IU has ignored improving their LSAT range and focused on GPA.


I don't think they ignored it. I think that, at a certain point, they realized that they wouldn't be able to raise the LSAT, so they just bumped the GPA.


I do think that they bumped the looks factor over the last couple years. Not to say there aren't exceptions, but have you seen the 1L class?

NM, too many people know who I am on these boards. I shouldn't say things like that ;)

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:32 pm

agentcom wrote:
superflush wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:I've said and expected that two years in a row. It hasn't happened. I don't know why or what the theory is, but IU has ignored improving their LSAT range and focused on GPA.


I don't think they ignored it. I think that, at a certain point, they realized that they wouldn't be able to raise the LSAT, so they just bumped the GPA.


I do think that they bumped the looks factor over the last couple years. Not to say there aren't exceptions, but have you seen the 1L class?

NM, too many people know who I am on these boards. I shouldn't say things like that ;)


Ha, I remember who you are from SLD in March. We played Sink the Biz.

agentcom
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:59 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby agentcom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...

I've never been in Nick's in my life.

I don't even know what that game is.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Nobody ever asks questions on here for this cycle. This thread was pretty active last year. Surely, someone must have some query for us?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby ran12 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:39 pm

What's it like for students from the East Coast?

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby 83947368 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:41 pm

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:59 am

ran12 wrote:What's it like for students from the East Coast?


It is like a few square miles surrounded by reality.

Things don't move too slow here or anything. Just don't go more than 10 blocks away from campus unless you really need to.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:47 am

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Hey I got a question:

Any idea what it's like for someone who wants to do criminal law? Are there many opportunities for good D.A. internships? State Attorney General offices etc? I'd be interested in Bloomington but wonder what opportunities there are coming out of there to the public sector esp b/c Bloomington doesn't seem like a criminal hotspot

Do many end up in Indiapolis? Chicago? Any idea?

Thanks.


I may not be qualified to answer since I am no longer an IU student, but there are externships as well as Trial Ad and clinics. Summer internships at DA's or AG's offices (or even USAO) are not that tough to get normally because they are not paid (but you can get credit + Fin aid). I know they also have http://www.law.indiana.edu/students/clinic/criminal.shtml during the year.

I'm not sure of the placement in Indy, but I would assume its probably pretty good for IU grads. Exit opportunities would obviously be better at a Indy then Bloomington and if you had a clerkship on top of that, it would be significantly easier. The good things about ADA is lots of trial experience, so obviously this can be a practical skill for litigation.

I know you didn't ask, but I'd add that USAO is much harder to get, and almost impossible right out of law school and likely requires top grades + Clerkship (although S.D. of Indiana and the Kentucky districts are not as competitive as major areas, but still tough).

More in the area where I have answers, there are at least 5 IU grads in CA as ADA's haha. It seems like most states make it significantly harder to do attorney searches for prosecutors.

And college towns get their own types of crimes. Lots of alcohol relates offenses in bloomington.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Bloomington doesn't seem like a criminal hotspot


I thought so too, until I checked the sex offender registry. EEK.

83947368
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby 83947368 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:17 pm

.
Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:14 am

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Thanks for the response. I really would like to get an ADA position after school and tho I didn't really expect it California would be coolest as it's where I currently am and was raised.


If you have any specific question on CA you can pm me. I also grew up in CA and transferred from IU to UCLA last year

KINGJV61
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby KINGJV61 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:03 pm

I love IUB Law. Great school.
Last edited by KINGJV61 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 pm

KINGJV61 wrote:I'm taking Criminal Law now as a 1L and I can't sleep at night because of the gruesome and horrific crimes that are covered in the class. I don't think CL is for me.

I'm from the east coast and I love IUB.


lol yes. But he was asking if Bloomington itself was a criminal hotspot




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests