Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:07 am

testmachine45 wrote:What was OCI like for you guys? How many people don't have jobs(last year, for example). What 5 markets are the biggest?


OCI is not good. As far as I know, everyone was employed last year. I dunno about 5 biggest markets, but we seem to do well in Indy, Chicago, Louisville, New York (I think), and DC. Or at least I hear about those most often. Maybe Ohio factors in there somewhere, but I haven't seen it or heard about it very much.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:04 pm

I think one thing that could help IU outside of the midwest market, is somehow increasing name recognition.

I've been amazed by the amount of interviews I had where the attorneys thought IU was a lower ranked school. From questions like what tier is Indiana, to what is Maurer school of law, or just general shock when I say IU is 27 under USNWR. Maybe its CA attorneys that just don't pay attention, but it makes me wonder if a lot of the legal world is just completely lost.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby danquayle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:39 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I think one thing that could help IU outside of the midwest market, is somehow increasing name recognition.

I've been amazed by the amount of interviews I had where the attorneys thought IU was a lower ranked school. From questions like what tier is Indiana, to what is Maurer school of law, or just general shock when I say IU is 27 under USNWR. Maybe its CA attorneys that just don't pay attention, but it makes me wonder if a lot of the legal world is just completely lost.


They've been trying like mad to do that. I think thats part of what Maurer was about.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:42 pm

danquayle wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:I think one thing that could help IU outside of the midwest market, is somehow increasing name recognition.

I've been amazed by the amount of interviews I had where the attorneys thought IU was a lower ranked school. From questions like what tier is Indiana, to what is Maurer school of law, or just general shock when I say IU is 27 under USNWR. Maybe its CA attorneys that just don't pay attention, but it makes me wonder if a lot of the legal world is just completely lost.


They've been trying like mad to do that. I think thats part of what Maurer was about.


Yeah, its not something that can be done quick im sure too.

I will say some firms eat up the legal profession class stuff, the working in groups developing a more firm oriented skill-set stuff.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:00 pm

testmachine45 wrote:What 5 markets are the biggest?


For '09 it was Indy, Bloomington, Chicago, DC, California

*Although, I don't know if you'd count Bloomington as a its own market, and the California number is for the whole state.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:07 pm

testmachine45 wrote:What 5 markets are the biggest?


Sure as heck ain't anywhere in the south. A fairly thorough search of partners and associates at NLJ250 firms in Atlanta, New Orleans and Charlotte found less than 10 alumni total in those three cities. It's going to make it hard on me.

Suffice it to say, if you don't want to practice in the midwest, you might want to look elsewhere.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Following up to say: of course, you have to look at self-selection. A lot of people go to IU because they want to work in the midwest. It's not impossible to get out, though. Having a strong alumni base in various cities and regions would help, though, if it existed.

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby RMstratosphere » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:13 pm

superflush wrote:
testmachine45 wrote:What 5 markets are the biggest?


For '09 it was Indy, Bloomington, Chicago, DC, California

*Although, I don't know if you'd count Bloomington as a its own market, and the California number is for the whole state.


Where did you get these stats?

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:56 pm

danquayle wrote:
They've been trying like mad to do that. I think thats part of what Maurer was about.


And so no one confuses us with IU-Indy.

I think name recognition would help, but I don't know how far the grads tend to travel. I think national name appeal could be better, obviously.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
danquayle wrote:
They've been trying like mad to do that. I think thats part of what Maurer was about.


And so no one confuses us with IU-Indy.

I think name recognition would help, but I don't know how far the grads tend to travel. I think national name appeal could be better, obviously.


I think the name actually confuses people. I had to say Bobby Knight about 20 times when people asked which Indiana was "Maurer school of law".

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:47 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:
danquayle wrote:
They've been trying like mad to do that. I think thats part of what Maurer was about.


And so no one confuses us with IU-Indy.

I think name recognition would help, but I don't know how far the grads tend to travel. I think national name appeal could be better, obviously.


I think the name actually confuses people. I had to say Bobby Knight about 20 times when people asked which Indiana was "Maurer school of law".


Wow. So how are interviews at UCLA? Is the grass over there as green as we think it is?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:

Wow. So how are interviews at UCLA? Is the grass over there as green as we think it is?


We had a lot of firms come. And if you were top 1/3 or so it seemed like things went really well.

Personally i had a lot of screening interviews, but I think a lot of the big big CA firms do not know what to do with IU grades. I have a pretty large stack of rejections but I think/hope I'll end up in a good place.

agentcom
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:59 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby agentcom » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Hey Kings -

How bout that Lincecum kid? Man he was just on fire the other night.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby superflush » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:08 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
superflush wrote:
testmachine45 wrote:What 5 markets are the biggest?


For '09 it was Indy, Bloomington, Chicago, DC, California

*Although, I don't know if you'd count Bloomington as a its own market, and the California number is for the whole state.


Where did you get these stats?


From the website: http://apps.law.indiana.edu/careers/where-are-they-now/

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 pm

agentcom wrote:Hey Kings -

How bout that Lincecum kid? Man he was just on fire the other night.


Yeah seriously, I was pretty pumped about it. Now hopefully they can win a couple more games and we can see Lincecum face Halladay in game one of the NLCS

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby RMstratosphere » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 pm

1Ls get to submit a preference for our Con Law professor: Baude, Conkle, Johnsen, and Williams.
Can we please have some feedback, helpful hints, and tips from upper class folks?
Thanks in advance.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Here is a hint: Not Baaude.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:46 am

RMstratosphere wrote:1Ls get to submit a preference for our Con Law professor: Baude, Conkle, Johnsen, and Williams.
Can we please have some feedback, helpful hints, and tips from upper class folks?
Thanks in advance.


The little i know about Johnsen is she was Obama's appointment for legal counsel, but never got confirmed.

WIlliams is super smart and a great lecturer and makes con law very simple. Fairly socratic, we had a pretty big class, but I would imagine with 4 sections it would be even more socratic. You will learn tons from him.
He specializes in constitutional design, federalism, 2nd amendment.

The cons for Williams is he teaches a lot of his own views on Con law, which make a lot of sense and are very interesting, however they are not really the actual law. That being said con law is about the least used subject in practice for most lawyers so its not the end of the world. His unique views also make chemerinsky or any other supplement completely pointless or even harmful.

iambeautiful
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iambeautiful » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey guys!

I am extremely interested in IUB, my PS and DS are tailored specifically towards IUB. I even wrote a why IUB essay. What else can done to improve my chances? My numbers are at below median.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:42 pm

iambeautiful wrote:Hey guys!

I am extremely interested in IUB, my PS and DS are tailored specifically towards IUB. I even wrote a why IUB essay. What else can done to improve my chances? My numbers are at below median.


How low is low? Honestly, I'd retake the LSAT in December (or even February). That 164+ is incredibly huge, unless you have a 3.7+ gpa.

gatorhoosier
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby gatorhoosier » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:02 am

Why not Baude?
Any thoughts on Conkle?

iambeautiful
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby iambeautiful » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:07 am

Bankhead wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:Hey guys!

I am extremely interested in IUB, my PS and DS are tailored specifically towards IUB. I even wrote a why IUB essay. What else can done to improve my chances? My numbers are at below median.


How low is low? Honestly, I'd retake the LSAT in December (or even February). That 164+ is incredibly huge, unless you have a 3.7+ gpa.



Thanks! I will retake then.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 am

Baude: Just trust me.

Conkle: I heard Conkle was good, but he didn't teach last year so no current 2L will have feedback. I'd go with Williams, personally. I had his wife for Property and thought she was excellent -- I understand that they have very similar teaching styles.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:43 am

Bankhead wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:Hey guys!

I am extremely interested in IUB, my PS and DS are tailored specifically towards IUB. I even wrote a why IUB essay. What else can done to improve my chances? My numbers are at below median.


How low is low? Honestly, I'd retake the LSAT in December (or even February). That 164+ is incredibly huge, unless you have a 3.7+ gpa.


It did seem to be huge on LSN and everything, but I have several friends who had 160- scores. I think the cutoff might not have been as extreme as LSN would have you believe.

Although, if they are wise, they will try to raise admissions numbers this year.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:32 pm

^ Your friends likely had high GPAs though, right? That poster said she had sub median numbers, which I took to mean she had both LSAT and GPA below the median, which is never a good combo. Even assuming admission, there is also something to be said about getting a large scholarship at a school where the median starting salary isn't that high. This can be achieved most easily by getting a high LSAT.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests