Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
narkizopoint

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby narkizopoint » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:42 pm

got the book list for the summer start, any good advice on scoring the the case book for cheap? Amazon has it at ~130.00, is that pretty standard or should I look elsewhere? Also it says get the 11th addition, if I can find a cheap 10th is that a no-no?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Wow, for some reason I thought you were a 3L.

ChewbaccaDefense

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:59 pm

narkizopoint wrote:got the book list for the summer start, any good advice on scoring the the case book for cheap? Amazon has it at ~130.00, is that pretty standard or should I look elsewhere? Also it says get the 11th addition, if I can find a cheap 10th is that a no-no?

I'm not doing summer start, but I have been looking at book prices to see what the differences are between the bookstore and Amazon/other internet retailers. I haven't seen too much of a difference between Amazon and the bookstore when it comes to casebooks (I've only checked a few). Supplements might be another story.

I've seen a lot of people mention getting older casebooks in the "what I would do differently" thread, but the current students might provide some better insight.

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Do people buy new versions? I've bought the oldest/cheapest versions of the books that I can find. There aren't really any new cases or anything like that. Sometimes they will put in a new case, but you can just google it. The differences, if any, are very minimal.

I've noticed that some professors don't even like teaching some of the newer cases, as they have taught the older ones for years. The new cases aren't necessarily better either, but are just "updated" such as the difference of a cell phone being stolen as opposed to a pager. It illustrates the same thing.

To the question about summer start, I took it and I would highly recommend it. Especially since crimpro is 1L's only, you don't put yourself at any sort of disadvantage by doing it. It's been covered pretty well in this thread, but if you have questions about it go ahead and write them out.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:01 pm

wow gradddddessss!!!!!

anyone know when rank is out?

Edit: well at least Krishnan and Steele that is :)

So what I learned 1L year, the theoretical classes that are least applicable, Con Law and Crim Law are not my forte, no matter how much I actually enjoy the class as a whole.

Fiction

Postby Fiction » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 am

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChewbaccaDefense

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:11 am

Fiction wrote:So...again, anyone take the Summer Start program? Yea or Nay?

First (assuming you're enrolled), welcome to the group. Second, if you use the advanced search to search only this thread, you'll find a TON of takes on the summer start program. From memory, a lot of people liked it, but there were some concerns about the program as well (burnout, mostly).

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:28 am

The major problem with the summer start was the inevitable result that during the first semester you would end up in a class with 2L's and 3L's (criminal procedure replaces the Torts class already completed in the summer), and get slaughtered grade-wise. This problem has since been rectified.

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 pm

I'd go Yea, especially with Crimpro being 1L's only. No reason not to do it.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:40 am

Spoonmanners wrote:

I'd go Yea, especially with Crimpro being 1L's only. No reason not to do it.

As a non summer starters I second this, I kinda wish deep inside that I did it haha.

although this could be a possible double up of Hoffman.

It would be nice to have one exam out of the way and more relaxation at the beginning of the year.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:59 am

So Symplicity is gonna have the OCI Firms up next week, it should be interesting to see how many firms are gonna show up.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:51 am

Oooh yeah, that will be interesting.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:23 pm

That's a pretty good curve!

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Curve? I still can't find any for Spring.

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on Bloom and Millennium apartments? Are these considered more undergraduate places? I'm here in Bloomington now searching and a lot of places have already been snatched up (you were right jay electronica). Bloom and Millennium don't seem bad, but I don't want to be stuck at party central apts. Thanks guys.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Spoon -- the percentage table that was e-mailed to us today.

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:12 pm

SportsFanatic wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Bloom and Millennium apartments? Are these considered more undergraduate places? I'm here in Bloomington now searching and a lot of places have already been snatched up (you were right jay electronica). Bloom and Millennium don't seem bad, but I don't want to be stuck at party central apts. Thanks guys.

I would think Bloom is too far out to be a undergrad place. I have actually never came across it. I heard a few general negative things if they are the ones who purport to have environmental apartments. I may be mixing it up with Millennium though.

But yeah, it's a college town. All the good stuff is gone before June.

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Bankhead wrote:Spoon -- the percentage table that was e-mailed to us today.

Oh, yeah. I was surprised. It was a hell of a curve.

ChewbaccaDefense

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Bloom and Millennium apartments? Are these considered more undergraduate places? I'm here in Bloomington now searching and a lot of places have already been snatched up (you were right jay electronica). Bloom and Millennium don't seem bad, but I don't want to be stuck at party central apts. Thanks guys.

I would think Bloom is too far out to be a undergrad place. I have actually never came across it. I heard a few general negative things if they are the ones who purport to have environmental apartments. I may be mixing it up with Millennium though.

But yeah, it's a college town. All the good stuff is gone before June.

From what I gathered, party central is north and east of campus. I think you'd be a-okay with Millenium apartments, which look pretty darn spiffy.

Also, I just got a call yesterday from one of the PMs with CS Management letting me know that a vacancy just opened up at Poolside, which is a stone's throw from the law school. If you call them up, you might be able to snag it (they have a list running).

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Good Lord that curve just made my day. I think its middle imploded or something. wayyy better then the last two years. Im guessing we all just beat the hell out of each other or something.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Yeah, increased sparring at the top end. It levels out to normal after top 25% or so.

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!! Any suggestions on other places I should check out while I'm here (other then poolside). So far I've seen the following with no luck:

Steeplechase
The Fields
The Crest
Millennium
Bloom

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:09 pm

http://info.law.indiana.edu/news/page/normal/14624.html

I find this pretty fascinating, Maybe Tinder can join him and we can have 2 seventh circuit Judges on campus

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:21 am

so quick question, Im not writing htis to come off as pretentious so full apologies if I do.

With the ranking out now, I have a lil bit of a better idea on transfer options.

So as someone who is not super interested in Biglaw, I want it to be an option but not necessairly top priority what are your thoughts on the following?

Staying at IU: I have a half scholly (maybe they would move it up if I ask? Ive heard schools give fin aid to potential transfers at least), I graded on Law review, keep my class rank, be comfortable and around friends, and not ruin potential Clerkship Recs from profs.

The downside is I probably wanna work in CA, and with my job now in Fed court in CA, any firm IU would feed into would see me as a flight risk (and I would be).

Transferring: Obviously the potential bonus of better OCI and opportunities, placing better in CA, but it would cost wayyy more, lose rank, lose Law review (though Id have a chance to Write on), lose clerkship recs.

My thoughts now are anything Berkeley and above is too much to pass on, but I don't think I would below that, but im unstable and insecure haha, so any thoughts are appreciated.

and once again this isn't meant to brag in any way, so apologies to anyone who knows who I am in real life, I know there are a lot of lurkers out there

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 am

Warning: Thoughts and opinions of a 0L follow

Agree with the nothing below Berkely because you are giving up your scholly, rank, review, etc. etc. Try to get the boost in scholarship if you land a spot in some other schools.

I think if you keep cultivating contacts in your home state you should be pretty cool since you aren't that interested in Biglaw (and even if you were) and you are already working in CA. I think your performance in Cali will be a great advertisement to the local legal community, no? I am lucky in that I have a couple contacts out here that will at least land me an interview/internship if OCI/Grades/Economy doesn't pan out for me in the midwestern region during 1L/2L summer. Networking for the last two years will hopefully pay off this way so I may end up in your position (hopefully gradewise) too.

Even from the tone of your pros/cons sounds like you aren't too keen on transferring. Best of luck in whatever happens, hope you get a scholarship boost in any effect because of your grades.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”