Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby danquayle » Tue May 11, 2010 11:49 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Sue's prop class is another one where a supp. is useless.

I booked civ pro and I thank the Glannon Guide. I found Shreve's book to be good, but too longwinded. The E&E was so disorganized that I couldn't make sense of it.

I'm talking about for Geyh's class -- I'd assume that Shreve's book would be the best supp. for Shreve's class but I didn't have him.


Shreve himself is very longwinded as well haha.
He really basically lectures out of that thing.


The best way to study for shreve is just to do his practice tests over and over again...

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Tue May 11, 2010 11:57 pm

I recommend only using 1 supplement per class, and actually reading the casebook. I'm sure some people will disagree with me though.

Supplements by prof (names misspelled on purpose to avoid search results):

Boskoff (Contracts) - Sum and Substance ("Boskoff bible").

Hiedt (Torts) - Glannon Guide to Torts

Gyeh (Civ) - Glannon Guide to Civ Pro

Hoff (Crim)- none

S. William (prop) - none

Baudde (Con) - Chemerinsky treatise

Legal Profession - Siegels exam questions and answers

fornutob
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:26 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby fornutob » Wed May 12, 2010 1:02 pm

I have a question...I just got accepted to IU Bloomington today. Now I'm so confused, life was easy until now!!! lol

If I go to IU, I will probably be getting grades in the middle of the pack because I'm right at the median scores, etc according to admission stats. IU costs me $40K first year (unless their acceptance package has a scholarship when it arrives, but I doubt it this late in the cycle) and possibly $20K the later years because my fiance is an Indianapolis native and we plan on living there after school.

Cincinnati costs me $15K because I get in-state tuition right away and I received a small scholarship. There I would theoretically be near the top of the class because my LSAT score is near the top of their admissions stats, so if the LSAT is all its touts itself to be, I could be top 5% of students. Cincy will give merit increases to your scholarship for L2 and L3 if appropriate, so it may even cost me less for the last 2 years.

What is the better option? I'm 31, have worked in the corporate world for 7 years, so when I come out I'll have some job experience, but I can't come out of school with so much debt that I can't have children for 5 years. Also, I went to the number 4 college for undergrad and frankly, it was exhausting...so exhausting...I worked so hard just to be average. Of course, I'm in a different place now as far as intellect and motivation goes, but though there are advantages to being a small fish in a big pond, I wouldn't mind being a small fish in a slightly smaller pond.

Thoughts? Flip a coin?
I have a 165 LSAT How many hours a week would my sort of person have to study to be in the top half of their class? How much do you love IU Bloomington? Is it worth it? HOw are the job prospects for graduates who are in the bottom half of their [super genius T-25] class?
Last edited by fornutob on Wed May 12, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utswdukie80
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby utswdukie80 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm actually in a very similar predicament with IU-B and a school similar to Cinci. First, you can't rely on LSAT/UGPA to predict how you'll do in law school and where you'll finish in your class, regardless of the school's ranking. Second, what are the job prospects for students coming out of Cinci (I really don't know)? You can try to minimize your debt as much as possible, but if you can't get a legal job then what's the point of going to law school? Lastly, you shouldn't go with the mindset that if you go to a lower-ranked school you won't work as hard. From everything I've read and everyone I've talked to, you're going to work your ass off your first year, regardless of the school. Just some food for thought.

fornutob wrote:I have a question...I just got accepted to IU Bloomington today. Now I'm so confused, life was easy until now!!! lol

If I go to IU, I will probably be getting grades in the middle of the pack because I'm right at the median scores, etc according to admission stats. IU costs me $40K first year (unless their acceptance package has a scholarship when it arrives, but I doubt it this late in the cycle) and possibly $20K the later years because my fiance is an Indianapolis native and we plan on living there after school.

Cincinnati costs me $15K because I get in-state tuition right away and I received a small scholarship. There I would theoretically be near the top of the class because my LSAT score is near the top of their admissions stats, so if the LSAT is all its touts itself to be, I could be top 5% of students. Cincy will give merit increases to your scholarship for L2 and L3 if appropriate, so it may even cost me less for the last 2 years.

What is the better option? I'm 31, have worked in the corporate world for 7 years, so when I come out I'll have some job experience, but I can't come out of school with so much debt that I can't have children for 5 years. Also, I went to the number 4 college for undergrad and frankly, it was exhausting...so exhausting...I worked so hard just to be average. Of course, I'm in a different place now as far as intellect and motivation goes, but though there are advantages to being a small fish in a big pond, I wouldn't mind being a small fish in a slightly smaller pond.

Thoughts? Flip a coin?

User avatar
Jay-Electronica
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Jay-Electronica » Wed May 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Any of you 1L's know anyone working in the USAO for the summer?

fornutob
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:26 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby fornutob » Wed May 12, 2010 5:12 pm

utswdukie80 wrote:Lastly, you shouldn't go with the mindset that if you go to a lower-ranked school you won't work as hard. From everything I've read and everyone I've talked to, you're going to work your ass off your first year, regardless of the school. Just some food for thought.


well I would work just as hard at both for sure--I plan on being a study freak! the difference is where In the pack I would find myself at the end of all that work....

Cincy is really good I think, ranked like 50-something. Small classes, sounds awesome.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby superflush » Wed May 12, 2010 8:18 pm

fornutob, look into the tuition thing. Are you sure you could get in-state? Do you live in Indiana now?

Fiction
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Fiction » Fri May 14, 2010 4:29 pm

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Fri May 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Yes, ask them to match. They are good about that.

Be nice about it. I don't have specific advice on how to approach them about them. I guess just say I'd prefer Indiana, but the cost does not make it feasible for me without the scholarship.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby superflush » Sat May 15, 2010 5:22 am

Fiction wrote:I am torn right now between Case Western Reserve and IU-Bloomington. Right now Case is offering me a $15k scholarship...does anyone think there is any chance of me getting a scholarship to IU if I ask? If I do ask, what would the best way to go about doing it? Email? Phone? And what would I say?


Ask, email, attach the Case offer.
But at this point, it is very unlikely.

Fiction
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Fiction » Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Sat May 15, 2010 1:04 pm

I simply told them on the phone about my offer from Temple -- and they matched.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby superflush » Sat May 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Bankhead wrote:I simply told them on the phone about my offer from Temple -- and they matched.


When though?

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Sat May 15, 2010 6:24 pm

June-ish.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby superflush » Sun May 16, 2010 4:30 am

Bankhead wrote:June-ish.


So, June of last year?
I'm going to say that last year they were less strapped for cash than they are now.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Fri May 21, 2010 12:02 am

the grades are coming in. Williams (and LRW) just posted. Good luck guys.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Fri May 21, 2010 1:07 am

wish i would have read this first, i hate getting surprised with grades.

I have a bad feeling about this semester.

The Williams are going to Burma, so it makes sense theirs are early

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby superflush » Fri May 21, 2010 2:09 am

kings84_wr wrote:wish i would have read this first, i hate getting surprised with grades.

I have a bad feeling about this semester.


Have you put transfer apps in already?

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri May 21, 2010 10:09 am

Well, I have my semi-legitimate excuse for that grade. Just sad because I don't think LP or Property are going to be my saving grace this semester.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri May 21, 2010 10:56 am

Good luck to the 1Ls with your grades!

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Mulliganstew » Fri May 21, 2010 12:37 pm

Bankhead wrote:the grades are coming in. Williams (and LRW) just posted. Good luck guys.


Susan Williams? My student center doesn't have that grade yet. (I've had LRW for a while).

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Fri May 21, 2010 3:17 pm

No, I meant David. I don't have that class but I had friends tell me that it was up. I have a feeling we'll get Susan tonight, Mulligan, and 'wina.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Fri May 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:Good luck to the 1Ls with your grades!


Your the 1L, we are all 2L's. :lol:

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Fri May 21, 2010 4:01 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:Good luck to the 1Ls with your grades!


Your the 1L, we are all 2L's. :lol:


kind of surreal...

ChewbaccaDefense
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Fri May 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Just signed a lease for a new place. I'm kicking up my very blistered heels at Nicks with a glass of BBC (not bad!) and I thought I'd tap out a few thoughts on housing for the few 0L's still looking for places.

I'm coming to IU w/o a car, mostly to save money and partlybecause I like not having one. As a result, I limited my search to 1 mile from the school. I really liked the area between Indiana and walnut, and 6th and 10th. Mostly residential, quick to walk to the school and low-traffic streets to bike on when going to bloomingfoods. Also, easy access to the IU gym.

However, if I had a car, I'd definitely spring for the nicer communities on the outskirts of town. They are pretty posh and don't break the bank. Also, there seems to be decent parking options (garages) near the school.

As I write this, there are several decent places still on the market. They are:

403 east 10th st. 4 or 5 apts available. Thru hallmark properties.
520 n grant st. 1 left. Thru campus walk apts.
421 e 3rd st. 2 left. Thru Parker real estate.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138 and 3 guests