Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby danquayle » Sat May 08, 2010 6:36 pm

superflush wrote:Not that this banking talk isn't tons of fun, but i'm gonna throw out another question for 1Ls:
Do you guys know if they ever tweak scholarships for people after their 1L year (ie, give some money to someone who had no money their 1L year or giver someone who had a partial scholarship some more money if they've done very well their 1st year)?


Only heard of it in instances where people consider transferring. Eg., one guy who transferred to UVA was offered a full ride if he stayed. And I've never paid any fees for Chase. :)

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Sat May 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Damn, I really wish I had held out for all these unpaid biglaw summer associate positions... I'd much rather be doing that and making connections than what I signed up to do; even unpaid. (not like i'm getting paid now either...)

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby superflush » Sat May 08, 2010 8:18 pm

danquayle wrote:Only heard of it in instances where people consider transferring. Eg., one guy who transferred to UVA was offered a full ride if he stayed. And I've never paid any fees for Chase. :)


Okay, that makes sense.
(you must have never spend several months in Europe, 8) )

Regarding transfers, in particular what kingswr was talking about earlier, where are you getting that transfer data. Is there some place where it is made public or is it just known particular instances?

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat May 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Bankhead wrote:Damn, I really wish I had held out for all these unpaid biglaw summer associate positions... I'd much rather be doing that and making connections than what I signed up to do; even unpaid. (not like i'm getting paid now either...)


Yeah, but WTF, those jobs are finally opening up the last week or two? Makes little sense to me. If they are looking for top 1/3rd or top 1/2 or whatever it was, they have all gotten internships!

Kinda mad, even though it's in Indy, I would have liked to work at a firm.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat May 08, 2010 9:23 pm

superflush wrote:
danquayle wrote:Only heard of it in instances where people consider transferring. Eg., one guy who transferred to UVA was offered a full ride if he stayed. And I've never paid any fees for Chase. :)


Okay, that makes sense.
(you must have never spend several months in Europe, 8) )

Regarding transfers, in particular what kingswr was talking about earlier, where are you getting that transfer data. Is there some place where it is made public or is it just known particular instances?


You can check lsac.org on the schools profiles for transfer ins and outs.

What Quayle said was consistent with what I have heard. Schools would rather dish out money to new recruits that have numbers going to the rankings, and will usually only give out more money if you are working a transfer. If I find out anything, I will let the board know how it goes. According to old TLS posts, most schools do not like doing it.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat May 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Damn, I really wish I had held out for all these unpaid biglaw summer associate positions... I'd much rather be doing that and making connections than what I signed up to do; even unpaid. (not like i'm getting paid now either...)


Yeah, but WTF, those jobs are finally opening up the last week or two? Makes little sense to me. If they are looking for top 1/3rd or top 1/2 or whatever it was, they have all gotten internships!

Kinda mad, even though it's in Indy, I would have liked to work at a firm.


So what's this about biglaw positions opening up?

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat May 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
So what's this about biglaw positions opening up?


Well, as much as Indy can be "biglaw", they are trying to get some people to fill in for firms. And it was pretty last minute, so I have certain plans I have already traveled for. Anyways, apparently applications were light because they extended the deadline. Had they done this about two weeks prior, I would have applied. Either way, there are plenty of opportunities for firms, but you will probably need some good grades. And I dunno, check with OCPD about more possible ones coming later.

Can't complain too much, they got me my internship.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat May 08, 2010 10:50 pm

I just ask because, while I want to keep as many options open as possible, firm work is something I might want to pursue, and I've heard it a thousand times that IU is targeted less than many of its peers. If people are indeed getting opportunities at firms in their 1L summers (even if unpaid), it's a good sign to me.

My dream 1L job is still the DOD Honors Program, though. (link)

User avatar
SportsFanatic
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby SportsFanatic » Sun May 09, 2010 12:11 am

Spoonmanners wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:
So what's this about biglaw positions opening up?


Well, as much as Indy can be "biglaw", they are trying to get some people to fill in for firms. And it was pretty last minute, so I have certain plans I have already traveled for. Anyways, apparently applications were light because they extended the deadline. Had they done this about two weeks prior, I would have applied. Either way, there are plenty of opportunities for firms, but you will probably need some good grades. And I dunno, check with OCPD about more possible ones coming later.

Can't complain too much, they got me my internship.


I'm sorry, what is OCPD?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sun May 09, 2010 3:22 am

For transfer data the lsac link Spoon cited above has the numbers of transfers matriculated in and out of schools. the yahoo transer apps has a general LSN type data. And the rest I have just heard from talking to 2l's from last year about who left and such.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby superflush » Sun May 09, 2010 6:56 am

SportsFanatic wrote:I'm sorry, what is OCPD?


Follow them on twitter and see what happens: http://twitter.com/IUMaurerOCPD

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Threepeat » Sun May 09, 2010 8:46 am

SportsFanatic wrote:
I'm sorry, what is OCPD?


On Campus Police Department...duh.

User avatar
NatSec
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby NatSec » Mon May 10, 2010 9:11 am

Vincent Vega wrote:I just ask because, while I want to keep as many options open as possible, firm work is something I might want to pursue, and I've heard it a thousand times that IU is targeted less than many of its peers. If people are indeed getting opportunities at firms in their 1L summers (even if unpaid), it's a good sign to me.

My dream 1L job is still the DOD Honors Program, though. (link)



damn! and here I thought I was the only one that knew about it!

ChewbaccaDefense
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Tue May 11, 2010 1:15 pm

To the 1Ls here, when did you find out your fall semester class schedule, or at least which professors/section you were assigned? I'd like to use some of my free time this summer to get the jump on figuring out which supplements might match up well with the required books assigned, reach out to a few 2Ls and 3Ls for outlines, look at a few of the profs' practice exams, etc.

I don't really care much about understanding this material; I just want to have it primed and ready to go, rather than trying to hunt it down when I'm already in classes.

Also, who were some of your favorite professors? What did you like about them? Any you didn't like? Why?

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Tue May 11, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm not sure when you get your schedule, but they don't give you a lot of heads up. And the professor will not usually update their syllabus very early, so you may have to guess at what books you will use. It should be certain that you will have Torts-Criminal Law-Contracts-and Civil Procedure.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby danquayle » Tue May 11, 2010 3:11 pm

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:To the 1Ls here, when did you find out your fall semester class schedule, or at least which professors/section you were assigned? I'd like to use some of my free time this summer to get the jump on figuring out which supplements might match up well with the required books assigned, reach out to a few 2Ls and 3Ls for outlines, look at a few of the profs' practice exams, etc.

I don't really care much about understanding this material; I just want to have it primed and ready to go, rather than trying to hunt it down when I'm already in classes.

Also, who were some of your favorite professors? What did you like about them? Any you didn't like? Why?


I'd honestly suggest doing nothing over your pre-law school summer. You should go into law school with as much of a blank slate as you can. Just memory dump.

ChewbaccaDefense
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Tue May 11, 2010 3:35 pm

danquayle wrote:
ChewbaccaDefense wrote:To the 1Ls here, when did you find out your fall semester class schedule, or at least which professors/section you were assigned? I'd like to use some of my free time this summer to get the jump on figuring out which supplements might match up well with the required books assigned, reach out to a few 2Ls and 3Ls for outlines, look at a few of the profs' practice exams, etc.

I don't really care much about understanding this material; I just want to have it primed and ready to go, rather than trying to hunt it down when I'm already in classes.

Also, who were some of your favorite professors? What did you like about them? Any you didn't like? Why?


I'd honestly suggest doing nothing over your pre-law school summer. You should go into law school with as much of a blank slate as you can. Just memory dump.


I'm not really concerned with learning any material; I picked out a few things to read between now and then, but most of it is more geared to getting my head back into learning mode (My way of memory-dumping; I'm 6 years removed from undergrad). I'm trying to get an idea of what I'll need and to have it ready for when I want it. However, it looks like I won't be able to do that until close to the last minute.

However, I'd still really like to hear some opinions of the various 1L profs. Shreve intrigues me, in particular. Anybody care to share some thoughts?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Tue May 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Definietly don't do too much 0l prep or burnout will kill you. I would say mabye do a test prep if you wanted to get ahead of the game like LEEWS or getting to mabye. Or read a legal writing book, like Volokh, I wish I read his book before school.

I think we found out about classes about 2 weeks before the start of school, mabye like mid-august, i was defineitely alaredy moved to Bloomington at that point.

You won't be able to tell from the books assigned what supps work with the profs, its really alllll about the prof teaching style.

To save you some time i can say my decisions on supps based on profs.

For civ pro if you have Shreve get His supplement Understanding Civ Pro and probably get the E and E. Shreve just wants to hear himself back on the exam so his supp helps a lot.

My personal thoughts on shreve: Hes a nice guy that really likes civ pro, He loves to tell stories, especially about his litigation career, or clerking for the district judge and helping write Roe v. Wade as a clerk. Civ pro can be a bit monotonous at times becasue of the subject matter, but in general it was not that bad.

for Crim Law if you have HOffman, no idea what to get, his class it too unique, Dressler is big around TLS, but it seemed like it was a waste of time mainly.

For Torts, if you have heidt, I liked the E and E, I also used Dobbs HB, but really Heidt gives you so much material and its pretty unique at times that once again you really need his own veiew. So you can take the e and e or the HB and leanr the stuff, but make sure you use his own way of teaching.

and K's, Boshkoff, I used every possible supplement, his old sum and substance or some people call it hte BOshkoff bible did help, but I used the e and e, Chirelstein, Calamari and Perrillo, and every prac exam possible. I wasn't super confident in contracts early on so I overworked the class, and then ended up booking it.

2nd semester Propert- Krishnan, I have no idea, basically all of them, he seemed to love gilberts and Emmanuels, the e and e is good, and Understanding property helped a lot.

Con Law- Williams, Chemerisnky is great, but WIlliams really gives you everythign you need, so I would say get an old oultine from a 2l or 3l and just use that and really focus on WIlliams version of things.

Legal Prof- Steele, I would say there really is nothing super helpful with this, you can get a commericial outline that will help at times, but really its not all that good. the e and e is pretty bland as well.

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Mulliganstew » Tue May 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Geyh recommends Shreve's book too FWIW. I have no idea about Orelstein, but it's probably a safe bet either way.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Tue May 11, 2010 4:23 pm

For Heidt, use no supplement except The Glannon Guide to Torts (it is keyed to the casebook that Heidt uses, and Heidt actually recommends it).

The E&E doesn't really cut it, except possibly for the Intentional Torts part of the course -- which you shouldn't need too much help with anyway.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Bankhead wrote:For Heidt, use no supplement except The Glannon Guide to Torts (it is keyed to the casebook that Heidt uses, and Heidt actually recommends it).

The E&E doesn't really cut it, except possibly for the Intentional Torts part of the course -- which you shouldn't need too much help with anyway.


Yeah thats basically what I used it for haha, it also helped clarify the extra reading stuff like vicaroius and joint liability, and some of the duty stuff when we got going really fast at the end. Did you use anyhting for hoff?

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Tue May 11, 2010 4:40 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
Bankhead wrote:For Heidt, use no supplement except The Glannon Guide to Torts (it is keyed to the casebook that Heidt uses, and Heidt actually recommends it).

The E&E doesn't really cut it, except possibly for the Intentional Torts part of the course -- which you shouldn't need too much help with anyway.


Yeah thats basically what I used it for haha, it also helped clarify the extra reading stuff like vicaroius and joint liability, and some of the duty stuff when we got going really fast at the end. Did you use anyhting for hoff?


No supp works for Hoff at all. He doesn't even teach the common law crimes. It's all statutory interpretation. Read his text and take good in class notes. The BLL in his text is all you have to know.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Tue May 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Bankhead wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:
Bankhead wrote:For Heidt, use no supplement except The Glannon Guide to Torts (it is keyed to the casebook that Heidt uses, and Heidt actually recommends it).

The E&E doesn't really cut it, except possibly for the Intentional Torts part of the course -- which you shouldn't need too much help with anyway.


Yeah thats basically what I used it for haha, it also helped clarify the extra reading stuff like vicaroius and joint liability, and some of the duty stuff when we got going really fast at the end. Did you use anyhting for hoff?


No supp works for Hoff at all. He doesn't even teach the common law crimes. It's all statutory interpretation. Read his text and take good in class notes. The BLL in his text is all you have to know.


Yeah that was my experience too, just wondering if there was some hidden suppp out there haha. I think that Hoff and WIlliams for con law, ended up being very similar as far as the substnace matter.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Bankhead » Tue May 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Sue's prop class is another one where a supp. is useless.

I booked civ pro and I thank the Glannon Guide. I found Shreve's book to be good, but too longwinded. The E&E was so disorganized that I couldn't make sense of it.

I'm talking about for Geyh's class -- I'd assume that Shreve's book would be the best supp. for Shreve's class but I didn't have him.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Tue May 11, 2010 5:08 pm

Bankhead wrote:Sue's prop class is another one where a supp. is useless.

I booked civ pro and I thank the Glannon Guide. I found Shreve's book to be good, but too longwinded. The E&E was so disorganized that I couldn't make sense of it.

I'm talking about for Geyh's class -- I'd assume that Shreve's book would be the best supp. for Shreve's class but I didn't have him.


Shreve himself is very longwinded as well haha.
He really basically lectures out of that thing.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: asuddenarborealstop, BodieBroadus, lawlorbust and 5 guests