Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kings84_wr

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Thu May 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:lol

Seriously though I have this absurd skill of finding issues in exams with like 30 seconds left, and having to write incoherent outline of everything to gain some chance at points.

My word counts have gone up this semester but it feels like my grades will not haha.

Regardless, me and spoon at least are done with 1L year!!!

Goodluck for those of you in stake now, and Williams tonight

Woot! Feels refreshing!

And man, 30 seconds? I blew through that test so quickly I was sure I was missing something. Then other people started leaving... so I didn't feel as bad. Test wasn't all bad, but who cares? It's OVER!

So Kings, is this the end of your IU career?

You know I really have no idea, I dont feel all that confident this semester, then again i didn't last semester and grades are such a toss up really. I guess ill have a better idea in a 5 weeks or wehnever it takes to get grades back.

I think i probably sucked at problem 2 but 1 and 3 went alright (minus the issue i saw with 30 seconds left lol)

I got my lrw back today, and it made me laugh, I dont remember writing any of that stuff. hopefully its enouhg for a Pass haha.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Thu May 06, 2010 3:22 pm

you guys are so lucky to be finished. i have a feeling sue is going to eat me alive tonight!

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Thu May 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Bankhead wrote:you guys are so lucky to be finished. i have a feeling sue is going to eat me alive tonight!

lol, good luck with that cluster fuck hypo she writes. I heard horror stories.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Thu May 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
Bankhead wrote:you guys are so lucky to be finished. i have a feeling sue is going to eat me alive tonight!

lol, good luck with that cluster fuck hypo she writes. I heard horror stories.

i woke up this morning and overnight i completely forgot how to do RAP.

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Thu May 06, 2010 3:34 pm

Bankhead wrote:
i woke up this morning and overnight i completely forgot how to do RAP.

If it makes you feel better, the sun starts coming out at 6 AM. I can attest to that.

At least you guys get outlines. See everyone in 3.5 months. Good luck to those taking Williams tonight. I don't think Stake people need luck, it's multiple choice!

Mulliganstew

Postby Mulliganstew » Thu May 06, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going to fail this Property final. After looking at just how long my outline is, I feel prepared to say that there's no way I'm going to be able to remember everything and she told us that if we're looking up things in our outline during the test we're not going to finish. I'm hoping she leaves some things out like... I dunno... the entire section on homelessness, but that probably won't happen considering her love for all things theory.

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Thu May 06, 2010 6:06 pm

congrats to everyone finished with exams and good luck to those still fighting the battle.

Who do you all bank with? any suggestions? I was thinking of just going with Chase.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu May 06, 2010 6:10 pm

SportsFanatic wrote:congrats to everyone finished with exams and good luck to those still fighting the battle.

Who do you all bank with? any suggestions? I was thinking of just going with Chase.

Chase has the most convenient ATM location. I've always been pretty happy with them, and depending on where you want to travel, they have a pretty national distribution.

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Thu May 06, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu May 06, 2010 7:32 pm

SportsFanatic wrote:Who do you all bank with? any suggestions? I was thinking of just going with Chase.

You don't need to have a local bank. And you don't need ATMs.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Thu May 06, 2010 8:17 pm

danquayle wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:congrats to everyone finished with exams and good luck to those still fighting the battle.

Chase has the most convenient ATM location. I've always been pretty happy with them, and depending on where you want to travel, they have a pretty national distribution.

+1
I switched to Chase this summer

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu May 06, 2010 8:41 pm

superflush wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:Who do you all bank with? any suggestions? I was thinking of just going with Chase.

You don't need to have a local bank. And you don't need ATMs.

Of course you do. Makes everything much easier.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu May 06, 2010 8:50 pm

danquayle wrote:
superflush wrote:You don't need to have a local bank. And you don't need ATMs.

No. I haven't had a local bank account since I've been 16 or so. It hasn't been a problem, and I never pay for ATM fees, so I can use any ATM I want.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Thu May 06, 2010 8:53 pm

superflush wrote:
danquayle wrote:

No. I haven't had a local bank account since I've been 16 or so. It hasn't been a problem, and I never pay for ATM fees, so I can use any ATM I want.

How do you deposit checks? That was my biggest issue and why I opened a chase account. Everythign else was pretty easy.

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Thu May 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Man, what a heated discussion about banks.

As an important note, to top off finishing off our first year, we got the email about the note due to write on for the journal. Note is due in 2 weeks, 12 page limit, 12 copies. That includes plenty of stuff we never learned in LRW (I have already seen mention of footnotes being required).

This is like an infringing kick to my freedom balls. Or it's ruining the post-1L year happiness. Whatever.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 pm

superflush wrote:
danquayle wrote:

There are a lot of specialized things that having a bank nearby makes much easier. Besides, its nice to have an actual brick building to go to if an issue arises, especially for exceptional situations. I wouldn't really want to have to mail in any of the physical checks I get from time to time.

I guess its a preference, but I'd imagine most people consider having a local bank a necessity. I do most of my banking online, get paychecks electronically deposited and get most my bills auto debited. But I really don't pay any fees with Chase, so its not like I'm paying a premium for the ability to go in and bitch to someone in person if I have a problem. You always get better results in person. Always.

Chase is massive and widely used, its easy to connect the account to virtually every other online money management tool you might want to employ. It's also nice to go to one place to check both my bank and credit card statements. I know some online banks don't offer both. Sure, Chase and banks like it have tons of potential fees, but if you just pay attention and bank smart you won't ever end up paying any of them.

I just don't see any real advantage to not using a local bank... outside of being able to tell people you haven't had a local bank since you were 16.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:Man, what a heated discussion about banks.

As an important note, to top off finishing off our first year, we got the email about the note due to write on for the journal. Note is due in 2 weeks, 12 page limit, 12 copies. That includes plenty of stuff we never learned in LRW (I have already seen mention of footnotes being required).

This is like an infringing kick to my freedom balls. Or it's ruining the post-1L year happiness. Whatever.

did you guys get that handout that explained what to do with footnotes? you don't underline or somethign like that, I clearly don't remember now haha.

Im really debating whether I am gonna do the W/O on comp, Im gonna be on the road for about 50% of the time period. But my exams make me feel a little uneasy about counting on gradin on.

Also some of the transfer schools have W/O comps the 2nd week so even if i do try and write it while im cruising the country, I woudl have to pick between them.

Im still thinking Ill transfer, but man it would suck if i bombed this semester and didn't transfer or get on a journal.

when do spring grades normally come out? June?

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Thu May 06, 2010 11:21 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:Man, what a heated discussion about banks.

did you guys get that handout that explained what to do with footnotes? you don't underline or somethign like that, I clearly don't remember now haha.

Im really debating whether I am gonna do the W/O on comp, Im gonna be on the road for about 50% of the time period. But my exams make me feel a little uneasy about counting on gradin on.

Also some of the transfer schools have W/O comps the 2nd week so even if i do try and write it while im cruising the country, I woudl have to pick between them.

Im still thinking Ill transfer, but man it would suck if i bombed this semester and didn't transfer or get on a journal.

when do spring grades normally come out? June?

It sounds like it takes awhile to grade, but they don't make it easy to transfer.

Grades apparently take about the same amount of time, so I would assume in about 6 weeks. Then class rank is supposed to take a little longer.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri May 07, 2010 1:32 am

kings84_wr wrote:How do you deposit checks? That was my biggest issue and why I opened a chase account. Everythign else was pretty easy.

Either through the mail or on my iPhone (I can do it on my Nexus One too).

(I don't get a huge amount of checks though)

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri May 07, 2010 1:41 am

danquayle wrote:There are a lot of specialized things that having a bank nearby makes much easier. Besides, its nice to have an actual brick building to go to if an issue arises, especially for exceptional situations. I wouldn't really want to have to mail in any of the physical checks I get from time to time.

I guess its a preference, but I'd imagine most people consider having a local bank a necessity. I do most of my banking online, get paychecks electronically deposited and get most my bills auto debited. But I really don't pay any fees with Chase, so its not like I'm paying a premium for the ability to go in and bitch to someone in person if I have a problem. You always get better results in person. Always.

Chase is massive and widely used, its easy to connect the account to virtually every other online money management tool you might want to employ. It's also nice to go to one place to check both my bank and credit card statements. I know some online banks don't offer both. Sure, Chase and banks like it have tons of potential fees, but if you just pay attention and bank smart you won't ever end up paying any of them.

I just don't see any real advantage to not using a local bank... outside of being able to tell people you haven't had a local bank since you were 16.

Retail banking in brick-and-mortar banks (especially the big banks) is generally for fools.

You are paying a premium. You just don't realize it. Checkout Chase's fees vs. any of the banks I use. Does Chase refund your ATM fees? I bet they don't, in fact they probably charge you if you use someone else's ATM. What is the foreign transaction fee you pay. (I'm going to guess 3%). What is the interest rate that they pay you?

Also, the ability to connect an account is no big deal. Most banks use the same back-end.
Also, I far as being able to see everything at once, have you heard of Mint.com?
There is no way I'd be able to do everything I do at one bank, but that is what Mint is for.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Fri May 07, 2010 2:04 am

Dude, is that a Magic The Gathering Card?

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Fri May 07, 2010 10:13 am

superflush wrote:
danquayle wrote:There are a lot of specialized things that having a bank nearby makes much easier. Besides, its nice to have an actual brick building to go to if an issue arises, especially for exceptional situations. I wouldn't really want to have to mail in any of the physical checks I get from time to time.

Retail banking in brick-and-mortar banks (especially the big banks) is generally for fools.

You are paying a premium. You just don't realize it. Checkout Chase's fees vs. any of the banks I use. Does Chase refund your ATM fees? I bet they don't, in fact they probably charge you if you use someone else's ATM. What is the foreign transaction fee you pay. (I'm going to guess 3%). What is the interest rate that they pay you?

Also, the ability to connect an account is no big deal. Most banks use the same back-end.
Also, I far as being able to see everything at once, have you heard of Mint.com?
There is no way I'd be able to do everything I do at one bank, but that is what Mint is for.

Just curious, what bank do you use? I am aware of Mint and used it, but to my knowledge you can't transfer funds between accounts which I will need to do regularly. Having linked accounts online makes this easy. And as mentioned also transfer money to credit card too.

Mulliganstew

Postby Mulliganstew » Fri May 07, 2010 11:37 am

GordonBombay wrote:Dude, is that a Magic The Gathering Card?

Obviously not a real one. I'm a TLS regular (as you can tell from my pathetic amount of posts) and someone was making Magic cards of all the people who spend too much time in the lounge using their old avatars. Funny enough, I am a gigantic geek, but I've never played magic.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri May 07, 2010 12:24 pm

SportsFanatic wrote:
superflush wrote:Retail banking in brick-and-mortar banks (especially the big banks) is generally for fools.

Just curious, what bank do you use? I am aware of Mint and used it, but to my knowledge you can't transfer funds between accounts which I will need to do regularly. Having linked accounts online makes this easy. And as mentioned also transfer money to credit card too.

I use ING Direct, USAA, & Schwab.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat May 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Not that this banking talk isn't tons of fun, but i'm gonna throw out another question for 1Ls:
Do you guys know if they ever tweak scholarships for people after their 1L year (ie, give some money to someone who had no money their 1L year or giver someone who had a partial scholarship some more money if they've done very well their 1st year)?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”