Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:04 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:Boo. All of you still need to come out to Nick's tonight.


No kidding, WTF!

Are a bunch of you still planning to head out to Nick's? I'm thinking about it, but I am disappointed I can't drink for free.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Yeah, that's where we'll be.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:Yeah, that's where we'll be.


If they try stuffing you guys in the back room, go upstairs. The Hoosier Room is pretty slick and has way more room.

User avatar
Unjust Enrichment
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:Yeah, that's where we'll be.


If they try stuffing you guys in the back room, go upstairs. The Hoosier Room is pretty slick and has way more room.


Is this actually an official function of the Spring Law Day? Do they get put in a separate room? I'm just wondering if it will be difficult for us random 1Ls who aren't associated with SBA or anything to crash...

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:Yeah, that's where we'll be.


If they try stuffing you guys in the back room, go upstairs. The Hoosier Room is pretty slick and has way more room.


Is this actually an official function of the Spring Law Day? Do they get put in a separate room? I'm just wondering if it will be difficult for us random 1Ls who aren't associated with SBA or anything to crash...


They let anyone in last year. I doubt it would be a problem. Let me know if there's a good showing, I'm 50/50 on it right now.

User avatar
Unjust Enrichment
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
Unjust Enrichment wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:Yeah, that's where we'll be.


If they try stuffing you guys in the back room, go upstairs. The Hoosier Room is pretty slick and has way more room.


Is this actually an official function of the Spring Law Day? Do they get put in a separate room? I'm just wondering if it will be difficult for us random 1Ls who aren't associated with SBA or anything to crash...


They let anyone in last year. I doubt it would be a problem. Let me know if there's a good showing, I'm 50/50 on it right now.


I don't have your number so there wasn't really a way to let you know, but the turnout was just okay. I didn't last long obviously, since I'm posting this at 10:00.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:44 pm

Hopefully you guys had a good day and night visiting. Ive actually been sick today, so I missed out on all the festivities.

and its nice that indiana gets one team in the final four when its in Indy.

Also I wanted to correct a misstatement I made a few weeks ago. IU actually placed 16 in Clerkships last year, which is about 8 or 9% and is a lot higher then I had been previously told. this is much more on par with some of the other schools around (Illinois is 10%, Wisconsin 5%, Iowa 13%).

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:47 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Also I wanted to correct a misstatement I made a few weeks ago. IU actually placed 16 in Clerkships last year, which is about 8 or 9% and is a lot higher then I had been previously told. this is much more on par with some of the other schools around (Illinois is 10%, Wisconsin 5%, Iowa 13%).


Sounds more along the lines of what I would expect.

Also, UJ I sent you my number. I think I'm pretty terrible with handing it out.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:53 pm

and ive been on a research craze the last day, 8 people transferred out of IU last year.

I know my PGA mentioned, UT, Penn, UCLA, Vandy, as a few places and the transfer apps groups says at least one went to Harvard.

Not that Im advocating people leaving IU, but its some data that is out there.

This makes me wonder how this effects class rank? Its likely most of these 8 were in the top 20%.
So this would have a huge effect, essentially 8 out of the top 40 students are gone, that could really mean a huge jump for some people.

I wonder if the recalculate rank before OCI but after transfers? I mean this could be a theoretical 4 or 5 % boost.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:58 pm

kings84_wr wrote:and ive been on a research craze the last day, 8 people transferred out of IU last year.

I know my PGA mentioned, UT, Penn, UCLA, Vandy, as a few places and the transfer apps groups says at least one went to Harvard.

Not that Im advocating people leaving IU, but its some data that is out there.

This makes me wonder how this effects class rank? Its likely most of these 8 were in the top 20%.
So this would have a huge effect, essentially 8 out of the top 40 students are gone, that could really mean a huge jump for some people.

I wonder if the recalculate rank before OCI but after transfers? I mean this could be a theoretical 4 or 5 % boost.


I would assume they remove them. What sense in having 4 or 5 percent of the top of the class in there for no reason? Or, I would be pissed if they didn't remove them.

I guess transfer ins will more than make up for the drop outs and transfer outs, but not for the 2L OCI's.

You still got the transfer bug kings?

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:05 pm

Yeah, this semester I have some more personal reasons to be home too, so its making things more interesting, but we'll see how this semester turns out before i know for sure. I think that if i got into to berkeley it would be tough to not go. But hopefully Williams, Krishnan, and Steele help me out, cuz Im not feeling all that confident this semester lol.

It agree that it would be stupid if they didn't change rank, but i know the release the rank in June before any transfers, and Im not sure if they re-ranked again last year in say August. Maybe 8 transfers was an anomaly too.

IU actually took very few transfers in last year, like 3 I think it was, and like you said their grades wouldn't effect rank yet. So realistically as far as rank goes, teh more that transfers out the better for the rest left.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:21 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Yeah, this semester I have some more personal reasons to be home too, so its making things more interesting, but we'll see how this semester turns out before i know for sure. I think that if i got into to berkeley it would be tough to not go. But hopefully Williams, Krishnan, and Steele help me out, cuz Im not feeling all that confident this semester lol.

It agree that it would be stupid if they didn't change rank, but i know the release the rank in June before any transfers, and Im not sure if they re-ranked again last year in say August. Maybe 8 transfers was an anomaly too.

IU actually took very few transfers in last year, like 3 I think it was, and like you said their grades wouldn't effect rank yet. So realistically as far as rank goes, teh more that transfers out the better for the rest left.


I would expect more transfers this year from people paying sticker at lower schools. I know one transfer, and he was from some Texas-ish area law school (it wasn't UT). Maybe IU isn't a big transfer school, but I would expect more with the ratings jump and such.

Personal reasons are a good reason to go. I've lost any real reason enough to warrant getting a LOR. I'm pretty happy here, and I realized I'm really happy with the area and the people around. If I end up in the top 10-15 percent, I might try, but I don't really want to leave. All the better schools I like are even fucking colder than Indiana.

User avatar
RonSantoRules
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby RonSantoRules » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:24 pm

kings84_wr wrote:and ive been on a research craze the last day, 8 people transferred out of IU last year.

I know my PGA mentioned, UT, Penn, UCLA, Vandy, as a few places and the transfer apps groups says at least one went to Harvard.


I personally knew of UT, UCLA, Vandy, Penn, HLS, and 2 at CLS (one was top 3% and one was top 20%). That accounts for 7 of the 8. HTH. PM me if you have transfer question. Transferred out of IUB last year.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:29 pm

haha yeah, I have to admit asking for LOR's was kinda awkward, I talked to Shreve for about an hour about it, boshkoff on the other hand was ecstatic, I think he just likes visitors haha.

I think you are right about the ranking jump too, and i think those transferring out last year used it to their benefit as well. Speaking of which don't the new rankings come out sometime in the next month.

I'd like to add again, IU is a great school and I am happy here as well. Im just looking at the odds of being home and realizing that in the end Berkeley and Stanford or going to place better then IU, and that is no shot at IU at by any means, I don't think anyone would pick IU over either of those schools for breaking into the CA market.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:46 pm

New rankings come out April 15th, but I'm hoping they leak a little before that. I guess all in all it doesn't really matter, but moving up would sound good to me. Better than dropping, that's for sure.

User avatar
Unjust Enrichment
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Incidentally, a couple of weeks ago I finally saw a San Francisco Giants hat wade through the crowd after class let out in the law school. However, the crowd kept me from really seeing a face, and then suddenly the dude with the Giants hat had disappeared. I felt like Agent Kujan in The Usual Suspects.

So, kings84 remains a mystery to me. Best of luck with the attempt to transfer to Stanford/Berkeley though. Obviously for your situation that sounds like the right decision.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:59 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:Incidentally, a couple of weeks ago I finally saw a San Francisco Giants hat wade through the crowd after class let out in the law school. However, the crowd kept me from really seeing a face, and then suddenly the dude with the Giants hat had disappeared. I felt like Agent Kujan in The Usual Suspects.

So, kings84 remains a mystery to me. Best of luck with the attempt to transfer to Stanford/Berkeley though. Obviously for your situation that sounds like the right decision.


It's the damnedest thing. I know all the major players on the board except Kings. Well, I'm 80% on Mulligan. But me and Kings have at least two classes together, and he publicly outs himself with some San Fran hat that I must block from my mind while I sleep through my classes.

UJ will hate this, but I have never actually seen all of the Usual Suspects. I saw part of it about a decade ago...

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:06 am

I promise that on opening day I will be decked out in Giants gear haha, so I will be totally outed.

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Mulliganstew » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:33 am

I'm 80% on me too.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:54 am

Unjust Enrichment wrote:I don't have your number so there wasn't really a way to let you know, but the turnout was just okay. I didn't last long obviously, since I'm posting this at 10:00.


Wait, did I meet you?

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Veritas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:02 am

so outed tonight......... :lol:

User avatar
Unjust Enrichment
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:27 am

Vincent Vega wrote:
Unjust Enrichment wrote:I don't have your number so there wasn't really a way to let you know, but the turnout was just okay. I didn't last long obviously, since I'm posting this at 10:00.


Wait, did I meet you?


Doubtful, I mostly just talked with other 1Ls, briefly said hi to a couple of people but I'm terrible with names and didn't remember any of them. Didn't exactly want to go up to a bunch of people saying, "So, do you post on TLS?" So I guess I didn't really know how to meet any of the 0Ls from this board. Wish we would have worked out some way to signal in advance, but I honestly wasn't planning on hitting up Nick's until about 20 minutes before I left for there.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:00 pm

We were playing sink the biz in the back of the hoosier room with some of the current 1Ls.

User avatar
Unjust Enrichment
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby Unjust Enrichment » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:We were playing sink the biz in the back of the hoosier room with some of the current 1Ls.


Damn, Sink the Biz was going on? I may have missed where the main action was taking place. Maybe that's why things seemed kind of lame. I wonder what 1Ls you played with.

Anyway, confirmed, you didn't meet me.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Overall what did you guys think of the school? Did you all have a good time?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests