Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gatorhoosier

New

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Post by gatorhoosier » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm glad you liked Heidt.

I liked Geyh a lot. Say the letter "J" and you've correctly pronounced the name.

His class isn't intimidating and he accepts the reality that 95% of the class won't be prepared on certain days, like when your final memo will be due in November.
In contrast, Heidt will assign double the reading during that week and get upset when no one reads all of it.

Pay attention in Geyh's class because he will pretty much tell you what the most important Rules and cases to know for the exam.

Geyh and Steele (second semester) were my favorite profs in 1L, but there are some vigorous dissents to my view.

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Unfortunately I don't have gegh. I've got ochoa, hoffmann, heidt, shreve. I like them all though (so far).

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
lah88 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm an incoming 1L. I think I remember reading that we would be able to choose our professor for Torts. Who would you recommend?
Gjerdingen.
God, no.

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:40 pm

I lucked out and got Scott, Ornstein, Buxbaum, and .....Heidt. I know a lot were raving about the first three (which all three of them seem extraordinary), but Heidt is my runaway favorite thus far. The dude is funnier than hell, some of his hypotheticals are genius in how he incorporates humor. He's a little awkward tho (if you have/had him you know what I mean).

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Are you guys actually briefing the cases? It seems like some professors have been incorporating crazy cold calls for useless information.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Are you guys actually briefing the cases? It seems like some professors have been incorporating crazy cold calls for useless information.
I'm briefing, but I'm not treating it as being as important as understanding the reading, if that makes any sense. I feel like with most of my professors at least, if you've highlighted the key points and read the case well, you'll be ok on a cold call.

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:29 am

i'd recommend briefing but not because you want to do well on a cold call. cold calls don't mean a thing, nobody remembers them later on and it has no effect on your 100% anonymous grade.

briefs are good because they build outlines and outlines build exam answers. you will get speedy on the briefs by the end of the semester, don't focus much on the facts, focus on the court's analysis.

i briefed all last year and did pretty well. i will be doing it as a 2L as well. one thing i would not recommend is the 400 different color highlighter regime that will be common but is totally pointless.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:09 am

downstream wrote:i'd recommend briefing but not because you want to do well on a cold call. cold calls don't mean a thing, nobody remembers them later on and it has no effect on your 100% anonymous grade.

briefs are good because they build outlines and outlines build exam answers. you will get speedy on the briefs by the end of the semester, don't focus much on the facts, focus on the court's analysis.

i briefed all last year and did pretty well. i will be doing it as a 2L as well. one thing i would not recommend is the 400 different color highlighter regime that will be common but is totally pointless.
i think it's totally up to you, based on how you learn the material best. if doing briefs is helping you, keep doing it. If it seems like a time drain and you're not getting anything out of it, then stop and find another method. FWIW, i didn't brief at all and did just fine.

Chippy

New

Post by Chippy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Anyone think the halls are seriously overcrowed now? These massive classes are too big for the present facilities.

And don't even get me started about Bloomington in general.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Chippy wrote:Anyone think the halls are seriously overcrowed now? These massive classes are too big for the present facilities.

And don't even get me started about Bloomington in general.
What do you mean?

eve2490

New

Post by eve2490 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:33 am

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:50 am

How far away is home? I dont think its that bad an idea. I'd stay in Bloomington for fall break though at least.

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:40 am

There was a minor group freakout (I wasn't directly involved) after on of Shreve's civpro classes the other day. Apparently, one of the 1Ls heard from a 3L that Shreve's exam will DESTROY US ALL and that in fact there's even a phrase for what's going to happen to us (getting Shreved). Anybody got an info on Shreve's civpro exam?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:14 am

c-monster wrote:There was a minor group freakout (I wasn't directly involved) after on of Shreve's civpro classes the other day. Apparently, one of the 1Ls heard from a 3L that Shreve's exam will DESTROY US ALL and that in fact there's even a phrase for what's going to happen to us (getting Shreved). Anybody got an info on Shreve's civpro exam?
Sounds like plain 3L meanness.

eve2490

New

Post by eve2490 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

gatorhoosier

New

Post by gatorhoosier » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:30 pm

I heard the opposite about Shreve. I heard his exam is fair. In fact, I have never heard one negative thing about Shreve.

With respect to going home for Thanksgiving, it depends on your personal study patterns. I did not go home for Thanksgiving because home was far away and I can't study at home. I sucked though.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:19 pm

What is the numerical equivalent for B, B+, A- (do they give these out?)?

I think it was said that there's like a 3.2/3.3 curve?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Verity wrote:What is the numerical equivalent for B, B+, A- (do they give these out?)?

i don't know what you mean by "numerical equivalent" but if you mean in terms of grade points, an A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.7, C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C- = Screwed.

sequenza

New

Post by sequenza » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:59 pm

If you have a Shreve you have a BIG problem. People were really angry last year after the exam. The 3L was not lying.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:07 pm

eve2490 wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:How far away is home? I dont think its that bad an idea. I'd stay in Bloomington for fall break though at least.
Home is NY, so it's a bit far out. My friend will be driving out there (13 hr drive basically) and I have the option of tagging along if I want. I will be in Bloomington over the october break. I understand I will be done with LRW right before the Thanksgiving break starts.
I dont think its a big deal, just frontload your work early, and it will be some mental health time. LRW is a joke, don't worry about it.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:11 pm

sequenza wrote:If you have a Shreve you have a BIG problem. People were really angry last year after the exam. The 3L was not lying.
In every class ive ever taken half the class was angry after the exam ( or at least after grades came out). Shreve is fair and open about his grading. Its not a BIG problem at all.

IMO Shreve's exams are incredibly easy, and thats the problem. THe curve is really tight because its so obvious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:59 am

crazyblink653 wrote:i don't know what you mean by "numerical equivalent" but if you mean in terms of grade points, an A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.7, C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C- = Screwed.
This
eve2490 wrote:Home is NY, so it's a bit far out. My friend will be driving out there (13 hr drive basically) and I have the option of tagging along if I want.
It is a personal call, but I'd always go home in this kind of situation. Is there a reason you aren't flying?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:
Verity wrote:What is the numerical equivalent for B, B+, A- (do they give these out?)?

i don't know what you mean by "numerical equivalent" but if you mean in terms of grade points, an A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.7, C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C- = Screwed.
Those are numbers alright.

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:32 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
sequenza wrote:If you have a Shreve you have a BIG problem. People were really angry last year after the exam. The 3L was not lying.
In every class ive ever taken half the class was angry after the exam ( or at least after grades came out). Shreve is fair and open about his grading. Its not a BIG problem at all.

IMO Shreve's exams are incredibly easy, and thats the problem. THe curve is really tight because its so obvious.
This. If you don't have a pre-written answer prepared for every question on the exam, you're doing something wrong. He has a ton of practice exams posted with model answers, and he asks pretty much the same questions each exam with minor variations. It is easy to figure out what questions likely will be on the exam. Don't sweat it - he gives you four hours for an exam that at most takes three.

Sempre FFF

New

Post by Sempre FFF » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:45 am

I agree with everything these posters say. The exams are easy and the curve is tight. One other thing you can do is read Understanding Civil Procedure. He wrote it and forming your exam answers in the same or similar way to how he has explained things will also help give you the slight edge over others who also have the correct answer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”