Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kings84_wr

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Post by kings84_wr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Coming from CA, I am amazed at how cheap housing is in Bloomington. There really are a lot of places close the law school.

Personally I got on the ball really late last year, and ended up with a place that is rather large about 1400 sq ft two bedroom town house, at about 580 a month by myself. Im about a mile from the law school, which is kinda far, but im near a bus stop, and I like walking.

In general, there are a lot of places around the law school and most will have a good deal of room and are pretty cheap.

dunno if you have seen this page, but --LinkRemoved-- may have some good info on it.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:15 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Coming from CA, I am amazed at how cheap housing is in Bloomington. There really are a lot of places close the law school.

Personally I got on the ball really late last year, and ended up with a place that is rather large about 1400 sq ft two bedroom town house, at about 580 a month by myself. Im about a mile from the law school, which is kinda far, but im near a bus stop, and I like walking.

In general, there are a lot of places around the law school and most will have a good deal of room and are pretty cheap.

dunno if you have seen this page, but --LinkRemoved-- may have some good info on it.
:shock: That's what you get when you get "on the ball really late"?? Holy crap. If you end up transferring next year, I might just take that place off your hands. That's probably more space than we need though, but wow.

Thanks for the link. Lots of good stuff on there.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Yeah you will really have no trouble finding a place in town. I would recommend looking early like June/July and you will essentially get a pick of anything. Ive found that landlords absolutely love law students, and will really go out of their way to get you. Make sure to mention you are a law student, as many places will give a discount, including my current apt. Also if you are living a little ways away from campus its nice to be near a bus stop. IU students get free access to the transit and when it snows ive found walking a mile is too much for me haha.

Overall though housing is really nice in the area. Much less stressful then where I went to undergrad and much much cheaper.

Oh and this if for all you guys that are coming/thinking of coming next year. Make sure to hit me up once you know your profs and I can give you my outlines/flowcharts. Im sure some of hte other guys on here would love to share too. One of the things that really helped this semester was working really hard on outlines so I have a pretty solid final product.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:49 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Halibut, if you've got pics of different places you looked at, would you mind PM'ing those to me?
I only took pics at one place, which is the complex I will be living at. I can send you those if you want. I went to another complex as well, and I thought it was awful for what they were charging for it, so we didn't even take pictures there.

The place I chose is pretty far away in comparison (3 miles), but I have already taken the bus from there to campus and it is not bad at all - if I had chosen to go to school in Chicago I'd have a much farther commute, most likely. Very few places fit all of the criteria I had in mind (accepted pets, on a bus route to campus, looked like it wasn't a slum, wasn't full of partiers and undergrads, had sufficient square footage, had on-site workout facilities), so I had to sacrifice proximity to the law school.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:Halibut, if you've got pics of different places you looked at, would you mind PM'ing those to me?
I only took pics at one place, which is the complex I will be living at. I can send you those if you want. I went to another complex as well, and I thought it was awful for what they were charging for it, so we didn't even take pictures there.

The place I chose is pretty far away in comparison (3 miles), but I have already taken the bus from there to campus and it is not bad at all - if I had chosen to go to school in Chicago I'd have a much farther commute, most likely. Very few places fit all of the criteria I had in mind (accepted pets, on a bus route to campus, looked like it wasn't a slum, wasn't full of partiers and undergrads, had sufficient square footage, had on-site workout facilities), so I had to sacrifice proximity to the law school.
It's cool. I saw the link in the other thread. Congrats, man. The link kings gave me is a great resource and I've already got a few ideas in mind if I end up in Bloomington. And if the SO and I don't both make it to Bloomington, I may take you up on the roommate thing. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:42 am

Oh yeah, I have the holy grail outline folder that my PGA gave me. Anyone who goes to school here from TLS gets it as far as I'm concerned.

Sg017

New

Post by Sg017 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:20 am

Halibut which complex did you decide on? The ones out by the mall (if you don't mind a commute) are a pretty sweet deal. The Fields are a nice complex for grad student I think.

If my interview went well I hope to be joining you all back in the Hoosier nation.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:
It's hard for 1L's to really compare since we'll only have been to the one school. That said, I think the IUB OCPD is full of people who go out of their way to help students. Indiana's new Legal Professions class is helping a lot with networking since we, as 1L's, get first choice when it comes to informational interviews with alumni the school brings in. They've also added a dinner with alumni at a local upscale restaurant that was a fantastic way to really get to know the alumni.
I think Legal Professions is good, but Steele hasn't really had us do much of anything. Is it weird that I'm asking for more work to do? :lol: The class itself is actually really helpful, but I think we could do more with the time they have allotted for the class.

And I have noticed that OCPD is actually getting some firms to come in for OCI's, so I am now happier with them. They aren't really from the markets I've been looking for, but I think I will try and get some interviews. I guess I should point out that they do organize a TON of activities through the year, where there will be free food and speakers from different sectors almost weekly. It's been pretty helpful to listen to a lot of old alums.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:40 pm

Halibut6 wrote:

I'm at a complex that is right next to the mall, but the commute shouldn't be an issue. The bus comes by the front of the mall around every 5-10 minutes, and you can walk it in around 20 minutes. The newer places seem to be around the mall as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:51 pm

the leg profession class is really moving slow and im worried about it a bit, just as far as grading and testing and stuff.

Steele is great though, he knows so much about the industry, since he was hiring partner at his firm, and he fired Tucker max haha.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Sg017 wrote:Halibut which complex did you decide on? The ones out by the mall (if you don't mind a commute) are a pretty sweet deal. The Fields are a nice complex for grad student I think.
Steeplechase. I have looked at a lot of places online, and looked at a couple while I was in town and I just kept getting drawn to Steeplechase. Like I said, it's a little more expensive than many of the places, but it has everything I want in a place, plus it's really new, which I like.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Are any of you guys bidding on Hoover-Hull?

Im supposed to hear back from the fed judge I interviewed with, sometime this next week. Im wondering if I don't get it, if I should put a bid in just to try.

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:32 pm

kings - good job signing a $23 million contract...oh wait, ur not really lincecum. Now every time I see Lincecum in the news I think of your tar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:01 pm

Threepeat wrote:kings - good job signing a $23 million contract...oh wait, ur not really lincecum. Now every time I see Lincecum in the news I think of your tar.
I was very excited with the deal today, even though im not him haha. I have been terrified htat Arb was gonna lead to bad feelings, so its good the giants and Timmy are happy.

Too bad lawyers don't make 23 million at the age of 25

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:12 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
Threepeat wrote:kings - good job signing a $23 million contract...oh wait, ur not really lincecum. Now every time I see Lincecum in the news I think of your tar.
I was very excited with the deal today, even though im not him haha. I have been terrified htat Arb was gonna lead to bad feelings, so its good the giants and Timmy are happy.

Too bad lawyers don't make 23 million at the age of 25
+1....or get caught with pot and instead of your career being over you get offerred 23 mill. I knew I should have tried harder in little league.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 pm

In the bay area smoking pot actually probably makes him that much more marketable lol.

and as a giants fan its refreshing to have a player linked to performance de-hancing drugs rather then enhancing haha.

We can only hope to graduate and be his agent or something i guess.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Are any of you guys bidding on Hoover-Hull?

Im supposed to hear back from the fed judge I interviewed with, sometime this next week. Im wondering if I don't get it, if I should put a bid in just to try.
You know, I tried, and couldn't figure out how to on symplicity. I know I had gotten to a correct bid page somewhere before, but haven't been able to figure it out. Since they are finally bringing in some firms for 1L's, I'm gonna go for it.

I think HH is the Indy one, that is actually located around one of those giant ass round abouts with the big statute/museum in the middle. There is another new one in Louisville that is in what I have called the Frabriege (sp?) egg building.

I just realize I have never had to spell that word. Or ever read that word.

I think I'm gonna figure out how to bid on them, then give the interviews the old college try. Mainly by bad mouthing kings84_wr in the interviews (did you hear he supports pot smoking baseball players?), and by NOT mentioning how disappointed I would be in myself if I ended up in Louisville or Indianapolis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:20 am

haha, Im praying that the fed judge offers me when I call back on monday. The judge told me that If I got an offer to let them know and they will try and make a quick decision. So in my book that means I can call for an update even if I havnt had an interview since mine with them.

and yeah I took a look at symplicity and it didnt really make sense to me, maybe its not available yet?

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:28 am

kings84_wr wrote:haha, Im praying that the fed judge offers me when I call back on monday. The judge told me that If I got an offer to let them know and they will try and make a quick decision. So in my book that means I can call for an update even if I havnt had an interview since mine with them.

and yeah I took a look at symplicity and it didnt really make sense to me, maybe its not available yet?
One clearly gave a time when you can bid. Another one is coming up and does not have a clear way to bid. So... I dunno. But we are getting a good bit of OCI's for 1L's.

Good luck with the judge.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:11 am

I'm not even going to bother with firms this summer. I'm sticking to people I know and public interest options.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:26 pm

To be honest Im sure none of us really have a shot with them anyways, it just seemed interesting that they were coming. THough I asked me PGA and she said they come every spring, so maybe they arent even necessarily hiring

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:44 pm

We should probably make it clear that if you come here this fall, be sure you have a way to school even if there's three feet of snow on the ground. They will NOT cancel class.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:We should probably make it clear that if you come here this fall, be sure you have a way to school even if there's three feet of snow on the ground. They will NOT cancel class.
About half of my class was missing in Leg Profession and Steele seemed to be in shock that it could be due to the snow. I guess as a fellow Californian, he is not used to having snow either.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:00 pm

How do the buses run when there is a lot of snow? Behind? Canceled?

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:21 pm

What actually qualifies as "a lot of snow" in Bloomington? I'm not trying to be snarky but I'm from Western New York so I'm skeptical of most other peoples' definition of weather. We get feet of snow here and the thought of cancelled class just never comes up.

Edit: Tried not to sound like a prick.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”