Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mulliganstew

Bronze

Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Post by Mulliganstew » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:40 am

Here I thought I'd be hosting the Drexel 1L thread. There are plenty of IUB 1L's on the forums so I'm sure most any question will have someone qualified to answer it.

In the interest of openness, I got off the wait list late at IUB, and it was the best ranked school to take me. That said, I love it here in Bloomington so far.
Last edited by Mulliganstew on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Gold

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Post by Veritas » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:18 am

How mobile is the degree?

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:20 am

A majority of the students come from different states, and I believe a majority leave the state. The biggest states mentioned in orientation are Illinois, California, Indiana (obviously), Michigan, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head because I stopped listening after California and Illinois.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:23 am

Mulliganstew wrote:A majority of the students come from different states, and I believe a majority leave the state. The biggest states mentioned in orientation are Illinois, California, Indiana (obviously), Michigan, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head because I stopped listening after California and Illinois.
oh, that's cool that it comes back to CA.

I'm not asking just to be nice, btw. I'm seriously considering an application.

Do you think to get back to CA I would have to be in the top?

Carlisle

New

Post by Carlisle » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:27 am

Mulliganstew wrote:Here I thought I'd be hosting the Drexel 1L thread. There are plenty of IUB 1L's on the forums so I'm sure most any question will have someone qualified to answer it.

In the interest of openness, I got off the wait list late at IUB, and it was the best ranked school to take me. That said, I love it here in Bloomington so far.
i have similar numbers to you, and i watched your cycle closely last year. i'm hoping i too can get into schools like indiana, but what specifically did you like about the school, apart from rankings. what convinced you to go there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:33 am

Veritas wrote: oh, that's cool that it comes back to CA.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but as far as I know, it's mainly networking with alumni in California that's most important. I talked to a 2L who said that being specific on where you want to live is vital to interview success. He mentioned that someone who came from out of state will have to convince in-state law firms that they intend to stay since the first few years are a loss for most firms on new hires. So, you'd actually have a decent time convincing California firms that you'd want to move back since you've lived there before and have history.
Carlisle wrote:i have similar numbers to you, and i watched your cycle closely last year. i'm hoping i too can get into schools like indiana, but what specifically did you like about the school, apart from rankings. what convinced you to go there?
I put Indiana up there with Illinois and Iowa because it was a strong Midwest school that had a good quality of life and strong placement in regions that you wouldn't expect from a Midwestern school. The scholarship helped a ton though to be brutally honest.

Edit: This wasn't as important to me, but Indiana recently added one of the top IP professors in the nation in Professor Janis.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Veritas wrote:
Mulliganstew wrote:A majority of the students come from different states, and I believe a majority leave the state. The biggest states mentioned in orientation are Illinois, California, Indiana (obviously), Michigan, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head because I stopped listening after California and Illinois.
oh, that's cool that it comes back to CA.

I know there about 8 of us from CA that are 1l's this year.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:21 pm

That, and Michael Uslan, the executive producer of the Batman films and an Indiana law grad was telling us about a group called the Hollywood Hoosiers. Apparently there's a huge grass roots networking movement among Indiana grads in southern Cali.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:That, and Michael Uslan, the executive producer of the Batman films and an Indiana law grad was telling us about a group called the Hollywood Hoosiers. Apparently there's a huge grass roots networking movement among Indiana grads in southern Cali.
I was pretty pissed that I missed him speak, I heard it was pretty awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:38 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
Mulliganstew wrote:That, and Michael Uslan, the executive producer of the Batman films and an Indiana law grad was telling us about a group called the Hollywood Hoosiers. Apparently there's a huge grass roots networking movement among Indiana grads in southern Cali.
I was pretty pissed that I missed him speak, I heard it was pretty awesome.
I missed it too, and I make a point to never miss out on free pizza.

To touch on a few things, IU tied with the quickest response, scholarship in all, within a month of sending my app out late in the cycle.

I know that about a third of the 2012 class is from Indiana; the rest, like me, are from out of state.

I managed to tell the school I accepted a few weeks before the rankings jump. The scholarship was too much to turn down, especially after I checked out the school and the town.
Last edited by Spoonmanners on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chewdak

Bronze

Post by chewdak » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Could you draw comparisons with other Midwest schools?
I'm looking at Minn, Wisc, and Iowa.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:06 pm

chewdak wrote:Could you draw comparisons with other Midwest schools?
Maybe someone else would be better to answer that, but that never stopped me from answering a question before.

I applied to Minnesota (deferred) and Wisconsin (wait listed, but who wasn't last cycle?) so I never visited. Wisconsin was more of a backup school for me, who put me on their wait list after I got nice offers from better schools. Madison is supposed to be a great place to live, but Bloomington has been great. I really didn't like how they handled their cycle last year, so I didn't jump onto their wait list or write the letter of intent THEY STRONGLY RECOMMENDED IN THIS FASHION.

The consensus on this board was Iowa has poor job placement into Chicago and such, and I read a few other things that made me not really want to apply.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:32 am

chewdak wrote:Could you draw comparisons with other Midwest schools?
I can't say much about MN or WI, but I applied to Iowa and was waitlisted. I chose not to stay on it as it was my third choice behind Indiana and Illinois mainly for the reasons mentioned in the previous post. Iowa doesn't place as well as Indiana does in Chicago right now, and that's crucial in this economy. That said, Bloomington is a better place to live too. I could visit three different cities on a moment's notice: Indianapolis is only an hour and a few minutes away, same with Louisville, KY, and Cinci is only a little over 2 hours away. Not only does this lead to fun weekend trips, but it's great for interviews and possible internships.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:43 am

1) I'm curious as to what you did to get in off the wait list? Anything special?

2) What do you think IUB is looking for in an applicant (above and beyond the obvious numbers)?

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be curious to know what your numbers were,but I understand if you aren't keen on posting that...

Thanks for answering questions!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:15 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:1) I'm curious as to what you did to get in off the wait list? Anything special?

2) What do you think IUB is looking for in an applicant (above and beyond the obvious numbers)?

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be curious to know what your numbers were,but I understand if you aren't keen on posting that...

Thanks for answering questions!
1. I actually didn't do anything. I was cold called by them. I'm sure a letter of continued interest would help a lot though.
2. I can't speak for their admissions office, obviously, but we have an extremely diverse class so I'm sure adding something special to the school through your experiences would help a lot.
2a. 166 LSAT and 2.85 GPA. I'm pretty sure I got in because they needed my LSAT score to balance things out. I'm an oddball in that I probably added very little diversity to the class.

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:16 pm

As an Ohio resident, would it make sense for me to look at this school, even if I pay out of state tuition?

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:39 pm

jms1987 wrote:As an Ohio resident, would it make sense for me to look at this school, even if I pay out of state tuition?
Same boat as me. Best in Ohio is OSU but it is my undergrad institution and I really would like to go experience a different venue.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm an Illinois resident for what it's worth. Indiana tends to give scholarships that give you the equivalent of in-state tuition to almost anyone who enters from out of state.

TarHeel11

New

Post by TarHeel11 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:16 am

How'd you like that 25% bump in tuition this summer?

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:05 am

TarHeel11 wrote:How'd you like that 25% bump in tuition this summer?
It's rough, but nearly everyone got scholarships so it's hard to notice really.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:14 pm

I feel bad for some of the people that committed before they announced the increased tuition, but honestly they were so liberal with scholarships that it just doesn't make a difference.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Yeah. As long as they keep adding scholarships, I don't see the school's tuition being a huge problem for anyone.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Whos your fav prof? Has to be Brown he's the shit

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Professor Geyh might very well be the best professor I've ever had. Period.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:Professor Geyh might very well be the best professor I've ever had. Period.
Ha I dont think we have any of the same classes.

I think Boshkoff is my favorite, he's old and hilarious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”