Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
danquayle

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Post by danquayle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:Williams scares the life out of me. I think I'll do just fine in property when all is said and done, but con law...while I grasp each case just fine individually, I don't seem to be "getting" it from a big picture standpoint at all.

Then again, this many weeks before finals still, there's still time to get it. Fall semester taught me that much.
Honestly, just regurgitate whatever he said during the semester. I enjoyed Williams a lot, but he really just wants to hear you echo him on the exam. Utilize his 'boxes' a lot. Anything you don't know, just BS a convincing argument and you'll do fine. Depending on who you have, you really should worry about property more. Con Law is entirely bullshit by definition as a subject. You can make everything up and still do ok. There's actually, like, rules and shit in property.

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:00 pm

danquayle wrote:
Unjust Enrichment wrote:Williams scares the life out of me. I think I'll do just fine in property when all is said and done, but con law...while I grasp each case just fine individually, I don't seem to be "getting" it from a big picture standpoint at all.

Then again, this many weeks before finals still, there's still time to get it. Fall semester taught me that much.
Honestly, just regurgitate whatever he said during the semester. I enjoyed Williams a lot, but he really just wants to hear you echo him on the exam. Utilize his 'boxes' a lot. Anything you don't know, just BS a convincing argument and you'll do fine. Depending on who you have, you really should worry about property more. Con Law is entirely bullshit by definition as a subject. You can make everything up and still do ok. There's actually, like, rules and shit in property.
That's what I like about property, the rules and shit. I did well in contracts and torts because it worked well with my mind to be able to work from black letter stuff that was easy to categorize and what not. Crim law and crim pro didn't go as well, and those were more theoretical and wanting for BS. Seems like property is just better suited to my learning style.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:49 pm

jerichogringo wrote:I am in a difficult position right now. If scholarship is the same, how should I go about choosing between UIUC and IUB? What would you all choose?
I'd check out both schools. Have you visited both? A lot of people here chose Bloomington over Illinois, but I'm not sure if anyone did it with equal money. I'm sure that plenty of Illinois students chose Illinois over Bloomington as well. Seems like preference of school and what you want to do with your law degree would be key.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:35 pm

danquayle wrote:
narkizopoint wrote:Did I miss something? Veritas is back in??
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=111119
When I was clicking this, I was saying to myself, "what, is this the "what's going on with Veritas thread," ... and yea, it kind of is.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:54 pm

jrobby6 wrote:sorry if this has been answered already but can iu-b's degree take me to the new york/boston area? I received a significant scholarship and really have no desire to work in indy or the midwest. I'm still waiting on a few schools (fordham in particular and a BC waitlist). If those do not work out, would it be wise to retake and apply next cycle?
I'd really hope to get into Fordham or BC.
IU doesn't necessarily place that well in NY or Boston.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:31 pm

danquayle wrote:

Thanks, this makes sense. I figure he spends so much time on all that classical liberal and civic republican stuff and the boxes and sorting.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:40 pm

danquayle, who did you have for Prop?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Bankhead wrote:danquayle, who did you have for Prop?
Stake. He was also my favorite professor.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Ahh, thanks and glad to know you liked him, but that doesn't help me!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:32 pm

Bankhead wrote:Ahh, thanks and glad to know you liked him, but that doesn't help me!
Property was my best grade. All I did was review his slides over and over again. (Well and, as I did for all my classes, get a solid group together to quiz each other). People ripped on him for the slides, but pretty much all the answers are right there in those slides.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:04 pm

danquayle wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Ahh, thanks and glad to know you liked him, but that doesn't help me!
Property was my best grade. All I did was review his slides over and over again. (Well and, as I did for all my classes, get a solid group together to quiz each other). People ripped on him for the slides, but pretty much all the answers are right there in those slides.
Any advice on doing well if you have the woman?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Bankhead wrote:
danquayle wrote:
Any advice on doing well if you have the woman?
You mean Bell?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:32 pm

I think he means Susan Williams.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:07 am

Kings is correct. LOL I guess I temporarily forgot that the same three people don't teach property year after year...

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:35 am

Yeah, Since Krishnan is totally knew we are kinda on our own with him. That being said I think is the most straightforward prof Ive had so far in law school, so Im not so worried.

DO you guys know if Leg Prof we each have difference exams? like will steele being getting an exam made by Steele and etc? or is it like all one Henderson exam?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 am

Confirmed that it will be different exams; not standardized.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:05 am

Is there any truth to the Leg prof is curved on A- rumor floating around?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:35 am

kings84_wr wrote:Is there any truth to the Leg prof is curved on A- rumor floating around?
I think that could be a reason why you cannot pull up old distributions. Especially since half the class is not based on a curve, I would imagine it'd be a nice way to give us all a little bump.

Or else some students will be trying to explain how they got a B in Legal Professions.

Side note: Anyone read the Tucker Max blog about Steele firing him? It was a pretty good read.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Steele's account is even funnier. He is in the book as well.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:36 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I think he means Susan Williams.
Didn't have her, but I heard she's a stickler for asking questions that are from case law... I'll ask around...

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 am

danquayle: Thanks!

spoon/kings: you can look at ghey's grade distribution for his legal prof class last year in the grade dist. database. he curved to a 3.5, which i imagine is consistent across the board. so a B+/A- curve.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Thanks, that's pretty close to what I was expecting. And how does Ghey not teach LP anymore?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Gyeh is now assistant dean, therefore he only teaches one class per year (civ pro).

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:56 am

And word from 2l's is there was tons of controversy last year relating to the class, and he wasn't super into how the new structure was set up.

HungryHippo

New

Post by HungryHippo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:07 am

Hi guys, hopeful 0L here.
I sent my app in early January and have yet to hear back from IUB. It is my top choice and I hope to make a decision soon. Would it be in bad taste if I called the admissions office and asked about the status of my application?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”