Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Vincent Vega

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I'm not sure what the prof's name was; I'm not sure if my guide ever said it. It was pretty interesting, though - 10th amendment. If I wasn't sold on Indiana before, I am now. I'll wait on Berkeley and Virginia, but I'm now about 100% sure I'll be at IU in the fall.
Pics or it didn't happen. :D
He's on the front page of the http://law.indiana.edu/ website. (He's the white guy). His Burma stories make him sound like Rambo.
Yeah, that was definitely the guy.

I enjoyed class. The first kid who got called on seemed a little unprepared, but it was alright overall. I was impessed with the class. Things might change after I've taken them, but con law is the 1L class i'm looking most forward to. The tour went well; I really liked the law library. I really liked the area just west of the law school. The courthouse area is pretty cool.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I'm not sure what the prof's name was; I'm not sure if my guide ever said it. It was pretty interesting, though - 10th amendment. If I wasn't sold on Indiana before, I am now. I'll wait on Berkeley and Virginia, but I'm now about 100% sure I'll be at IU in the fall.
Pics or it didn't happen. :D
He's on the front page of the http://law.indiana.edu/ website. (He's the white guy). His Burma stories make him sound like Rambo.
Yeah, that was definitely the guy.

I enjoyed class. The first kid who got called on seemed a little unprepared, but it was alright overall. I was impessed with the class. Things might change after I've taken them, but con law is the 1L class i'm looking most forward to. The tour went well; I really liked the law library. I really liked the area just west of the law school. The courthouse area is pretty cool.

I have yet to get cold called this semester so it wasnt me, thank god, but the socratic method has a way of wiping any knowledge or preparation out of your head haha. I tend to just go straight to whatever notes I have in front of me, and pray that they are relevant.

Some people really flourish under this system and others like me not so much.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:39 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
I have yet to get cold called this semester so it wasnt me, thank god, but the socratic method has a way of wiping any knowledge or preparation out of your head haha. I tend to just go straight to whatever notes I have in front of me, and pray that they are relevant.

At least you weren't the guy who came in with a long winded and pointless question. That was clearly addressed half an hour before.

Well, if you are that kid, I will start making fun of you because you are a terrible person, and the most hated gunner.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Haha I know who you are talking about, but no thats definitely not me. Im pretty far from a gunner, I don't think I have ever really talked in class without getting cold called.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:50 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Haha I know who you are talking about, but no thats definitely not me. Im pretty far from a gunner, I don't think I have ever really talked in class without getting cold called.
Have you outed yourself by being the only person (assumption) with a Giants hat in Indiana?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:04 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Haha I know who you are talking about, but no thats definitely not me. Im pretty far from a gunner, I don't think I have ever really talked in class without getting cold called.
Have you outed yourself by being the only person (assumption) with a Giants hat in Indiana?
Yeah Im sure there are probably plenty of people that know who I am, but I dont think any of the consistent posters know me. I keep a pretty low profile in class, so I dont necessarily stick out. Still I think the CA thing is pretty hard to cover up, and the giants clothes.

I probably should be more careful about talking about grades and gunners and stuff on here though now that I think about it haha.

there are several dodger hats floating around at school, and every time i see one of those I die a little inside.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 pm

I've seen only one other guy wear Cardinals hats. Yet, quite a few people have worn Rams clothing. :shock:

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:

At least you weren't the guy who came in with a long winded and pointless question. That was clearly addressed half an hour before.

Well, if you are that kid, I will start making fun of you because you are a terrible person, and the most hated gunner.
I actually zoned out momentarily and didn't hear him asking that question, I only heard Williams' answer...and was able to very easily assume that he was the one who asked the question that got shot down that hard. 122 people in that class and he's the only one who would get described that way. I mean, there's another gunner (the one who did summer start), but that guy totally puts him in perspective.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 am

Unjust Enrichment wrote: I actually zoned out momentarily and didn't hear him asking that question, I only heard Williams' answer...and was able to very easily assume that he was the one who asked the question that got shot down that hard. 122 people in that class and he's the only one who would get described that way. I mean, there's another gunner (the one who did summer start), but that guy totally puts him in perspective.
:lol: I heard all these stories from people in one of the other sections about all these gunners. I later found out everyone was just talking about him. It just keeps getting worse/more ridiculous. That kid is an asshat, and if anyone gets booted out, it should be that kid. Seems pretty hard to get booted out due to behavior though :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:15 am

Spoonmanners wrote:
Unjust Enrichment wrote: I actually zoned out momentarily and didn't hear him asking that question, I only heard Williams' answer...and was able to very easily assume that he was the one who asked the question that got shot down that hard. 122 people in that class and he's the only one who would get described that way. I mean, there's another gunner (the one who did summer start), but that guy totally puts him in perspective.
:lol: I heard all these stories from people in one of the other sections about all these gunners. I later found out everyone was just talking about him. It just keeps getting worse/more ridiculous. That kid is an asshat, and if anyone gets booted out, it should be that kid. Seems pretty hard to get booted out due to behavior though :?

in for examples/stories about epic gunner

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:20 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:

in for examples/stories about epic gunner
I've got popcorn.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:35 am

He wasn't in any of my classes, so everything I have heard is all second hand. Of course, that second hand information is unsolicited from at least a dozen different people.

If I get some legit stories told or re-told to me, I'll let you know. I guess you could imagine someone so full of not only shit but themselves, who is a complete prick, and has made it his job to waste everyone's time...

But I dunno. Like I said, he wasn't in any of my classes. I just know everyone who had classes with him hate him. As this being an IU thread, I would like to point out that like 98% of the students are great people.

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:46 am

Ninja edit. I'll back off of this dude. Thanks to the conscientious poster for keeping us in line.
Last edited by Unjust Enrichment on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Redacted.
Last edited by Mulliganstew on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:07 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:The bizarre thing is that he's such an epic gunner, and yet he shows up about five minutes late to class every single day.
I'm pretty sure this guy was the only one late to that class, out of the 120(?) people in the class. I noticed his stupid question/comment, too, and the blatant rejection by the professor, but I figured it was just a one-time thing. This guy just sat there grinning as Williams had to go over the point he made earlier in the class all over again.

PS None of you wanted to meet me. Boo.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
Unjust Enrichment wrote:The bizarre thing is that he's such an epic gunner, and yet he shows up about five minutes late to class every single day.
I'm pretty sure this guy was the only one late to that class, out of the 120(?) people in the class. I noticed his stupid question/comment, too, and the blatant rejection by the professor, but I figured it was just a one-time thing. This guy just sat there grinning as Williams had to go over the point he made earlier in the class all over again.

Weak! No love for the new guy?!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm assuming that it was a mixture of a lot of us missing class (It snowed heavily yesterday), a want for anonymity, not finding you (the polo thing), and the rest of us had Baude.

If anyone here comes by the school and comes to one of my classes, I'll gladly say hello even if it does out me. Considering what a gigantic dork I am, this may actually hurt your opinion of the school more than anything else. :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Halibut6 wrote:

I actually hadn't read the thread in several days and saw your report after this class had already happened. I'd have been happy to introduce myself.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Edit:
Last edited by kings84_wr on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Halibut6 wrote:

My bad man, I was so zoned out that day I didn't even think about it.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:22 pm

Edit: double post

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Yeah, I was gonna say hello, but I got stuck in the traffic. Blue polo shirt guy?

And while other posters can take the high road, I can give a recent story about the person in question.

Random student has claimed that his random professor told him he had the very best torts grade he had seen in 25 years. Random professor allegedly said being at Indiana was a waste of his talent, and he should be at random top school. Did something along the lines of pulled out the only test that was ever better than his (apparently he keeps his best exam in arms reach at all times) and gave him the contact information of that person.

However, it came to my attention thanks to one very astute person (hat tip), if you compare the grade distributions between the same professors [year prior to this year] and [last year] random/general law class, [year prior to this year] had [a number greater than zero] A+. [last year] had none. So it looks like even if he had the highest grade in the class, it wasn't better than last years top grade.

I would again like to point out I've met some of the nicest people in my life here.

[Edit: I have made this post a shit load more vague, despite being pretty vague before, due to reasonable concern from another TLS'er/IU-B student]
Last edited by Spoonmanners on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:

I actually hadn't read the thread in several days and saw your report after this class had already happened. I'd have been happy to introduce myself.
No worries.

Now that I've been there and know that I'll fit well there, I'm ready to start there. Too bad it's still six months away. I'll be sending in my commitment once I've gotten my rejection letters from Berkeley and UVA.

Edited to note: I just got my UVA waitlist email. Seeing how UVA was much more likely than Berkeley, that was just about the nail in the coffin.

MaurerFan

New

Post by MaurerFan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:17 am

IUB has its share of gunners, but overall the people here are really cool and a lot of fun to hang out with. I've had classes with a few gunners, not the one in question, and it can be annoying when they waste your time in class, but usually they aren't too bad to talk to one on one.
I know that you always hear the horror stories of being locked in the library all the time and giving up your social life, but I managed to have a Hell of a good time last semester and still get decent grades. IU is an awesome campus to go to if you are a single guy, because the women here are much better than my undergrad (Illinois) and since it's a bit of a party school, they know how to get down.

-Edelstein

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:38 am

MaurerFan wrote:IUB has its share of gunners, but overall the people here are really cool and a lot of fun to hang out with. I've had classes with a few gunners, not the one in question, and it can be annoying when they waste your time in class, but usually they aren't too bad to talk to one on one.
I know that you always hear the horror stories of being locked in the library all the time and giving up your social life, but I managed to have a Hell of a good time last semester and still get decent grades. IU is an awesome campus to go to if you are a single guy, because the women here are much better than my undergrad (Illinois) and since it's a bit of a party school, they know how to get down.

-[King of the Dragons]
This post is far too anonymous for anyone to know who it actually is, and I doubt they actually drink.

Or it's [the previously mentioned King of the Dragons]. And he is drunk. Like, right now.

Actually, I'm gonna start signing my posts with random last names.

-Macgyver
Last edited by Spoonmanners on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”