Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Post by BlueDiamond » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:04 pm

ryanshep wrote:What's the best/cheapest way to get to campus from out of town... Flying/renting a car/driving/hotel seems quite pricey... especially for ASD
isnt it easiest to just look this stuff up? you just said every mode of transportation and lodging you would normally use is too pricey but is there really another option?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:11 pm

ryanshep wrote:What's the best/cheapest way to get to campus from out of town... Flying/renting a car/driving/hotel seems quite pricey... especially for ASD
I think there's a hotel shuttle between IND and IU... let me look into that.

I'm driving and staying with my parents (who live <an hour away), so I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I would be even more lucky if I could still be considered in-state, but win some, lose some I guess.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Lwoods wrote:
I think there's a hotel shuttle between IND and IU... let me look into that.

I'm driving and staying with my parents (who live <an hour away), so I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I would be even more lucky if I could still be considered in-state, but win some, lose some I guess.
$15 each way:

--LinkRemoved--

ryanshep

New

Post by ryanshep » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:00 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
isnt it easiest to just look this stuff up? you just said every mode of transportation and lodging you would normally use is too pricey but is there really another option?
Current students might have a better idea of what options are available... see the comment about the shuttle.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:03 pm

FromtheD wrote:To all those making a visit out, where are you guys planning to stay? The two hotels closest to campus are Mariott and Hilton and the Hilton seems to be already sold out for the ASW dates. There's a Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn a bit farther out (1.7 miles to be exact), are those pretty decent?
Use Priceline, and hope that you get something like the Courtyard that is walking distance to everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:08 pm

LogosEther wrote:I'm not in the BLSA or Latino associations, but from an outsider's perspective, they seem pretty active and prominent.

Social life is really great, you can find law school people out everywhere on Kirkwood and the surrounding areas over the weekend, except for as you get really close to finals.

As for admissions, I just called the office once or twice over a few months, no big deal. The secretary told me my status when I asked.
Thanks! On a similar note, do the law students stick to themselves or do they kind of just mesh with the rest of campus? From what I know of IU its a bit "greeky" and a bit of a party school, but do the law students steer clear of that?

kcfella

New

Post by kcfella » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Thank you for this thread, it has been very helpful to me.

I am visiting next week and am really looking forward to it. My wife is coming and we will be trying to lock down housing while we are there. We have three young kids so are looking for a house. I have seen a lot online for rent around Bryan park for about $1500 and some nicer ones for about $1400 around the YMCA. Are these good areas to live? Are they walking distance to campus?

Where do the married students with families live? I am obviously open to spending less and would love to be closer to the school so I could really use some suggestions. I am open to townhouses, duplexes and single family homes.

Also, does anybody currently in Bloomington know of something like this that is coming available this June (I am a summer start)?

Thanks

mohuohu

New

Post by mohuohu » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 pm

So this might be a silly question, but I can't help but wonder...

Why do so few women attend IU? Does it have an effect on the culture of the school?

According to the website it's only 35%, which seems quite unusually low, especially considering the ongoing trend toward increasing female attendance.

guinness

New

Post by guinness » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:13 pm

mohuohu wrote:So this might be a silly question, but I can't help but wonder...

Why do so few women attend IU? Does it have an effect on the culture of the school?

According to the website it's only 35%, which seems quite unusually low, especially considering the ongoing trend toward increasing female attendance.
Right. How does this affect the dating scene? :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:23 pm

guinness wrote:
mohuohu wrote:So this might be a silly question, but I can't help but wonder...

Right. How does this affect the dating scene? :mrgreen:
THIS!!

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Haha I wanted to ask this but was too embarassed. Thanks, duders.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 am

Maybe I'm totally remembering incorrectly but i thought it was more like 45% or so Female for the class of 2012. Maybe it was just a strange yield/acceptance rate of non-females last year.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 am

mohuohu wrote:Why do so few women attend IU? Does it have an effect on the culture of the school?
Because they didn't factor in gender balance for our class. They are supposed to be fixing it for this next incoming class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 am

kings84_wr wrote:Maybe I'm totally remembering incorrectly but i thought it was more like 45% or so Female for the class of 2012. Maybe it was just a strange yield/acceptance rate of non-females last year.

You're probably right. Our class is unusually low.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:57 am

Plus, there's always the ugrad chicks. I don't like to say anything nice about IU, but the girls are way more approachable there.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:38 am

pu_golf88 wrote:Plus, there's always the ugrad chicks. I don't like to say anything nice about IU, but the girls are way more approachable there.
Yeah, IU undergrad girls are also gorgeous. Don't worry about the dating scene, you want to date the incestuous dating scene of law school anyways. There's tons of music grad students, and they're overwhelmingly female. ;) IU school-wide has more women than men.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 am

danquayle wrote:
pu_golf88 wrote:Plus, there's always the ugrad chicks. I don't like to say anything nice about IU, but the girls are way more approachable there.
Yeah, IU undergrad girls are also gorgeous. Don't worry about the dating scene, you want to date the incestuous dating scene of law school anyways. There's tons of music grad students, and they're overwhelmingly female. ;) IU school-wide has more women than men.
This is one of the reasons I wouldn't mind going to IU for LS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 am

danquayle wrote:
As the daughter of an IU Law / IU Music couple (who met while in Law / Music school), I can vouch for this. ;)

mohuohu

New

Post by mohuohu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:41 pm

danquayle wrote:

This is good news. I was seriously concerned about this...so maybe now I will come to IU after all...

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:06 pm

If IU was Cooley they would include UG girl's looks in their rankings, and rank themselves #1.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Indiana = hotties.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:Plus, there's always the ugrad chicks. I don't like to say anything nice about IU, but the girls are way more approachable attainable there.
FTFY

mohuohu

New

Post by mohuohu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm

While we're on the topic of the social scene...

It's a popular conception that IU's undergrad scene is dominated by Greek life. Does this vibe filter up through to the law school at all? Or is the UG social scene more separated from the older folk?

I ask because my UG is totally controlled by the frats and it gets pretty annoying (60%+ Greek population). I'd like to avoid re-immersing myself in that kind of environment.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:35 pm

mohuohu wrote:While we're on the topic of the social scene...

It's a popular conception that IU's undergrad scene is dominated by Greek life. Does this vibe filter up through to the law school at all? Or is the UG social scene more separated from the older folk?

I ask because my UG is totally controlled by the frats and it gets pretty annoying (60%+ Greek population). I'd like to avoid re-immersing myself in that kind of environment.
You could always start your own fraternity

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:27 pm

mohuohu wrote:While we're on the topic of the social scene...

Sorry Tri-Lambs. It's really not forever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”