Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LogosEther

Bronze

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Post by LogosEther » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:22 am

eve2490 wrote:I can probably assume the answer to the question, but I will ask anyway. So do any of you [at least somewhat serious] law students get to have fun during Lil 5? Lol.
I'm ONLY speaking for myself here: I definitely had fun in law school, but not during Little 5. The timing is just awful. It's at the end of the year, near finals, so it's really tough to spend the time. Still, I know plenty of law students who went to the race, partied a bit, etc.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:12 am

eve2490 wrote:I can probably assume the answer to the question, but I will ask anyway. So do any of you [at least somewhat serious] law students get to have fun during Lil 5? Lol.
Little 5 is a must. If you don't participate, you aren't serious, you're silly.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:53 am

c-monster wrote:Does anybody have any info on hoffmann?
as a summer starter i had hoffman for crim pro, but not for crim law (which is what you most likely have him for). Needless to say, i didn't like him all that much. he assigned a shitload of reading, yet covered maybe 1/2 of it in class. from what i heard from people who had him for crim law, he also teaches his own way and uses a quirky casebook that he wrote that he has yet to find a publisher for.

still, he's a brilliant guy and kind of funny. more personable than a lot of other law profs. he didn't cold call in crim pro (though he might in crim law), which means you have to motivate yourself to pay attention (sometimes he can go off on tangents).

his exams are also very different from your usual 1L exams. he doesn't grade you only for spotting the issues, but rather for overall coherence and organization. plus, he has a section on short answer questions, two issue spotters, AND a policy question, so it really runs the gamut of type of question you have to prepare yourself for (as contrasted with a professor like gjerdingen, whose exam is basically spot as many issues as you can in the time period).

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:56 am

crazyblink653 wrote:
as a summer starter i had hoffman for crim pro, but not for crim law (which is what you most likely have him for). Needless to say, i didn't like him all that much. he assigned a shitload of reading, yet covered maybe 1/2 of it in class. from what i heard from people who had him for crim law, he also teaches his own way and uses a quirky casebook that he wrote that he has yet to find a publisher for.

still, he's a brilliant guy and kind of funny. more personable than a lot of other law profs. he didn't cold call in crim pro (though he might in crim law), which means you have to motivate yourself to pay attention (sometimes he can go off on tangents).

his exams are also very different from your usual 1L exams. he doesn't grade you only for spotting the issues, but her for overall coherence and organization. plus, he has a section on short answer questions, two issue spotters, AND a policy question, so it really runs the gamut of type of question you have to prepare yourself for (as contrasted with a professor like gjerdingen, whose exam is basically spot as many issues as you can in the time period).

Thanks. Maybe he'll tell us which half of the reading we actually need to do. :-)

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:03 am

c-monster wrote:
crazyblink653 wrote:

his exams are also very different from your usual 1L exams. he doesn't grade you only for spotting the issues, but her for overall coherence and organization. plus, he has a section on short answer questions, two issue spotters, AND a policy question, so it really runs the gamut of type of question you have to prepare yourself for (as contrasted with a professor like gjerdingen, whose exam is basically spot as many issues as you can in the time period).

Thanks. Maybe he'll tell us which half of the reading we actually need to do. :-)
my understanding is that the reading load is not as heavy in crim law as it is in crim pro. still, it's likely that he'll fall behind the syllabus and try to cram everything else in at the very end. that's what he ended up doing in crim pro, anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:28 pm

Verity wrote:Is there usually reading required for the first class?
Yes, definitely.
If I remember correctly, they had a PDF last year for 1Ls.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:18 pm

superflush wrote:
Verity wrote:Is there usually reading required for the first class?
Yes, definitely.
If I remember correctly, they had a PDF last year for 1Ls.
When would we usually get it? Like, a week, a day, an hour in advance? Just asking, so I can figure out when to get my books.

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:09 am

You will get it about 3-4 days before the first class.

Relax, it's all going to be fine.

eve2490

New

Post by eve2490 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:57 pm

eve2490 wrote:I will have Reichard for LRW and, for those that have already taken the class (assuming you had the same textbook list as I do now), are the CDs that come with the 'package' really necessary or even helpful?

Book + ISBN:
PROCESS OF LEGAL RESEARCH-W/CD 9780735569775
JUST WRITING-W/CD 9780735576681
i don't think i even took the CDs out of shrink-wrap. if they come in a cheaper version w/o the CDs, just get that.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Is it true that a wild boar was seen near the law school last year?

Chippy

New

Post by Chippy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:32 pm

eve2490 wrote:I will have Reichard for LRW and, for those that have already taken the class (assuming you had the same textbook list as I do now), are the CDs that come with the 'package' really necessary or even helpful?

Book + ISBN:
You don't need the CDs. Just get the crappiest, most highlighted used book ever- you are hardly going to use it.

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Chippy wrote:

Book + ISBN:
You don't need the CDs. Just get the crappiest, most highlighted used book ever- you are hardly going to use it.
This is pretty much right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eve2490

New

Post by eve2490 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:41 am

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Verity wrote:
superflush wrote:If I remember correctly, they had a PDF last year for 1Ls.
When would we usually get it? Like, a week, a day, an hour in advance? Just asking, so I can figure out when to get my books.
It should be here at some point: http://apps.law.indiana.edu/degrees/courses/lookup.asp

I'm sure they will email it to you as well.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Are any 2Ls or 3Ls selling their used books?

Also, would we need to bring formal wear for any events?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:57 am

Verity wrote:Also, would we need to bring formal wear for any events?
During orientation? No
During 1L year? Yes

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:56 pm

superflush wrote:During 1L year? Yes
How many events like this occur?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:04 am

Do any upperclassmen mind sending me some outlines and case briefs? I just want to slowly figure out how I am supposed to outline and brief. I have Professor G. for torts. I would really appreciate it!

Chippy

New

Post by Chippy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:16 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Do any upperclassmen mind sending me some outlines and case briefs? I just want to slowly figure out how I am supposed to outline and brief. I have Professor G. for torts. I would really appreciate it!
Go ahead and PM me. Might still have G, among others. Also, briefs are a waste of time and effort.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Heres a quick analysis for a few profs.
Hoffman teaches crim law through statutory interpretation. He actually teaches it in a much more acedemic way then a lot of standard crim profs. No issue spotting common law crimes or memorization etc.

So I'm not the biggest hoffman fan as a teacher, he tends to grade way to leniently in hte middle which screws up the curve. But he is a huge deal for Academia (for example my crim pro prof at UCLA uses his Crim Pro book). His casebook is still not published i take it? He was writing it with Professor Stuntz from Harvard who died last year, which obviously set things back. From my understanding though, Aspen is going to publish it when its ready.

As for Shreve. I really like the guy. He's a former Plaintiffs attorney. Teaches civ pro in his own style. His supplement really is a must. Read his exams early as well. THey are very short and to the point with a tight curve.

Boshkoff. Is pretty old. I personally loved him, but I know some people that hated the guy. He teaches a bit different, rather then on a case method, he teaches through hypos. I particularly found this really helpful because it showed where the forks or twists in the law were in his mind. It really just helped prepare for the exam throughout the semester. THat being said i know people who couldn't stand his teaching style.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:27 am

Verity wrote:
superflush wrote:During 1L year? Yes
How many events like this occur?
A few. There are interviewing events at the law school (there was a regular one in the fall, and an IP Association one in the spring).
You can also do the job shadow opportunity over fall break (in whatever cities they have listed).
There's stuff in the spring as well: interview opportunities (Spring OCI, or off-campus interviews) and other events.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Anyone have any comments about Geyh, and how his name is pronounced (!)?

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Verity wrote:Anyone have any comments about Geyh, and how his name is pronounced (!)?
didn't have him but it's pronounced "jay," from what i understand. i've heard good and bad things about his class. i've heard it can get kind of boring because he uses a lot of PPT slides, but from my limited interactions he seems like an engaging enough person.

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Finished day one. I personally think Heidt is awesome.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”