Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Spoonmanners

Bronze

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Post by Spoonmanners » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:00 am

Good luck to everyone else as well. Bout to work on my 250 word per question game.
Last edited by Spoonmanners on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolverine2009

New

Post by wolverine2009 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:34 am

How is the nightlife in Bloomington? Any campus staples in terms of bars and clubs?

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:44 am

wolverine2009 wrote:How is the nightlife in Bloomington? Any campus staples in terms of bars and clubs?
Wolverines are Michigan correct? How is the nightlife in Ann Arbor?

We have plenty. A block from the school we have Kilroys, which is cheap, but as is the standard with cheap, it's dirty, and more of an undergrad bar. I've never been there at night. Nick's another block down is great. Plenty of good places down there. And Friday and Saturday night, there are plenty of sorority girls down there, just FYI.

Oh, and Jakes and Brothers and such more by the square. Plenty to keep it interesting, but not too much to keep you from doing your work. (To a point, plenty of people don't manage to do their work, but I would bet that would be true at any campus).

wolverine2009

New

Post by wolverine2009 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:38 pm

Yup, wolverines are UMich. Nightlife in Ann Arbor is good, even though some people who've been here for 4 years will complain. There is a lot to do. For a college town there are some higher end lounges and plenty of night clubs. Can't go wrong with Charlies, Ricks or The Brown Jug here. Windsor, Ontario is not too far if you want to gamble and experience some Canadian nightlife, although most people say its just a bunch of 19 year old American kids.

Anyway, its good to hear Indiana has a few staples in terms of bars and nightlife in general. I'm big on that.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:33 pm

wolverine2009 wrote:Yup, wolverines are UMich. Nightlife in Ann Arbor is good, even though some people who've been here for 4 years will complain. There is a lot to do. For a college town there are some higher end lounges and plenty of night clubs. Can't go wrong with Charlies, Ricks or The Brown Jug here. Windsor, Ontario is not too far if you want to gamble and experience some Canadian nightlife, although most people say its just a bunch of 19 year old American kids.

Anyway, its good to hear Indiana has a few staples in terms of bars and nightlife in general. I'm big on that.
Oh, and I completely failed to mention all the good international restaurants right by the law school. BTW, I am really only familiar with the places around the law school, so there may be other spots. But there's a bunch of restaurants on 4th right by the school, where you can get Indian, Korean, Chinese, Creole, gyros, and other stuff like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:35 pm

wolverine2009 wrote:Yup, wolverines are UMich. Nightlife in Ann Arbor is good, even though some people who've been here for 4 years will complain. There is a lot to do. For a college town there are some higher end lounges and plenty of night clubs. Can't go wrong with Charlies, Ricks or The Brown Jug here. Windsor, Ontario is not too far if you want to gamble and experience some Canadian nightlife, although most people say its just a bunch of 19 year old American kids.

I am not a fan of the Ann Arbor nightlife... But I live in East Lansing :D . I visited Bloomington earlier this semester - I would not call it particularly similar to Ann Arbor, or East Lansing. Much smaller, much less... active, and Greek Life owns that undergrad campus.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread though, I loved the campus and its one of my top choices if money were no object.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Baylan wrote:

I am not a fan of the Ann Arbor nightlife... But I live in East Lansing :D . I visited Bloomington earlier this semester - I would not call it particularly similar to Ann Arbor, or East Lansing. Much smaller, much less... active, and Greek Life owns that undergrad campus.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread though, I loved the campus and its one of my top choices if money were no object.
I've lived in Ann Arbor, Bloomington and East Lansing... My least favorite by far is East Lansing. Bloomington is a lot like Ann Arbor in that its very walkable. Probably a shade more walkable, actually. I prefer Ann Arbor, however, because there's quite a bit more to do in general... particularly for the older, graduate school crowd.

Bloomington beats Ann Arbor in restaurants, cost of living, ease of travel, parking, and aesthetic quality (both in terms of buildings and in people). Ann Arbor, in my opinion, pretty much wins every other category. Bloomington probably throws better parties, but Ann Arbor's culture of never paying at house parties is tough to beat.

The drinks in Bloomington bars are also ridiculous cheap, which is either a good or bad thing. Jake's on Thursdays and the AMF's at Upstairs will mess you up something fierce. Individually, I liked the Bloomington bars better, but there just aren't as many options are there are in Ann Arbor, particularly on the nights where you're looking for a more laid back non-student atmosphere. Bloomington in general is more overrun by students than Ann Arbor.

Bloomington also has a much more 'insular' feel that Ann Arbor, in that Bloomington feels like a very distinct college town, where Ann Arbor feels more like a city (thats part of a larger metro) wherein a college is.

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:07 pm

danquayle wrote:
Baylan wrote:

I've lived in Ann Arbor, Bloomington and East Lansing... My least favorite by far is East Lansing. Bloomington is a lot like Ann Arbor in that its very walkable. Probably a shade more walkable, actually. I prefer Ann Arbor, however, because there's quite a bit more to do in general... particularly for the older, graduate school crowd.

Bloomington beats Ann Arbor in restaurants, cost of living, ease of travel, parking, and aesthetic quality (both in terms of buildings and in people). Ann Arbor, in my opinion, pretty much wins every other category. Bloomington probably throws better parties, but Ann Arbor's culture of never paying at house parties is tough to beat.

The drinks in Bloomington bars are also ridiculous cheap, which is either a good or bad thing. Jake's on Thursdays and the AMF's at Upstairs will mess you up something fierce. Individually, I liked the Bloomington bars better, but there just aren't as many options are there are in Ann Arbor, particularly on the nights where you're looking for a more laid back non-student atmosphere. Bloomington in general is more overrun by students than Ann Arbor.

Bloomington also has a much more 'insular' feel that Ann Arbor, in that Bloomington feels like a very distinct college town, where Ann Arbor feels more like a city (thats part of a larger metro) wherein a college is.
EL is difficult to walk - I won't deny that, but being a guy, walking doesn't bother me too much. I've gotten used to it in my time at MSU (a much bigger campus than either UofM or IU). The reason I'm not a fan of Ann Arbor's night life is that in my experience, its just not particularly... busy. House parties rule, in my experience, and I think I've simply outgrown them. The bars in Ann Arbor also seemed... all the same to me, very similar feel in all of them that I've been in. EL on the other hand has several bars that have very distinct feels.

I haven't been in the bars at Bloomington, my visit was only for one night and I was staying with an under-aged friend, but I imagine that they're more similar to UofI than either UofM or MSU. The campus-feel also strikes me as being similar, but that is based on very limited experience at either Indiana or Illinois.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:13 pm

Two down, two to go.

Hows everyone feeling halfway done?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Public Interest opportunities are all I'm concerned about - besides scholarships anyway. Any info?

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:57 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Two down, two to go.

I feel like Professor Geyh ran over my dog. But contracts went well.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:

\

Shreve wasnt so bad luckily. However Im totally at a loss for crim law with Hoffman.

Closed note tests are really gonna suck

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:55 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
Unjust Enrichment wrote:

\

Shreve wasnt so bad luckily. However Im totally at a loss for crim law with Hoffman.

Closed note tests are really gonna suck
My only comfort with Geyh is that his grade distributions from the past show that he gives away less A's than most profs (only gave one away last year), leaving most of the class stacked into the A-/B+ range. Since there is absolutely no chance that I contended for an A with the crap I wrote yesterday, I'm hoping that he stays true to this kind of distribution...I might still escape with a B+.

And I'm with you on Hoffmann. We're all in the same boat though, on the closed note thing. Just a matter of holding our own against our classmates.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 pm

Yeah im starting to think that Hoffman makes his stupid curve off of the dumb fill in the blank questions.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 pm

I don't mean to interrupt your conversation--though I admit that I find it interesting! I have a question, though:

How much communication should I expect from the admissions office? I submitted my application a little more than a week ago and got an app received Email but I haven't heard anything since. Do they have a status checker? Complete notifications? etc?

Thanks!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:07 pm

blurbz wrote:I don't mean to interrupt your conversation--though I admit that I find it interesting! I have a question, though:

How much communication should I expect from the admissions office? I submitted my application a little more than a week ago and got an app received Email but I haven't heard anything since. Do they have a status checker? Complete notifications? etc?

Thanks!
Very little/none.

No status checker/notification. They don't mind if you call up and ask about the status, though.

Re: Ghey - it was a difficult test, the curve should be lenient.

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:27 pm

blurbz wrote:I don't mean to interrupt your conversation--though I admit that I find it interesting! I have a question, though:

Thanks!
I submitted my app in November. Called them in January. The admissions lady said, "Yes, your application is complete and you should get a decision soon." I had an acceptance less than a week later.

If I hadn't called them, I never would have known that a decision from them was imminent.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:12 am

I talked to Dean Motley several times in the app process and he was very nice and got back to me very fast. They didn't really contact me other then that however.

I feel for you guys in Ghey, Shreve's test was very straightforward and didn't seem too difficult at all.

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:40 am

kings84_wr wrote: feel for you guys in Ghey, Shreve's test was very straightforward and didn't seem too difficult at all.
I'm clinging tightly to the fact that everyone is talking about how murderous the closed-note multiple choice section was, when it honestly didn't feel that horrendous to me.

However, my essay half was just a pure massacre. Anyway, if I can escape with a B+ I'll have no complaint.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:39 am

Unjust Enrichment wrote:
kings84_wr wrote: feel for you guys in Ghey, Shreve's test was very straightforward and didn't seem too difficult at all.
I'm clinging tightly to the fact that everyone is talking about how murderous the closed-note multiple choice section was, when it honestly didn't feel that horrendous to me.

However, my essay half was just a pure massacre. Anyway, if I can escape with a B+ I'll have no complaint.
I think you guys would cry if you saw how easy or exam was. I really think his curve will be brutal because it was so straightforward.

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:02 am

kings84_wr wrote:
Unjust Enrichment wrote:

I think you guys would cry if you saw how easy or exam was. I really think his curve will be brutal because it was so straightforward.
Yeah, that's just it. Curve will level the playing field. I felt bad after my test got over, felt worse when my friend attempted to greet me with a high five afterward and said he hadn't ever felt this good after a final, but then I heard everyone else griping like crazy about it. At least it seems to be largely agreed-upon that this was a difficult test. The fact that I can realistically hope for a B+ is enough comfort to help me just put the whole thing in the rear view mirror. Onto crim law.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:
Unjust Enrichment wrote:

Yeah, that's just it. Curve will level the playing field. I felt bad after my test got over, felt worse when my friend attempted to greet me with a high five afterward and said he hadn't ever felt this good after a final, but then I heard everyone else griping like crazy about it. At least it seems to be largely agreed-upon that this was a difficult test. The fact that I can realistically hope for a B+ is enough comfort to help me just put the whole thing in the rear view mirror. Onto crim law.
Thats exactly right. You don't necessarily want an easy test, because that means its easy for everyone. I had Shreve years ago and remember thinking exactly the same thing - how everyone thought they crushed it. The curve was ridiculously tight, like 89-90.8 for a B+.

All things being equal, you probably want a harder test so you have more of a chance to separate yourself. I, for one, always wanted a closed book because 1) took crap notes and 2) trusted my memory was better than most of my classmates.

You're going to hear a lot of banter after exams about how unpredictable grading is because your grade really has nothing to do with how well you did. Its only how well you did relative to your peers. A lot of people seem to have trouble grasping that.

Unjust Enrichment

Bronze

Post by Unjust Enrichment » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:24 pm

danquayle wrote:Thats exactly right. You don't necessarily want an easy test, because that means its easy for everyone. I had Shreve years ago and remember thinking exactly the same thing - how everyone thought they crushed it. The curve was ridiculously tight, like 89-90.8 for a B+.

All things being equal, you probably want a harder test so you have more of a chance to separate yourself. I, for one, always wanted a closed book because 1) took crap notes and 2) trusted my memory was better than most of my classmates.

You're going to hear a lot of banter after exams about how unpredictable grading is because your grade really has nothing to do with how well you did. Its only how well you did relative to your peers. A lot of people seem to have trouble grasping that.
One of my profs alluded to that very thing when I visited his office hours. He said everyone will gripe about how grades are random, the professor is an unfair jerk, etc., etc...when the only test in the class that they've seen is their own.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Unjust Enrichment wrote:
danquayle wrote:Thats exactly right. You don't necessarily want an easy test, because that means its easy for everyone. I had Shreve years ago and remember thinking exactly the same thing - how everyone thought they crushed it. The curve was ridiculously tight, like 89-90.8 for a B+.

One of my profs alluded to that very thing when I visited his office hours. He said everyone will gripe about how grades are random, the professor is an unfair jerk, etc., etc...when the only test in the class that they've seen is their own.

This is why boshkoff class has set up a post exam exchange for my contracts class. So people can see exactly what they were up against haha.

But yeah im expecting insane things from shreves curve, his word limits are so short and his test are really easy. Its probably one mistake and you are screwed

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:49 pm

billyez wrote:Public Interest opportunities are all I'm concerned about - besides scholarships anyway. Any info?
There are a number of clinics available, but what the school has been telling us is the way to get a PI job after you graduate is to volunteer as much as you can. PI firms/companies place a lot of importance on hiring people that have PI work as their priority.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”