Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
superflush

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions

Post by superflush » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:26 am

kings84_wr wrote:Anyways last year the theory was if you did not have Steele you did not really learn anything. Not sure if its changed at all.
I think I subscribe to this theory.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:36 am

I wish law school had more prof who are practicing attorneys or at least practiced at some point. Steele and Shreve I think were the only prof's I had who actually practiced, and they were both great. As 1l's its tough to really get a good picture of what actually goes on in a law firm and hearing stories from profs is a great way to learn. Prof's love to talk about themselves so I'd rather hear more interesting and relevant info.

Steele's lecture on how law firms work is something every law student needs to see. ( it explained things like lockstep, partner-associate leverage, the economics of firms, conflict space, how paying market makes law firms lose money, and just general facts about firms) I actually wish he could post the power point online because it was pure gold.

NatSec

Bronze

Post by NatSec » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Buxbaum for Contracts. She worked in Germany doing international securities. Johnsen for Con Law. She was an attorney for Attorney General. For the most part I've been pleased with the mix of academic and practical experience of the professors. Not to say that all the professors I've had thus far were equal, but the mixed bag provides different approaches to the legal topics.

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Am I overpaying by a lot if I get a $625/month one bedroom? (poolside) Are there other apartment complexes nearby that are cheaper?

thmgoodw

New

Post by thmgoodw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:00 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I wish law school had more prof who are practicing attorneys or at least practiced at some point. Steele and Shreve I think were the only prof's I had who actually practiced, and they were both great. As 1l's its tough to really get a good picture of what actually goes on in a law firm and hearing stories from profs is a great way to learn. Prof's love to talk about themselves so I'd rather hear more interesting and relevant info.
Most certainly. I think things might be a little bit different now (as they have an entrepreneurship clinic now, etc.), but other than Secured Transactions, not one single class prepared me one iota for actually practicing corporate transactional law. A class that would have set up a typical asset purchase agreement and include mock negotiation would have been fantastic and practical. I mean, i'm learned civ pro, crim pro and evidence, but graduated law school without knowing what a term sheet was?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chihuahua12

Bronze

Post by chihuahua12 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Am I overpaying by a lot if I get a $625/month one bedroom? (poolside) Are there other apartment complexes nearby that are cheaper?

From my research it's cheaper the further away you are from the school. Also, if you rent a room out of a house or an apartment that was built out of a house it's a bit cheaper as well.

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Steele's lecture on how law firms work is something every law student needs to see. ( it explained things like lockstep, partner-associate leverage, the economics of firms, conflict space, how paying market makes law firms lose money, and just general facts about firms) I actually wish he could post the power point online because it was pure gold.
Thisthisthisthis. I specifically asked him for this power point (but it's not public info) because I thought that the presentation and the whole class was so incredibly helpful. Not only is it something every law student needs to see, but it's something for every prospie and, basically, for anyone who is at all interested in how the legal profession works.

gatorhoosier

New

Post by gatorhoosier » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 pm

I recommend that you live close to school. Most people are satisfied with Poolside.

I live off campus and take the bus to school. This doesn't sound like much, but, especially in the first semester, any wasted time kills you. It is unwise not to live within walking distance to the law school, IMHO.

Is my place slightly nicer. Yes. Is it nice to have trees and fields and open space? Yes. Is it better than Poolside for a 1L? NO.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Does anyone else find the people in the state of Indiana to largely suck? I had an 80 year old woman try to drive me off the road for legally passing her, etc. This might just be eastern Indianans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisnashville

Bronze

Post by chrisnashville » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 pm

LeDique wrote:Does anyone else find the people in the state of Indiana to largely suck? I had an 80 year old woman try to drive me off the road for legally passing her, etc. This might just be eastern Indianans.
Haha. Most everyone I've met down here in Tennessee is actually from Indiana, strangely. They're all very, very cool people who I'm not looking forward to leaving. Of course they don't live in Indiana any more, so perhaps all that's left are aggressive 80-year-olds...

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:24 pm

LeDique wrote:Does anyone else find the people in the state of Indiana to largely suck? I had an 80 year old woman try to drive me off the road for legally passing her, etc. This might just be eastern Indianans.
If an 80 year old woman is driving fast enough to drive you off the road, please get off of your phone, out of the left lane, and preferably, the hell off the road. I honestly don't think I've been passed by a vehicle in Indiana. The "gridlock" in Bloomington or Indianapolis is two stop lights in a row, so perhaps I'm on a different level.

As far as another poster mentioned something about living near school, I personally enjoyed being a distance away from the school. I hung out at a few places and at a few student's places that were within eye shot of the law school. Get the hell away from that place. I can't imagine having to roll over in bed and see the law school in the morning, let alone leaving the law school and getting food at the same place you go every day during school as well. It might just be me, but when I lived within walking distance it sucked. Not sure if the town is big enough to live close... unless if you are fine with always being around the same spot... same restaurants... same gas station... same grocery store... etc.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:11 am

Spoonmanners wrote:
If an 80 year old woman is driving fast enough to drive you off the road, please get off of your phone, out of the left lane, and preferably, the hell off the road. I honestly don't think I've been passed by a vehicle in Indiana. The "gridlock" in Bloomington or Indianapolis is two stop lights in a row, so perhaps I'm on a different level.
It was the opposite, I was trying to pass her and she kept driving left into my lane. At first I thought it was accidental and she was just old and shitty at driving. Then she gave me the finger when I finally got around her, so yeah. I still can't figure out what the hell she was pissed about that she felt the need to try to wreck me over. Or at all.
But yeah - I live near the border for Eastern Indiana, I always find myself behind someone going slow. They almost always have Indiana plates. I've just begun to expect that when someone pisses me off while driving they're from Indiana around here, and I normally don't bitch about drivers from other places (ie: most Ohio drivers complain about Michigan drivers, I've never been able to figure that out).

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:13 am

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:27 am

kublaikahn wrote:
LeDique wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:
It was the opposite, I was trying to pass her and she kept driving left into my lane. At first I thought it was accidental and she was just old and shitty at driving. Then she gave me the finger when I finally got around her, so yeah. I still can't figure out what the hell she was pissed about that she felt the need to try to wreck me over. Or at all.
But yeah - I live near the border for Eastern Indiana, I always find myself behind someone going slow. They almost always have Indiana plates. I've just begun to expect that when someone pisses me off while driving they're from Indiana around here, and I normally don't bitch about drivers from other places (ie: most Ohio drivers complain about Michigan drivers, I've never been able to figure that out).

We only do that to people with Ohio plates.
:D

...wait, I have Ohio plates! Haha. But I'm a native Hoosier from the West/Illinois side of the state. I found driving across Indiana on I-70 that Indiana drivers drive 70mph on the freeway regardless of the posted speed limit. My rule is no more than 5 mph over the speed limit because I have 0 moving violations and would like to keep it that way. So, When I cross from Ohio into Indiana, I speed up from 70 to 75 and am all of a sudden the fastest on the road. Then I'm in Indianapolis, and the speed limit is 50. So, I slow down to 55 and people are zooming past. Feeling pretty confident that I won't be pulled over as the slowest on the road, I break my rule and go up to 60 mph. I'm still the slowest on the road, but I don't feel going any faster than that. I experience the same when driving on 465 (where speed limits are slower in parts because of construction). West of Indianapolis/465, though, people are normal. :)

Anyway, I don't think a sample size of 1 is enough to declare that most people in a state suck. I mean, I know it's not a densely populated state, but 1 example still isn't very statistically significant. ;)

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 am

Hahahahaha. And that's not the only bad driving incident I've had with them, just the only one that truly endangered me. That one was just enough for me to say, "Bitch, I'm writing about you on THE INTERNET"

thmgoodw

New

Post by thmgoodw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:21 pm

IMHO, not nearly as bad as drivers from Ohio. I make the drive from Philadelphia to Chicago maybe 4x a year to visit family. The Ohio drivers are by far the worst.

Why?

First, they drive too damn slow. I'm sorry, but driving the speed limit on the Turnpike just doesn't cut it. I seem like I am the only one who cares about how long it takes to get from point A to point B. Sure,there are slow drivers in lots of states, but I don't think I ever encountered a fast driver with Ohiio plates.

Second, and most importantly, somehow drivers are taught in Ohio that the left lane on an expressway is for something other than passing. I don't think they were taught that you are supposed to drive on the right, and then pass on the left. During the time that I'm driving through Ohio on each of these trips, I will always encounter a minimum of 10 drivers who are tooling along going the speed limit in the left lane of the Turnpike when there are no other cars within 1 mile in any direction (until I catch up to them driving 20+ mph faster than them of course). What the hell. I have lived in PA, IN, IL, MI, PA and NJ and I never (other than a rare occurrence perhaps) encounter that in any other state than Ohio. Then, they seem to get mad at me when I am forced to pass them on the right?!?

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nadiaaa5860

New

Post by nadiaaa5860 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:36 pm

I haven't been able to catch this answer anywhere on their site, but does IU have a policy on working your first year of law school?

RooksWS6

New

Post by RooksWS6 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:48 pm

IU will not let you work more than 20 hours/week as a full time law student--same as ABA regs. Working at all is "strongly discouraged" during the first year. I'll find where I read that and PM you.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:It might just be me, but when I lived within walking distance it sucked. Not sure if the town is big enough to live close... unless if you are fine with always being around the same spot... same restaurants... same gas station... same grocery store... etc.
I think it is just you.

thmgoodw

New

Post by thmgoodw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:12 pm

kublaikahn wrote:
thmgoodw wrote:
IMHO, not nearly as bad as drivers from Ohio. I make the drive from Philadelphia to Chicago maybe 4x a year to visit family. The Ohio drivers are by far the worst.

Why?

First, they drive too damn slow. I'm sorry, but driving the speed limit on the Turnpike just doesn't cut it. I seem like I am the only one who cares about how long it takes to get from point A to point B. Sure,there are slow drivers in lots of states, but I don't think I ever encountered a fast driver with Ohiio plates.

Second, and most importantly, somehow drivers are taught in Ohio that the left lane on an expressway is for something other than passing. I don't think they were taught that you are supposed to drive on the right, and then pass on the left. During the time that I'm driving through Ohio on each of these trips, I will always encounter a minimum of 10 drivers who are tooling along going the speed limit in the left lane of the Turnpike when there are no other cars within 1 mile in any direction (until I catch up to them driving 20+ mph faster than them of course). What the hell. I have lived in PA, IN, IL, MI, PA and NJ and I never (other than a rare occurrence perhaps) encounter that in any other state than Ohio. Then, they seem to get mad at me when I am forced to pass them on the right?!?
It's not passing them on the right that bothers them. It's that you take your hands off the wheel to give them the double bird. The single bird with no eye contact is the only thing that is appropriate.
I thought the rule of thumb was:

<60 years old --> give them the double
60 years old or older --> give them the single

Has this changed?

Of course, when I lived in Chicago, I was involved in an unrehearsed 100% simultaneous octuple bird exchange (driver plus passenger in each car). That brings me a smile everytime I think about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beidoun

Bronze

Post by beidoun » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:50 pm

I am looking at renting at McCoy rentals....anyone have any problems with them?

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:31 pm

beidoun wrote:I am looking at renting at McCoy rentals....anyone have any problems with them?
I can't figure out what apartments they rent out. I'll try to ask someone from SLS if they get a lot of problems with them, but I have seriously never heard of them (probably a good thing).

As long as I'm posting, has anyone checked out lawschoolnumbers? Damn, our numbers are so fine I'd instinctually buy them a drink. I have went from auto-in plus scholarship to fringe waitlist student. 2 years is a hell of a difference.

For instance, the graph: http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
Looks like they are shooting for 166 as a baseline (pretty sure anyone lower is a URM).

Just compare to the rising 3L's: http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
beidoun wrote:I am looking at renting at McCoy rentals....anyone have any problems with them?
I can't figure out what apartments they rent out. I'll try to ask someone from SLS if they get a lot of problems with them, but I have seriously never heard of them (probably a good thing).

As long as I'm posting, has anyone checked out lawschoolnumbers? Damn, our numbers are so fine I'd instinctually buy them a drink. I have went from auto-in plus scholarship to fringe waitlist student. 2 years is a hell of a difference.

For instance, the graph: http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
Looks like they are shooting for 166 as a baseline (pretty sure anyone lower is a URM).

Just compare to the rising 3L's: http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/
Its funny, cuz I actually was waitlisted and didn't get in till July, now it looks like I would have got in with double the money this year. they are shooting hard for that 166 median, I like it.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:57 pm

kings84_wr wrote:
Its funny, cuz I actually was waitlisted and didn't get in till July, now it looks like I would have got in with double the money this year. they are shooting hard for that 166 median, I like it.
Good, I have felt like they ignored the LSAT in favor the undergrad GPA the past few years. Maybe I'm biased, but you could be a playground management major at the worst college and would be 80% in at Indiana in years past. LSAT is something a little more difficult to manipulate. But seriously, I'm glad they are finally trying to bump it up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”