Indiana University - Bloomington students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HungryHippo

New

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 1L's taking questions

Post by HungryHippo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:01 am

ccs1702 wrote:
HungryHippo wrote:Hi, I have finally decided to make an account after months of reading everybody posts, especially "veritas". You just seem like a really cool guy rather than some of the jerks on this site. I applied to about 15 schools, and i'm only starting to hear back from these schools. I'm from California, but my prospects in CA doesn't seem so great. However, I would LOVE to go to Indiana. I have a 165, 3.7. Do you guys think it would be tactless if I send them a letter of intent before a decision has been made?
I think it's entirely unnecessary. You should get some money from them.
The only reason I was contemplating sending a letter was that I applied so late in the cycle. I applied the second week of january. I heard a lot of people saying that applying late can be disasterous. I think I will wait for a decision though. Thanks

HungryHippo

New

Post by HungryHippo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 am

Veritas wrote:
floppymex wrote:Let's rock IUB in the Fall Veritas. My mom made some milanesas today, and I'm sure I'll have the recipe down by August.
:mrgreen:
HungryHippo wrote:Hi, I have finally decided to make an account after months of reading everybody posts, especially "veritas". You just seem like a really cool guy rather than some of the jerks on this site. I applied to about 15 schools, and i'm only starting to hear back from these schools. I'm from California, but my prospects in CA doesn't seem so great. However, I would LOVE to go to Indiana. I have a 165, 3.7. Do you guys think it would be tactless if I send them a letter of intent before a decision has been made?
Hippo! Nice to meet you. Seems like we are in the same predicament, with CA prospects not really working out. As for your IU question, I would wait to send intent until you have your decision. I think you have a more than great shot at an acceptance and a nice scholarship packet!

(how are you feeling about moving to Indiana, btw? I'm still unsure about making the move myself)
I've been thinking about this question a lot too. I grew up in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), and I love hanging around the downtown area. However, everybody I have met that has ever been to Bloomington (granted I only met 5 people) assured me that I will love it there. I don't really care where I end up for work [Midwest, Westcoast, eastcoast (I didn't capitalize eastcoast on purpose)]. And I really love watching NCAA Basketball. (I was a eric gordon fan when he was there). So Indiana is a really high on my list.

Was it just me or was I the only one silently rooting for the Colts at a predominantly pro-Saints Super Bowl party.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:58 am

If I had to use one point to sell the Maurer School of Law to 0L's, it'd be the professors. My Practice group just did mock interviews over the weekend and every single one of us said our favorite class was Contracts and it was because of Professor Bethel. He said he was going to retire, but he's been saying that for years. I'm going to assume he'll stick around for one more year at least.

All of my professors were amazing in their own way. They're either excellent in class teachers, or, in the case of some, willing to go out of their way to help you outside of class.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:20 am

HungryHippo wrote:
Veritas wrote:
floppymex wrote:Let's rock IUB in the Fall Veritas. My mom made some milanesas today, and I'm sure I'll have the recipe down by August.
:mrgreen:
Hippo! Nice to meet you. Seems like we are in the same predicament, with CA prospects not really working out. As for your IU question, I would wait to send intent until you have your decision. I think you have a more than great shot at an acceptance and a nice scholarship packet!

(how are you feeling about moving to Indiana, btw? I'm still unsure about making the move myself)
I've been thinking about this question a lot too. I grew up in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), and I love hanging around the downtown area. However, everybody I have met that has ever been to Bloomington (granted I only met 5 people) assured me that I will love it there. I don't really care where I end up for work [Midwest, Westcoast, eastcoast (I didn't capitalize eastcoast on purpose)]. And I really love watching NCAA Basketball. (I was a eric gordon fan when he was there). So Indiana is a really high on my list.

Was it just me or was I the only one silently rooting for the Colts at a predominantly pro-Saints Super Bowl party.
I was vocally rooting for the Colts at an obnoxisiously pro-Saints party.

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:23 am

Mulliganstew wrote: All of my professors were amazing in their own way. They're either excellent in class teachers, or, in the case of some, willing to go out of their way to help you outside of class.
Doesn't having good teachers make it harder to get one of the few A's handed out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:07 pm

HungryHippo wrote: The only reason I was contemplating sending a letter was that I applied so late in the cycle. I applied the second week of january. I heard a lot of people saying that applying late can be disasterous. I think I will wait for a decision though. Thanks
Not sure if this can still count considering the increase in applications, but I applied much later than you last year and didn't have a problem with Indiana.

Applying late will just get you more wait lists. It does suck, but Indiana was quick with an acceptance.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:22 pm

narkizopoint wrote:
Doesn't having good teachers make it harder to get one of the few A's handed out?
Not necessarily. They are hard enough to get, and whether a teacher is good or bad the same amount of A's will generally be dished out.

A lot of the teachers test on different things. I had short answer, multiple choice, long answer with words limits, and long answer. I think the A's come from what you can manage to do outside of class and how you prepare for the final, and have little to do with the teacher.

I do agree with what plenty of the other 1L's are saying. I have had a great mix of teachers, most of which are always available.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:28 pm

I understand if you don't want to out yourselves, but I'll be in the 10:55 constitutional law class tomorrow. If any of you are in that class, feel free to say hi. I'll be the awkward one in the polo and khakis.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I understand if you don't want to out yourselves, but I'll be in the 10:55 constitutional law class tomorrow. If any of you are in that class, feel free to say hi. I'll be the awkward one in the polo and khakis.
Both Con Law classes are at 10:55. Also, this is law school. Almost all the guys are awkward and wear polos and khakis.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:48 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I understand if you don't want to out yourselves, but I'll be in the 10:55 constitutional law class tomorrow. If any of you are in that class, feel free to say hi. I'll be the awkward one in the polo and khakis.
Both Con Law classes are at 10:55. Also, this is law school. Almost all the guys are awkward and wear polos and khakis.
DAMN! There isn't a damn thing I can say that would best that statement. :lol:

With the possibility of 4-8 inches of snow, I'm 50/50 on showing up to conlaw.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
Mulliganstew wrote:
DAMN! There isn't a damn thing I can say that would best that statement. :lol:

With the possibility of 4-8 inches of snow, I'm 50/50 on showing up to conlaw.
Yeah seriously I was kinda hoping for a snow day haha.

If you visitors are in Williams Con law you will really like Him i think, enjoy the rest of our pain when he cold calls.

Ive heard good things about Baude though too

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 am

Yeah. No way I'm going to Con law today. If you sit in on Baude's class, you'll love it. He knows so much about SCOTUS.

BearDownChicago

New

Post by BearDownChicago » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:28 pm

for the Indiana 1L's

I met with a recent 2007 alumni and he strongly encouraged me to live at Poolside. He said it was basically all law students and its easy to find people to study with.

Can you guys shed some light on this opinion?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:35 pm

If you can get into Poolside, it's probably one of the best options. Within walking distance, a lot of law students there, and it's a nice complex. Thankfully, though, Bloomington is pretty easy to live in anywhere you end up.

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:00 pm

Veritas wrote: I was thinking today about my other options, mostly about W&L but I keep coming back to IUB. CA schools are not working out so far. I think I need a couple more weeks before figuring out where to visit, though.
I'm in the exact same situation as you (WL v. IUB). Care to share any of your reasoning? (IE; have you visited yet?)

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm not sure what the prof's name was; I'm not sure if my guide ever said it. It was pretty interesting, though - 10th amendment. If I wasn't sold on Indiana before, I am now. I'll wait on Berkeley and Virginia, but I'm now about 100% sure I'll be at IU in the fall.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Must have been Wiliams.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I'm not sure what the prof's name was; I'm not sure if my guide ever said it. It was pretty interesting, though - 10th amendment. If I wasn't sold on Indiana before, I am now. I'll wait on Berkeley and Virginia, but I'm now about 100% sure I'll be at IU in the fall.
Updates please Halibut!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I'm not sure what the prof's name was; I'm not sure if my guide ever said it. It was pretty interesting, though - 10th amendment. If I wasn't sold on Indiana before, I am now. I'll wait on Berkeley and Virginia, but I'm now about 100% sure I'll be at IU in the fall.
What did they look like? And what was their method? Straight socratic, cold calling on one person the entire class or more of a presentation type?

Dave Williams was my fav. He has glasses and reddish hair. He usually sticks with one person the entire class period, but does a lot of speaking himself.

Edit: By the way, the reason I keep haunting this thread is I think you're a pretty good group of guys. I'd be happy to have you guys represent the alma and am cheering for you all to end up there.

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm

It was Williams. As an awesome side note, we don't have conlaw one day next week because he is addressing the UN. He's the man.

Sorry no one knew a damn thing in class today. There were far too many awkward pauses for easy questions. How'd the tour go anyways?

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Spoonmanners

Bronze

Post by Spoonmanners » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:09 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
He's on the front page of the http://law.indiana.edu/ website. (He's the white guy). His Burma stories make him sound like Rambo.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:14 pm

vandalvideo wrote:
Veritas wrote: I was thinking today about my other options, mostly about W&L but I keep coming back to IUB. CA schools are not working out so far. I think I need a couple more weeks before figuring out where to visit, though.
I'm in the exact same situation as you (WL v. IUB). Care to share any of your reasoning? (IE; have you visited yet?)
I haven't visited, but I just got a potential offer from BU that is changing some things for me....

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
He's on the front page of the http://law.indiana.edu/ website. (He's the white guy). His Burma stories make him sound like Rambo.
Ha, no I wasn't questioning the prof- I was trying to be clever in reminding Halibut that I'm anxious to see pics of his visit!

Edited for English.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Veritas wrote:
vandalvideo wrote:
I haven't visited, but I just got a potential offer from BU that is changing some things for me....
Dude! I thought you withdrew from BU?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”