WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AttractiveNuisance

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby AttractiveNuisance » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:47 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
WassAnch wrote:
buslaw4302 wrote:I've never seen a page missing from any textbook and everyone is very cordial... I haven't seen anything even remotely competitive, if anything everyone works together more than I would've ever expected especially ITE. I've missed class on a few occasions and no one has ever refused to give me their notes. Some students have even offered notes without even being asked.

I've had the same experience. I'm guessing that XxSpy trolls against WUSTL because his transfer app was rejected last year.

Are most people happy with their choice to attend? I dread going to a law school where everyone is grumpy about going there/picking it because it was the highest ranked school they could get into.

Hows the social life (no matter how limited it might be due to memos/property readings etc.)?

I transferred in and I really couldn't be happier. Best academic experience of my life and I can confidently say I would put our social scene up against any other law school in the nation and like our chances.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Driving down to STL and staying at a hotel in "the loop" for a few nights. Any suggestions on places to go/see?

jdude

Postby jdude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 am

I would recommend staying at the Moonrise hotel, but if you already have reservations somewhere else you should still stop by and eat at the hotel's Eclipse restaurant.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:47 am

jdude wrote:I would recommend staying at the Moonrise hotel, but if you already have reservations somewhere else you should still stop by and eat at the hotel's Eclipse restaurant.

LOL

me and my gf are in bed right now at the moonrise- sucha cool place. last night we went to blueberry hill and brandts across the street for some live music and had a great town. the townies seem cool.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:27 pm

What are job prospects like in the following cities?

St. Louis
Chicago
Washington DC
New York

I'm not applying to law school till next year.. so if someone can give me an idea of what things will be like in 2014- that'd be great too!

NWP

Postby NWP » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions. I am trying to decide between Wash U and two other schools in the SE, which is where I want to live and practice. One of my concerns with Wash U is that I am really interested in health law and Wash U did not seem to offer many opportunities as far as that is concerned. Can you offer any insight on that? I also was wondering what a typical day is like for a 1L since I have a 2 and 4 year old and am wondering how I will fit in family time with studying. . .

Thanks!

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:33 pm

How is public transit from the areas where law students live? How is cost of living in terms of rent ?

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 am

Do you have any classmates that are aiming for positions in Texas? If so, are they finding them?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:00 am

It would be great if a current WUSTL student (preferably a 2L) would start another one of these threads. This one seems to be dying, and I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask.

santdani

Postby santdani » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:14 am

buslaw4302 wrote:The culture is really very good and when I say collegial, I mean it. It is really something that you would have to see and experience to understand (I do think a tour is a great idea and if I could go back, I would have taken the opportunity [but it would not have changed my decision]). It doesn't feel as if there are far more guys than girls and the girls that are here are some of the most interesting and down to earth girls that I have ever met. I just wouldn't want to deter someone that is genuinely interested solely because there are just a few less females in the class.

And it wasn't a personal insult by any means. By the way, there are some VERY attractive women amongst the class and in the law school (as well as within the UG) if that clears up some of the confusion.

No

edit: also, I can field a few questions

santdani

Postby santdani » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:25 am

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:How is public transit from the areas where law students live? How is cost of living in terms of rent ?

I know a handful of people without a car and they can't wait to get one. I started off in Aug. taking the bus; I did it for a couple of months but it just wasn't feasible here in STL, which is really spread out and poorly connected. I'd say a car is a MUST.

ec2xs wrote:Do you have any classmates that are aiming for positions in Texas? If so, are they finding them?

I know of one guy who's from STL and will be working in Austin this summer...that is it. Having said that, he's also the only one whom I know wanted to work in Texas this summer; WUSTL does have quite a few alumni over there and many came during the winter intersession to participate in networking events.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 am

santdani wrote:
buslaw4302 wrote:The culture is really very good and when I say collegial, I mean it. It is really something that you would have to see and experience to understand (I do think a tour is a great idea and if I could go back, I would have taken the opportunity [but it would not have changed my decision]). It doesn't feel as if there are far more guys than girls and the girls that are here are some of the most interesting and down to earth girls that I have ever met. I just wouldn't want to deter someone that is genuinely interested solely because there are just a few less females in the class.

And it wasn't a personal insult by any means. By the way, there are some VERY attractive women amongst the class and in the law school (as well as within the UG) if that clears up some of the confusion.

No

edit: also, I can field a few questions

1. What is the job outlook for 2Ls? Information on students at 10%, 30%, 50%, and below median would be especially helpful. Obviously the top of the class should be just fine, but I'm curious as to how other students are faring.

2. What are most 1Ls doing? I'd imagine most are going with unpaid work, but I'm curious as to what kind of work people are finding. Anybody finding paid firm work, and if so, what do they do to get it?

3. I've heard that finding work in STL can be difficult, since many firms see people as a flight risk. This concerns me, since my top market choice is St. Louis. What is your perception of WUSTL placing people in St. Louis, and what does the current St. Louis legal market look like?

4. How is the night life/social scene at Wash U? I had a blast at the ASD and enjoyed some of the bars along Delmar, but I'm curious as to whether my one night there was representative of the night life at school.

5. What is your experience like with the CSO? I really liked Dean Spivey during the ASD and I feel like their office seems pretty aggressive in finding students jobs, but I'm curious as to what you think.

Thanks for taking questions.

doezthewustl

Postby doezthewustl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:26 am

1. What is the job outlook for 2Ls? In this economy, top of the class is doing fine, most in the top ~33% have biglaw or midlaw jobs and those below have government, small firm or non-profit. I know at least five people below top ~33% with market paying jobs in major markets. I also know some in the top ~33% with nothing, but I don't think they're trying very hard.

2. What are most 1Ls doing? I can't give you the best answer here, but 1Ls I know have jobs (government, judges, small firms, non-profits). The school gives you a stipend if you work for government or non-profit. A few were lucky enough to get biglaw or midlaw in this economy.

3. StL legal market is like the rest: not great, but not as bad as major markets. I had no problems getting StL offers and I have no ties. Just try to show a genuine interest in staying.

4. How is the night life/social scene at Wash U? It's not NYC, but it's very good.

5. What is your experience like with the CSO? CSO tries hard to help but don't expect jobs to fall on your lap. You have to put in some legwork too.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll bump this in case anyone else can offer me a perspective on some of those questions.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:36 pm

santdani wrote:
Jockin Jay-Z wrote:How is public transit from the areas where law students live? How is cost of living in terms of rent ?

I know a handful of people without a car and they can't wait to get one. I started off in Aug. taking the bus; I did it for a couple of months but it just wasn't feasible here in STL, which is really spread out and poorly connected. I'd say a car is a MUST.

ec2xs wrote:Do you have any classmates that are aiming for positions in Texas? If so, are they finding them?

I know of one guy who's from STL and will be working in Austin this summer...that is it. Having said that, he's also the only one whom I know wanted to work in Texas this summer; WUSTL does have quite a few alumni over there and many came during the winter intersession to participate in networking events.

I'm very interested in this. Could you tell me if this guy is 1L or 2L and how much legwork did he have to do to get a job in Austin?

Jason321123

Postby Jason321123 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 pm

I have a couple of questions. Also thanks in advance.

1) Is the Legal Practice and Legal Reasoning/Research classes graded on a letter grade or is it P/F?
2) Any tips you could give?
3) How does the exams work with the laptop-exams?
4) Is Wi-fi banned in classrooms?
5) How was your housing situation? Which areas are known areas that are loud/obnoxious/etc. that you might want to avoid if need be?

buslaw4302

Postby buslaw4302 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:38 pm

1) Is the Legal Practice and Legal Reasoning/Research classes graded on a letter grade or is it P/F?

LP and LRM are both given letter grades, LP is 2 credits in the Fall and 2 in the Spring and LRM is 1 credit given at the end of the year.

2) Any tips you could give?

Probably the best advice is to follow the advice and instructions of your LP professor, and making sure to spend enough time on each of your assignments.

3) How does the exams work with the laptop-exams?

During in-class exams we use Softtest which locks out any other programs and is just like a simple, no-frills word processor. You download it and the exam files during the semester and just open it in the exam room. Pretty simple altogether, but if you are not comfortable with it, you always have the option to handwrite your exams.

4) Is Wi-fi banned in classrooms?

Wi-fi is available in every classroom (although some classrooms have stronger signals than others) and is not "blocked" from use in the classrooms. Some professors that do allow computers do not allow internet access (because it is distracting) as part of their class rules, but it varies by professor. Other professors have banned computers during lecture. I had 2 classes like this my first semester and personally, although I hated the thought it it, I prefer no computer during class.

5) How was your housing situation? Which areas are known areas that are loud/obnoxious/etc. that you might want to avoid if need be?

I live close to the school and have had no problem getting to and from school, its about a 3 minute ride for me. Most people live in the CWE, others in Clayton, some in the Loop--it really just depends on how you study and what type of living situation you prefer because each area is unique.

Rogoya

Postby Rogoya » Thu May 20, 2010 3:07 am

Hello all. Wash U 3L here. First time poster.

You should all be very excited to be attending Wash U this coming year. It's been an incredible experience for me. As has been pointed out on this thread, people seem quite happy at the law school--certainly not what I expected from a law school experience.

The reason for the happiness seems to be that the law school is thriving. It's an exciting place to be right now. The institution has an elite feel to it. The administration is exceptionally competent, and things run very smoothly/efficiently/effectively. The students are both brilliant and relatively laid back.

I know listening to people on these threads can remove one from reality, since many people who post on these forums like to trash other schools every other day, for reasons I will never understand. However, I can echo some other Wash U posters on here in saying that getting a decent job was relatively easy for me (I am barely above median). I will be working in DC at a firm. The CSO is outstanding, as I am sure some of you have heard. Of course, though, never count on the CSO to get you a job. Do the legwork yourself, and you will find that Wash U is indeed a national school with great name recognition. If you come here, you will be proud of the school--after all, everyone else seems to be.

Anyhow, although this information can't really get at the 'Wash U feel', I figured I'd give you some data on how far Wash U has come along over the years so that you all feel better about your decision.

If you need one, here's a confidence boost:

An article on the dean's tenure thus far. Syverud has just agreed to stay for another 5 years:
http://magazine.wustl.edu/Spring10/Wash ... pirit.html

Some evidence on how Wash U is progressing over the years relative to other law schools given US News indicia. Wustl is well-placed to tie USC this coming year. Over the past years, Wash U's reputation has gone from just above 3 out of 5 to 3.7 out of 5, while peer schools have remained relatively still:
http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2005/05 ... emand.html
http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2006/06 ... chool.html
http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2007/07 ... n-law.html
http://money-law.blogspot.com/2008/08/z ... n-law.html
http://money-law.blogspot.com/2009/07/z ... n-law.html
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s/rankings

Some evidence on faculty hires. Wash U has been hiring more than other schools for some time now, and the scholars are quite good. Peer schools hired around 1 to 2 a year from what I observed.

2010:
Peggie Smith from Iowa
Kevin Collins from Indiana
Adam B. Bedowi (Bigelow Fellow from University of Chicago)
(The year is about halfway over)

2009:
Washington University in St. Louis
Marion Crain from North Carolina.
Annette Appel from Nevada - Las Vegas.
Melissa Waters from Washington & Lee.
David Law from San Diego.

2008:
Bob Kuehn from Alabama
Brian Tamanaha from St. Johns
Hillary Sale from Iowa
Mae Quinn from Tennessee
Scott Baker from North Carolina

2007:
Carl Minzner. JD, Columbia, 2000. Masters of International Affairs, Columbia, 2000. International Affairs Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations. Yale-China Law Fellow, Xibei Institute ofPolitics and Law.
Adam Rosenzweig. JD, Georgetown, 1998. LLM, NYU, 2002. Visiting Assistant Professor, VAP, Northwestern.

2006:
Washington University (St. Louis)

New: Samuel Buell, JD NYU 1992, Emerging Scholars Program, Texas
Emily Hughes, JD Michigan 1997, MA International Relations Yale 1992, Associate Director Death Penalty Clinic DePaul
Rebecca Hollander-Blumoff, JD Harvard 1996, PhD Candidate Psychology NYU, Research Fellow NYU

Have an excellent summer!

nire120

Postby nire120 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:45 am

Hi,

I've read through the thread, and I'm sure there's more information elsewhere, but I had a couple of questions, particularly for 2L or 3L members.

First, I have never been to St. Louis and am moving there "blind." I've researched a few neighborhoods but am still not sure where to live. I am moving from NYC and need to be around nightlife and things to do, but I also want to be in a (relatively) safe area and no more than a half hour commute from school by public transportation. What would you recommend, then, as far as places to live?

Second, I'm going over the recommended reading list but what books would you recommend that would help me be less clueless when I first arrive? Any text books you really like, etc.?

Thanks so much for your help.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:37 am

How do transfers fare in OCI? IE 10-12% from a 40-60 school.
How is Washu's reach in Cali?

Thanks in advance!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:50 am

thexfactor wrote:How do transfers fare in OCI? IE 10-12% from a 40-60 school.

Thanks in advance!

i think unless you already have connections that you can use to help you get a job in california getting there from wustl would be extremely difficult.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:59 am

najumobi wrote:
thexfactor wrote:How do transfers fare in OCI? IE 10-12% from a 40-60 school.

Thanks in advance!

i think unless you already have connections that you can use to help you get a job in california getting there from wustl would be extremely difficult.

I used to think that, but the NALP directory has 18 different California firm offices at OCI.

--LinkRemoved--

Now, you may still need some sort of tangible connection to California for those firms to bite at an interview. And that information is from OCI conducted in 2008, I presume. But if you spent your 1L summer working in California or showed some other particular interest in the state, you might be able to get out there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”