WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shazam
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby shazam » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:35 am

ruleser wrote:
shazam wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Shazam, that's probably good advice. Still, I get very frustrated with many TLSers who think that LA, Chicago, and NY are the only three markets worth being in. 160k or 140k in NY is awesome money, but factor in the COL and all of a sudden it isn't quite the same. I'd be content with a well-paying job in a city like STL, Indianapolis, Nashville, etc. It doesn't have to be V10 or bust.

I get frustrated with them, too! Why are they trying edge me out???

I'd be content here, too. But I want to be more than content. True, there's a higher COL, but for me, there's also a higher QOL (quality of life) issue.

pjarron: Vandy for Chicago, probably slight edge to Vandy in the rest of the midwest, except for Missouri. Although if you want to be in the Midwest, the scholarship at WUSTL probably makes it worth it, since that's where your options will be strongest and vandy has only a slight edge. But its hard for me to compare the two schools since I only know how things were last year. The main difference is in BigLaw or other top salaried firms that recruit much deeper into the class during OCI at Vanderbilt, giving you a lot more breathing room.

Not doubting, just wondering where you heard this from/how you know this?

Not sure if it was the CSO or some students, but they compiled a spreadsheet of where everyone was going two years ago. Looked like top 60 was solid.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:04 pm

I have really liked/loved just about all the stuff I read for WUSTL.....in fact I am driving there next month :oops: In fact, if I get in there is a strong chance i'd end up attending there. Maybe stuff will turn around for class of 2013

buslaw4302
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby buslaw4302 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:07 am

Sorry took some time off...

I could be wrong but isn't this representative of EXACTLY the type of place you would like to go to a law school?

I know for me this an extremely important factor that drew me to WUSTL... For me, the atmosphere at WashU is excellent. Yes, everyone is intelligent but everyone gets along, the "pretty campus, state of the art building, friendly professors, generous scholarships, friendly and interesting classmates, super-well-funded CSO, and top-notch clinic/summer opportunities" are all reasons to enjoy your three years at WashU.

I would prefer this over a cut-throat atmosphere filled with epic gunners, contingent scholarships, unapproachable professors, and dilapidated facilities... right? And a super low COL?

Law school is difficult, why add additional stressors? I'd rather focus on understanding the concepts and classes than spending my 2nd semester of law school freaking out that I would no longer be able to afford my 2nd and 3rd years if I don't get X grades in 4 months...

Plus, the whole premise behind the socratic method is learning from your classmates, by that accord wouldn't you invariably become a better lawyer by being surrounded by "better lawyers?" (Theoretically?)

Yes, it is true-- there are not enough "desirable" jobs to go around, we're in one of the worst times to become a lawyer, but it is not just WashU... its the entire legal system. T10 grads who once had V20 firms on lock are scrambling for any job and those lucky few who did receive offers are deferred until as late as 2012. Where I am from, there are 2L's in the top 5% at the top law school in the state completely striking out completely at OCI for firms in their own state.... its not just us (and as a 1L's and as 0Ls, I think the current 2Ls at ANY school just suffered the heart of the blow).

Additionally, one of the main caveats on this forum is "do not anticipate you will be X rank..." just like predicting your LSAT score... it just doesn't work. The reality is 100% of the class would like to be in the top 10% but only 10% can make that cut. That being said, there are no guarantees that you (or anyone) could assure a class rank at any school in general albeit lower or higher ranked. Go to any school and understand that the odds are you will probably end up at the median. Obviously you don't want or expect to be there, but neither did the other 50% of your classmates.

And as a 1L, to be at the "median" already is ridiculous, no 1L substantive class has any graded assignment yet aside from one single open memo which at most was worth 1/3 of a 2 credit course...

chicoalto0649 : As far as your chances, I would suggest either hourumd.com or lawschoolnumbers.com... they were VERY accurate for my cycle.

hitmon33: Most St. Louis firms will shy away from WashU grads for that reason unless you have some sort of tie to the region. Especially as WashU becomes more nationally recognized, local firms are realizing that WashU students just are not interested in staying in STL and are "flight risks" and will probably work just long enough to get enough experience to transfer elsewhere.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby rondemarino » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:28 pm

^^ Were you replying to anyone in particular?

Regarding your last response, if one can get a job in STL, isn't an out-of-stater going to WUSTL fucked?

buslaw4302
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby buslaw4302 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:37 pm

There are a lot of out-of-state students who can and will be able to go elsewhere. WashU is in an interesting position, we are a top-20 school but have been a top 20 for such a short amount of time that a good deal of law firms are still not accustomed to WashU Law or its students-- it simply is something that can and will take time and good students. I think Spivey and the CSO have got a great plan, they're going around the country to recruit firms, not the other way around. Its a novel approach that not many schools have tried as of yet, but it seems in theory to be a strong idea especially in this economy.
.
Last edited by buslaw4302 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby rondemarino » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:07 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:There are a lot of out-of-state students who can and will be able to go elsewhere. WashU is in an interesting position, we are a top-20 school but have been a top 20 for such a short amount of time that a good deal of law firms are still not accustomed to WashU Law or its students-- it simply is something that can and will take time and good students. I think Spivey and the CSO have got a great plan, they're going around the country to recruit firms, not the other way around. Its a novel approach that not many schools have tried as of yet, but it seems in theory to be a strong idea especially in this economy.

WashU is a top-20 school but ultimately anyone goes to any law school with the mindset that they are entitled to a job, particularly one with a starting pay of $160,000, may need to re-think their decisions.


Not sure who you are arguing against, but no one said that and I doubt few people believe it. However, I, like a lot of other prospective applicants am aware that placement outcomes aren't the same at every school am trying to figure out what my likelihood of getting back to CA is with a WashU J.D. is. Sounds like this is a work in progress at WashU.

Emboss
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby Emboss » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:12 am

I am also a 1L at Wash U.

I am with the majority of Wash U posters here: I do not regret going to this school in the least for all the reasons mentioned above (stunning campus, talented first year profs, laid back/brilliant student body, growing reputation...).

I did get into some higher ranked schools (USC, Vanderbilt, Cornell), but Wash U sold me during my visit. I figured that Wash U would be ranked similarly or (in at least USC's case) higher as the other schools eventually anyway, due to its absurd endowment. At any rate, I have no regrets.

Regarding careers: this is a legitimate concern while researching law schools. Keep in mind though that all law schools--even the lower end of the top 14--are experiencing similar or worse difficulties getting work--and they do not have Wash U-size scholarships to put them at ease. Actually, I have friends at Northwestern telling me that they are having one hell of a time trying to get work. So, Shazam, calm down! There is no reason to freak out for our class. We simply do not know what the economy will look like when the job market starts to matter for us.

Also, keep in mind that Wash U's CSO department is getting enormous (as I recall, about 5 new staff members were hired for CSO over the summer of 2008 alone), and as a previous Wash U poster mentioned, they are very novel in their approach. Supposedly, Wash U's medical school is funneling money into the law school as part of its plan. Also, Dean Spivey is (for some very odd reason) VERY passionate about getting all of us jobs and regularly flies out to recruit employers to hold Wash U students in high regard.

I offer no guarantees, but I did want to put forth the above as a different perspective: I just do not see any need to be alarmist about Wash U in particular. Actually, I am very optimistic about the future of this school, and think it is an excellent choice.

shazam
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby shazam » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:29 am

I'm not saying that we're all screwed. I'm just saying that if you're looking for a certain national biglaw placement experience, then WUSTL is probably not as good an idea as the numbers from 2 years ago might have you believe. I also think that buslaw and emboss are exaggerating the difficulties of 2L's at the lower T14; they're going to be okay.

And buslaw, I agree that WUSTL is an ideal place to spend 3 years of law school. I could not imagine a better law school experience than what I've had so far. But I'm not here to enjoy law school; I'm here so that someone will hire me. "Spivey is trying really hard," is not going to cut it, and this feeling of impending doom is only getting worse as the semester comes to a close.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby rondemarino » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Emboss wrote:I am also a 1L at Wash U.

I am with the majority of Wash U posters here: I do not regret going to this school in the least for all the reasons mentioned above (stunning campus, talented first year profs, laid back/brilliant student body, growing reputation...).

I did get into some higher ranked schools (USC, Vanderbilt, Cornell), but Wash U sold me during my visit. I figured that Wash U would be ranked similarly or (in at least USC's case) higher as the other schools eventually anyway, due to its absurd endowment. At any rate, I have no regrets.

Regarding careers: this is a legitimate concern while researching law schools. Keep in mind though that all law schools--even the lower end of the top 14--are experiencing similar or worse difficulties getting work--and they do not have Wash U-size scholarships to put them at ease. Actually, I have friends at Northwestern telling me that they are having one hell of a time trying to get work. So, Shazam, calm down! There is no reason to freak out for our class. We simply do not know what the economy will look like when the job market starts to matter for us.

Also, keep in mind that Wash U's CSO department is getting enormous (as I recall, about 5 new staff members were hired for CSO over the summer of 2008 alone), and as a previous Wash U poster mentioned, they are very novel in their approach. Supposedly, Wash U's medical school is funneling money into the law school as part of its plan. Also, Dean Spivey is (for some very odd reason) VERY passionate about getting all of us jobs and regularly flies out to recruit employers to hold Wash U students in high regard.

I offer no guarantees, but I did want to put forth the above as a different perspective: I just do not see any need to be alarmist about Wash U in particular. Actually, I am very optimistic about the future of this school, and think it is an excellent choice.


Is this based on something you can point me to? Wash U's move up the rankings is due to a lot of things, but outspending competitors isn't on of them (link 1, see overhead$/student). Also, Wash U appears to be extra generous with scholarship money, but it probably only looks that way because almost all the people on TLS/LSN with T-14 numbers who apply there get massive scholarships (few actually enroll). Plenty of your classmates are paying sticker. The distribution of grant-aid is not very different from peer schools (link 2). Finally, there's this (link 3). I'm sure things have changed since 2000, but not by that much (link 3). Its an impressive endowment, to be sure. Just not impressive enough to think that WashU is going to overwhelm peers schools in the next 2-3 years.

Try not to take this personally. I'm trying to give myself accurate information for this cycle. If WashU went gangbusters in the last 6-7 years and now has an endowment in $300M range, I'm all ears.

Emboss
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby Emboss » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:22 pm

Rondemarino:

For scholarships, I was referring to people who follow Shazam's advice (which apparently I had misunderstood) and go to a lower T14 rather than a top 20 school. It seems (see LSN) absolutely everyone who goes to Wash U over a T14 (Cornell aside, which has lower median numbers than Wash U) get roughly 30k or more (tuition 41k). Wash U sent people extra money without the prospectives even asking during last year's application cycle. I was one. I would have attended the institution for about 15k/year. However, my numbers were not good enough for Georgetown, etc. and they offered me an amount as high/higher than people who do have numbers necessary for the lower T14.

Still, you raise good points about the endowment. Nice job challenging the stereotype of Wash U buying its rank with a massive endowment. Actually, I recently read that famous professors buy into and publicize this stereotype too (e.g. Solove at GW). Still, as you point out, the data circulating around on TLS does not really prove this and even speaks against it. Unfortunately, for most schools, we can't do anything more than infer facts about the endowment, since we are not deans and even a list of endowments by law school would be pretty inaccurate. But the following evidence of Wash U's growing endowment should help you piece together a picture about all of the schools:

1 As you point out, the 2001 Leiter link is outdated. I do hope he updates it. Of course, even then, the Wash U endowment as adjusted for COL is #5 in the nation. USC, at least, is in an extremely high COL area. See its rank in the same table you linked.

2 Obviously, see Wash U's undergraduate endowment, which affects Wash U's law school in the long run. It was $5 billion last I checked. Adjust this endowment for students in the institution, compare it to USC and Vanderbilt, adjust for COL, and you can see that there is much more money to go around.

3 You may say that the law and institution's endowments are distinct, but this is not quite true. The endowments are a little more fluid than that, as many donors do not specify a location for their donations and donors are not the only sources of endowments. For instance, a professor here has stated that the medical school (often ranked #2, #3 in the nation) has now started putting money into the law school for its own prestige's sake. This is due to people choosing lower ranked medical schools as a result of it 'sounding' more impressive to go to them. Needless to say, the medical school is extremely rich. NIH puts absurd amounts into the school, for instance. I can only imagine that because Wash U has an outstanding undergraduate institution and, relatively to the undergrad institution, mediocre graduate institutions, so it would be very strategic at this point to move the other graduate institutions up, as the medical school appears to be trying to do.

4 The expenditures per student that USC reports are pretty strange. My own thoughts while applying is that this number is either 'unique' accounting other schools will eventually discover and emulate or is not sustainable and, at any rate, will not stand well next to Wash U's rising reputation, superior student credentials, new CSO, and mediocre S. Cal. market: Wash U's reputation has been going up by .1 in both areas every few years now for a while (there is a chart on this in TSL), and until it hit #19 (where it has stayed almost without fail), it was the most rapidly rising top law school. Also, Wash U's medians: 167, 3.7; USC: 167, 3.6; Cornell: 167, 6.61; Texas 167, 371. Finally, in 2008, Wash U hired approximately 5 new and very qualified career people. Can't hurt.

5 This year, 5 new professors were hired--I believe 2 were lost?--and at least two new professors are very, very good. This occurred in a very bad economy. The hirings are much better than peer institutions (Leiter lists them). One new prof coming this spring has been ranked #20 on most read professors nationwide for a while now on SSRN (Brian Tamanaha). Another about #67. A third I hear is a very brilliant, young economics guy. I do not have him for class, but apparently he's an excellent teacher, too.

6 In the past 12 years, Wash U has built TWO law buildings, both stunning: half of S Hall and AB Hall. I was shocked by both when I visited, coming from a crappy-building-school myself. This evidences a large endowment, too, as peer schools are considering a new building but cannot afford one, let alone two beautiful/state of the art buildings.

7 Keep in mind that the law school and undergraduate institutions just entered the elite rather recently. New alumni may be in a far better position to donate obscene amounts of money, though this economy may have it otherwise until it improves. Relatedly, alumni are now in a better position to hire or push for the hiring of Wash U students.

8 Dean Syverud and Spivey were both taken from Vanderbilt and are both exceptional at, passionate about their jobs. Syverud is widely held to be one of the most talented law deans in the country. His fundraising and faculty recruitment at Vanderbilt was scary, and he was hired relatively recently at Wash U. He has at least stabilized Wash U in the top 20 and upperclassmen at Wash U are very happy he is here. He appears to be gaming the rankings better than other deans (frankly, all deans are trying to game the rankings, and in that regard I felt while choosing schools that it's better to go to an institution that is good at gaming than one that is not) with transfer students, student credentials, etc.

9 There is a table on Wash U's website that lists endowments by institution on the campus over the last few years. I found it while applying but cannot now. I remember that the number in the millions listed by the law school went up by over 100% over the last four-five years while some other institutions' endowments went slightly down. As I recall, it was not all that difficult to find this table. Perhaps you can find it? I do not want to put you on a wild goose chase (they may have taken the table down), but it may help people.

Anyway, these were some considerations I had while applying. Can't think of other significant ones related to endowment. Otherwise, I just liked the feel of the school and students. Maybe you can add the above considerations to your choice. They are good reason to be very optimistic about the school's future.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby rondemarino » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:47 pm

Emboss wrote:1 As you point out, the 2001 Leiter link is outdated. I do hope he updates it. Of course, even then, the Wash U endowment as adjusted for COL is #5 in the nation. USC, at least, is in an extremely high COL area. See its rank in the same table you linked.


This is one of the reasons I don't like Leiter. The man needs to be certified before being allowed to use numbers. Adjusting for CoL only makes sense if the expenses from endowment income track with the CoL trends (calculated assuming the spending habits of the average consumer). Dell computers cost almost the same whether you're in CA or MO. Barring a good explanation, CoL comparisons are of little value.

Emboss wrote:3 You may say that the law and institution's endowments are distinct, but this is not quite true. The endowments are a little more fluid than that, as many donors do not specify a location for their donations and donors are not the only sources of endowments. For instance, a professor here has stated that the medical school (often ranked #2, #3 in the nation) has now started putting money into the law school for its own prestige's sake. This is due to people choosing lower ranked medical schools as a result of it 'sounding' more impressive to go to them. Needless to say, the medical school is extremely rich. NIH puts absurd amounts into the school, for instance. I can only imagine that because Wash U has an outstanding undergraduate institution and, relatively to the undergrad institution, mediocre graduate institutions, so it would be very strategic at this point to move the other graduate institutions up, as the medical school appears to be trying to do.


Wouldn't surprise me. WUSTL understands how to move up rankings.

Emboss wrote:4 The expenditures per student that USC reports are pretty strange. My own thoughts while applying is that this number is either 'unique' accounting other schools will eventually discover and emulate or is not sustainable and, at any rate, will not stand well next to Wash U's rising reputation, superior student credentials, new CSO, and mediocre S. Cal. market: Wash U's reputation has been going up by .1 in both areas every few years now for a while (there is a chart on this in TSL), and until it hit #19 (where it has stayed almost without fail), it was the most rapidly rising top law school. Also, Wash U's medians: 167, 3.7; USC: 167, 3.6; Cornell: 167, 6.61; Texas 167, 371. Finally, in 2008, Wash U hired approximately 5 new and very qualified career people. Can't hurt.


Yeah, I'm almost certain USC makes up numbers. But WUSTL's class metrics aren't really the result of greater selectivity. If you accept a class of extreme splitters (a 4.0/155 to compensate for a 3.2/161) its easy to engineer an impressive sounding class profile. WUSTL does exactly this. 167 = auto-admit LSAT score, and 3.8 = auto-admit GPA score. Look at how low WUSTL's 25th percentile numbers are - 3.2/161. Conversely, Cornell, USC and Texas actually try to stick to some GPA and LSAT standards.

Emboss wrote:6 In the past 12 years, Wash U has built TWO law buildings, both stunning: half of S Hall and AB Hall. I was shocked by both when I visited, coming from a crappy-building-school myself. This evidences a large endowment, too, as peer schools are considering a new building but cannot afford one, let alone two beautiful/state of the art buildings.


This is pretty impressive.


8 Dean Syverud and Spivey were both taken from Vanderbilt and are both exceptional at, passionate about their jobs. Syverud is widely held to be one of the most talented law deans in the country. His fundraising and faculty recruitment at Vanderbilt was scary, and he was hired relatively recently at Wash U. He has at least stabilized Wash U in the top 20 and upperclassmen at Wash U are very happy he is here. He appears to be gaming the rankings better than other deans (frankly, all deans are trying to game the rankings, and in that regard I felt while choosing schools that it's better to go to an institution that is good at gaming than one that is not) with transfer students, student credentials, etc.


I hear ya. I don't want to go to the next Boston College.

9 There is a table on Wash U's website that lists endowments by institution on the campus over the last few years. I found it while applying but cannot now. I remember that the number in the millions listed by the law school went up by over 100% over the last four-five years while some other institutions' endowments went slightly down. As I recall, it was not all that difficult to find this table. Perhaps you can find it? I do not want to put you on a wild goose chase (they may have taken the table down), but it may help people.


Highly dubious. Ponzi-scheme, a.k.a U.S. economy, helped a lot of endowments in the last five years.

Anyway, these were some considerations I had while applying. Can't think of other significant ones related to endowment. Otherwise, I just liked the feel of the school and students. Maybe you can add the above considerations to your choice. They are good reason to be very optimistic about the school's future.


I am. Just not yet optimistic enough to think it'll get me a job in California in 3 years. I'll have to learn a little more about this.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby rondemarino » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:52 pm

Impressive. MikeSpivey is/was apparently browsing this thread.

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby seatown12 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Just want to say this "shazam" character is not representative of WashU c/o 2012. I suggest everyone take the opinion of someone who recommends reading the E+E for Torts and Contracts BEFORE coming to school with a grain of salt. Most people here are not so stressed out about their careers or school in general. buslaw's description of the people and atmosphere was very accurate. The work has increased dramatically lately but people still find time to kick back and have fun. Last week in fact my torts professor hosted a function for the whole 1L class with free booze in the library reading room.

The CSO has been working hard to develop relationships with firms and other employers in both major and secondary markets. Back in October we had a four day weekend during which the school planned visits for interested students to one firm and one other employer in each of Chicago, New York, DC and St Louis. We were asked a while back to list cities in which we would be interested in working, including smaller markets, but that was designed to give the CSO ideas of new markets to explore and in no way indicated that they were giving up on Chi/NY/DC. I really hesitate to believe any 1L who purports to have hard, updated numbers about what percent of the class will get what job where. I will say though that if you want to go to the West Coast you will have to do a lot of work yourself, which is the situation I'm facing.

You know what, if you are the type of person who is going to be constantly irrationally freaking out about getting a NY BigLaw job then !@#% it, DON'T come here.

doezthewustl
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:37 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby doezthewustl » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:43 pm

rondemarino wrote:
buslaw4302 wrote:There are a lot of out-of-state students who can and will be able to go elsewhere. WashU is in an interesting position, we are a top-20 school but have been a top 20 for such a short amount of time that a good deal of law firms are still not accustomed to WashU Law or its students-- it simply is something that can and will take time and good students. I think Spivey and the CSO have got a great plan, they're going around the country to recruit firms, not the other way around. Its a novel approach that not many schools have tried as of yet, but it seems in theory to be a strong idea especially in this economy.

WashU is a top-20 school but ultimately anyone goes to any law school with the mindset that they are entitled to a job, particularly one with a starting pay of $160,000, may need to re-think their decisions.


Not sure who you are arguing against, but no one said that and I doubt few people believe it. However, I, like a lot of other prospective applicants am aware that placement outcomes aren't the same at every school am trying to figure out what my likelihood of getting back to CA is with a WashU J.D. is. Sounds like this is a work in progress at WashU.


if you have ties to CA and put in some legwork, you should have no problem getting back. i got CA biglaw interviews in this economy and i'm median (still waiting). i know five others with CA biglaw or prestigious government (DOJ). though the majority of my classmates with offers landed jobs in chicago, d.c., new york, and st. louis.

before the economy went sour, WUSTL had off-campus job fairs in Atlanta, Boston, CA, New York and D.C. Each fair had 20-40 big firms. this year, it was more like 15-20 firms each. remember, this is in addition to OCI.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:29 pm

doezthewustl wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
buslaw4302 wrote:There are a lot of out-of-state students who can and will be able to go elsewhere. WashU is in an interesting position, we are a top-20 school but have been a top 20 for such a short amount of time that a good deal of law firms are still not accustomed to WashU Law or its students-- it simply is something that can and will take time and good students. I think Spivey and the CSO have got a great plan, they're going around the country to recruit firms, not the other way around. Its a novel approach that not many schools have tried as of yet, but it seems in theory to be a strong idea especially in this economy.

WashU is a top-20 school but ultimately anyone goes to any law school with the mindset that they are entitled to a job, particularly one with a starting pay of $160,000, may need to re-think their decisions.


Not sure who you are arguing against, but no one said that and I doubt few people believe it. However, I, like a lot of other prospective applicants am aware that placement outcomes aren't the same at every school am trying to figure out what my likelihood of getting back to CA is with a WashU J.D. is. Sounds like this is a work in progress at WashU.


if you have ties to CA and put in some legwork, you should have no problem getting back. i got CA biglaw interviews in this economy and i'm median (still waiting). i know five others with CA biglaw or prestigious government (DOJ). though the majority of my classmates with offers landed jobs in chicago, d.c., new york, and st. louis.

before the economy went sour, WUSTL had off-campus job fairs in Atlanta, Boston, CA, New York and D.C. Each fair had 20-40 big firms. this year, it was more like 15-20 firms each. remember, this is in addition to OCI.


Visiting campus next thursday and spending the night there. Any suggestions for entertainment/good bars around the area?

buslaw4302
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby buslaw4302 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:23 pm

Bar Louie is usually good on Thursday nights but if you are interested in seeing daily student life or sitting in on classes, I think it may be better for you to visit early in the spring if possible. Wednesday is the last day of classes which starts the reading week for finals which are the following two weeks.

doezthewustl
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:37 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby doezthewustl » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:12 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:Bar Louie is usually good on Thursday nights but if you are interested in seeing daily student life or sitting in on classes, I think it may be better for you to visit early in the spring if possible. Wednesday is the last day of classes which starts the reading week for finals which are the following two weeks.


+1. it's close to finals and you'd get a better idea of daily student life if you visit in the spring. as for entertainment, there are too many bars to name. blueberry hill in the loop is good and so is bar louie. there are a ton in the central west end, clayton and downtown that are great as well.

tinsleyc1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby tinsleyc1 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:25 am

This might sound a bit shallow, but I grew up in Western Kentucky with strong ties to the St. Louis athletic scene. I'm a huge baseball and hockey fan, and specifically a huge Cardinals and Blues fan--is there a lot of interest amongst the student body for St. Louis pro sports?

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:01 pm

WUSTL employment information:
--LinkRemoved--

Date: October 8th, 2009 9:58 AM
Author: St. Louis Finance Dood (born in 1884)

Dear Reader,

I write that this may chronicle the last memories of the apocalypse occurring here in the Lou. The story in today's P-D about a roving band of marauders (SLUH->double WUSTL, I suspect) breaking up Schlafly's last night led me to believe the situation is much more dire than I originally anticipate. (I've attached a clipping here, dear reader.)

Career Services just sent out an e-mail promising pizza and a discussion of future employment options to "concerned 2Ls." I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out, but I will do my best.

Best,

Yr. Humble Svt.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12936090)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 9:59 AM
Author: longwangpoontang

did ANYONE at the WUSTL get biglaw?

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12936094)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 10:18 AM
Author: The Senator

It's never happened.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12936178)


Reply

Date: October 12th, 2009 6:41 PM
Author: longwangpoontang

I heard that they used to get BIGLAW, back when we rode on dinosaurs to law school.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12972247)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 10:07 PM
Author: USCGould3L

st. louis finance dood, did you really go to wustl?

i never imagined it was that bad because i know 2 wustl doods with biglaw ITE. both on secondary journals

i give this thread a 175. major lulz

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12941131)


Reply

Date: October 9th, 2009 12:54 AM
Author: Greetings

SUBTLE SCREWTAPE LETTERS TROLLING WERMWOOD TO YA MOTHA

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12942749)


Reply

Date: October 9th, 2009 2:18 AM
Author: the heart is a lonely hunter

i am loving your schtick.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12943321)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 10:53 AM
Author: St. Louis Finance Dood (born in 1884)

Dear Reader,

The situation is grim. In my 2L gunner course this morning (Federal Evidence of Courts in Advanced Civil Procedure or some shit), the feminist chick teaching jokes that with 1/3 of the class absent, "There must be a lot of callbacks!" This from the same cunt who makes weekly jokes about how she drives a "non curat LEXUS." Yeah, A-B is funding your whorish lifestyle.

Really, "callbacks" (if one can call a second round of screening interviews near Wash Ave. a "callback") ended a month ago, but don't tell the clueless professors that. They think that the law market is just dandy.

My own bitterness is just a coping mechanism, I guess. The guy next to me was licking envelopes. He told me that every day since August 1, he'd send a copy of his resume to Kirkland and Sidley. "My grandpa lived in Chicago when he was 7, and I've always dreamed about practicing there," he muttered, rocking forward on his chair as he sealed a letter dated "November 2." "One of these will click with them, I know it."

I don't know where the rest of the class was. Some probably drunk; others shopping for resume paper. But those who *did* show up looked like the 1L gunners all over again. The front row was crowded; hands shot in the air at every raised inflection in the prof's voice; and highlighters clacked and rolled down the tables.

The lunch meeting will be dangerous, I fear.

Best,

Yr. Humble Svt.



(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 11:00 AM
Author: longwangpoontang

licking envelopes in class?

[shudders]

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12936381)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 11:03 AM
Author: The Messiah

At least the lofts downtown are cheap.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12936403)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 11:01 AM
Author: disabled CA man wheeling toward a small business

Some good shit in this thread.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12936389)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 11:02 AM
Author: Small-Titted Landbeast (Worst parodier ever.)

Good reading for some reason. I hope he keeps it up.

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 11:17 AM
Author: Dr. Science

Agreed.

Sorry WUSTL people, I'd like to try to help, however, pursuant to the debacle that has been my tenure with the firm, they have vowed never to hire another WUSTL grad.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12936493)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 11:18 AM
Author: bleedingdry1

This thread has potential.

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 11:58 AM
Author: St. Louis Finance Dood (born in 1884)

Dear Reader,

A group huddled quietly in the library, apparently tossing out the names of schools that they'd turned down for the massive bribes from WUSTL. Names included Indiana, Illinois, Notre Dame. I think a guy dropped "Georgetown," but he must have meant PT, or else he was lying.

Then I saw a girl Xeroxing her Duke waitlist letter. "I'm going to attach this to my resumes," she nodded assuredly between copies 184 and 185. "This will show them that I had excellent potential as a law school applicant."

The worst, though, might have been one guy who looked, well, happy. *Extremely* happy. Like he'd just won the lottery. A bit taken aback, I tapped his shoulder and asked why he was smiling.

"I'll be externing-slash-clerking," he said, without a hint of irony at the "slash," "for a GREAT judge in Clayton this summer." I asked if it was state court. "Yes," he said, but lowered his voice. "You'd be surprised to see the serious cases that this judge gets. There are some fascinating torts cases involving Monsanto, and I'm going to be on the front lines." He grinned again. "I love our career services!"

Oh, God. Here was a victim. In a panic, I rushed blindly to the washroom. Running hot water, I hastily pumped soap over my hands and lathered heavily. I splashed my face with cool water, and looked up in the mirror.

I would not be next. Surely, I could avoid this.

Best,

Yr. Humble Svt.

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:54 PM
Author: ...,........

178, especially for the "Duke waitlist letter" comment.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938159)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 11:59 AM
Author: the wrassler

i like this thread

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12936899)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 12:57 PM
Author: St. Louis Finance Dood (born in 1884)

Dear Reader,

306 was a house of horror. But, dear reader, I must be faithful to my cause, and chronicle to you the terrible sights I witnessed.

It was like looking into the end of the world. I saw groups of zombie-eyed 2Ls sluggishly traipse through the doors, tripping over notebook power cords and plowing through heaps of well-tabbed supplements. Imo's boxes littered the floor, some faces smeared with provel and blood-curdling cries of "NOT ANOTHER BRYAN CAVE POWER POINT!"

Up front was one of the recent, desperate, CDC-gowned career services minions, sent to euthanize more than to employ at this point. She desperately spoke over the din of three 2Ls huddled in a corner, each holding an Imo's box over their heads and chanting Hail Marys. She got out, "There are *many* *excellent* opportunities outside of 'big law,'" but then there was a clamor.

"GIVE US JUST ONE SLOT AT COVINGTON," a baritone 2L shouted, to the roar of approval and applause. She glanced nervously at her exit routes.

"Please," she begged, "there *are* jobs out there, just ask Kurt." At this, she beckoned another smiling, cheerful 2L, eyes glazed over in delight, sporting a thick stack of glossy "What Can I Do At As A Legal Intern At St. Louis County Parks & Rec?"

"THOSE ARE ONE-L HANDOUTS," a girl shrieked, and others fled the classroom. Many trampled for the doors, shoving anxiously to escape.

I am sad to report, dear reader, that five could not escape; they took the handouts, and succumbed.

As I pushed my way out, I met a four 2Ls on law review. One looked at me with scorn when I asked what they planned on doing. "The only thing we can," he remarked. "Get a jeep. Drive to Kansas City as fast as we can. I hear that there are a couple of offers still outstanding at Husch. It's the only way to escape."

I wished them well as they zipped their computer bags with the last of their ivory resumes and slipped out a back door.

I fear I may not have much longer, dear reader. But I shall remain faithful as long as I can.

Best,

Yr. Humble Svt.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12937313)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 1:01 PM
Author: jonnyBlaze



(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12937364)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 1:11 PM
Author: Small-Titted Landbeast (Worst parodier ever.)

TYVMFT.

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 1:27 PM
Author: Dr. Science

Epic and suprisingly full of WUSTLy facts.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12937556)


Reply

Date: October 9th, 2009 11:04 AM
Author: ..,,,....,.,.,.,,.,,,,,...

Is "WUSTLy" the proper adjective?

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 10th, 2009 3:14 PM
Author: Oozy Rat in a Sanitary Zoo

Yes.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12955149)


Reply

Date: November 1st, 2009 4:35 PM
Author: Adjective Assault on a Wise Latina

Unquestionably.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#13146422)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:15 PM
Author: guy who did the Zelda dungeon post (retd.)

they used to pull this shit even in the heyday of big firm hiring. "Have you considered Omaha? Tulsa?"

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:45 PM
Author: tyvmft

lol @ the Husch reference

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938120)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:56 PM
Author: ...,........

tyvmft

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938175)


Reply

Date: October 9th, 2009 12:57 AM
Author: the wrassler

180

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12942773)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 1:04 PM
Author: dr. joseph smith's rotting corpse, esq. (do something positive with your life you piece of shit)

great thread dood

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12937381)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 1:18 PM
Author: VandyOrDie

Tell us how Spivey is doing for you? is he the euthanizer in chief?

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:02 PM
Author: jagerbombs

tell me more

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12937832)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:28 PM
Author: ........... ........ .

180 trillion

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:40 PM
Author: St. Louis Finance Dood (born in 1884)

Dear Reader,

I witnessed an unfortunate stand-off between a group of nervous 2Ls, stomping in front of the law school, and a group of administrators laughing on their way back from lunch at the Knight Center. (One still had a bit of vanilla soft-serve ice cream on his upper lip.)

There was a tense moment, the 2Ls, Global Studies memberships in one hand, stepped forward to confront the wide-eyed administrators.

"Give us a job," one student barked. "You bribed us to come here. Now get us the hell out of here!"

Then that beady-eyed chief of the administrators stepped forward, cleared his throat, and began, "I know the chatblogs have whipped you into a frenzy..."

"THERE'S NO SUCH THING!" an exasperated girl cried, hurling a journal to his feet.

"Look, I'm sure I can arrange for a judge in Madison County to give you a call? Eh? And that's Il-li-noi-ois," he drawled in a slight-sing song. "And Illinois is where Chi-ca-go iiiis..." he lingered.

At this, dear reader, I am afraid I can't tell what happened next. Who started it, really. Two administrators lurched at the crowd, pressing swiftly through a gap for the door. Three 2Ls lunged forward, seeking to tackle someone, anyone. But one 2L was swayed by the honeyed word "Chicago," and hastily tripped his fellow student, shouting happily, "YES! I WOULD LOVE TO INTERN IN MADISON COUNTY THIS SUMMER! YES, YES, A THOUSAND TIMES YES!"

I turned away, the sight too grim to behold. But at this, I saw a pink flier on the door to A-B, partially obscured by another flier with some photo of Warren Buffet and downtown Omaha. It was torn, but it said, "Skad... Interview slots st... Visit the Career Ser..."

With hope, dear reader, I shall investigate. It is faded; it may prove fruitless; but, nevertheless, I feel that there may be an end to this journey.

Best,

Yr. Humble Svt.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938096)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:46 PM
Author: The Messiah

everyone knows Madison county is great for litigators...if you're in BIGPLAINTIFSSATTORNEYlaw

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938127)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:47 PM
Author: Dr. Science

I hate BIGPLAINTIFFSATTORNEYlaw.

I hope the entire plaintif's bar dies in a massive civic center collapse.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938131)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:58 PM
Author: ...,........

roffles. Be sure to mention Ted Drewes at some point in this fantastic schtick.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938192)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 9:40 PM
Author: WUSTLJD08

Also Pop's.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12940958)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 3:14 PM
Author: Gregor

LOLicopters. TY, sir.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938278)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 4:33 PM
Author: 4thTierShitbird

ah, the chatblogs. I remember that lunch-time meeting...I should have asked for a refund at that moment.

You know what the difference is between Global and Thomas Cooley Law Review? Cooley's cite is in the Blue Book.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938791)


Reply

Date: October 10th, 2009 7:50 AM
Author: runningclub

If indeed you have hope, then, as a necessary consequence, you will secure legal employment.

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 2:47 PM
Author:    



(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938129)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 3:33 PM
Author: St. Louis Finance Dood (born in 1884)

HEY EVERYONE,

I DON'T KNOW WHY I WAS SUCH A NEGATIVE-NELLY IN MY EARLIER ENTRIES, SO I THOUGHT I'D SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT.

THINGS ARE *GREAT* HERE AT WUSTL. I WENT TO CAREER SERVICES, AND WHILE THAT FLIER WAS FROM A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, THEY POINTED ME TO A *GREAT* OPPORTUNITY IN CHESTERFIELD WITH A SOLO PRACTITIONER THAT I'LL PROBABLY TAKE IF THEY'LL HAVE ME.

THERE ARE MANY, MANY WUSTL STUDENTS WITH MULTIPLE OFFERS IN EVERY ELITE MARKET AROUND THE COUNTRY. GIVEN THAT WUSTL IS A T-19 SCHOOL, THIS IS NOT SURPRISING. LIKE ITS PEER SCHOOLS (UCLA, CHICAGO, GEORGETOWN, ETC.) IT HAS A NATIONAL REPUTATION AND TREATS ITS STUDENTS WELL.

SORRY FOR WASTING YOUR TIME WITH ALL THIS NEGATIVITY EARLIER! THINGS ARE GOING EXTREMELY WELL WHEN IT COMES TO 2L EMPLOYMENT.

TOODLES!

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 3:35 PM
Author: The Messiah

The best yet. Bravo! You had to have gone to WUSTL for undergrad, no?

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 3:39 PM
Author: ...,........

flame. WUSTL peers include Yale and Harvard, nothing less.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938390)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 4:26 PM
Author: guy who did the Zelda dungeon post (retd.)

SINCERELY, LITTLE GIRL

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 3:47 PM
Author: ..,,,....,.,.,.,,.,,,,,...

very good, all around.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12938436)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 7:27 PM
Author: longwangpoontang

agreed

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 8:31 PM
Author: ..,,,....,.,.,.,,.,,,,,...



(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12940449)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 9:08 PM
Author: ''';;;;';;;;...'

outstanding effort.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12940708)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 9:34 PM
Author: Gunner at TTT arguing assault is a slippery slope

moar

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12940902)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 9:36 PM
Author: WUSTLJD08

I hate that I find this funny. I had a good experience doing the WUSTL.

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 9:54 PM
Author: ...,........

any idea what its really like there this year? i had friends who were 1/3 with secondary journal who struggled to get anything outside of STL in good times.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12941039)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 9:59 PM
Author: WUSTLJD08

No, no idea. We were, like I understand most schools to be, very siloed within our own class.

But the picture painted here isn't totally unreasonable to me.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12941079)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 11:38 PM
Author: ..,,,....,.,.,.,,.,,,,,...

w/e

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12941985)


Reply

Date: October 12th, 2009 1:39 PM
Author: Dr. Science

I did too. And I'm miraculously employed as a result.

But this thread is still 180.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12969705)


Reply

Date: October 8th, 2009 10:15 PM
Author: WV resident with ironic confederate flag tattoo

I think St. Louis is probably a pretty cool town. Just stay inside the CWE.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12941184)


Reply

Date: October 9th, 2009 2:15 AM
Author: Ctrl Alt Delete (rearing my head in teh XO airspace since 1999)

Best thread in MONTHS. And this from a one-time WUSTLer.

Bravo, Sir.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12943310)


Reply

Date: October 10th, 2009 7:44 AM
Author: Gunner at TTT arguing assault is a slippery slope



(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12953211)


Reply

Date: October 10th, 2009 7:51 AM
Author: runningclub

Above all else, it was true.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12953213)


Reply

Date: October 10th, 2009 3:09 PM
Author: Oral_Roberts, RIP

agreed

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12955104)


Reply

Date: October 12th, 2009 1:32 PM
Author: St. Louis Finance Dood (born in 1884)
Subject: CRITICAL ACCLAIM FOR "WUSTL EMPLOYMENT APOCALYPSE"

"Good reading." -Small-Titted Landbeast

"Epic and suprisingly full of WUSTLy facts." -Dr. Science

"Just another excuse to bump my own thread." -St. Louis Finance Dood

"Best thread in MONTHS." -Ctrl Alt Delete

"I find this funny." -WUSTLJD08

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12969657)


Reply

Date: October 12th, 2009 1:42 PM
Author: lalalalallalalalalaa

just disappointed there wasn't more :-D

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12969722)


Reply

Date: October 12th, 2009 1:50 PM
Author: Dr. Science

ty

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12969791)


Reply

Date: October 12th, 2009 3:38 PM
Author: VandyOrDie

MOAR!

also, what was Spivey's quote on this?

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12970533)


Reply

Date: October 12th, 2009 6:40 PM
Author: Gunner at TTT arguing assault is a slippery slope

moar

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply

Date: October 12th, 2009 7:32 PM
Author: Ctrl Alt Delete (rearing my head in teh XO airspace since 1999)

yes, moar.

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#12972721)


Reply

Date: November 1st, 2009 3:29 PM
Author: schlerbagon

bump for a 180 thread

(http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... 2#13145817)


Reply Edit Your Message

Date: November 1st, 2009 8:51 PM
Author: ,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,.,,,.,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,,

This is why you don't go to TTTs like WUSTL. It's t12 or bust bitches (***Newsflash*** it's Georgetttown and CornellTTT this year).

(--LinkRemoved--)


Reply Edit Your Message

Date: November 1st, 2009 9:16 PM
Author: ,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,.,,,.,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,,

This thread is fucking hilarious. Most more right meow.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:37 am

How is the competitiveness amongst the students at WUSTL? From a guy who graduated a few years ago, I heard that it used to be pretty bad. Has it improved?

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:How is the competitiveness amongst the students at WUSTL? From a guy who graduated a few years ago, I heard that it used to be pretty bad. Has it improved?


The real question is do you think WUSTL students on TLS will admit to it being competitive? ... I'd imagine when students are paying $50K+ /year to attend that school and not very many students are getting biglaw things get competitive (even more then a few years ago when top 1/4 or top 1/3 got biglaw).

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:27 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:How is the competitiveness amongst the students at WUSTL? From a guy who graduated a few years ago, I heard that it used to be pretty bad. Has it improved?


The real question is do you think WUSTL students on TLS will admit to it being competitive? ... I'd imagine when students are paying $50K+ /year to attend that school and not very many students are getting biglaw things get competitive (even more then a few years ago when top 1/4 or top 1/3 got biglaw).

Very true. This guys said that the stories you hear of kids tearing pages out of library books were true at WUSTL when he was there.

buslaw4302
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby buslaw4302 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:37 pm

I've never seen a page missing from any textbook and everyone is very cordial... I haven't seen anything even remotely competitive, if anything everyone works together more than I would've ever expected especially ITE. I've missed class on a few occasions and no one has ever refused to give me their notes. Some students have even offered notes without even being asked.

User avatar
WassAnch
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby WassAnch » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:17 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:I've never seen a page missing from any textbook and everyone is very cordial... I haven't seen anything even remotely competitive, if anything everyone works together more than I would've ever expected especially ITE. I've missed class on a few occasions and no one has ever refused to give me their notes. Some students have even offered notes without even being asked.


I've had the same experience. I'm guessing that XxSpy trolls against WUSTL because his transfer app was rejected last year.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:29 pm

WassAnch wrote:
buslaw4302 wrote:I've never seen a page missing from any textbook and everyone is very cordial... I haven't seen anything even remotely competitive, if anything everyone works together more than I would've ever expected especially ITE. I've missed class on a few occasions and no one has ever refused to give me their notes. Some students have even offered notes without even being asked.


I've had the same experience. I'm guessing that XxSpy trolls against WUSTL because his transfer app was rejected last year.



Are most people happy with their choice to attend? I dread going to a law school where everyone is grumpy about going there/picking it because it was the highest ranked school they could get into.

Hows the social life (no matter how limited it might be due to memos/property readings etc.)?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gregfootball2001 and 8 guests