Michigan 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby The Brainalist » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:48 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
Actually I've been surprised at how well things have turned out. For some people it's certainly been nerve wracking since some firms have really taken their time. At this point though, I personally don't know many (any actually) 2Ls looking for firm jobs that don't have one. I actually know more 3Ls who were no-offered that don't have jobs than 2Ls. Obviously this isn't statistical information about the state of things overall though.


Thanks for answering questions. The bolded part above confuses me. Is that like the unemployment rate, where they don't count unless they are "actively seeking" or do you mean that some people are doing other things for summer? As a follow up, if they have non-firm work, did they go through OCI and not get anything and change gears (like an adaptive preference) or did they skip OCI and go straight to whatever else it is they are doing?

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:02 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
Actually I've been surprised at how well things have turned out. For some people it's certainly been nerve wracking since some firms have really taken their time. At this point though, I personally don't know many (any actually) 2Ls looking for firm jobs that don't have one. I actually know more 3Ls who were no-offered that don't have jobs than 2Ls. Obviously this isn't statistical information about the state of things overall though.


Thanks for answering questions. The bolded part above confuses me. Is that like the unemployment rate, where they don't count unless they are "actively seeking" or do you mean that some people are doing other things for summer? As a follow up, if they have non-firm work, did they go through OCI and not get anything and change gears (like an adaptive preference) or did they skip OCI and go straight to whatever else it is they are doing?



I was talking about people looking to do public interest or government or something like that.

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby The Brainalist » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:06 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
Actually I've been surprised at how well things have turned out. For some people it's certainly been nerve wracking since some firms have really taken their time. At this point though, I personally don't know many (any actually) 2Ls looking for firm jobs that don't have one. I actually know more 3Ls who were no-offered that don't have jobs than 2Ls. Obviously this isn't statistical information about the state of things overall though.


Thanks for answering questions. The bolded part above confuses me. Is that like the unemployment rate, where they don't count unless they are "actively seeking" or do you mean that some people are doing other things for summer? As a follow up, if they have non-firm work, did they go through OCI and not get anything and change gears (like an adaptive preference) or did they skip OCI and go straight to whatever else it is they are doing?



I was talking about people looking to do public interest or government or something like that.


Okay, so those people don't even do OCI. Good to know.

braun223
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby braun223 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Have you come across any transfer students? Or heard anything about how they are treated or how hard it is to get in? Stigma?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby Bronte » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. Sorry about confusing your years. Great to hear that it's not an absolute bloodbath. Obviously Michigan is very strong so one would hope they could weather the storm to an extent.

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby The Brainalist » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:20 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
Actually I've been surprised at how well things have turned out. For some people it's certainly been nerve wracking since some firms have really taken their time. At this point though, I personally don't know many (any actually) 2Ls looking for firm jobs that don't have one. I actually know more 3Ls who were no-offered that don't have jobs than 2Ls. Obviously this isn't statistical information about the state of things overall though.


Thanks for answering questions. The bolded part above confuses me. Is that like the unemployment rate, where they don't count unless they are "actively seeking" or do you mean that some people are doing other things for summer? As a follow up, if they have non-firm work, did they go through OCI and not get anything and change gears (like an adaptive preference) or did they skip OCI and go straight to whatever else it is they are doing?



I was talking about people looking to do public interest or government or something like that.


Okay, so those people don't even do OCI. Good to know.


Sorry to quote myself, but re-reading it I realized that I was jumping to a conclusion. Does pretty much everyone do OCI or did the people who ended up looking for public work and government just opt out of it? Basically, I'm wondering if people gave up after not getting firm jobs through OCI and then changed approaches or whether they go through something separate without going through OCI.

I know this sounds confusing, but I don't really know much about how the whole thing works.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby Alexandria » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:58 pm

It's a mix. Some people really want govt but do OCI anyway bc it's easier... they apply for all sorts of jobs. Also, there are some non-firms who come to OCI. There are also people who end up looking for public interest bc they don't get firm jobs. And some people who don't bother w OCI bc there is something else they specifically want to do.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby Alexandria » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:00 pm

braun223 wrote:Have you come across any transfer students? Or heard anything about how they are treated or how hard it is to get in? Stigma?


You should talk to PKSebben... he's a 3L who transferred in last year.

I know a few... I think they are treated fine.. mostly you don't know they are transfers right away until you get to know them and they tell you.

User avatar
DMV Messiah
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby DMV Messiah » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi! Thanks everyone for answering these questions. I'm going to be taking the LSAT in February 2010, and applying to Michigan in the 2010 cycle. A couple of questions

1) Could you tell me a little more about what MAP entails? It sounds cool, but at the same time I picture everyone sitting in a circle playing a bunch of humiliating games. Am I wrong?

2) How is the Career Services office at Michigan? If you chose to do so, can you work with them closely during your 1L, 2L and 3L years to try and find employment and opportunities in Public Service, Biglaw, Gov't, Clerkships, etc...?

Thanks!

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby Alexandria » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:34 pm

I have always had a really good experience w Career Services, but I haven't ever needed anything special. I think that's when people start not liking them... when they're not going through the normal "system" (OCI, clerking, etc.). One thing you have to keep in mind is that their goal is to get as many students employed as possible... not to get you your dream job.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:38 pm

1) Could you tell me a little more about what MAP entails? It sounds cool, but at the same time I picture everyone sitting in a circle playing a bunch of humiliating games. Am I wrong?



There is a tiny bit of that but not very much. Mostly there talks run by students and profs on how to go about jumping into law school. There are also a few practice classes where profs tell you how they're expecting you to prepare and what they're looking for in general.

The biggest aspect to MAP is really the social aspect. There are a lot of food events including a nice banquet on the first night. People also tend to go out.... A LOT.

User avatar
DMV Messiah
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby DMV Messiah » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:45 pm

awesomepossum wrote:There is a tiny bit of that but not very much. Mostly there talks run by students and profs on how to go about jumping into law school. There are also a few practice classes where profs tell you how they're expecting you to prepare and what they're looking for in general.

The biggest aspect to MAP is really the social aspect. There are a lot of food events including a nice banquet on the first night. People also tend to go out.... A LOT.


SOLD!

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Alexandria wrote:I have always had a really good experience w Career Services, but I haven't ever needed anything special. I think that's when people start not liking them... when they're not going through the normal "system" (OCI, clerking, etc.). One thing you have to keep in mind is that their goal is to get as many students employed as possible... not to get you your dream job.



I also think it's important to find someone you like. During 1L I met with quite a few Career Services folks until I found someone that I thought really worked well with me and then I stuck with that person. There were others that I didn't like that other people do like.

My guess is this is good advice for most schools actually.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Do you hold it over OSU's head that, while your football program might be inferior to theirs, your law school is clearly in much more prestigious standing?

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:54 pm

OSU has a law school?

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby rondemarino » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:55 pm

OSU?

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby Alexandria » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:29 pm

rondemarino wrote:OSU?


Oregon State, I think.

ankit
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby ankit » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Can I live on campus with my wife (is it permitted / conducive)? Or do I have to opt for off-campus accomodation?

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:26 pm

ankit wrote:Can I live on campus with my wife (is it permitted / conducive)? Or do I have to opt for off-campus accomodation?


there is married housing but it's really far. You probably just want to get off campus.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:04 am

awesomepossum wrote:
ankit wrote:Can I live on campus with my wife (is it permitted / conducive)? Or do I have to opt for off-campus accomodation?


there is married housing but it's really far. You probably just want to get off campus.


That's the Northwood housing... see above (I think in a post on this same page) for my response about that.

Edit: OK, maybe it's a page ago.

tumbleweed664
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby tumbleweed664 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:19 pm

What is life like for gay students?

I've heard positive things from admissions, but wouldn't mind hearing an actual student's perspective.

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby Alexandria » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:28 pm

I'm not gay, so hopefully someone who is can give you a first-hand answer. However, I have a couple of very close gay friends and many other gay friends here, and I have never gotten the sense that they have felt any sort of prejudice at the law school at all, if that's what you're worried about. Outlaws (LGBT student group) is very active. And I def don't see any sort of gay/straight division at all.

User avatar
jackassjim
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:58 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby jackassjim » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what proportion of fun/interesting, but not necessarily practical courses, a Michigan student would be able to take during his JD studies. Here, I'm thinking about philosophy or history of law, law and econ, law and humanities, etc.

Of course, that might not be a wise investment; taking too many of those courses is probably not a very good strategy for job placement. Still, I'm curious. I know that the first year curriculum is pretty fixed, but I was wondering: is it possible to embark on JD studies at Michigan with simple intellectual curiosity, without the need to be too practical?

Alexandria
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 am

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby Alexandria » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:14 am

jackassjim wrote:Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what proportion of fun/interesting, but not necessarily practical courses, a Michigan student would be able to take during his JD studies. Here, I'm thinking about philosophy or history of law, law and econ, law and humanities, etc.

Of course, that might not be a wise investment; taking too many of those courses is probably not a very good strategy for job placement. Still, I'm curious. I know that the first year curriculum is pretty fixed, but I was wondering: is it possible to embark on JD studies at Michigan with simple intellectual curiosity, without the need to be too practical?


You can take tons of stuff like that. This is why I joke that all I do is take Con Law over and over again (many varieties). There are very few upper level requirements. You have to take Transnational Law. You have to take a class that fulfills the requirement of writing a paper. You have to take a class that fulfills your ethics requirement. That's about it.

A lot of people will tell you (and I'm definitely in this camp) to take whatever you want. You have to relearn the practical stuff in your bar course, even if you take it in law school, bc you've forgotten it by then and bc it's taught in more of a black letter law kind of way. There are certain classes I take with my career in mind, but I'm still taking them because I have an interest in them. If I'm not interested (or not interested enough to pass up some other class instead), I don't take it.

User avatar
jackassjim
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:58 pm

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Postby jackassjim » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:24 am

Thanks for the reply Alexandria,

That sounds like good advice and good fun. Have you had trouble registering in courses so far (class is full or something like that)?

Also, there's a huge list of courses on the website. Is this just for show or are most of them actually thought from time to time?

Thanks!!

http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_ClassSch ... UpperClass




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: raidr and 1 guest