Michigan 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Alexandria

Silver

Re: Michigan 1L taking questions

Post by Alexandria » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:34 am

jackassjim wrote:Thanks for the reply Alexandria,

That sounds like good advice and good fun. Have you had trouble registering in courses so far (class is full or something like that)?

Also, there's a huge list of courses on the website. Is this just for show or are most of them actually thought from time to time?

Thanks!!

http://cgi2.www.law.umich.edu/_ClassSch ... UpperClass
No, I wouldn't say I've ever had trouble. There have been a couple classes I haven't gotten in the initial registration, but I've managed to get them in drop/add. We have a system where you have two priorities that you can spend during your time at Michigan, and they give you a bump to the front of line instead of just relying on the seniority-weighted lottery. I just registered for my last semester (we don't know results of registration yet), and I still had one left (you get it back if you try to spend it and didn't really need it to get into the class), so I checked the box for every single class I was trying for.

I would say to look at the class schedules instead of the class list to get a feel for what is offered. I think a ton of different things are offered, but there is probably stuff on that other list that has only been offered a couple times, when a particular prof was visiting or something. And then another prof comes and teaches a really similar class, but it's given a different title and description bc it's not quite the same.

(OTOH, I know awesomepossum used both of his priorities his 2L year.)

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 am

Alexandria wrote: (OTOH, I know awesomepossum used both of his priorities his 2L year.)

:(

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 am

Very interesting. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:15 pm

I'm going to be visiting next week. I've got a tour, class, and admissions meeting all set up. Is there anything that I should be doing other than that? Any must-sees? Lunch/dinner ideas?

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I'm going to be visiting next week. I've got a tour, class, and admissions meeting all set up. Is there anything that I should be doing other than that? Any must-sees? Lunch/dinner ideas?
RICKS!
just kidding. unless you like that sort of thing (aka binge drinking, loud music, and dancing all while in a room that looks like a bomb shelter).

Edit: In terms of food, it depends what youre in the mood for and your price range. Ann Arbor has a little of everything. For a nice dinner I would head to Main Street (Palio, Gratzi, Real Seafood, and the Chop House are all really good but pricey - esp chop house). Also my personal favorite is Pizza House, assuming your in the mood for pizza. Its also very close to the law school.
and if you have time go to Zingerman's. Best deli ever. anywhere. it was featured on oprah.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Looking through the admissions website, I can't see anything about any admitted student weekends. Does anyone know if there is one, and if so is it worth attending?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Looking through the admissions website, I can't see anything about any admitted student weekends. Does anyone know if there is one, and if so is it worth attending?
There are typically two (March and April, I believe), but I don't know about plans for this year. Probably the same.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:38 pm

I mean, I am ED, so if I get in I have to go there, so it won't help me in any kind of decision-making capacity, but I think I'd still like to attend said weekend - again, assuming they let me in.

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Any must-sees? Lunch/dinner ideas?
Have a beer with jackassjim? But seriously, you kinda have to eat a sandwich from Zingerman's. Ashley's a nice pub, they have about 100 different kinds of beers. I don't personally like Pizza House. IMO, it's just the same greasy junk you get at a thousand other places.

The University's Museum of Art opened a new wing this year. It's free and usually has some pretty cool pieces. You don't have to spend all day there; it makes for an hour well spent.

If you're here on Wednesday or Saturday, the farmer's market is pretty nice. Zingerman's is right next to it, and it's all at about a 15 minute walk from the Diag (the heart of Central campus). The law quad is still quite pretty even if the colored leaves are gone. Just a few weeks back is was just fabulous.

Come back and tell us how much you hate the library's carpet. It's quite a sight, I assure you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jacko

New

Post by jacko » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:38 pm

jackassjim wrote:
Have a beer with jackassjim? But seriously, you kinda have to eat a sandwich from Zingerman's. Ashley's a nice pub, they have about 100 different kinds of beers. I don't personally like Pizza House. IMO, it's just the same greasy junk you get at a thousand other places.

The University's Museum of Art opened a new wing this year. It's free and usually has some pretty cool pieces. You don't have to spend all day there; it makes for an hour well spent.

If you're here on Wednesday or Saturday, the farmer's market is pretty nice. Zingerman's is right next to it, and it's all at about a 15 minute walk from the Diag (the heart of Central campus). The law quad is still quite pretty even if the colored leaves are gone. Just a few weeks back is was just fabulous.

Come back and tell us how much you hate the library's carpet. It's quite a sight, I assure you.

I'm glad you confirmed my initial reaction. I thought that the online pictures just might not be doing it justice. :D

jjskas

New

Post by jjskas » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:39 pm

jacko wrote:
jackassjim wrote:

I'm glad you confirmed my initial reaction. I thought that the online pictures just might not be doing it justice. :D
That green carpet was chosen, because it apparently reflects light better than any other color, and it is supposed to make the library seem cheerier during the long winters here. It just makes me feel like I am at a swimming pool at a cheap hotel. Then again, I avoid the library at all costs anyway.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:05 pm

http://www.law.umich.edu/library/info/a ... rumlib.pdf

Never been to the law library, but after looking at this e-tour, I must concur that the library carpet is hideous.

tumbleweed664

New

Post by tumbleweed664 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:40 pm

jjskas wrote:
jacko wrote:
jackassjim wrote:

That green carpet was chosen, because it apparently reflects light better than any other color, and it is supposed to make the library seem cheerier during the long winters here. It just makes me feel like I am at a swimming pool at a cheap hotel. Then again, I avoid the library at all costs anyway.
I toured the school and had EXACTLY the same feeling.

A question everyone is sick of hearing, I'm sure: How has OCI and the job search been for y'all? Particularly in California.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:53 pm

I just visited Ann Arbor this weekend.

Is it possible that Ann Arbor is one of the friendliest, if not, the most friendly place in America? In other words, I absolutely LOVED it there and it instantly became my number one choice. I also spoke to one of the deans of admissions and had a very good productive conversation.

As a URM (Mexican American with a very unique story) can I expect a 0% bump from Michigan? I ask just because I am below both 25ths but my numbers are still nor horrible (3.3, 163 grrr). However, I still see URMs with admits or waitlists on LSN that are below Michigan's 25ths....anyways just wondering how the Adcomms get around this due to Michigan's newly passed constitutional amendment....

Thanks!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:57 pm

The best thing to do is to write a diversity statement or otherwise write about your diversity. The measure that U of M law school takes to comply with the law is that whatever is on the app with a "race box" is removed before people who make admissions decisions look at them. The obvious way to get around that is to discuss your diversity elsewhere.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:07 pm

awesomepossum wrote:The best thing to do is to write a diversity statement or otherwise write about your diversity. The measure that U of M law school takes to comply with the law is that whatever is on the app with a "race box" is removed before people who make admissions decisions look at them. The obvious way to get around that is to discuss your diversity elsewhere.
Thanks.

I know it's a long shot ,but worth it in my mind. I broached the subject a little bit in my conversation and got a pretty standard textbook response.

On a side note, the Law School Admissions building definitely needs to be upgraded! It looks pretty run-down and not befitting for one of the most respected law schools in the world.

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:14 pm

Any idea what percent of 2Ls who bid on OCI have summer positions during the summer of 2010?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goblue1646

New

Post by goblue1646 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:07 am

Is Michigan Law Mac friendly? I'm nervous because the website says they "recommend buying a PC if you want to take your exams on laptops."

Except I just got a lovely new Macbook Pro. :roll: So...does that mean I can't take exams on my shiny new Mac?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm

goblue1646 wrote:Is Michigan Law Mac friendly? I'm nervous because the website says they "recommend buying a PC if you want to take your exams on laptops."

Except I just got a lovely new Macbook Pro. :roll: So...does that mean I can't take exams on my shiny new Mac?
It's very Mac friendly. Wherever you found that on the website must be out of date. They came out with the Mac version of the software we use for exams during my fall 1L semester (and I'm GRADUATING in 8 weeks).

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey everyone... thanks for taking questions from us neurotic 0L's. One discernible difference I have found between Michigan and other schools I am looking at is the number of classes you take as a 1L. Michigan students take 3 doctrinal classes a semester, but the others all make you take 4 the first semester, and 2 the second. How does this play out practically? Do you think first semester is a little less stressful because of this than at other peer schools? I know this question is hard to answer, but any thoughts?

Also, how is LRW? Thanks!

orphanarium

Bronze

Post by orphanarium » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Last edited by orphanarium on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:24 pm

orphanarium wrote:Hi Mich Students! Thanks for taking our questions.

1) What is the drinking culture like at Mich? I say this as someone who does not drink - not that I judge people who do - but if drinking was a requirement to socialize, then that's something I would definitely consider in choosing a school.

2) How is life at one of the graduate school co-ops?

3) What happens during "Law School Alumni Receptions"?

1) There is a lot of drinking. Many/most social events involve drinking. But people won't judge you if you don't drink. There are people who go out and don't drink and that's fine. In that respect I'd be surprised if we're really different from any other school.

2) I wouldn't recommend it. I personally think it's too far removed from the law school...I'm not talking strictly distance, but accessibility.

3) You meet alumni? Eat, drink (or not in your case), be merry.

ReveDunSoir

New

Post by ReveDunSoir » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:14 am

Hello,

Thank you for taking questions.

I read through this thread, and while you discussed housing for married couples my situation is a little different. My sister and I would both like to attend U-M, but she would be going as an undergrad and I would be a law student. We'd like to room together, if possible. Are you aware of any housing option available on campus that would suit such a need or would we have to seek off campus?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:30 am

ReveDunSoir wrote:Hello,

Thank you for taking questions.

I read through this thread, and while you discussed housing for married couples my situation is a little different. My sister and I would both like to attend U-M, but she would be going as an undergrad and I would be a law student. We'd like to room together, if possible. Are you aware of any housing option available on campus that would suit such a need or would we have to seek off campus?

My guess is that you'd be looking for something off campus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”