Southwestern Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hadlendale

Re: Southwestern Law

Postby Hadlendale » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:02 am

Bump...Rising Southwestern 2L if anyone has any questions I'll keep an eye on this thread for the next few days.

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:41 am

Anybody have any insight on the part time evening program? I just accepted an offer today and would love to know more about it.

Thank you!

sbuzz

Postby sbuzz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:54 pm

I was wondering if you could comment on Southwestern's professor quality....how approachable are they, are they sincerely concerned with helping their students in and out of the classroom, etc.?

I am very interested in entertainment law (LSAT 159 GPA 3.54) and wondering what kind of externships, job prospects SW legitimately offers.

Any info on any of this would be appreciated!

stadt

Postby stadt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:40 am

Would like some advice from 2Ls, 3Ls on what supplements they thought were best for success in the first year. I've been reading a lot of information on different books and styles but there doesn't seem to be much consensus other than buy the E&Es. I noticed there are also Glannon series, Siegel's, Understanding, Law in a Flash, certain books recommended for specific classes but not others. Anyway I'm ordering books soon and I'd rather do it online than pay a small fortune for them at the bookstore. Danke!

Hadlendale

Postby Hadlendale » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Addressing the above:

In regards to the evening program -- I can't really say, I'm full-time day. From what I hear though it's great.

On the professors -- My 1L professors were absolutely amazing. I felt they all exceeded the quality of any professor I had in undergrad (went to a UC). They are all very approachable and I got to know them all well in office hours. I found no law school stereotype professors that will bear down on you with the socratic method. It's used a lot, but professors are friendly and don't harp on you. I've received direct personal advice and counseling from a number of professors. They're there, you just have to ask for it.

In regards to entertainment law -- If you want entertainment law, you're in the right place. Southwestern deals out tons of entertainment lawyers. It's not my desired field, so I can't really comment too much on it. I do know that there were tons of entertainment-related externships offered to us 1Ls and many of my friends have externships/internships with entertainment firms and corporations right now. There are lots of entertainment opportunities in Los Angeles, but you'll want the best grades possible seeing as how you'll be competing with higher ranked law schools.

In regards to supplements -- I don't understand how people can pull supplements before they even get the syllabus for their classes. All syllabuses I had recommended at least one supplement and I'd advise to get that one. I didn't use too many supplements my first year. I found the key was focusing on learning what the professor wanted and if I had trouble understanding something I spent time with them in office hours rather than with a supplement. I used EnE for Contracts and Civ Pro. They weren't exactly "helpful", but if nothing else they present material in a different, refreshing voice while you study and can give you good articulations for your exams.

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Any insight on Professor Krone or Professor Carpenter?

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Anybody have any suggestions on what to wear to orientation? Is it pretty casual or more business-like attire?

Hadlendale

Postby Hadlendale » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 pm

ljeucla wrote:Anybody have any suggestions on what to wear to orientation? Is it pretty casual or more business-like attire?

It's very casual. It's an all-day thing. Staff members last year were dressed in fun "I <3 Southwestern" camp counselor style t-shirts.

Also, no insight on Krone, but Carpenter is probably the nicest professor that exists in law school anywhere. She is a total sweetheart, but don't underestimate her class. I thought everything was a total breeze in that class and it ended up being my worst substantive grade of the year.

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:08 am

Hey there, new TLS user here, I was wondering if someone could offer me advice regarding my chances on being accepted this cycle. Given my 2.3 ugpa from UC Irvine (just graduated), 164 lsat score, URM status, and a tad bit above average job experience for someone my age (22). Given my raw numbers and desire to stay in CA, SW is my top choice. What do you all think? Perhaps even ED??

Hope to hear back ASAP!

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:30 pm

SplitLife wrote:Hey there, new TLS user here, I was wondering if someone could offer me advice regarding my chances on being accepted this cycle. Given my 2.3 ugpa from UC Irvine (just graduated), 164 lsat score, URM status, and a tad bit above average job experience for someone my age (22). Given my raw numbers and desire to stay in CA, SW is my top choice. What do you all think? Perhaps even ED??

Hope to hear back ASAP!

Your performance at UCI suggests to me that you were lazy. I suspect SW will view it much the same way. You may be able to get in with those numbers, but only if you take a few years, get a job, and learn from your mistakes. Applying to law school right out of college with that GPA is, frankly, disrespectful and immature. How exactly do you intend to justify your horrible performance as a college student? Any explanation you can give is, absent extraordinary circumstances, simply not going to fly, even at Southwestern.

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:41 am

Danteshek wrote: Your performance at UCI suggests to me that you were lazy. I suspect SW will view it much the same way. You may be able to get in with those numbers, but only if you take a few years, get a job, and learn from your mistakes. Applying to law school right out of college with that GPA is, frankly, disrespectful and immature. How exactly do you intend to justify your horrible performance as a college student? Any explanation you can give is, absent extraordinary circumstances, simply not going to fly, even at Southwestern.

I was planning on including an addendum notifying the admissions committee of my ADHD diagnosis midway through my 3rd year, after which I earned an average of 3.2 ugpa the rest of my time at UCI with a couple quarters of straight As. All the while I did also hold a job, two in total, both long term--which I could get LORs for (should I??).

I guess this is my overall question, is my addendum going to be enough to give me a shot? I know a whole lot of people don't take the ADD/ADHD thing very seriously because a lot of people use it as an excuse/crutch. But I assure you not everyone is like that, because I am proof. When I was getting those horrible grades, I thought I was just dumber than everyone else at UCI, that I had met my match I guess. But once I was diagnosed and learned my weaknesses in regards to simple study habits, I cleaned it up, quite quickly in fact, hence the LSAT score...

Anyways, let me know what you think please, and thanks for the prompt reply to my last post, hope to hear back soon!

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 pm

It probably will not work. Plenty of people with learning disabilities much more serious than that have accomplished a lot more than you have. You have no track record of success. You need to take a few years and show that you can succeed at something.

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Danteshek wrote:It probably will not work. Plenty of people with learning disabilities much more serious than that have accomplished a lot more than you have. You have no track record of success. You need to take a few years and show that you can succeed at something.

Okay makes sense. What would you say would be the best thing for me to do in those couple years? Most people say: "Anything, just do it consistently." But I'm thinking there must be certain jobs/internships that are more highly valued than others for people in my situation, what do you think?

Also, for future reference, would you say that SW is a school that gives weight to URMs or no? (I know the student body is very diverse, but I'm curious as to whether or not that is intentional.)

Lastly, do you think in the time I take off, I should work on trying to better my LSAT score as well or just be content with my 164?

Thanks again!

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Danteshek wrote:
SplitLife wrote:Hey there, new TLS user here, I was wondering if someone could offer me advice regarding my chances on being accepted this cycle. Given my 2.3 ugpa from UC Irvine (just graduated), 164 lsat score, URM status, and a tad bit above average job experience for someone my age (22). Given my raw numbers and desire to stay in CA, SW is my top choice. What do you all think? Perhaps even ED??

Hope to hear back ASAP!

Your performance at UCI suggests to me that you were lazy. I suspect SW will view it much the same way. You may be able to get in with those numbers, but only if you take a few years, get a job, and learn from your mistakes. Applying to law school right out of college with that GPA is, frankly, disrespectful and immature. How exactly do you intend to justify your horrible performance as a college student? Any explanation you can give is, absent extraordinary circumstances, simply not going to fly, even at Southwestern.

U mad bro?

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 pm

How friendly is the campus towards the LGBT community?

How is the nightlife?

How easy is it to establish connections with other students (particularly during your first year)? Are there any weekly bar reviews or other social gatherings that allow you to build connections/make friends? How competitive do students tend to be?

stacia137

Postby stacia137 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:46 pm

If there are any Southwesterners still out there.....
I just got my admission packet... was hoping for some $$ (above both 75ths), but nothing in the packet about it.
Does this mean they aren't giving me anything, or do offers come later?
Thanks

mkat27

Postby mkat27 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:45 am

stacia137 wrote:If there are any Southwesterners still out there.....
I just got my admission packet... was hoping for some $$ (above both 75ths), but nothing in the packet about it.
Does this mean they aren't giving me anything, or do offers come later?
Thanks

I have the same question! Got in way back in November, but have not heard anything about scholarships.

indo

Postby indo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:11 am

Danteshek wrote:Thanks. I repeat though that it is hard to get a handle on who is working where within the government.

A few interesting facts about SW:

- SW's library is the 2nd largest law library in California, after Boalt Hall

- SW is the 2nd oldest law school in Los Angeles, after USC

- Final scene in the movie "Ghostbusters" was shot on the top of the Bullocks Wilshire Building

- Jesse Jackson came to speak at SW two weeks ago

Sorry to say who care about Jesse Jackson.

pb2007

Postby pb2007 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 pm

earldeadsby wrote:I just got my October LSAT score that was pretty low (152) and I already have a low GPA (2.84). I'm getting ready to re-take the LSAT in December, but wondered if anyone had an opinion as to my chances into SWL with my current numbers. Any idea?

I have fairly strong softs: creative/diverse PS, excellent LOR, 5 years work experience after udergrad, and current manager of tax team at major investment bank.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah my numbers are exactly like this, however I'm considering the part time evening program. Would that make a difference?

sbuzz

Postby sbuzz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:40 pm

No scholly info in my acceptance packet either. Pretty sure the entering students scholarships require an in-person or phone interview that SW's website indicates the school will initiate. So...I guess we wait? Maybe we have to fill out the FAFSA before they decide what to offer us?

mkat27

Postby mkat27 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Just withdrew. Hope someone gets my spot!

JAYTHABOSS

Postby JAYTHABOSS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:18 am

I have some questions for any current SWLA students still following this thread.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:21 am

I thought Danteshek was a Loyola grad.

North

Postby North » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:25 am

ManoftheHour wrote:I thought Danteshek was a Loyola grad.

Looks like he transferred.

:|

utlaw2007

Postby utlaw2007 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Danteshek wrote:
ejjones wrote:
Danteshek wrote:SW's at graduation employment rate has held pretty steady at 85%, which I think is pretty good. I don't think it's changed significantly because of recession. SW in general is less affected than the schools that rely more on big firm hiring..

In general, SW does a better job than most schools at preparing you for practice. This tends to be true of lower ranked schools in general but is especially true at SW. SW is basically a skills school. There is much more emphasis here on getting real world experience and learning practical skills. This is the real difference between SW and some of the higher ranked schools.

Where did you find that number?

US News and World. Also confirmed by the dean. Our dip to T4 two years ago was attributable to that number falling by a fraction of a % point.

85% is awfully high. It's more like 42.6% according to LST

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=southwestern

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”