University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
countbizaller
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:38 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby countbizaller » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:52 pm

JazzOne wrote:
86revolt wrote:i'm trying to decide between vandy and UT and the fact that Texas Law Review is the #8 ranked law review (as ranked by W&L university) in the country is a decided advantage. but do you have any sense of how difficult it is, relative to other schools, to make it onto the TLR? obviously making it onto any law review is difficult given the writing requirements, but i just want to know if, given the larger class size at UT, getting on the law review is especially difficult. and more specifically, is selection based solely on GPA or is based also on a writing sample?

Law review is based on grades and a writing competition. I'm a 1L, so I'll refrain from speculating about how hard it is to get on LR.



10 spots will go to people based solely off the strength of their writing. 40 will go to people based off a combination of their writing & gpa. I'm not sure if we amend this based on class size. Some of these spots will go to rising 3Ls while the majority will go to rising 2Ls. As far as how difficult it is to get on, that's hard to say. Some of us spent the entire 2 weeks provided to write our essays, others spent 2 days. But since this all takes place right after finals and just as summer jobs are starting up, there will be a portion of the class that doesn't participate in the write-on. That being said, there's nobody on the journal that someone can single out as not belonging. It's a murderer's row of students. Here's the link to the membership part of the website: http://www.texaslrev.com/about/membership

jms1987
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby jms1987 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:38 pm

How deep are big firms going into classes? Top 1/3, top 1/4, etc?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby JazzOne » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:48 pm

countbizaller wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
86revolt wrote:i'm trying to decide between vandy and UT and the fact that Texas Law Review is the #8 ranked law review (as ranked by W&L university) in the country is a decided advantage. but do you have any sense of how difficult it is, relative to other schools, to make it onto the TLR? obviously making it onto any law review is difficult given the writing requirements, but i just want to know if, given the larger class size at UT, getting on the law review is especially difficult. and more specifically, is selection based solely on GPA or is based also on a writing sample?

Law review is based on grades and a writing competition. I'm a 1L, so I'll refrain from speculating about how hard it is to get on LR.



10 spots will go to people based solely off the strength of their writing. 40 will go to people based off a combination of their writing & gpa. I'm not sure if we amend this based on class size. Some of these spots will go to rising 3Ls while the majority will go to rising 2Ls. As far as how difficult it is to get on, that's hard to say. Some of us spent the entire 2 weeks provided to write our essays, others spent 2 days. But since this all takes place right after finals and just as summer jobs are starting up, there will be a portion of the class that doesn't participate in the write-on. That being said, there's nobody on the journal that someone can single out as not belonging. It's a murderer's row of students. Here's the link to the membership part of the website: http://www.texaslrev.com/about/membership

Nobody grades on? I really don't want to do the writing competition.

User avatar
countbizaller
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:38 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby countbizaller » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:20 pm

JazzOne wrote:
countbizaller wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
86revolt wrote:i'm trying to decide between vandy and UT and the fact that Texas Law Review is the #8 ranked law review (as ranked by W&L university) in the country is a decided advantage. but do you have any sense of how difficult it is, relative to other schools, to make it onto the TLR? obviously making it onto any law review is difficult given the writing requirements, but i just want to know if, given the larger class size at UT, getting on the law review is especially difficult. and more specifically, is selection based solely on GPA or is based also on a writing sample?

Law review is based on grades and a writing competition. I'm a 1L, so I'll refrain from speculating about how hard it is to get on LR.



10 spots will go to people based solely off the strength of their writing. 40 will go to people based off a combination of their writing & gpa. I'm not sure if we amend this based on class size. Some of these spots will go to rising 3Ls while the majority will go to rising 2Ls. As far as how difficult it is to get on, that's hard to say. Some of us spent the entire 2 weeks provided to write our essays, others spent 2 days. But since this all takes place right after finals and just as summer jobs are starting up, there will be a portion of the class that doesn't participate in the write-on. That being said, there's nobody on the journal that someone can single out as not belonging. It's a murderer's row of students. Here's the link to the membership part of the website: http://www.texaslrev.com/about/membership

Nobody grades on? I really don't want to do the writing competition.


Gotta do it

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby sternc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 pm

I have two totally unrelated questions. First, do any of y'all know anything about the joint JD-MBA program? Second, from a guy's perspective, are the female students at UT easy on the eyes or what?

law vida loca
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:01 am

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby law vida loca » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:30 am

sternc wrote:Second, from a guy's perspective, are the female students at UT easy on the eyes or what?


reading this post makes me not want to go to UT.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby OperaAttorney » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:15 am

sternc wrote:I have two totally unrelated questions. First, do any of y'all know anything about the joint JD-MBA program? Second, from a guy's perspective, are the female students at UT easy on the eyes or what?



2. From a guy's perspective, the male students at UT are not easy on the eyes. And your post suggests you won't improve the situation. :roll:

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby sternc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:10 am

Ha, y'all are all so sensitive. It's a very natural question. If it bothers you, let it be and move on.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby Esc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:06 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
sternc wrote:I have two totally unrelated questions. First, do any of y'all know anything about the joint JD-MBA program? Second, from a guy's perspective, are the female students at UT easy on the eyes or what?



2. From a guy's perspective, the male students at UT are not easy on the eyes. And your post suggests you won't improve the situation. :roll:


lmao. this response earns a +1 just for sheer awesomeness.

choosing a ls
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:08 am

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby choosing a ls » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:18 am

Any UT perspective on going into PI, probably on the East Coast? I am weighing the options described in this thread and appreciate any advice:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111893

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:38 am

sternc wrote:Ha, y'all are all so sensitive. It's a very natural question. If it bothers you, let it be and move on.


I'm afraid it's a VERY NATURALLY STUPID question. You're at least 21, not 12. Right??
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:43 am

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
sternc wrote:I have two totally unrelated questions. First, do any of y'all know anything about the joint JD-MBA program? Second, from a guy's perspective, are the female students at UT easy on the eyes or what?



2. From a guy's perspective, the male students at UT are not easy on the eyes. And your post suggests you won't improve the situation. :roll:


lmao. this response earns a +1 just for sheer awesomeness.


Thanks, Esc. See you around.

Pro Boner
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby Pro Boner » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:46 am

Don't worry. You will develop law school goggles just like you developed camp goggles. People will become increasingly attractive over time.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:01 am

Pro Boner wrote:Don't worry. You will develop law school goggles just like you developed camp goggles. People will become increasingly attractive over time.


QFT

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby Pearalegal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:24 am

So....do law students go to the football games/tailgate?

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:42 am

Pearalegal wrote:So....do law students go to the football games/tailgate?


some people do, others don't. it certainly isn't required.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby Pearalegal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:09 am

Esc wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:So....do law students go to the football games/tailgate?


some people do, others don't. it certainly isn't required.


Ah, was just wondering if it was a big part of the law school culture. I love football, so it would have been a plus.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:04 am

Esc wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:So....do law students go to the football games/tailgate?


some people do, others don't. it certainly isn't required.


Fo' sho. I've never been to a UT football game.

yournamehere
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby yournamehere » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Pearalegal wrote:So....do law students go to the football games/tailgate?


yes, definitely. most of the law students join a group so we all get seats in roughly the same section. this past year there was a group of about 4-5 1L guys who ran a pretty good-sized tailgate.

i'm sure there will be a few UT alums in class of 2013 who run a similar tailgate. facebook is your friend.

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby soonergirl » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:55 pm

I have a question for you 1 and 2Ls. I've got a family and so I'm trying to figure out how to juggle everything. How much time do you spend on campus each day? I've heard people from some schools tell me you practically live at the law school, and obviously that's not ideal for someone in my position.

thanks!!

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:12 pm

soonergirl wrote:I have a question for you 1 and 2Ls. I've got a family and so I'm trying to figure out how to juggle everything. How much time do you spend on campus each day? I've heard people from some schools tell me you practically live at the law school, and obviously that's not ideal for someone in my position.

thanks!!


Outside of class time, there usually isn't that much need to spend a lot of time at the school itself, especially if you live close by and can go home easily during long breaks. What takes a ton of time is studying. Its easy to breeze through and get median grades, but if you want to get really good grades, you're going to need to study - a lot.

Whether you can study effectively at home will determine how much time you spend at home....

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:50 pm

Esc wrote:
soonergirl wrote:I have a question for you 1 and 2Ls. I've got a family and so I'm trying to figure out how to juggle everything. How much time do you spend on campus each day? I've heard people from some schools tell me you practically live at the law school, and obviously that's not ideal for someone in my position.

thanks!!


Outside of class time, there usually isn't that much need to spend a lot of time at the school itself, especially if you live close by and can go home easily during long breaks. What takes a ton of time is studying. Its easy to breeze through and get median grades, but if you want to get really good grades, you're going to need to study - a lot.

Whether you can study effectively at home will determine how much time you spend at home....


'Tis true.... :(

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby Esc » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:17 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Esc wrote:
soonergirl wrote:I have a question for you 1 and 2Ls. I've got a family and so I'm trying to figure out how to juggle everything. How much time do you spend on campus each day? I've heard people from some schools tell me you practically live at the law school, and obviously that's not ideal for someone in my position.

thanks!!


Outside of class time, there usually isn't that much need to spend a lot of time at the school itself, especially if you live close by and can go home easily during long breaks. What takes a ton of time is studying. Its easy to breeze through and get median grades, but if you want to get really good grades, you're going to need to study - a lot.

Whether you can study effectively at home will determine how much time you spend at home....


'Tis true.... :(


:cry:

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
Esc wrote:
soonergirl wrote:I have a question for you 1 and 2Ls. I've got a family and so I'm trying to figure out how to juggle everything. How much time do you spend on campus each day? I've heard people from some schools tell me you practically live at the law school, and obviously that's not ideal for someone in my position.

thanks!!


Outside of class time, there usually isn't that much need to spend a lot of time at the school itself, especially if you live close by and can go home easily during long breaks. What takes a ton of time is studying. Its easy to breeze through and get median grades, but if you want to get really good grades, you're going to need to study - a lot.

Whether you can study effectively at home will determine how much time you spend at home....


'Tis true.... :(


:cry:


That's why I looked at the fall 2010 schedule, saw fed courts and admin law, and said to myself, "HELL NO!" :lol:

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Hey guys, trying to decide between UVA and UT right now (weigh in here!) and feeling myself inching closer and closer to going with staying in Texas and spending the next 3 years in Austin.

With that said, what would some of you current students say is your biggest complaint/the biggest negatives about UT?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests